• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
So I assume there aren't any places? Surprising for such a huge city.
Def join the facebook groups. I've learned there isn't much ssb talk in this thread unless there's a tournament going on

That being said, I've played Smash at Insomnia (place inside the loop). They don't usually have a bunch of setups for Smash though, so bring your own if you wanna get a good amount of games in. They have TVs you can hook up to

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
We talk about everything here. No restrictions.

Edit: Insomnia 5 smash tournament has been posted on the OP!

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I guess porting him took less time since Brawl and this game share similar assets.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
He could be decent in this game. No more chaingrabs and multhit moves are too good in this game. Plus his smashes are so spammable. Usmash will probably be amazing due to how veritical kill moves are too good in this game and is designed to catch spotdodges and rolls. If Dsmash clips through edges and platforms...

It really depends on how his moves were tweaked to combo this time around.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Was it because people tried streaming every match for the last few matches? I think this is a huge problem as of late if a tournament is extended by an extra hour or two because muh stream matches. Sacrifices need to be made so people don't stay past midnight, at least for a weekly on weekday...

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
The one time we used Tio, it seemed super complicated. I think we could give it another shot though, especially if we number setups. I'll definitely pass this along to the KSL admins.

I don't think streaming hype matches was the issue, it was moreso getting people in losers to play out their matches. We were probably being too lenient on people disappearing, not reporting matches quickly, playing friendlies, beer pong, etc..

Also, no more doubles unfortunately. It just won't fit in the timeframe.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Eliminating doubles is probably the smartest thing, as much it saddens me to hear that...

And definitely enforce matches to play faster. Do some Xyro DQs if needed. Don't let personal feelings get in the way of running a tournament.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Streaming does slow things down sometimes. Challonge has a great deal of potential for multiple TOs. You just need to enforce harder.

Also, for weeklies you could definitely just for bo3 for finals. Finals take up alot of time because they are usually evenly matched opponents playing more games than anyone else. Its just a weekly and I dont know if b05 is needed.

Xyro77

Tio is super easy to use and speeds up events tremendously. I can teach you.

Edit: don't use TioPro

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, guess I'll start Splatoon this weekend...

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Absolutely DUMB that I have to resort to this. Plus they are not nearly as ideal as having a headset. I can't hear my teammates much on Skype when lots of action is going down.
Why is it dumb. It's the same either way.
If I'm playing a shooter with people, I still have to listen to my teammates bg noise even if I don't want too regardless if I'm using gamepad mic or skype cursevoice etc. lol

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Any shooter with a good voice chat system lets you selectively mute players you don't want to hear, or globally mute all mics if you don't want to listen to teammates.

No one has to listen to anyone, but it would be nice to have the option. Taking away options to appeal to casuals more is just lowering the potential for the game to be awesome.

Xyro77

"Awesome" is an opinion. I think the lack of voice chat is BETTER than with it.

Voice chat promotes try-hards. Try-hards on a casual/kiddie/non serious game is the WORST.

Also, the anti Splatoon amiibo video is hilarious
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RE-orx_HTfE

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
He could be decent in this game. No more chaingrabs and multhit moves are too good in this game. Plus his smashes are so spammable. Usmash will probably be amazing due to how veritical kill moves are too good in this game and is designed to catch spotdodges and rolls. If Dsmash clips through edges and platforms...

It really depends on how his moves were tweaked to combo this time around.
Imagine if he still has his dair > dtilt jab lock... :applejack:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Dude...done, Lucas confirmed top tier. Time to get rage kills at 20% with Usmash.

Xyro77

The newest Official Houston Tier list has been released!

Last updated 6/1/2015 (post 1.0.6 diddy patch)

1: Trela:4miisword::4mewtwo:
2: FlipHop :4diddy:
3: GrimTurtle :4falcon::4fox:
4: Kara:4sheik:
5: Samboner:4sheik:
6: Gnes:4shulk:
7: Mbhone:4mario:
8: Whispy :4diddy:
9: PJ :4tlink:
10: Avoid:4falcon:
HM: Tipy :4tlink:

Lucas is being released in 9 days and a patch will come with him so this is the last 1.0.6 (diddy nerf patch) tier list. The next update to the tier list will come in August or Sept.

Congratulations to all who have remained in their position and to those who have climbed the list. Special shoutouts go to those who finally made the list.

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
BC, I know you're on that panel that helps decide the top tier. I will pay you so much money to bump me in there next time. Jk. I would pay you some money to do this though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So here comes the TLs...and soon TLK will be needed again...

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Still have no idea how the PR is being determined lol. No hate towards Samboner and mbohne cause they my boys, but how are they placing above Whispy/Myself/Gnes coming out to wha.. 2-3 events? Was it taken just from Comicpalooza/TGC2/Texas Showdown?

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Still have no idea how the PR is being determined lol. No hate towards Samboner and mbohne cause they my boys, but how are they placing above Whispy/Myself/Gnes coming out to wha.. 2-3 events? Was it taken just from Comicpalooza/TGC2/Texas Showdown?
The rules are on the first page. Most recent events count the most IIRC

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
Here is how: the most biased people in the community debate in a Facebook group while simultaneously creating arbitrary, biased determinations subsequently stroking their egos and further skewing their perceptions.

Inb4: "this isn't biased at all, we use XYZ. Something something new gens."

Last edited:

Lord _ Ganon

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone my name is chris and I just recently found out houston had a smash scene. I've never been to a tourney even though me and my friends been playing smash since it came out on the 64. I main Ganondorf and have a few other pocket characters, but I mainly use the dark lord himself. Anyways, I look forward to meeting and playing with you guys in future tournaments.

Xyro77

Hello everyone my name is chris and I just recently found out houston had a smash scene. I've never been to a tourney even though me and my friends been playing smash since it came out on the 64. I main Ganondorf and have a few other pocket characters, but I mainly use the dark lord himself. Anyways, I look forward to meeting and playing with you guys in future tournaments.
Welcome to the scene! Feel
Free to post about anything in this thread. It doesn't have to be about smash. We are all pretty nice people.

Check the first post of the thread for upcoming tournaments. I've added Insomnia and KSL Championships along with TGC 3.

If you have any questions or need help finding something of smashboards, just ask.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Its based on events since the last PR voting. Those are the 3 major events that count the most of course, but most of us consider the weekly tournaments that get pretty stacked. You only went to one event where Gnes/Jband were your best wins, Tipy placed the same with better wins imo and he was pretty much left off by most votes. Whispy beat Gnes and Karna once since the patch. I believe Gnes also beat Karna once, but if we use that to put people above the bone bros then there would be like a 20 way tie in the middle of the PR. Sambone and Mbhone both beat Denti, if you can't match that win you need some other major and consistent wins to be above them. Like Grim and Flip.

We don't have any logical criteria, its just a voting based PR. People like me and Trela obviously use logic, but then you have people like Xyro who openly dislike certain playstyles and don't want them on the PR (this mostly just applies to BC being pure evil). If you are worried about newgen being undervalued, Xyro had the most newgens on his voting list AND uses the least amount of logic/results to form his list.

When old gen and new gen show up to an event the top 8 is just Karna swimming in a sea of ancient wisdom on top of the new gen corpses.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
His results are beneath sambone and mbhone and maybe tipy. The inactivity is just the gravy that helped him slide to the bottom.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
It was just like the brawl PR. I was still bottom of top 10 but still there cause of inactivity but skill level was higher enough to not be in the ranks.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Power rankings aren't the end all be all Avoid, at the end of the day being power ranked #X isn't going to win you games

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
As always, rankings don't really matter beyond a silly ego boost. Trela is #1, but that doesn't mean he will never lose to people below him (see PJ three stocking him). You don't need a list to tell you how good your are, let your placings and individual matches vs top players speak for themselves.

If you think someone is "undeserving" of their position. then make it your goal to go after them at TGC or weeklies or whatever. Prove to the panel that they are wrong.

And think of it this way, people tend to underestimate people who are supposedly "not good." This is probably the worst sin you can commit as a competitive player, because you can lose to anyone at anytime for any reason, especially in this game.

Last edited:

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I could care less about where I place. I was trying to understand how PR was determined. It didn't make sense to me that players like Tipy/Whispy/Gnes attend more events (SFC, KSL, etc) along with the top 3 major tournaments, place well, and have that outweighed by the bone bros doing great at one or two bigger events. Sure, they've beaten Denti which is a great win to have under your belt, but the others haven't faced him yet either. Who else have they beaten?

I can understand going down for inactivity though. Like I said, where I place doesn't matter to me. I do think that the players representing Houston should be accurate and based off tournament placings rather than having a win or two against a top player. Flukes happen now and then, so how can you go based off one set? FYI, I do have Gnes/Jband wins, but I did also beat Espy twice at SAM 3 (lost to him at TGC2, making us 2-1 my favor in sets), beat Grim at the same tournament but lost to him in losers (making us 1-1 in sets), and won two sets at a KSL tournament against Trela's Mewtwo (who also placed 2nd at TGC making us 2-2 in sets). I do agree Tipy has been on the come up and should've been more than an HM.

I don't believe that people are undeserving of their position. Mbohne and Sam are def two of the top players in Houston. I do think that those who attend more events, are consistent in placements, and done well at the smaller ones also should be considered more than doing well at one or two major events.

Which results are below those three though Tesh? iirc, I outplaced them at the only event I've attended with them. I've placed the same or above Tipy at majority of the tournaments I've been too. As for the other events, I've taken top 5-7 at majority of the others I've been too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom