• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadRabbit

Smash Rookie
Hey, does Houston still have a good Fox main? I haven't been around in a while (my old username Chris is taken again), and I need some advice for my brother who is training with me for WHOBO. Thanks.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Capcom pooped on SF players.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
The 4th version of Street Fighter 4.

THANK GOD Nintendo doesn't do this crap.

LMAO
M2k (marth) vs Ken (TRUE marth)

skip game one (m2k barely wins) and watch the rest. its SICK. poor ken is mega rusty/behind on the times. It is like watching 2006 marth vs a 2013 marth in 2013.

edit: game 4 on dreamland ken does THE combo. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNMIv8GzQz8

Xyro77

I am selling Resident Evil: Revelations (3ds), Kid Icarus (3ds) and Mario Kart 7 (3ds) for 20$ each. iirc they are 40$ new and 37$ used at GS.

If you want any of these, PM me.

Denti

Smash Master
Dont forget! Fort Worth TX tournament this weekend!! July 20th
Brawl
Project M
Smash 64
smashboards.com/threads/road-to-whobo-event-5-the-2013-fort-worth-classic-july-20th-2013-fort-worth-tx.335761/

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Capcom pooped on SF players.
How? Because they're continuing to advance the game and make balances and scene growth?

And you're right Allan, thank God Nintendo doesn't do this, who knows what a Brawl patch would have been like right?

Xyro77

How? Because they're continuing to advance the game and make balances and scene growth?

And you're right Allan, thank God Nintendo doesn't do this, who knows what a Brawl patch would have been like right?
If you want to play sf4 competitively you must throw out more money each year if you want to still be current/be able to compete with the rest of the world. That i stupid as **** and so is anybody who defends it/buys it. Where as with brawl, you spend 49$ one time and it lasts you 5 years. Or you spent 39$ on melee and it lasted you 12 years.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
P4, pretty much what Allan said. It'd be okay if the DLC was free, but this is Capcom. Expect full price.

Just for reference, SFIV is almost three years old and is about to get a second revision. That's almost CoD status.

Xyro77

P4, pretty much what Allan said. It'd be okay if the DLC was free, but this is Capcom. Expect full price.

Just for reference, SFIV is almost three years old and is about to get a second revision. That's almost CoD status.
isnt it the 3rd revision?

sf4 to ssf4.
ssf4 to ssfae
2012 update was free, right?
ssf4 ae (2012 update) to ssf4:ult

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
If you want to play sf4 competitively you must throw out more money each year if you want to still be current/be able to compete with the rest of the world. That i stupid as **** and so is anybody who defends it/buys it. Where as with brawl, you spend 49$ one time and it lasts you 5 years. Or you spent 39$ on melee and it lasted you 12 years.
For the record:

1. Capcom at least provides some balance patches for FREE. Ver. 2012 was free if you bought AE.

2. Capcom only charges you for additional items. While I won't defend them completely for their on disk content policies, at least with Street Fighter IV, you are getting true DLC.

3. At least they are providing a add on for Arcade Edition owners for $15. So if you bought a copy of Super Street Fighter IV, and upgraded it to Arcade Edition for $15, like I have, you can get the newest characters for $15 more. It is a bargain if you are like me and are forced to be frugal with your gaming $$s.

4. Brawl is a broken game that needed said patches five years ago, but Nintendo had no way to get them out in a timely manner.

Player-4

See you in 25 years

It's $16 bucks to upgrade if you already own AE

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
came out in 2008

and the fans wanted this/are accepting this so who cares anymore
Ah, thanks for the correction.

Sadly, you're correct. And they will make millions because of the fans.
It's $16 bucks to upgrade if you already own AE
$16 too much. It should be free content, or content that should have been included in one of the earlier revisions.

It's a very greedy practice.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
It's a brand new game, not a patch. I don't understand why charging for a new game is greedy or why getting a discount for owning the previous game is greedy?

I get the idea behind it that they're just milking Street Fighter for all it's worth and being lazy in the process, but either way it's still a new game that took money to create.

Suspect

Smash Hero
tbh, I dont see how different this is from brawl to smash 4. That's pretty much brawl with added content and its even on next gen system.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
They're just mad because there are like 4 different versions of the same game but I agree with you Sus.

Edit: Something I find funny is that the people who don't even play SF (RT, Xyro) are the ones upset about it and the people who dabble or play (Sus, Sanji, myself and others) have no problem with it and quite frankly look forward to a new installment.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's okay if you guys like paying for patches.

But don't defend Capcom over greedy practices.

It's what encourages them in the first place. Hell, people today defend on-disc DLC. Don't tell me you guys would defend that **** too.

tbh, I dont see how different this is from brawl to smash 4. That's pretty much brawl with added content and its even on next gen system.
I...really hope you're not being serious. If you can't see the difference between Brawl->Smash 4 and SFIV->SFIVAE->SFIVpatch->USFIV then...

Xyro77

Edit: Something I find funny is that the people who don't even play SF (RT, Xyro) are the ones upset about it and the people who dabble or play (Sus, Sanji, myself and others) have no problem with it and quite frankly look forward to a new installment.

you guys are also mainstream sheep. you accept whatever is thrown at you. u LITERALLY think 15$ to "upgrade" is OK. you LITERALLY think buy character after character after character is OK. you LITERALLY think 4 versions of a game is ok.

its people like you (not YOU but you) that keep giving capcom money and thus they will keep milking the sf4 game.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
To people complaining about DLC in games and stuff, and new games that are basically the same as the previous, be glad you don't play trading card games. I had fun until new cards came out and it was literally "Here, you have to buy one of these $1000+ decks to even have a chance of doing well, because if you don't have one of those, it's worse than using Ganon vs. MK in Brawl."

But IMO, I never liked the thing with how so many street fighter games were made, but I never played the later ones that much. Back when I played those games as a kid, it was usually stuff like "Here, now you have twice the number of characters that you used to have" and that was always really cool. I dunno how much gets added/changed in the current games.

:059:

Ejarel

Smash Rookie
I'm moving out of Cambridge @UH at the end of the month still deciding what i'm gonna keep but if anyone want my couches they go to whoever can take them.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
I think the reason why Capcom people are mad just cause 4/5 of the characters are almost copy and pasted from SFXT minus the mechanic changes. I understand with what Capcom is going for though. As long as the new modes are actually NEW MODES instead of some useless gallery art or BGM listener it's a waste.

P4 you have SF? Let's play :)

Player-4

See you in 25 years
It's okay if you guys like paying for patches.

But don't defend Capcom over greedy practices.

It's what encourages them in the first place. Hell, people today defend on-disc DLC. Don't tell me you guys would defend that **** too.

I...really hope you're not being serious. If you can't see the difference between Brawl->Smash 4 and SFIV->SFIVAE->SFIVpatch->USFIV then...
You're not paying for patches it's new content not a patch there is a difference. You guys make it sounds like all these SF players are paying full price for a patch, it's $16 for a new game in 3 years it's really not that big of a deal.

you guys are also mainstream sheep. you accept whatever is thrown at you. u LITERALLY think 15$ to "upgrade" is OK. you LITERALLY think buy character after character after character is OK. you LITERALLY think 4 versions of a game is ok.

its people like you (not YOU but you) that keep giving capcom money and thus they will keep milking the sf4 game.
So you're a hipster? Good to know. And F u for responding in light gray on my white skin.

I'm not a fan of DLC, and I never said 4 versions of a game is a OK. Only thing I'm defending is the fact that they're coming out with a new game since AE was released in June of 2011, it's now 2 years (gonna be almost 3 by time the game comes out) later and they're putting out new content for $16 (if you own AE) I don't really see how that's a bad thing. Yes they should let the S4 series die and start S5 but **** either way it's gonna be a new game, new buffs, new nerfs, new chars, and a whole new metagame to learn.

I think the reason why Capcom people are mad just cause 4/5 of the characters are almost copy and pasted from SFXT minus the mechanic changes. I understand with what Capcom is going for though. As long as the new modes are actually NEW MODES instead of some useless gallery art or BGM listener it's a waste.

P4 you have SF? Let's play :)
Yeah I do but Keith has my stick :(

Suspect

Smash Hero
Smash 4 is a patched brawl lol. They added HD/characters and not sure what else since it isnt out yet, but its not a major jump like melee to brawl to really call it a true sequel. So its like SF4 Vanilla to Ultra except SF4 has always been HD.

They wont release a new SF until next gen gets started.

BioDG

Smash Ace
I am okay with Street Fighters being updated; balance and added content have their perks. But when you update a game four times, you MUST question if Capcom has defeated the purpose of the term, "update". Especially when the biggest incentive towards the fourth update involves five new characters, yet four of them are recycled from previous titles. Let's also not forget the overlap of profit that would be made from any one piece of content introduced in more than one game as DLC, like Elena.

It's understandable why it would be a welcome business model to SF fans, as many of them only play fighters anyway and a re-sharpened, updated game that revitalizes the scene every time for a fraction of a full retail price reaps its own reward.

However, it doesn't change the fact that gamers are literally getting swindled when stuff like this is supported. I enjoy the Street Fighter games, but I'm not that much of a fan of how Capcom does business, especially with this franchise.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Based from what Ono said, there's no R&D Budget or resources to focus on SFV yet. So USFIV it is at the time being. I wonder if Daigo will continue to continue his top 8 streak in SFIV series. Possible might be easier with possible nerfs on unblockables and vortexes.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I'm sure Daigo will continue being a strong player, if they slightly buff Ryu he could turn out being a consistent top 3 player. Unless he switches it up and picks a new char that's not as good, though the opposite side of the spectrum is true that if he picked up an even better character people might always be looking to catch him.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Based from what Ono said, there's no R&D Budget or resources to focus on SFV yet. So USFIV it is at the time being. I wonder if Daigo will continue to continue his top 8 streak in SFIV series. Possible might be easier with possible nerfs on unblockables and vortexes.
*no time for SFV*

*release 20 versions of SFIV instead*

Okay, now my head hurts...

Bio gets it.

Suspect, come on, don't be dumb. Smash 4 will be different entry in the series. The newer SFIV were all UPDATES to the original game. This is fact.

Xyro77

Smash 4 is a patched brawl lol. They added HD/characters and not sure what else since it isnt out yet, but its not a major jump like melee to brawl to really call it a true sequel. So its like SF4 Vanilla to Ultra except SF4 has always been HD.

They wont release a new SF until next gen gets started.
Since i do not know the correct terms, ill just use a simple guess as to the graphical update the games had. Melee=240p (standard def), Brawl=360p (standard def), Smash 4=720p (maybe 1080?) high def. This alone is a bigger graphical jump than what melee to brawl had.

As for online, since the wiiu wasnt half @$$ed in terms of online play, smash 4 will auto be leagues better that what the wii/brawl had. yea it wont be xb360 good but it will still be a large advancement from wii/brawl. a patch cant do that.

so right off the bat you have to huge major advancements for smash 4 that a patch could not have done for wii/brawl. i cant comment on the characters or stages or modes because we just dont know yet. but to say brawl to smash4 is just a a few patches worth of advancement is short sighted and uneducated at best.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Let's see here.

Vanilla SF II > SF II: Championship ($$$ 4 new chars/balance) > SF II: Turbo ($$$ Speed change/balance) > Super SF II ($$$ 4 Characters/balance) > Super SF II Turbo ($$$ Akuma /super meter/balance)

Vanilla SF III > SF III 2nd Impact ($$$ 3 new chars / balance) > SF III Third Strike ($$$ 5 new chars / balance

Vanilla SF IV > Super SF IV ($$$ 10 new chars) > Super SF IV Arcade Edition ($$$ 2 new chars / balance) > Super SF IV Arcade Edition v2012 (Balance) > Ultra SF IV ($$$ 5 Chars/balance)

So pretty much the series are known to do this. SFII was the worst. SFIV is the first with a free update with v2012. At least we're not paying 40-60 dollars a game for an update like we did for SFII and SFIII.

Xyro77

I thought they said smash 4 will start from the brawl engine but will change it. Different mechanics and engine = not just a patch?
lmao dude dont listen to suspect. a patch for brawl could NOT turn it into smash 4. thus proving smash 4 is not just a patched version of brawl. suspect is just pulling yo leg.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Since i do not know the correct terms, ill just use a simple guess as to the graphical update the games had. Melee=240p (standard def), Brawl=360p (standard def), Smash 4=720p (maybe 1080?) high def. This alone is a bigger graphical jump than what melee to brawl had.
I quit reading right there lmao you are trying WAY too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom