• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

graf_nik

Smash Cadet
You still dont understand the basics of this game or houston or the list. If we(the rest of unranked houston) do not pick up one of the top 7 chars in this game and seriously sit down and try our absolute hardest at every hobo, nothing will change. Half of our city is made up of newbs, people that player for fun, people that just cant get good. Its the way it it. Also, your comment about the lack of good players in this city is also wrong.
That is so true. I think if I tried hard and actually buy a Wii and SSBB (and main someone other than Sheik), then I will probably be totally better. Back when I went to my first HOBO (about 3 or 4months ago), I didn't own a controller, didn't know any match-ups, or any of SSBB's jarggin (DI,CG,...etc.).

Gnes

Smash Master
Have ya ever had sex with a pharaoh?

Also Alan, it really doesn't matter HOW good you are if you aren't active. When people see a PR they want to see who are the best players who are ACTIVE, no one cares how good Roy/Ksizzle/Azen/Dojo are if their not showing up to tourneys.

You bringing up friendlies sets and comparing tourney sets has nothing to do with the matter. Ozz and trela can beat people that Roy can't. Roy can beat my falco(lol), but seriously he can beat people they cant(razer).

With that said I know exactly how good Roy is, and i realize that he won't ever really get a chance to be active because of his job hours. However, thats life. The funny part is Roy doesn't give a **** about this PR stuff, never has.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Have ya ever had sex with a pharaoh?
whaaaaaaaa?

Also Alan, it really doesn't matter HOW good you are if you aren't active. When people see a PR they want to see who are the best players who are ACTIVE, no one cares how good Roy/Ksizzle/Azen/Dojo are if their not showing up to tourneys.
Azen is the only one in that group that is considered inactive. the rest still play and have recent results. PRs are not a list of "who is active" its who is "good and still plays" and royr/dojo/ksizzle still play and are still good.

this has been known since melee. nothing has changed.

You bringing up friendlies sets and comparing tourney sets has nothing to do with the matter. Ozz and trela can beat people that Roy can't. Roy can beat my falco(lol), but seriously he can beat people they cant(razer).
So he beats people they cant and they beat people he cant? Ok cool, top 5 in houston for sure.

Hey Allan, could you please answer the other question I asked? How do I qualify as inactive? You said it yourself in the same post: "STILTZ does not/3000 does not/dr mario kart does not. THAT is inactive." So if those are prime examples of inactive people, how do I fit into that category. Unless I am indeed biased or uninformed, in your eyes.
i generally ask one extra person at random to vote. one time it was rt another time it was p4....ect. ive considered you or illmatic to be next.

im not saying you "dont have what i takes" to be able to vote its just i focus on the people who have "been there, done that" and take their vote over most(including my own).

Gnes

Smash Master
Did u just say ksizzle is active, u are absolutely wrong in that department, there is no arguing that lol.

And no, just because dojo went to mlg dallas doesn't make him active, He's missed ALOT of events before that and only manage to get in one tourney before mlg. Going to one tourney once every blue moon does not make u active. Same goes to Roy.

I'm not saying Roy doesn't have the potential to be top 5 in houston, I'm saying because of his inactivity he isn't able to settle this matter and won't be able to until he becomes active, and this should be shown via PR.

Xyro77

Did u just say ksizzle is active, u are absolutely wrong in that department, there is no arguing that lol.

And no, just because dojo went to mlg dallas doesn't make him active, He's missed ALOT of events before that and only manage to get in one tourney before mlg. Going to one tourney once every blue moon does not make u active. Same goes to Roy.
look at azen's activity
look at royr's activity

see it? i do.

case closed

Gnes

Smash Master
look at azen's activity
look at royr's activity

see it? i do.

case closed
Yea i see Roy went to one hobo, and thats about it. No san antonio tourneys, no dallas tourney(Including mlg dallas)

The same for Dojo who made it to one San Antonio, and mlg dallas, missing everything else.

I put Azen in for fun.

So yes indeed I do. Your logic has always been faulty, but its whatevs. I just wish you realize your bias only ends up with people attaching negative connotations to you and more importantly Roy.

Lmao at flip, i dont really care for arguing. But when things are so blatant that i can't look away, gotta start posting ya know.

Xyro77

Yea i see Roy went to one hobo, and thats about it. No san antonio tourneys, no dallas tourney(Including mlg dallas)

The same for Dojo who made it to one San Antonio, and mlg dallas, missing everything else.

I put Azen in for fun.

So yes indeed I do. Your logic has always been faulty, but its whatevs. I just wish you realize your bias only ends up with people attaching negative connotations to you and more importantly Roy.

Lmao at flip, i dont really care for arguing. But when things are so blatant that i can't look away, gotta start posting ya know.

i gave u an example of inactive and active. case closed.

Xyro77

Retired=inactive
1 tourney per year=inactive
1 tourney in 6 months=inactive

Everything else=active.

The standards have been set since melee. People just dont wanna accept that royr is equal/near/better than them and he plays less that half as much as they do.

EDIT: they also dont like the fact that i back him.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Retired=inactive

Everything else=active.

The standards have been set since melee. People just dont wanna accept that royr is equal/near/better than them and he plays less that half as much as they do.
so i can go to 1 tourny every 6 months but still be retired? lol

Xyro77

so i can go to 1 tourny every 6 months but still be retired? lol
retired means u dont play at all or you truly quit.

playing every 6 months means u DO play.

@zigsta

are u ********? did u read ANYTHING on the last page or 2?

Xyro77

So, nobody has jumped up and said that they have voted...

WHO exactly voted?
Jerm
Gnes
Trela
Zori
FlipHop
Razer
Ozz
Xyro

Extra: p4/Illmatic

As you can see, this list is created by people who are VERY good at what they do/very active/seen+played countless people/can generally be unbiased. AKA these people are the most informed and thus the most valued. As for the extras i picked, I will switch out them with tallman or smoom or pj next time around.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I think hes been to more than u have. see first page.
I've been to 5. I started at HOBO 24, giving me a total of 5 possible events to have been to. 5/5= 100% attendance rate.

RoyR has been to 12. He started at HOBO 4, giving a total of 35 possible events to have been to. 12/35 = 34.3% attendance rate.

Plus the fact that I've been to about 90% of the fests around here, helped set up crap, driven through the GATES OF HELL to get people at any time I was needed, I'd say I'm pretty ****ing active. Tack on the fact that I live more than an hour away from pretty much everyone and I can say that nobody else can john about anything.

Illmatic - I generally take to last stock or last hit
Xyro - I beat 2-0 in a legit tournament set
Smoom - SMOOOOOOOOOOOM
Pj - I run even with or greater than on a normal basis
Zori - I think I've taken to last stock
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gnes

Smash Master
Retired=inactive

Everything else=active.

EDIT: they also dont like the fact that i back him.
Those are not the standards that regions have been using to determine activity, not only have i been on a PR panel, but i've seen other Panel's from other regions.

But then against this less a PR and more just a compilation of votes, soooo i guess thinking in a PR mindset is irrelevant.

Xyro77

Those are not the standards that regions have been using to determine activity, not only have i been on a PR panel, but i've seen other Panel's from other regions.

But then against this less a PR and more just a compilation of votes, soooo i guess thinking in a PR mindset is irrelevant.
They are common sense standards. Its stuff thats already built into you.

I've been to 5. I started at HOBO 24, giving me a total of 5 possible events to have been to. 5/5= 100% attendance rate.

RoyR has been to 12. He started at HOBO 4, giving a total of 35 possible events to have been to. 12/35 = 34.3% attendance rate.

Plus the fact that I've been to about 90% of the fests around here, helped set up crap, driven through the GATES OF HELL to get people at any time I was needed, I'd say I'm pretty ****ing active. Tack on the fact that I live more than an hour away from pretty much everyone and I can say that nobody else can john about anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
12>5. roy has beaten people 10000000x better than you OR me have. im not saying u cant vote im just saying u gotta wait your turn. when you let anyboy and everybody in our scene vote.........dumb things happen.

Gnes

Smash Master
They are common sense standards. Its stuff thats already built into you.
So wait first you say that those are standards established by the community, then when i prove your statement wrong, u say there "common sense" standards. Which stance are u gonna take?

No "your rules" were not established in melee days, and no they aren't common sense considering common sense is subjective in itself.

Xyro77

So wait first you say that those are standards established by the community, then when i prove your wrong u say there "common sense" standards. Which stance are u gonna take?

No "your rules" were not established in melee days, and no they aren't common sense considering common sense is subjective in itself.
common sense was used in melee days. so i wanna stick with it. ever since brawl came out people have screwed things up left and right.

Common sense is not subjective. its built in.

example: see a person with no arms walk up to a door. common sense says open the door for them or at least ask if they need help.

you(like most of houston) are from the brawl days/current gen so i guess u guys lack some of this stuff. i guess im gifted.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
12>5. roy has beaten people 10000000x better than you OR me have. im not saying u cant vote im just saying u gotta wait your turn. when you let anyboy and everybody in our scene vote.........dumb things happen.
I'm whatever on the voting, those people are fine, I agree with those. I was just pointing out the activity rate. Having gone to more doesn't mean more active. It just means that they have gone to more. And beating better people/skill level have nothing to do with how active you are. And I understand having a smaller amount of people vote makes it easier to keep track of, considering it's through a phone. But you can do it a more efficient way to have more people on it.

Xyro77

I'm whatever on the voting, those people are fine, I agree with those. I was just pointing out the activity rate. Having gone to more doesn't mean more active. It just means that they have gone to more. And beating better people/skill level have nothing to do with how active you are. And I understand having a smaller amount of people vote makes it easier to keep track of, considering it's through a phone. But you can do it a more efficient way to have more people on it.
My way works fine. Been fine since day one. relax, im a professional

Xyro77

If it worked fine, there wouldn't be debates going on in a thread about it right now.
The system works fine and the results are fine. The PROBLEM is that everybody and their mother wants to vote. not every body can have a slice of the same pie. wait till more pies are available and you will get a piece later.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I will say this. /serioustime

The only event Roy has been to in the past four months is Hobo 27. This is a major tourney. However, there have been many other Hobos and other small events in the past month (Smoomfests, Batman's Booty things, Sync's, Charity event etc.). This is not including some of the OOC/OOS events that some Houston people go to (Phase, San Antonio, VC, etc). So, assuming there is an event every weekend (which isn't true, but close enough), that means there were approximately 16 events or so to be considered...

So, Roy went to 1 out of 16. And...this is active? <_<

I think this is the problem most people have. You can't consider him active if there are other people who travel to tourneys ever other weekend or so. It's kind of like school...you show up one class and you're considered there for the whole year? No, you're still missing the other days and are considered absent, and you get DROPPED from the class.

Not to say Roy isn't skilled...we all know he is. But the fact that other people who regularly attend tourneys are being ignored over someone who has only been to one tourney in four months...something is wrong. You know I'm a fair person...you can't truly think this is fair. :(

"* Based off of: MMs,1vs1,tourney matches,placings, OOS/OOC player victories, votes"-this is what it says at the bottom. Roy never MMs...1v1 and tourney matches are the same...placings? He's only been to one, though he did place high so he wins here. OOS/OOCS victory? He beat Jnig, but lost to Kprime and UltimateRazer at Hobo 27. Oh, and he doesn't travel. Work johns, but hey, Gnes, Jerm, PJ, and others have jobs too and they can make it work

Votes? I'm curious what the vote tally was...can you post the totals?

I would think if you moved Roy to honorable it would people slightly happier. It's just, when you put him in top 5 when he isn't active...it makes it look like Houston has only four active good players, which is far from true.

That's all I really have to say about this.

Gnes

Smash Master
common sense was used in melee days. so i wanna stick with it. ever since brawl came out people have screwed things up left and right.

Common sense is not subjective. its built in.

example: see a person with no arms walk up to a door. common sense says open the door for them or at least ask if they need help.

you(like most of houston) are from the brawl days/current gen so i guess u guys lack some of this stuff. i guess im gifted.
LMAO Personal attacks won't help u. But yes your gifted, at playing samus.

Common sense used in everyday situations and encounters aren't BUILT in, u dont just wake up and know how to react to the world in the correct way. You learn and are taught, and from what you learn you derive your OWN common sense. We can keep talking about this if you want. I'm a former sociology major/now sociology minor. :)

But that's a story for a different time.

You bringing out random facts and labeling them as common sense doesn't bring any strength to your argument, especially considering you've pretty much admitted to being bias, which inherently skews your views on issues pertaining to the subject we're discussing.

But I digress.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Not that I care, but I think I've busted my *** for the community pretty hard the last few months. It would be nice to know that my opinion mattered, whether or not it was different from the current people on there.

I'd also kinda like to know where I fall on why I didn't vote here...
I'm clearly not asking you if I can vote.
I'm just pointing out common sense.

Pj - I run even with or greater than on a normal basis

explain this^
MM? :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom