• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Hopefully im that good when i put in all those hours he has...shiz...

*wants to go home and play
lol i aint good cause of the time. i play like that since the other cod or just shooters. like halo 2, 3. I do have a lot of time though lmao

cy: I have a 2.44 but i cant play tactical... no SaD or harcore stuff. Only play deathmatch groundwar or headquaters. Cant play on my hd tv either. i dropped .02 lately cause of that. ill be switching soon. I WANT SOME NEW MAPS ALREADY

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
lulz, I'm going to Canada March 5th, won't be back till the 7th.

Someone host a fest since everything I've been doing me is gaying me from going to a HOBO.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
There's only ONE Sonic that's giving any top players trouble right now (X).
You've been giving the **** to Texas and Wes just sent a Falco to hell (and he does well vs EC top players). Back then 3000 was good and knocked great people out.

RT are u gonna upload any vids?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Yea PT is ****ing good. its just ivy is so **** bad tht most people use him to catch up in stocks

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You've been giving the **** to Texas and Wes just sent a Falco to hell (and he does well vs EC top players). Back then 3000 was good and knocked great people out.
There's only ONE Sonic that's giving any top players trouble right now (X).
-I don't do that well. I rarely play top players, and when I do, I lose.
-Wes was getting the **** throughout that match, in case you didn't watch everything else. He does **** with Sonic, and that last stock vs. Falco was SICK, but that trick won't work again, I guarantee it. Oh, and Wes also goes Meta Knight, from what I've heard.
-3000 played in a time where everyone was absolutely ignorant of Sonic. Now, everyone just kinda knows Sonic.

In fact, the only Texan players that I feel really know the Sonic match up at all are Phantom X, K Prime, and Hylian, but even they don't know everything there is to know.
Then there's people like Dojo, Gnes, and Razer, whose characters are so much better than Sonic that learning the match up shouldn't necessarily be a priority in order to beat one.

But Sonic's a bad character. He shouldn't be placing in the top 8 at all, and he honestly hasn't been. X is the only Sonic to be breaking top 8 in any tournaments recently.

It's another reason why I'll be upset if Texas lets more than 2-3 Sonics into the Top 8 at this upcoming HOBO.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Dont kid yourself Espy, you take Razer to last hit each time u play him and u won last time. I heard u took dojo to game 3 and u beat dmg and many others. you and X have equal accomplishments and about even in skill. You guys do things that some top tier mains cant do.

Im not saying Sonic is top tier or anything, and a character doesnt have to place top 8 to be mid tier. Sonic has proven his viability when you guys place well with him and beat good people. IMO if a character is hard to learn and you have to learn the matchup to win, then that character is at least mid tier.
For example I can just pick Marth and space fair all day vs a low tier like falcon or jiggs or lucas etc and win (exaggerating but you get my point). I cant do that vs Sonic, beating Sonic requires patience and knowledge (more knowledge then a true **** char like falcon).

That is what IMO seperates low tier from the rest. That and placings. On paper Sonic looks like **** but in the hands of a good player Sonic can really throw off people and beat them, IMO thats what constitutes for mid tier.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Espy, i will still never understand why you just consistently belittle your character and lobby about how bad he is. You should want Sonic to be absolute best and work for him to be just that. Especially coming from something that is as crazy about Sonic as you are.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yea PT is ****ing good. its just ivy is so **** bad tht most people use him to catch up in stocks
Reflex is the only person who can actually use him, and even he's smart enough to just switch against MK.

I can understand why Espy's always saying Sonic is a bad character. Granted, I still think he's mid tier, albeit low mid tier, but it's crucial to for a player to realize when they're playing a character with limitations.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Dont kid yourself Espy, you take Razer to last hit each time u play him and u won last time. I heard u took dojo to game 3 and u beat dmg and many others. you and X have equal accomplishments and about even in skill. You guys do things that some top tier mains cant do.

Im not saying Sonic is top tier or anything, and a character doesnt have to place top 8 to be mid tier. Sonic has proven his viability when you guys place well with him and beat good people. IMO if a character is hard to learn and you have to learn the matchup to win, then that character is at least mid tier.
For example I can just pick Marth and space fair all day vs a low tier like falcon or jiggs or lucas etc and win (exaggerating but you get my point). I cant do that vs Sonic, beating Sonic requires patience and knowledge (more knowledge then a true **** char like falcon).

That is what IMO seperates low tier from the rest. That and placings. On paper Sonic looks like **** but in the hands of a good player Sonic can really throw off people and beat them, IMO thats what constitutes for mid tier.
I suppose you're right, Ozz.

You're so right with the last paragraph though. Sonic looks like so much *** on paper. lol.

Espy, i will still never understand why you just consistently belittle your character and lobby about how bad he is. You should want Sonic to be absolute best and work for him to be just that. Especially coming from something that is as crazy about Sonic as you are.
I actually try very hard to expand on Sonic's metagame. The problem is that his tricks and gimmicks are starting to not work anymore, and that's making it that much more difficult to win in matches across the entire board. I have to then try to make new gimmicks and tricks to load up Sonic's overwhelming options, but then those tricks also stale out and stop working.

I started using Pivot SDC Cancel into a grab, and it worked TWICE before people caught on. I can't even surprise anyone with it anymore because they know what will happen. Sonic has this large range of options, but there's no point when half of them get slashed before you're even able to start a match.

I say he's worse than everyone thinks because I feel as though they honestly don't know the ins and outs of Sonic. I'm not going to say I know everything about this character myself, because I don't, and probably never will, but I feel like I'm one of those players who know an enormous deal about Sonic. Being one of those players, I can see exactly what it is that makes Sonic fail and get shut down in tournaments.

I want Sonic to do better, Tyson, but there's just no hope for trying to do that if he's an inherently bad character.

Sonic will never win tournaments, much less get consistent money-placings. Sonic will never be able to beat a competent Meta Knight/Wario/Ice Climbers/Falco/Snake/Diddy Kong/Lucario unless the player COMPLETELY obliterates the opponent. Lastly, Sonic will NEVER get better than he already is overall.

I say overall because I've actually bothered to tinker around with Diddy Kong's bananas, and have actually found several setups that lead into that new infinite and guaranteed KOs. Whether this will benefit the match up or not depends on application in tournament, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

At this point, there's nothing left to gain except a little trinket here or there, so why not keep trying? If it means learning something new about Sonic, I'm all for it.

tl;dr: I always say Sonic is bad because I feel like I understand how frail his potential really is, but at the same time, I try my best because I want to completely understand this character.

PS: I'm also just upset that Sonic sucks, being the Sonic fanboy that I am. x-x

=====

Anyways, it's fine I suppose. I'll stop with all of this Sonic for low tier banter. I still personally believe he belongs there, but I doubt I'll ever convince anyone else otherwise.

That, and I suck at convincing people anyways.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Espy, you gotta realize, careful and patient play shuts down most gimmicks and tricks and mixups. Your character may not be good b/c of his lack of one solid kill option, but, being the fastest character in the game, you have the best mixup options in the game, b/c people can't prepare for something they can't react to (I would know, I've tried standing in place to bait/grab you, and failed every time).

Xyro77

One of the best post ive ever seen in this thread. VERY GOOD, ozz.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Does this mean you will finally stop including him in low tier events?

Or at least make this next Hobo the last low tier including Sonic?

Xyro77

The tier list is being remade as we speak(this is no secret) and its update will put the correct characters in a more correct place.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
but hes mid tier. im going to laugh win all those sonics molest you, tall tall.
Lucas vs. Sonic is pretty even, and tallman beat me in friendlies back at one of the HOBOs.
I'm pretty sure he'd do fine.

I've actually been surprised people have kept him in as long.
I've been messing around with Mario for awhile in anticipation for whenever Sonic stops being included...and stuff.

...I still think he's low tier though. Or at least bottom of mid.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I've actually been surprised people have kept him in as long.
I've been messing around with Mario for awhile in anticipation for whenever Sonic stops being included...and stuff.

...I still think he's low tier though. Or at least bottom of mid.
Yeah, idk. It's just funny to me that we want MK banned because he's too good, but we allow a mid tier in low tier events. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom