• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gea

Smash Master
I played SOCOM III and then the ps3 game and just sat there and stared at the wall for awhile. btw CY where you been? The server's been up for a couple days yo

CY

Smash Ace
sorry last day of class was literally yesterday and I have finals coming up so i've been a little busy. i'll get on though

edit: and yes, socom 3, Confrontation on the PS3, and SOCOM 4 were complete trash.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I wanna go on the 22nd. I wanna see how I compare to other people at Melee. I've only ever entered 3 Melee tournys before and they were fun, but back then I had no main. I got a main now.

Gea, Iron Man MM soon. Or just for fun, but still. Melee or Brawl. We never got to do that Brawl one.

:059:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
HOBO 1 = Pools Play at Play and Trade in Spring. Back when there was no MK's.

4 years ago O_O

1: T-Rex (snake/wario)
2: Mr.3000 (sonic/dedede)
3: DrMarioKart (metanight)
4: Sethlon (falco/ike)
5: Hylian (g&w/samus)
5: Dr Drew (lucas)
7: Kira (metanight/wolf)
7: Gea (peach/pikachu)
9: G@be (kirby/pkmn trainer)
9: Cesar (toon link)
9: Apoc (metanight)
9: Xyro (samus)
13: Furbs (yoshi)
13: JF (marth)
13: PimpSlap(olimar)
13: Fliphop (diddy)
17: Aiom (wolf)
17: Axxo (rob)
17: Rocket Trainer (lucario)
17: Final (falco)
21-41: pool players

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
That character variety...

Before the dark times...

:phone:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
@CY: SOCOM II is still my favorite shooter out. It still has online to this day, so I tend to play it every now and then, but I suck now. :(
I tried SOCOM III, but I really couldn't get into it. SOCOM II felt like a better game, but I didn't really go into III enough. :applejack:

I think SOCOM II also just had an amazing community. Rarely did I go into random games or play against clans who were complete *******s. But that's pretty much what happens every day on CoD. Or League. Or any kind of online mainstream game.

Gea

Smash Master
I can't believe freakin Hylian outplaced me. I beat his dair up B GW with Peach.

That tournament for most jank setup. Japanese Brawl on a black and white CRT

CY

Smash Ace
@CY: SOCOM II is still my favorite shooter out. It still has online to this day, so I tend to play it every now and then, but I suck now. :(
I tried SOCOM III, but I really couldn't get into it. SOCOM II felt like a better game, but I didn't really go into III enough. :applejack:

I think SOCOM II also just had an amazing community. Rarely did I go into random games or play against clans who were complete *******s. But that's pretty much what happens every day on CoD. Or League. Or any kind of online mainstream game.
nah they took the servers down on august 31st on both socom 1 and 2.

I played that last week for the good ol days

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
He won matches by spamming tornado and drill rush...if only he had known about shuttle loop's true power...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
nah they took the servers down on august 31st on both socom 1 and 2.

I played that last week for the good ol days
My sadness is endless.

He won matches by spamming tornado and drill rush...if only he had known about shuttle loop's true power...

I actually did some math of his tornado usage back in the day. It averaged out to about 100+ nados per game. I think it was about 20 nados per minute.

We should LAN some SOCOM II sometime as a side event. Would be hype
Oh my god yes. :applejack:

CY

Smash Ace

also true about the community. back then, online console gaming was new and was just starting out. SOCOM 1 was the first shooter to utilize it's online play on the PS2. so the community was much smaller, but it was also more tight knit.

another reason it was tight knit was because there was actual servers, remember? instead of a random match making, you would go to US EAST or US West and join a lobby. this led to playing with the same people and forming clans and what not. I miss those days. :(

CY

Smash Ace
Too bad cheating was pretty rampant, especially in SOCOM 1
yeah cheating was lame later on in SOCOM 1. I didn't really care about the random people flying around and killing in public matches. the worst one was **** like e-tags and no fog, cheats you couldn't detect. so that sucked for competitive play.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Cheating, eh?

I remember playing Battlefield 2. All those enemy boats spotted on Karkand...good times.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
also true about the community. back then, online console gaming was new and was just starting out. SOCOM 1 was the first shooter to utilize it's online play on the PS2. so the community was much smaller, but it was also more tight knit.

another reason it was tight knit was because there was actual servers, remember? instead of a random match making, you would go to US EAST or US West and join a lobby. this led to playing with the same people and forming clans and what not. I miss those days. :(
Yeah, I loved that. I typically went into US West to play, and when I finally got accepted by a clan, we did pretty awesome in our area. There wasn't any "omg noob" comments either (or they were few), and most of the people I played with never shied away from giving constructive criticisms or whatnot.

Plus, since it was 1 Life per round, you had time to just hang out and chat while the game kept going. Unless you played Respawn.

Frostbite Respawn with M60E3/M63A and 2X Ammo. Run around and keep R1 pressed.
The kills just come for you. :applejack:

SOCOM II was fun up until the Code9ers started to spring up. Ruined everything about the game. :applejack:

Gea

Smash Master
You mean Frostfire? HK5K for life there. Instant headshot, faster than M14 even. I got kicked out of a clan for being too good. Went like 30-4 on DeathTrap as a seal and singlehandedly won us that clanbattle then was kicked out of the clan. OH WELL.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yeah, Frostfire.
It's been awhile, and I tend to avoid that map like the plague.

HK5K was awesome. I was fond of the M4A1SD the most, but I also liked going RA-14 just because it was easy as hell to use if I wanted to be lazy.

I think the only thing people ever raged over was the IW.

I feel like Terrorists got the shaft as far as guns went, but those mines. I hate those mines. I just went M16 whenever I wasn't a Seal.

Did you have a general role in your clans Gea? Or did you just pick up whatever? :applejack:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
HOBO 1 = Pools Play at Play and Trade in Spring. Back when there was no MK's.

4 years ago O_O

1: T-Rex (snake/wario)
2: Mr.3000 (sonic/dedede)
3: DrMarioKart (metanight)
4: Sethlon (falco/ike)
5: Hylian (g&w/samus)
5: Dr Drew (lucas)
7: Kira (metanight/wolf)
7: Gea (peach/pikachu)
9: G@be (kirby/pkmn trainer)
9: Cesar (toon link)
9: Apoc (metanight)
9: Xyro (samus)
13: Furbs (yoshi)
13: JF (marth)
13: PimpSlap(olimar)
13: Fliphop (diddy)
17: Aiom (wolf)
17: Axxo (rob)
17: Rocket Trainer (lucario)
17: Final (falco)
21-41: pool players
But MK was still the most-used character, even back then.

:059:

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah, Frostfire.
It's been awhile, and I tend to avoid that map like the plague.

HK5K was awesome. I was fond of the M4A1SD the most, but I also liked going RA-14 just because it was easy as hell to use if I wanted to be lazy.

I think the only thing people ever raged over was the IW.

I feel like Terrorists got the shaft as far as guns went, but those mines. I hate those mines. I just went M16 whenever I wasn't a Seal.

Did you have a general role in your clans Gea? Or did you just pick up whatever? :applejack:
I picked up whatever. If no one wanted to stay back I'd camp or cover hostages or whatever, but I was totally fine going balls deep in enemy territory. About the only thing I was never any good at was sniping. SASR was fun to mess around with (the semi auto sniper).

Agreed on the terrorists, when I was new at the game I used the AKs but they just fired too slow, and the 552 was the equivalent of the KLOBB in goldeneye. Ended up being an M16 guy just like yourself. That accuracy was too good. Their shotgun was also amazing. I also kept the model 18 with me as a terrorist for flashy kills. The RA-14/M4A1SD were also guns I commonly used, but only because I actually preferred them to the IW-40. I think the M-14 was probably the best gun for either side on most maps just because the fire rate and damage were too good (2 body shots and it kicked up to headshot? yeah...) but for the largest maps M16/M4A1SD were better rifles. Though since large maps like Foxhunt were rarely played... Mines weren't too bad just because people really got into habits of putting them in the same places. But then you'd have that one match with the guy who was good at sticking them inside of corners where you couldn't see them...

And Night Stalker was probably my favorite map in the game. Crossroads was great but overplayed. FishHook was the map I never understood why it was so popular because it was 90% grenading downhill. Game definitely had the best grenade system of any other game I've played. Worst map in the game was of course Shadow Falls. No one even bothered with it. Though there were quite a few underplayed maps that were better than the general consensus.

I still remember my favorite moment in that entire game. It was on Night Stalker and everyone had died except for one dude on each team. The guy on our side decided to try to play the entire round prone and was slowly crawling across the map. The other dude got scared and camped the plant site, not even going for the bomb. Our guy crawls over the bomb and slowly makes his way towards the plant site where the other dude is getting antsy. Our guy is crawling down some stairs close to the terrorist plant site and crawls right over a mine that is HUGE on the screen since he is prone. He dies and everyone is laughing and he says "I didn't see it."

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I picked up whatever. If no one wanted to stay back I'd camp or cover hostages or whatever, but I was totally fine going balls deep in enemy territory. About the only thing I was never any good at was sniping. SASR was fun to mess around with (the semi auto sniper).
I kinda just functioned as a scout, running balls deep with a partner and hunting down the other team before they could really set anything up.

Whenever I felt like I was playing like ****, I actually would fit a "cover fire" kinda role. I'd just pick up the M60E3 and plant myself by a major crossover section between spawn points, and fire at the entrances to the terrorist/seal spots to keep them from running out without taking damage.

Kept them stuck in a specific spot, and turned their attention to getting rid of me. It kinda helped here and there, and if I ended up dying, it was fine because it's not like they could take much of value from my body.

Iunno, I never saw it done often by other teams, so I doubt it's mega effective, but the way you can pin a large squad down or give your team cover fire was just awesome. Plus, it brings up some hilarious post-set conversation between teams.

Sniping was so hard to do for me in the game. We had a vet sniper in the clan I was in, and he was damn good at it. I've only ever really played against any other really good snipers, but my god they were impossible to get to if they were on the same level. It was always frustrating, especially since the only hint you got to their shots was a tiny red speck on your crosshairs.

Agreed on the terrorists, when I was new at the game I used the AKs but they just fired too slow, and the 552 was the equivalent of the KLOBB in goldeneye. Ended up being an M16 guy just like yourself. That accuracy was too good. Their shotgun was also amazing. I also kept the model 18 with me as a terrorist for flashy kills. The RA-14/M4A1SD were also guns I commonly used, but only because I actually preferred them to the IW-40. I think the M-14 was probably the best gun for either side on most maps just because the fire rate and damage were too good (2 body shots and it kicked up to headshot? yeah...) but for the largest maps M16/M4A1SD were better rifles. Though since large maps like Foxhunt were rarely played... Mines weren't too bad just because people really got into habits of putting them in the same places. But then you'd have that one match with the guy who was good at sticking them inside of corners where you couldn't see them...
I could never get into the M14, but I knew it was godlike because every other player alive used them. The auto shotgun on the Terrorist side was hilarious though, especially for boxed in encounters that you'd run into a lot on places like Crossroads or Frostfire.

I always laughed when I died to mines because the animation always looked funny.

And Night Stalker was probably my favorite map in the game. Crossroads was great but overplayed. FishHook was the map I never understood why it was so popular because it was 90% grenading downhill. Game definitely had the best grenade system of any other game I've played. Worst map in the game was of course Shadow Falls. No one even bothered with it. Though there were quite a few underplayed maps that were better than the general consensus.
Nightstalker was good, and I really loved Crossroads because truth be told, I didn't play there as much as others did. I didn't like Fishook myself, and Shadow Falls was so friggin' boring.

Desert Glory and The Ruins were fun for me, and Enowapi was hilarious. I also somewhat liked Rats Nest, but it was really dark.

I still remember my favorite moment in that entire game. It was on Night Stalker and everyone had died except for one dude on each team. The guy on our side decided to try to play the entire round prone and was slowly crawling across the map. The other dude got scared and camped the plant site, not even going for the bomb. Our guy crawls over the bomb and slowly makes his way towards the plant site where the other dude is getting antsy. Our guy is crawling down some stairs close to the terrorist plant site and crawls right over a mine that is HUGE on the screen since he is prone. He dies and everyone is laughing and he says "I didn't see it."
I've had that happen so many times. I HATE being the last one alive because things get so tense, and everything just makes you jump. I loved that feeling that the game gave in those scenarios.

My favorite moment was on Crossroads, and half my team got bludgeoned by those early grenade kills because they tried to rush in and get control of the market on the right side of the map (Seals starting point). I end up exploring, and I bunker down in the alleyway on the right side.

My last two teammates end up stalemating with a pair on the other end of the map, so I'm sitting there, realizing that I'm about to 1v6 the terrorists, and they just picked up the bomb.

I don't remember much in between, but I went through a goddamn gauntlet towards the central market place, through the upper floors, avoiding mines and secondary grenades, and managed to kill all of the terrorists before the bomb could go off.

It was epic. :applejack:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Anybody want a sealed brand new blue Wii Remote with builtin MotionPlus for $21?

I got it from the Toys R Us sale, but if someone wants to take it off my hands, then you are welcome to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom