• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Whats up! 1st and foremost I would like to thank everyone that supported me and Xyro for the past couple of years of us running TYS/Hobo/Whobo tournaments. We are about to begin a new chapter for Texas gaming and it all starts with this event. This events food is being sponsored by AirbrushKing.net and TGCApp.net and the capacity for this venue were we are going to be at can hold 250 players. I want to go over a few things before we kick off promotion and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

#1: It is mandatory that all attendees must get your tickets at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-ro...t-8pokemon-xy-tournaments-tickets-13016154669 in order to enter the venue were The Road to TGC will be held at and to register for any of the tournaments. RSVP on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/1464546770489796 if you have a facebook account. Print/show your ticket at the venue or show us your ticket on your phone and If you do not have a ticket you will not be able to enter the venue area. 1 ticker per person! Only get a ticket if you are 100% going!

#2: When you arrive at the venue follow these 5 steps:
Step 1: Players will line up and show me your ticket. I will take your ticket and give you a TGCApp.net flyer so you can download the app while you are eating if you dont already have it downloaded.
Step 2: See Xyro for registration and tell him what games you want to enter so he can enter you in the braket.
Step 3: Grab some food while supplies last. 1st come 1st serve!
Step 4: While you are eating pull out your phone and your flyer and go to TGCApp.net and download the TGC App if you dont already have it downloaded.
Step 5: Tournaments will start and let the games begin!

#3: This event will also be the celebration of the launch for the TGC Mobile App. This mobile app will be on Android, iphone/apple devices and Windows platforms. Me and my team have been developing this app for some time now and it will be available for download early October. Downloading this app will keep you updated on the series rankings, notify you when tournaments and promotions are announced, lastest news and much more. You can download the app at TGCApp.net when it becomes avaiable.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
EDIT: Posted in tournament thread, please answer there so everyone can see...

I have a few serious questions:

1. Is it required to RSVP on facebook? I don't have an account and do not want one. Also, consider that some younger participants may not be allowed to have a facebook account.

2. Is the app required? Again, I prefer to not get it if I do not have to. Some people may not have access to a smartphone.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I definitely do not like the idea of requiring something as trivial as a RSVP on Facebook of all players. Many people do not have Facebook and anyone should be allowed to simply show up and pay venue or whatever is necessary. Requiring RSVP on Facebook seems like it would only hurt attendance.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
EDIT: Posted in tournament thread, please answer there so everyone can see...

I have a few serious questions:

1. Is it required to RSVP on facebook? I don't have an account and do not want one. Also, consider that some younger participants may not be allowed to have a facebook account.

2. Is the app required? Again, I prefer to not get it if I do not have to. Some people may not have access to a smartphone.

Thanks in advance.
Ok Ill answer your questions RT.

1: RSVP is not required and will edit that but highly suggested this way we can get a feel for the attendance and yea I know some younger participants may not be allowed facebook accounts as to why its not 100% required.

2: No the app is not required but encouraged to download for users that have smartphones so that you can get updates and notifications on promotions and announcements.

I definitely do not like the idea of requiring something as trivial as a RSVP on Facebook of all players. Many people do not have Facebook and anyone should be allowed to simply show up and pay venue or whatever is necessary. Requiring RSVP on Facebook seems like it would only hurt attendance.
Its not required to RSVP on facebook. I edited that and its not mandatory. The only thing that is mandatory is that you get a ticket from eventbrite. You can print the ticket or show us on your phone. This will ensure we dont break firecode at the venue and get shut down by the fire marshals. Every venue has a cap and using eventbrite will help us know what our attendance is and when we are close to hitting the cap.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
RSVP on FB isn't mandatory but it's highly recommended so we can see a rough guess on potential attendance.

As for the EventBrite thing. Either print a ticket or show it to us on your phone/friend's phone. It really does help us keep track of numbers.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Great, that's a relief.

Thanks for the clarification.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
So If I don't show a ticket or have my phone, I won't be able to get in? I've been going to tournaments for smash since 2008 and every venue has a fire code (it's the law). I've never been forced to do anything just to go. Sorry, but I do not like the ticket thing. If anything, it will only HURT attendance as you're setting a requirement just to literally show up.

I say strongly reconsider it. You can just collect venue fee/count heads as they check in. Heck, give them the fliers as they pay for the venue. I doubt we'll be getting 100-200 people at these monthlies to the point where fire safety is an issue. If that's the case, a new venue is needed anyways. The RSVP should obviously be optional (which I'm glad to see it is). The ticket thing should be optional as well.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I was about to ask a similar thing. My phone doesn't have the capability to show tickets, and if I still didn't have a Facebook, I'd have absolutely no reasonable way to get into an event.

I don't like this idea if it's a mandatory requirement. Feels like it's excluding a bunch of people who just want to show up and play. :applejack:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Espy host tournaments with custom moves legal and ill go to yours instead.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Don't like the ticket thing at all basically due to what Razer and Espy said but that event will be hype.

What's the cap on the amount of players allowed to enter? Seems more like a concert or band show, rather than a "anyone's allowed to show up and play" tournament type of thing. Registration will likely take even longer now due to this and the tournament may start late. Pre-registration and all of that was what delayed WHOBO for so long in venue lines practically every year. Now we need a ticket or someone w/ a phone? Unnecessary complications, if venue cap is an issue - why don't we just plan ahead with a larger one? On top of that, why would we want to even limit attendance? That's gonna kill the hype of a lot of new people wanting to come in the first place. "Sorry, you can't attend. We have to take into consideration venue cap" sounds really gross. Do you guys have some of planned out tournament/seasonal contract with Texadelphia or something?

Tickets just seem untraditional and aren't common knowledge within the smash community. I know I don't have a smart-phone but thankfully I'll have close friends who will help me out. For new players who aren't as social that may not be the case. And you need to take into consideration people who happen to find out about the tournament the day of or tag along w/ a friend and decide to enter off a whim. I appreciate you guys making all these changes for the players, I'm not trying to come across as confrontational or rude here; I just want to see others enter the community the exact same why I did when I joined Smash (because it was honestly perfect). I seriously think this change might make a dent in attendance and I'd suggest reconsidering if possible.

Last edited:

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Ticket to enter the venue? Similar to EventBrite? Re-entry rules? God damn and I just had a sour experience at Stereo Live cause of one-time use EventBrite tickets then accidentally leaving the venue after 10 mins getting split from my group only to find out they have a no re-entry rule. Spent $30 to not even have 10 mins to rage to house music. So am I gonna drop moneys for 10 mins of Smash if I **** up on my venue stuffs?

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Let me educate you all on some things real quick so that way you know why the getting your ticket is important from here on out. As I told xyro the reason this is being implemented now is to have crowd control and this means that every venue we go to from here on out will have a capacity meaning that if you go over the capacity the venue can be fined up to "$1000 per player". There were plenty of times when we did hobo's and tys at funplex and we went over capacity but i never said anything. Management suggested we dont do that again and that we go to a bigger room as to why I got the zone.

Understand we are in a new age now were this TGC Mobile app is going to be the 1st app out there like this so with that players are going to be sharing the app with there friends constantly which will increase turnout and add to our player base. This ticket option is no different from what we did at whobo so there no difference. To answer illmatics question the reason why whobo registration took so long is because I had to search for everyone in my computer 1 by 1 and we had 200 players. With the tickets you show us your ticket and move on which eliminates me having to search for your name in the pc which saves us time.

TGC will have alot of sponsors that will be on aboard, magazine features and most important tv coverage. Take a second and look outside the box for a minute. You will realize that when I put a TGC flyer featuring all the top players in the Houston Press and other magazines thats touching the entire Houston readers which is thousands which will add players to our scene. Promotion is what gets players involved and how they hear about it is important to the scene because its growth is whats important. Years from now the scene will be huge just cause of all the advertising and the TGC app.

Lets say the app does 10,000 downloads in 1 year and this is only Texas players. Realize that when I send out a notification to all 10,000 players everyone will be purchasing there tickets and lets say the venue can hold 500 max. What happens when if I decide to say no tickets and all is welcome. The tournament will be a disaster because there is no crowd control meaning you have to put a cap on the attendance this way you can tell everyone your sold out on tickets. Concerts do this for a reason and we did this at whobo for a reason. The upstairs was suppose to hold 80 people and we put 200 up there. I cant take this risk at the new venues i have and wont risk them getting fined.

Remember smash wont be only game that will be the focus, all games will. Check these past results as im using this as an example so you all can understand what im talking about. TGC will be exactly like this. Dont look at the ticket thing as a bad thing because its not. It will prevent problems from happening and fines and fire marshals from coming. Its not fair to any venue that we go over capacity and they get slapped with a fine. Doing the tickets will help us alot. It will let us know ahead of time how many people are coming so we can prepare to prevent any problems from happening.

(Test Your Skills 3/Hobo 17)
Tournament Results Aug 1, 2009) (Turnout was 160+)

(Street Fighter 4) Registered Players (14)

[Champions]

1st Jan (Zangief/Abel)

2nd Knuckles (Vega)

3rd Winchester (Sagat)

(Smash Bros. Brawl) (((Metaknight was BANNED))) Registered Players (100)

[Champions]

1st Razer (Snake)

2nd Gness(Diddy)

3rd Dojo (Diddy/Kirby)

(Marvel Vs Capcom 2) Registered Players (18)

[Champions]

1st Toan

2nd Carnevil

3rd Tin

(Soul Calibur 4) (Winner takes all/2nd place gets entry fee back) Registered Players (5)

[Champions]

1st The Last Dragon

2nd Whodat

3rd Chickenwing

(Smash Bros. Melee) Registered Players (22)

[Champions]

1st Lee Martin

2nd Sybawave

3rd Dojo

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Once again, I know of almost no one who does this across the country unless there is pre-reg for huge tournaments. The app is not really my concern right now. It's 100% about the ticket thing which relates to everything myself, Illmatic and Espy has said. Also using "10,000 downloads" with no actual sample size with no data for our community is way exaggerated.

So if a player who doesn't know about the ticket thing shows up and doesn't have it, will he be denied from entering? Can't they just borrow a friend's or someone's phone who is right there and RSVP on the spot to get in? It still seems pointless. This isn't a concert. This is a tournament. I'm getting the feeling that this is literally a CAP. Why don't you just list the cap in thread then? What if tickets "sell out" but not everyone shows up? This system is flawed for this tournament series imo.

So let me lastly ask, are tickets REQUIRED to even show up and will you be denied if you don't have one?

Last edited:

z00ted

Kinda weird how every tournament won't be exclusively Smash anymore.
Why are we capping Smash tournaments when we could just make it smash only and potentially allow more entrants?

Will there be multiple TOs (that we're currently unaware of) at each tournament to host each event or will it be Xyro + ABK both trying to collect all results? I'm not against the idea of more options in a competitive community but if we're barely even hosting 64 or Project: Melee at the Brawl tournaments we've already been hosting (due to time constraints and finishing the actual tourney in a decent time) why would we merge it all together like this when we know we'll have a ton of entrants geared for Smash 4?

I think that app or whatever is related to it is fine and also a great idea, but aren't you just contradicting yourself by saying that you'll have to cap regardless of the amount of people who are educated about the tournament? I'm well aware that tickets could potentially help forecast the amount of players who will show up but why not just get a larger venue and throw the whole ticket thing / every other game out the window like we were doing at Funplex?

Last edited:

Xyro77

Until smash gets huge (and it will) I'll be running kart/smash and Pkmn (once sync teaches me). When smash gets big, sync (or p4?) will take over pkmn and RT (or whoever I trust) will do kart.

The difference with this series is I will not be doing tons of side events like low tier/mid tier/PM/melee/brawl.....etc.

Also, remember HOBO 10 and 11? I had over 100 players for singles alone. Like 30-40 teams. I literally needed all TVs and all 12 hours just for smash. Of TGC gets to that point, it would be impossible to run 3 separate games in just 12 hours. Obviously, in that event, adjustments would be made in terms of what games we will offer.

We are a long way from that however.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
^ I can already see this ticket thing as only hurting. We aren't MLG. We're still grassroots. Smash will be the main event. Pokemon and Kart and such won't be getting smash numbers. The projections are being way too exaggerated. Please do not make the ticket thing required. It's quite honestly not a good reason. If it's a cap, call it what it is. A cap. Don't force people to print or do something just to enter.

z00ted

LOL the ticket thing isn't that big of a deal to just outright not go, but I definitely agree w/ Razer on grassroots.
And yeah, I understand Xyro. That's good to hear, I'm excited! Although I do think we may be closer to that than you think..

Last edited:

IamTyle

Smash Rookie
Have not been to a HOBO since 09 but this ticket thing seems stupid if its mandatory. I mean like who the FUKC are you to make me print stuff out or show you my phone? Xyro, i knoq ABK gets venues for you but please don't let this ticket garbage happen. I want those simple HOBO days back when i walked in with cash, played smash and lost first round.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
LMAO jesus christ playing brawl is bad enough and now you are forcing carnival tickets on these ******s? Thank god i dropped this **** game and stayed with melee.

sup tyle

**** xyro

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
^ No point being that aggressive, lol.

Of course everyone and their mother is always going to prefer the status quo and be completely against/unreceptive to changes with any form of difference / varied benefits (you likely play melee and deny any other game on the basis of it not being melee, you aren't exactly the demographic Xyro/ABK give a **** about).

Making sure you stay within the law? Pretty important in any venture that's trying to expand professionalism/otherwise.
People need to buy/pay for tickets through an online service to go to any event ever? Harsh. Allow people to buy "season" passes or something similar in person/venue so they they can still use an online interface to confirm attendance at other events. Being able to pay for things in cash still seems to be required to satisfy most people, but there should be incentives to transition to something else.

Last edited:

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Razer: 10,000+ downloads is not exaggerated and is very possible in a short space of time especially if promotion is huge so dont count that out. Ive gotten a tournament advertised on 93.7 the beat and also know some people at 97.9 that can advertise TGC as well so anything is possible when you have those connections. I will be doing a TGCApp Tour and taking this app to all the colleges and promoting it. Im already talking to principles and teachers. The system is not flawed when all we are trying to do is prevent people from wasting time coming to the event after capacity is reached. Im sure you would like to know if tickets are still available to see if you can come or not. How would you feel showing up to a TGC event and then not being able to get in because you didnt know it was sold out? If we dont do this now it will be done later to be honest while we continue to grow. I already have people that have already gotten there tickets so its not like this isnt going to work. Please see the big picture here and see it from a TO/Venue perspective, if we go over the cap for example 250 players we can prevent people from coming by telling them the tickets are sold out. If I know an event is sold out in time then I wont go because it says "sold out". Again if we dont do this now it will have to be done at some point so please understand were im coming from.

Illmatic: Even if we get a large venue like funplex whats going to stop us from preventing a disaster from happening when all those people show up? I invited my whole HoustonVGN group to come to this event which has 1416 players from allover texas and houston. Some already got there tickets.

To be honest everyone i can remove the mandatory and just say tickets are available and are highly encouraged then post and say sold out on tickets when the cap is hit. All this will do is question how many will attend and have us wondering how many people will we have to turn away because we didnt let the players know ahead of time the event is sold out. I see alot of people talking about the ticket thing like if its a bad thing so lets find some solutions then and mention how if you are in our shoes how you plan on handling large amounts of crowds every month. TYS 3 and Hobo 17 had 160 people and that number is not including spectators. Also please answer these questions for me.

1: This event Nov 1 is free venue and free food. The venue capacity can hold 250 players. What happens when 300 people show up? If we set it the way we have it now we can prevent the other extra 50 people from showing up and being turned away because the venue has reached the capacity limit. This is what im trying to say that it can prevent any problems from happening and time being wasted. People from all over texas will be attending these events and the last thing I want is somebody driving far away from houston and having to come and see that the venue capacity has been hit when I could have told them ahead of time that the event was "sold out".

2: Why is getting a ticket such a big issue? You pre-regged for whobo and got a wristband at the door and we said whobo was capped at 200 people and ended up getting 200 people. Had we do anymore we would have had to turn people away.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Or you can just have a pay to play setup at the venue and bypass any of this bureaucratic mumbo jumbo. :applejack:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Until you have data backing up such numbers, it is exaggerated and has no basis. Once again, the app isn't even my concern.

How would you feel if the tickets are "sold out" and then it is revealed that people don't bother to show up which bars someone else from coming? Know how to fix that? Just let them come. Because I know it will happen.

The problem is, you shouldn't be implementing this now. This is definitely a MONTHLY. WHOBO was a NATIONAL with pre-reg like most nationals to prevent DELAYS, not caps. This is essentially a CAP. And the RSVP ticket is just a different form of pre-reg. Monthlies should NOT have this. It will only hurt attendance.

Allan and many TO's across the country have been doing these tournaments for years. I've never heard of this being done for monthlies or even regionals.

And whobo/pre-reg type events always cause a clog. This is such an issue because this isn't whobo. It isn't a national. Big tournaments should be planned and accommodated accordingly with a different venue. Also, I still think everyone's points still stand. If a cap is an issue, a different venue should be pursued then. This first tournament will not be getting 300 people imo.

Also, places like Funplex shouldn't be used as examples. Players were not the only ones there and I'm sure not all 160 were in that single room at all times.

Edit 2: What if someone gets tickets and goes to only spectate? Or if tickets are "sold out" and want to just spectate? There are many issues that will go with this ticket system and it will never be a perfect X out of X players actually show up or don't.

Last edited:

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Cool! So I was thinking and decided to go ahead and make the eventbrite optional. I will be updating all the facebook threads and smashboards thread as well with this info and this is how it will work from here on out. Eventbrite will be optional and not mandatory and if you as the player purchases there ticket they are 100% guaranteed to attend and compete in the event. If the player does not buy there ticket you can still come to the venue but risk coming to the event and if we are over capacity you will not be able to come in and compete in the tournament so it would be highly suggested you purchase your ticket to guarantee your attendance. Thank you everyone for the feedback and look forward to seeing you all Nov 1. Let the hype begin!

Xyro77

Ok now that all of that poop is gone, I've been watching smash 4 demos for about 3 hours now on over 13 streams.

Zero did a legit 67% combo with Mario. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DS_rV3lfSpY&feature=youtu.be

Villager is OBSCENE. He can literally pocket ANYTHING that is not a punch or kick. I saw him pocket a MegaMan f-smash and kill MegaMan with it at 38%. He pockets MegaMans doggy, pikachu thunder.....everything. Oh and his side+B and up+B can BOTH go all the way under FD. It's crazy.

Pikachu is super good too along with Mario.

Link is faster and his dair spikes but he's still pretty bad.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm thinking this Smash will have less defined tiers than Brawl. Like, there will be obvious disadvantages in some matchups, but there won't be as many impossible-to-win matchups nor any overly garbage characters.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Cool! So I was thinking and decided to go ahead and make the eventbrite optional. I will be updating all the facebook threads and smashboards thread as well with this info and this is how it will work from here on out. Eventbrite will be optional and not mandatory and if you as the player purchases there ticket they are 100% guaranteed to attend and compete in the event. If the player does not buy there ticket you can still come to the venue but risk coming to the event and if we are over capacity you will not be able to come in and compete in the tournament so it would be highly suggested you purchase your ticket to guarantee your attendance. Thank you everyone for the feedback and look forward to seeing you all Nov 1. Let the hype begin!
Thanks for listening out. I wasn't trying to dog on you or anything. I just felt like it would do more harm than good. I like this route better. GET HYPED!

Top Bottom