• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Nothing in the title is offensive in anyway unless you CHOOSE to take it in an offensive way. Honestly, its another reminder for him/dallas/LSC goers to remind him of what he said he was gonna do . Hes had about 3 months to find a venue/make a thread and he STILL didnt do it. Now guess what, he has some personal problems pushing it back even more. The personal issues are probably not his fault but its a testament to the fact that getting things done at the last minute is not the way to go because sometimes (like THIS time) it doesnt work out.

Im not mad at all and i dont want anything bad to happen to him during this rough period of his life but dizamn he had 3 months to get this stuff going.

Speaking of that, IceCream, are you ready to post yours? its best to have them up asap so i can update the LSC main thread and people can plan when and how to get to said events.

Gea

Smash Master
Nah, you can do what you want.

I'm just going mess around in the game and find what I like.
Remember, ive never played a MH game before so ALL the weapons seem cool to me. I just picked a bow because i like long range/defensive type styles or weapons. So go ahead and take bow or bow gun. ill find something else. is there like spear/lances? Where you STAB people but not throw (javelin?).
You guys should both, gee, I don't know, PLAY THE DEMO THAT LETS YOU TRY OUT ALL OF THE WEAPONS. Plus I would advise against bowgunning/using bows unless you know what you are doing. Besides very specific setups both are support roles and killing monsters takes a long time with either unless you know exactly what you are doing. Ontop of that you have to purchase ammo for the bowguns so it can be expensive. And only bows/bowguns use the gunner armor which means switching from them to any other weapon is going to be more expensive. Pick them up after you've messed around with the game some and understand how it works.

I wouldn't even consider bow/bowguns to be defensive weapons, they are pretty much heavily offensive, just with status and at a range. And Allan there are technically three long range gunning weapons because of how 3U handles bowguns. There are light bowguns, heavy bowguns, and bows. Yes bowguns fire what are basically darts/shots, and bows fire arrows.

Bows you charge shots and stand at specific distances and aim for weakpoints of monsters and use coatings for your arrows to inflict status or pierce. Bowguns require firing lots more shots and are more about inflicting status quickly in most cases. If you don't know what you are doing expect to burn through all of your ammo and get timed out.

Yes there are lances (as well as gunlances) and lances are some of the best weapons in the game from a perspective of pure DPS. They are probably also the best weapon for underwater battles, but they are some of the least mobile weapons as a tradeoff.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Yes I'm talking about non smash related personal issues that are very bad for Denti right now.
I just don't want him to have the extra stress of us throwing the LSC in his face you know?

I'm going to call my venue today, thread will be up like on Saturday

Gea

Smash Master
Blademaster: Sword and shield, dual swords, long sword, great sword, switch axe, hammer, hunting horn, lance, gunlance
Gunner: light bowgun, heavy bowgun, bow

Lemme eat and I'll write up a small snippet explaining a bit about each

Sword and Shield: Very fast to put away your weapon and take it out. Low damage, requires specific weapons for specific monsters. Has a shield, uses a roll to dodge, and has the unique advantage of being able to use potions while the weapon is out. More or less a support role, and not suggested for solo play, but is suggested for baby's first weapon just because the attacks are short and quick. Can cut tails but good luck.

Dual Sword: Take away the perks of the shield and item usage and add in another tiny baby sword to get dual swords. Absolutely monster for elemental and status, but relatively low raw damage. Very offensive weapon choice, but imo not the best for solo play, though better. Not a bad starting weapon due to speed of attacks and ability to roll. You also have a bar that fills up as you land attacks that you can unleash demon mode that gives you faster attacks. Can cut tails but good luck.

Long Sword: Slower than the other two, though still gets a roll. Great range and great for cutting tails. Has wide reach so it is easy to hit your teammates which trips them up and pisses them off. Has a bar that fills and can be used to do a damaging burst. All around solid weapon, but like dual sword it is popular because of the "cool factor."

Great Sword: Easiest weapon to learn, hardest to master. The great sword is SLOW but has the most damaging attack in the game easily. You still get a roll and you can actually block with your sword as well, but it really is a last resort option. While great sword has some medium speed attacks, the meat of the weapon are the charge attacks. While charging you cannot move which means you need to know and predict the monster to land these brutal blows. It is actually pretty rare to see a good greatsword user but when you do it will blow your mind. Absolutely the best weapon for breaking any part of almost any monster. Level 3 charges are the best and come just before the auto-release. Amazing weapon.

Switch Axe: A very tall weapon that is both an axe and a sword. You start in axe mode and axe mode is one of the best weapons, if not the best weapon for cutting tails. It reaches high into the air and has no trouble at all attacking parts. For this reason think of them as the "special ops" of the blademasters. Generally they are going to be focusing on breaking off body parts more than anything else. Landing axe attacks fills up a meter which can then put you into sword mode. In sword mode you have an increased attack plus you don't bounce, meaning you can pierce through any armor with no problems. Also you can use the gauge to fire off a burst of element. Switch axe does not get a roll, but rather gets hops, making it slightly less mobile. Still a solid weapon.

Lance: My personal favorite and an amazing weapon, though it got nerfed slightly in 3U. The lance has a shield, is VERY slow to walk with your weapon drawn and putting your weapon away is pretty slow as well. Ontop of that lance is very stamina intensive and really requires armor skills to be most functional, whereas other weapons generally just gain efficiency from armor skills. It's rare to find a good lancer but good ones are beasts. They are both the most defensive AND offensive weapon in the game, as the lance has a counter attack and means to block or dodge through almost every attack. Their job is to constantly do pokes that may only do so/so damage, but they land tons of hits and it adds up. This makes them flexible and great element and status users. They are the kings of underwater fights but can suffer in certain fights where the monster moves around a lot or in a party where everyone stays spread out. Pretty much all of Tri's arena records for fastest kills are done with the lance; they pretty much have the best DPS if you are perfect.

Gunlance: Don't expect a long-range gun. Gunlances are about style and drop the counter for an explosive shot that creates a burst at the end of their lance. They also have a charge attack that does some pretty massive damage. They are also very much a weapon where you get close to the monster and never leave just like lance. They also have a hop, not a roll, but their shield helps them stay safe. From what I understand their end-game damage is worse than a lance but their start-game damage is better, and they are straight up fun as hell to use. Decent at cutting tails like the lance, but requires much more precision. Go where you are needed on the monster.

Hammer: I consider this the best weapon to start playing the game with for several reasons. The hammer has a roll, does GREAT damage, can move during the charge attack, and does something very useful. Hammers do blunt damage, and that means you can KO monsters by hitting them with charge attacks in the head. That is where you will be the entire fight: the monster's face. They are surprisingly agile and every team should really have a hammer user. The downside? Blunt damage can't cut tails, which makes them a poor choice for solo-play.

Hunting Horn: Hunting horn used to be a pure support weapon, but has recently gotten to be a powerhouse of its own. It too primarily does blunt damage and while you technically have one attack that does slicing, don't expect to cut tails with this beast. Just like hammers you have a roll and can KO monsters, and just like hammers the damage is quite good. Where hunting horns differ is that they can actually apply buffs. Each attack plays a "note" and if you line up certain notes and then play the horn, you will buff everyone around you with health, no stamina drain, faster movement, better attack, etc. Great in a party and two hunting horn users in the same place means even better buffs. Has to work with the hammer to hit the head mostly. Great weapon in groups.

Light Bow Gun: All gunning weapons use different sets of armor. Armor is singlehandedly the most expensive thing to make in the games meaning starting off it's probably a bad idea to try and juggle both a gunning and a blademaster set. Ontop of that bowguns have to buy their own ammo or make it, as the free ammo is so bad you may as well be kicking the monsters to death. Gunner armor has much less defense and solo gunning is a bad idea in general. You can't take hits but light bow guns are mobile, fast to move around, and you have a roll. Light bow guns have burst fire and rapid fire abilities.

Heavy Bow Gun: More damaging, hops instead of rolls, and has a shield. Fires slower but gets more damaging ammo generally (pierce). 3U sees the heavy bow gun's damage output actually reasonable enough to solo a monster, but at the cost of ammo expense and you really do need to know where to shoot and what ammo to use to be effective. Both bowguns are good at element/status, though light is better at inflicting status faster.

Bow: Unlike the bowguns, you do not have to buy ammo. Bows damage output is pretty low except in very limited cases and bows get a roll. Certain bows have certain coatings which means status/elements/pierce/etc. This means you'll be taking different bows to different hunts. The most damaging place to stand is about two roll lengths away from a monster, meaning you are actually pretty close. You have to maintain this distance to get best DPS and aim carefully for weak points. Bows are considered underwhelming except in some specific setups, and are also sort of difficult to use well.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
xyro never played monster hunter before?

Sword and shield and great sword are the best weapons to use to get used to. Bows have pretty crap damage, so you'll probably need more than just that unless you're in a group.

Gea

Smash Master
Everyone says great sword is a great starter but I disagree; I think hammer gets all the perks (minus cutting) that greatsword would without the frustration that a player gets by not knowing the monsters' patterns. That is, of course, unless you want to use the sword combo in which case you're better off with a different weapon anyways. I recommend hammers and even though I hate longsword users, longswords for starting weapons. Sword and shield just doesn't have that DPS.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
I wouldn't really recommend a hammer for someone just starting, you really need to know how to dodge properly to use a shieldless weapon.

**** you, longswords are the best.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Allan use a lance or SnS then use a bow/bow gun later if you want. Bows do little damage unless in a group and they're best for status and elemental and like Robert said they can be expensive with ammo also their armor is specific for guns only, there's no way you can use them for blades, and on top of all this their defense is really low making it harder to stay alive, if you get combo'd then you're done and you'll have to be using a lot of potions.

So like I said go with a lance or sword and shield, but also like Robert said... DOWNLOAD THE DEMO AND TRY OUT THE WEAPONS!!!!!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Right, so if I play with Zano, use Longswords and flail about.

Xyro77

I don't play demos. It's wrecks the Initial wow factor. It's like some one reading a random chapter out of a book you can't wait to read.

I really wanna use a bow but I guess I can't cause Gea/p4 won't let me. So a lance it is!!

Trela

Smash Lord
I thought that massive post by Gea was just Jon talking about Tales again.

Was like, "I thought we were just talking about MH, wtf is going on?"

Gea

Smash Master
I wouldn't really recommend a hammer for someone just starting, you really need to know how to dodge properly to use a shieldless weapon.

**** you, longswords are the best.
Wat. Greatsword you shouldn't be blocking unless it's last resort, and you need to be using charge attacks to be good, which means predicting monsters. Hammer you can literally run around while charging. I would totally recommend learning how to roll over learning how to block.

Allan you can use a bow but enjoy having 48 minute fights against THE GREAT PISS

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
I know it's a last resort but it's an option that you don't have with other weapons. I guess at lower levels it isn't really necessary since monsters are easy enough to dodge, but the damage makes it great for early plays.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
I like the idea of Hobo 12 Town for Animal Crossing.

Can't wait for MH! Time to get that Rathalos Ruby!

Gea

Smash Master
It isn't an RPG, and those that label it as much are being pretty liberal with the "Action RPG" genre title. It is more or less "Boss Battles: The Game." Your character has 0 progression besides money, rank, weapons, and armor.

Xyro77

It isn't an RPG, and those that label it as much are being pretty liberal with the "Action RPG" genre title. It is more or less "Boss Battles: The Game." Your character has 0 progression besides money, rank, weapons, and armor.
Are you serious? There is literally no reason to buy this game now unless i like boss battle mode on brawl (for example) or Mercenaries on RE (for example). This isnt cool at all, man.

Why the hell do the trailers

Whats your amazing logic on movie trailers then?
I dont use logic.

anyways, you think a game demo is = to a movie trailer? Jack Frost, you stupid bro.

game demo is = to an in-depth scene of a movie (like what they show at the academy awards or on morning talk shows)

movie trailer is = to a game trailer. no need to explain this one.

edit: do i need to show you examples?

Xyro77

Play the ****ing demo, you putz
If Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is indeed actually Boss Battle Hunter 3 Ultimate then that means if i play the demo i literally just played 1/4 of the game.

I aint gonna spend $60 on a boss battle mini game. no wonder the trailer only showed action, 1 town and multiplayer. There is no story or **** to go an explore/admire and IF there is then you only got 50min to enjoy it.

ugh. such let down

Xyro77

you might as well try the FREE demo that has every weapon available rather than drop $60 and end up hating it.
as stated before. i dont want **** spoiled by playing the demo if i indeed do buy the game.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
After the contradictions test, you'd think we would, but it's more interesting to watch him contradict himself.

Gea

Smash Master
If Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is indeed actually Boss Battle Hunter 3 Ultimate then that means if i play the demo i literally just played 1/4 of the game.

I aint gonna spend $60 on a boss battle mini game. no wonder the trailer only showed action, 1 town and multiplayer. There is no story or **** to go an explore/admire and IF there is then you only got 50min to enjoy it.

ugh. such let down
Here we go again with you assuming **** and looking dumb as hell. How about you do some research for once in your life and make an informed decision instead of being a roller coaster of opinions you pull from God knows where. Do you think David, Flip, Tallman, Ice, KRD, me, and others would spend hundreds of hours playing a game that was Brawl's boss battle mode? 50 minutes per quest including quests to gather materials. There is also an untimed free-hunt mode in the Moga Woods but you won't be doing that much because the meat of the game is hunting monsters. You get 2 monsters out of 50+ for the demo and you're going to fight each one multiple times. Tallman just spend the last week fighting probably 30+ of one monster in Tri. You sound like someone ******** that Diablo 2 or PSO can be beaten in a couple of hours when the meat of the game isn't even from that.

Demos exist so people like you can experience what the game actually offers without putting money down. But you know, maybe you shouldn't buy it since you seem to lack the intellect to form an educated decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom