• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesh

Smash Hero
The point of me bringing up squirtle beating higher tiers was to help you understand that if he can beat or go even with superior characters (anything outside of LT), think about what he can do to total trash characters like link/samus/jiggs.....ect. I've seen it and its GROSS.

And yeah I think reflex can def beat any low tier main like Vato, scissor, DLA, xyro....ect.
Whats your record against ZSS and Peach again? Squirtle looking borderline viable against Falco means nothing if you are going to ignore that other low tiers have select good matchups with good characters.

But...yea I believe PT is significantly worse than Luigi and Lucas, which is why there has only been 1 good one in 5 years across 3 continents.

Tesh

Smash Hero
even though that supports my argument, I'm gonna call BS on that. puff cant get in on either of those characters, all she has is the theoretical possibility of camping them if she got a lead.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Whats your record against ZSS and Peach again? Squirtle looking borderline viable against Falco means nothing if you are going to ignore that other low tiers have select good matchups with good characters.

But...yea I believe PT is significantly worse than Luigi and Lucas, which is why there has only been 1 good one in 5 years across 3 continents.
The reason why there has only been one good PT is because you must do well with all 3 characters (all which are completely diff from each other). The learning curve is far more difficult than with lucas or luigi.

no low tier has a legit decent MU vs a top tier like falco. squirtle/PT does because hes NOT low tier.

Tesh

Smash Hero
You are also assuming that PT does well against Falco based on Reflex doing a 60 damage combo to a player he is alot better than. Just like you might see a great link beat a good snake, or a great falcon beat a good wario.

And now, maximizing PTs power is all about using Squirtle as much as possible, except vs like...Marth.

Xyro77

You are also assuming that PT does well against Falco based on Reflex doing a 60 damage combo to a player he is alot better than. Just like you might see a great link beat a good snake, or a great falcon beat a good wario.
Im not saying squirtle does well vs falco. im just saying when i see a PT beat a top 3 falco repeatedly then it means something. Hell reflex has done a trillion of amazing things. Sadly hes the only one we can go by/watch thus the PT metagame/MUs/tier list spot was pretty much based on his efforts. THAT is why PT moved out of low tier.

And now, maximizing PTs power is all about using Squirtle as much as possible, except vs like...Marth.
...............................................so you are telling me that a PT needs to key in on squirtle because squirtle is decent enough to handle nearly every character in the game except for marth and maybe 1 or 2 more? YET YOU STILL THINK HES LOW TIER? Dude, come on man.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm saying Squirtle is the least garbage. Just like if you could switch between ganon, zelda and mario, you'd use mario most of the time and zelda for that one matchup she is better in.

Top 3 Falco is like Top 3 PT. The best is leagues above the others so why put it that way?

Xyro77

I'm saying Squirtle is the least garbage. Just like if you could switch between ganon, zelda and mario, you'd use mario most of the time and zelda for that one matchup she is better in.
Are you serious? i really thing you just want PT/luigi in low tier cause you use PT

Top 3 Falco is like Top 3 PT. The best is leagues above the others so why put it that way?
A: define "leagues"
B: there are no top 3 PTs. There is reflex and a bunch of last placers who use PT cause they like pokemon red/blue.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I main Ganon for low tier and 2nd Mario/Jiggs. Overall lets me be a nastier counterpicker.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I just finished BioShock (the first one). I've heard that BioShock 2, the story isn't good enough to play and that I should just skip it and play Infinite. Anyone agree or disagree with this?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Why play a game for the story? Just watch a "Let's Play" on youtube if the gameplay is so worthless you are considering skipping an entry.

If the gameplay is good, you should probably play it, as an older game probably wont be worth much used anyway.

Any game thats held up only by its story is just a lazy way of selling a movie for 60$.

Xyro77

Smoom, play 2 and infinite.

2 is considered the worst but once you beat it and play infinite, you will appreciate infinite a lot more.

Tesh, u r a big dummy. In smash and in video games.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Are you telling me you'd play a bad game with a good story?

*sigh*
My favorite pair of sunglasses was swept away by rain water today...

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Story is a major part of video games.

The walking dead was like, game of the year last year and it was like 70% cutscene.

Puff is never on the ground(unless she combos to grabs or jabs or utilt or rest from the air)
Nanners are always on the ground(unles Diddy just throws them at you but bair catches them and if your puff you're already doing that)
Nair has very little knockback. Nair knocks Diddy out of barrels though.
Falling nairs gimp Diddy.
Diddy's aerials are good, and can beat her but that's the spacing game.
And diddy kills easier.

So it's slightly in his favor. 65:35/70:30

Puff is never on the ground.
ICs grab on the ground.

"But shield grab"
No her air speed is faster than warios. And Bairs hitbox is super long.
Well spaced bair is safe on shield.
Never get grabbed.

But ICs Uair is pro. And if you do mispace bair you get grabbed>lose stock
65:35/70:30

Also Falco.
SHDL doesn't touch crouched puff
She can't get CG'd cause she's the lightest char in the game

Fair/bair/nair beat illusion
But Usmash kills puff at like 50%

heytallman

CTALL
I just finished BioShock (the first one). I've heard that BioShock 2, the story isn't good enough to play and that I should just skip it and play Infinite. Anyone agree or disagree with this?
You played Bioshock on Steam, yes? If you really want to play Bioshock 2, pick it up for super cheap on Steam at some point. It's not great, but has a few cool parts kind of near the end. Complaints are that it is VERY linear compared to the first (you can't re-access old areas, so if you miss a weapon upgrade station, you can't go back for it, etc) and that the story is just kinda lame. I have only played a little bit of Bioshock Infinite, but it's quite good so far.

Ultimately up to you if you play Bioshock 2 or not, but it's nowhere near the worst game ever made. And also I kind of for once agree with Allan, maybe playing Bioshock 2 will give you a greater appreciation for Infinite.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
the story isn't as good as 1, but that's about it, it's still a pretty good game itself, and I doubt it even costs much now, plus you get to play as a big daddy.

Xyro77

hey xyro whats your favorite game?
Yikes that is really a tough call. Are we talking best game "overall" or best game in a certain aspect (story, game play, replayability....ect)? IMO the best game i have ever played is a game that i would play a billion times over again because it would STILL (even after 15-20 years) provide me with that initial feeling of "awesome" i felt the day i first played it.

example

Do you remember a time before the internet/gamefaqs? Or maybe a time where you couldn't afford a strategy guide and your parents wouldn't buy you one? Those times caused you to strike out on your own in a game and make you figure out things for yourself. Though maybe it was hard or frustrating, once you found out something, you felt like "oh wow this is AWESOME." Ever go into an area of a game and feel completely outclassed in every way? So scared that late at night you couldnt go to that area because all the new sounds/monsters/enviornment kinda scared you? However, once you leveled up enough or got that kick ass weapon, you go back to that area and take care of business? That sense of "ok this is cool, i can do this."

So to answer your question, i think my overall fav game of all time is SECRET OF MANA. That game to this very day still gives me those feelings i mentioned above as well as the fact that it may have been the first RPG to be a 3 player multiplayer game. Its TERRIBLE by today's standards and many people would give up on it because it doesnt really tell you where to go and the difficulty level jumps HUGE if u head into the wrong area.

Xyro77

Story is a major part of video games.
Fighting games/racing games say other wise. it is 100% genre specific.

The walking dead was like, game of the year last year and it was like 70% cutscene.
NEVER EVER EVER pay attention to "game of the year" for over 5 years now (maybe even longer) the person/company who pays the most gets game of the year. The gaming media is literally bought off on a DAILY basis. Reviews/previews/advertisement and more. its SUPER corrupt.

Puff is never on the ground(unless she combos to grabs or jabs or utilt or rest from the air)
Nanners are always on the ground(unles Diddy just throws them at you but bair catches them and if your puff you're already doing that)
Nair has very little knockback. Nair knocks Diddy out of barrels though.
Falling nairs gimp Diddy.
Diddy's aerials are good, and can beat her but that's the spacing game.
And diddy kills easier.

So it's slightly in his favor. 65:35/70:30
Dude, diddy with insta toss and toss out of shield OBLITERATES everything jiggs has. Grounded or not. Hell, he kills earlier, has more options TO kill and wins every time the two trade hits. Good luck being jiggs and getting diddy off stage....thats a pipe dream. 70:30 or worse is the real MU ratio here and thats not "slightly in his favor." Thats "i KNOW i will win this match."

Puff is never on the ground.
ICs grab on the ground.

"But shield grab"
No her air speed is faster than warios. And Bairs hitbox is super long.
Well spaced bair is safe on shield.
Never get grabbed.

But ICs Uair is pro. And if you do mispace bair you get grabbed>lose stock
Are you ****ting me?

Blizzard wall and simply throwing out moves at random that trade or win vs jiggs moves makes this 70:30....and thats WITHOUT grabs.

Also Falco.
SHDL doesn't touch crouched puff
She can't get CG'd cause she's the lightest char in the game

Fair/bair/nair beat illusion
But Usmash kills puff at like 50%

Dude jiggs cant crawl so lol how is avoiding lasers in a non mobile position advantageous vs falco? Nice, you can stop his OVER+B with ABC but tell me.......that is only applicable IF you get falco off stage and how in the hell will you get a falco off stage? His jab/wind hitbox out prioritizes EVERYTHING you own. He can STILL kill you better than you (and falco SUCKS at killing) can kill him AND his trades win too.

Literally 99% of the cast can stand there and powershield your fair or bair and retort for For FREE. I do this with samus EVERYTIME i meet a jiggs. Ive beaten every jiggs ive ever played including jiggs used by far superior players than me (dojo/razer/kprime....ect). I literally stand there, powershield and punish with jab/fsmash/zair/charge shot, nair....ect. This reduces their options to things that are very unsafe or very risky like air dodging through me for a grab/tilt.

Xyro77

I already own 2, so I guess I'll play it. I got it in a bundle with 1 during summer sale I think.
I am a firm believer in playing a series in order. Play assassins creed 1 and work your way up the list and you will see the improvements in literally EVERY aspect of the game. Same goes for bioshock. 1 is great, 2 is bad, 3 is so good because you came from 2.

Majoras mask is number 1
the fact you picked a game in the LATE years of the N64 shows me how much of a new gen you are when it comes to gaming. LMAO

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
^why is that such a popular speed running game these days?

MM is my favorite zelda :( followed by OoT, then probably LTTP or the origional lol
TP is pretty tight too. I haven't played SS yet :(

Brb taking xyro's money with puff

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
I may try it out sometime. It just seems super random that the game got that popular lol.
It's still no SM64 or OoT tho lolll

Smash 64/MM/OoT/Toy Story 2 are best games to speed run

Lttp seems pretty fun to

$5 I guess

KRDsonic

Smash Master
The developers intended for people to speedrun it too. Plus there's the fact that the very first thing that they did while making Super Meat Boy was the physics, making sure they got it perfect.

:059:

Xyro77

Iron Man 3 crushed The Avengers box office record over in Europe. I can't wait to see what it does over here in USA on Friday.

I'm watching IRONMAN 1 and 2 and Avengers before ironman 3 comes out. Anybody wanna join me?

Xyro77

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom