• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
He used your ".......no" against you.

That is messed up.

I guess not going to Combo Breaker then...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Poor baby, having to ride and do whatever you want while the driver has to stay awake and drive for 4 hours.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
BC just beat Karna at that one Katy tournament you guys had in question about the payouts. Don't think they had customs, either.

I think BC saw my post and wasn't very, umm, HAPPY with it.

By the way, Knife, I'm just gonna ride with Gamma to SAM 3 this weekend and skip out on the customs tournament on Sunday. Trying to focus on customs for such a short period of time for only a small handful of tournaments is not worth it to me, really. Kinda lost interest in it all after the tournament last night, too.

Oh, and I COMPLETELY forgot about that Comic Palooza tournament even happening in the first place. Guess I'm not going to Combo Breaker after all. CEO tho.......
Did you just try to call BC out for beating people "above his level"? Pretty sure people can do that without customs by going diddy kong.
Zero and Dabuz...... Olimar /Fox......Op Glitch. ....60% Insane Knockback one hit pikmin... lol. wow..
i can only imagine that was more entertaining than watching dabuz stand there while zero wins 2v1 with diddy

edit: i wish turning customs off would magically make BC fun to play against

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I'd actually watch Zero win 2v1s with diddy. Place sidebets on which of the 2 vs him will deal more damage, who will lose their stock first, how many taunts will Dabuz do, the possibilities are endless

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Read some of that reddit post. Japanese players didn't say they dont like customs. One said practicing it JUST for EVO wasnt worth it (and its really not imo, like 1000 dollars to fly here for 1 tournament) and one said allowing only 10 sets per character was silly.

Hopefully no one is listening to Japan though. I really don't want to play 2 stock FD only customs off.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
Read some of that reddit post. Japanese players didn't say they dont like customs. One said practicing it JUST for EVO wasnt worth it (and its really not imo, like 1000 dollars to fly here for 1 tournament) and one said allowing only 10 sets per character was silly.

Hopefully no one is listening to Japan though. I really don't want to play 2 stock FD only customs off.
we don't play fd only you buffoon, it would have made sense to say smashville. customs sound absolutely terrible. it's a shame too, they could have been really interesting if they worked out like i wanted them to. but having more moves is like having more characters to balance. and we couldn't even diddy diddy so... maybe if sakurai cared more about competitive smash we would have seen custom moves implemented in a more tourney friendly fashion. but that's not the case it seems.
another thing about customs. idk if any other characters have this problem, but marth gains little to nothing from his customs, while other characters get so much more, like rosaliner, villager, or olimer. and what was that i saw back there about shuk killing at 60% with a jab? is that serious?

i'm a noob though, so this is all imo

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I'm a fan of Calm Animal. I love heavys(:

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
we don't play fd only you buffoon, it would have made sense to say smashville. customs sound absolutely terrible. it's a shame too, they could have been really interesting if they worked out like i wanted them to. but having more moves is like having more characters to balance. and we couldn't even diddy diddy so... maybe if sakurai cared more about competitive smash we would have seen custom moves implemented in a more tourney friendly fashion. but that's not the case it seems.
another thing about customs. idk if any other characters have this problem, but marth gains little to nothing from his customs, while other characters get so much more, like rosaliner, villager, or olimer. and what was that i saw back there about shuk killing at 60% with a jab? is that serious?

Marth gains a faster and stronger counter (not super useful but still helps), dash assault for covering like every option, but most importantly crescent slash for guaranteed grab follows that KILL. Now your grabs actually mean something, solid damage+insta offstage which leads to marth ledgetraps which is yummm

It makes his gameplay more rewarding, but doesn't make him SSS tier or anything...

I'm actually fan of heavy DB, even though people say it's "bad". there's something about db that make people wanna jump into it ;3

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
BC just beat Karna at that one Katy tournament you guys had in question about the payouts. Don't think they had customs, either.

I think BC saw my post and wasn't very, umm, HAPPY with it.

By the way, Knife, I'm just gonna ride with Gamma to SAM 3 this weekend and skip out on the customs tournament on Sunday. Trying to focus on customs for such a short period of time for only a small handful of tournaments is not worth it to me, really. Kinda lost interest in it all after the tournament last night, too.

Oh, and I COMPLETELY forgot about that Comic Palooza tournament even happening in the first place. Guess I'm not going to Combo Breaker after all. CEO tho.......
Ah that's cool. Campy Villager is already dumb, so Campy Custom Villager is 10x worse. Glad you hung in there that long. I honestly told BC to go Diddy against me on his stage (Halberd) because I did not want to deal with it. Beat Kreb's Custom Villager ayyy.

That being said, custom Villager is only 2/380ish custom moves. I wanna play against more customs, even if mine suck. I still want to check out that custom tourney in SA, so I can better a better understanding of custom metagame and come to my own conclusion. If anything, I may end up merging with Kreb's carpool if more people leave my carpool. I'll let you guys in my carpool know. Again, just let me know if something changes Grim, Tesh, or Gaius.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Forgetting about who's going with who for a second, how many of us are actually going?

-Knife :4link:
-Tesh :4megaman::4sonic:
-Grim :4falcon::4fox:
-Gaius :4falcon::4sheik::4jigglypuff:
-Trela :4robinf::4shulk::4charizard:
-Xyro :4samus:
-Gamma :4dk:
-NK :4ness:
-Karna :4sheik:
-KJ :4marth::4sonic:
-RunCT :4peach:
-Avoid :4falcon::4wiremac:
-Krebs :4shulk::4villager:
-BC :4diddy::4villagerf:

Am I missing someone? Better watch out San Antonio.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
Marth gains a faster and stronger counter (not super useful but still helps), dash assault for covering like every option, but most importantly crescent slash for guaranteed grab follows that KILL. Now your grabs actually mean something, solid damage+insta offstage which leads to marth ledgetraps which is yummm

It makes his gameplay more rewarding, but doesn't make him SSS tier or anything...

I'm actually fan of heavy DB, even though people say it's "bad". there's something about db that make people wanna jump into it ;3
crescent slash does what?

Teshie U

Smash Lord

I'm pretty sure dancing blade is just so fundamentally ruined in this game that no variation is good. Stick with the one that gives you an extra "hop" for your air game.

You play in Japan? I haven't seen a written ruleset, but I have seen that tournaments in one major region play ONLY on omegas. I am aware the other side of Japan plays on battlefield and the smashvilles too.

I played Gnes without customs yesterday and I can confirm Shulk definitely kills at 50-60 with silly things like grabs and tilts already.

@ Sinister Slush Sinister Slush that looks like default pocket being fundamentally unfair.

I see your point though. If its one thing I HATE about doubles its abuse of "counter" moves meants to reward hard reads.

Pocket's 2.05 multiplier takes nearly useless projectiles and turns them into logic defying shield breaking instant kills.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Forgetting about who's going with who for a second, how many of us are actually going?

just pray we dont eliminate each other 1st/2nd round ;/ though with 14 of us going...probability is high though.
I know Gnes wants to go, he'll prolly bring Zori

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
Don't worry Xyro, we'll be thinking about you the whole time in spirit. You are our elder god here after all.
[/IMG]

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
Jab does kill at 60 with Hyper Monado Arts I wasn't joking lol
Even worse that 60 is actually against BOWSER

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721

Top 16 being all of Houston confirmed

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Jab does kill at 60 with Hyper Monado Arts I wasn't joking lol
Even worse that 60 is actually against BOWSER
Increased drawbacks too though. Hyper Cheese Arts is funny, but its far too easy to deal with each change for such a short period of time.

Iono, playing someone like Gnes, I could definitely avoid him for 6 seconds with customs, but using default shield to stay alive for too damn long and then abusing rage is like....too good.

Thank goodness that character has terrible frame data.

RunC.T.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RunC.T.
3DS FC
1204-0385-5852
on the subject of customs. fun to play,but not for tourney use. hell even sakurai said custom moves were a way to bend the rules of the game.

in other news custom peach turnip is busted. heavy turnip does too much damage. normal face does 16% and stitch(dear god...) does 60 and kills early, salty face does 22% and dot eyes 40%. also mr.saturn and bomb retain the same effects as the custom turnips so in short... this is one bad b****!!

Teshie U

Smash Lord
IIRC Sakurai also said the game is only balanced for singles on FD.

Heavy Turnip doesn't sound that impressive. Doesn't it take even longer to pull out? I can't imagine you'd ever get to use it outside of edgeguarding.

Razer play me with customs

Last edited:

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
i might go to SAM so count me in for now.
btw,
im in Top 8 now, well technically top 16 tomorrow.
and i know jack **** about customs haha. ill make it farther for houston :)

RunC.T.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RunC.T.
3DS FC
1204-0385-5852
yea it takes a good 2 seconds just to get one. good ol throw offstage is enough to pull one. the applications to it are limited to the standard peach player, but for aggro people its a good shield breaker, mixup tool, damage racker, and edge gaurd. turnip falls as fast as kirby stone.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
He doesn't realize that if he does well, he only proves what we have said about diddy as well adds fuel to the "ban diddy" Fire

Teshie U

Smash Lord
yea it takes a good 2 seconds just to get one. good ol throw offstage is enough to pull one. the applications to it are limited to the standard peach player, but for aggro people its a good shield breaker, mixup tool, damage racker, and edge gaurd. turnip falls as fast as kirby stone.
Its so slow to pull, but if its strong enough I could see it being a big incentive for your opponent to stay close, which Peach likes.

I think the lightweight turnip is the best. Covers approaches and she has plenty of power to follow up with anyway.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Whispy have you played a custom Villager or anything extremely janky up to this point? Plz share

Last edited:
Top Bottom