• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
Argue semantics.
Ignore general message.
Righty-o.
Well, you came to this thread under the guise that someone was "slandering" you. So yea, i will argue semantics as you're here under false pretenses.

Last edited:

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I'm already done with the topic.
Have an awesome weekend everyone! Except Xyro; I hope you have nightmares of MK being buffed.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
There are a lot of high quality shows on Netflix. These are some of the best:
House of Cards, season 1-2 are great.
Orange is the New Black
Lilyhammer
Marco Polo (cinematography is top notch and can be fun to watch but I wouldn't consider this a premier show)
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead (has its slow moments)
BBC's Sherlock
American Horror Story (I guess..)
Dexter
TED Talks
Top Gear
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown
Spartacus
and more I'm sure
I know what somebody loves to do(;

How are OOS (lol same letters as out of shield) tournaments usually? My biggest concern would be money, how much do you usually spend on these trips?

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Best way to do it is factor flight then hotel (of you split or solo) then factor food. I would at least do flight +300

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
My first time glancing over the Houston thread. Absolutely glorious to see just for the tidbits of salt that appear every now and again.

Also **** Diddy :3

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Not really. Denti also played bad. Plenty of opportunities for him to open Falcon up. Oh and dying at low percent for 3 stocks doesn't help either. FRAUD

Teshie U

Smash Lord
He didn't just "die" at low percent. It wasn't an accident. He was murdered!

Zero is beyond any other player right now clearly. I'd be pretty hyped to see him go all Falcon. He wins so easily with Diddy, he is unstoppable.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I responded to Nike's obscene call out in the SAM 3 thread.
Nike (Marth) vs Xyro (Samus)
3 out of 5 money match for $10
4/4/2015 in San Antonio, TX.
http://smashboards.com/threads/apri...-monthly-for-smash-wiiu.393986/#post-18843414

I got the day off from work so i am 100% confirmed for this trip. Everybody who is 100% wanting to go with me, please text me as soon as you read this so we can set up plans. 409-692-0697

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
He didn't just "die" at low percent. It wasn't an accident. He was murdered!

Zero is beyond any other player right now clearly. I'd be pretty hyped to see him go all Falcon. He wins so easily with Diddy, he is unstoppable.
Lol he died in dumb ways. 50/50 murder.

He's probably the best, but I'd wanna see him go all non-diddy to see what happens.

Trela

Smash Lord
So last night I went to a little get-together that Krebs was having for a customs tournament. While I didn't use any customs myself, I was fully aware that my Robin would be experiencing a custom Villager, and I wasn't sure how these matches would play out in the end. This was my first time going up against it, and given that this was nothing short of another local to test any customs you felt obligated to use, this was a good time to experiment with my options and figure out how to effectively stop custom Villager on the ledge, if at all.

I make it to WFs after a pretty good set with Knife's Link, and sure enough, I'm up against BC. Karna had lost to him 2-0 and made him switch to his Fox in an effort to combat the ledge-play, but it wasn't enough, I guess. Karna actually went on to lose to Krebs and his custom Villager as well, one resorting in a timeout. It's a shame since playing friendlies with him throughout the day proved to me that he could very well have taken this tournament, as he's clearly gotten much better and takes games off of me without much trouble. Anyway, I'll get back to him later.

Onto WFs. It didn't take me to long to understand the properties of each special move BC was now using. Timber Counter, better known as the Trip Sapling, gave him a free follow-up at anytime if I were to ever walk or run into it, namely by the ledge of course. Robin didn't struggle with this aspect too much; most of my approaches and punishes were by aerials anyway, and these approaches were to punish the start-up lag of his Pushy Lloid, AKA the Big Gyroid. I was gladly willing to trade with the Gyroid, if necessary, if it meant getting a strong Levin Sword hit on Villager. Another option that worked out greatly in the end, too, was when I would Thoron through his Gyroid for a good amount of damage, and it was definitely something I did not do enough on our matches. Extreme Balloon Trip had the most interesting properties to it, and these are pointers that MANY are unaware of when it comes to the Exploding Balloons.

First of, when Villager grabs the ledge after using the balloons, the balloons will start ascending through the stage from underneath. Any attack that so much scratches one of these balloons will make it immediately explode on you, but noticed how I only said ATTACKING the balloons with make them explode. If you do do not attack these balloons, they will slowly float past you and disappear, even if it floats right onto you. This is how I was able to beat BC. As soon as he would grab the ledge again, I would ledge trump him into a Bair, if I was ever given the chance to.

Secondly, if Villager puts up his balloons again when there is already a pair floating about, these new balloons take precedence over the old ones, thus making those old balloons instantly explode wherever they're at. Later on in my sets with BC in GFs is when I started to notice this. If the balloons had ascended enough through the stage from the ledge, Villager could input Up-B again and FORCE them to explode on the spot. But that's just it though. If he inputs his Up-B too early, the balloons will explode below the stage and leave me unaffected. It didn't effect my punishes nearly as much as I originally thought it would, but when I would have to respect his aerials below the ledge at times and not challenge them, it would give the old balloons time to ascend up to me. While it's not the strongest mix-up he has, it's another mix-up to add to the equation, nonetheless.

If you couldn't already tell from all of this, I was most definitely on the offensive pretty much the entirety of my sets against BC. Many of the games I lost to him were to carelessness and over-aggressiveness. But there were times where BC would get back up on the stage and continue his pressure that way, so it wasn't the absolute WORST thing to experience in my life. I honestly believe Villager has a positive match-up ratio on Robin, and while I found my ins-and-outs to his strategy like a REEAAAALLLLL Tactician would, I think it could have been worse. Like I mentioned before, the mix-ups are everywhere, and it's not in a good way either. I'm basically playing a game of Super Ledge Bros. at this point, and let me tell you, it's not that fun. Didn't help that we went 3-2 in WFs, 0-3 in GFs set 1, then 3-2 again in GFs set 2. Thank goodness that this was just at a small local.......

I do not wish to go through this experience again. I believe it is degeneracy. The game we played was different than your typical Smash games. It's not the fact that this is unbeatable, because it isn't. You have to ask yourself, "Why would I ever want to go through this?". Perhaps you may find those that find this type of gameplay enjoyable (namely the ones behind the strategy in the first place), but just know that I am not one of those players. I am in no way talking down on you, BC. Just letting everyone know that I do not support custom moves. Watching Karna lose to players who I believe he's never lost to because of customs doesn't sit well in my book. Yes, you can argue that he didn't know how to deal with custom Villager, but I know good and well that he's the better player here. Maybe he could do better next time against these custom Villagers.

This message he sent me tells me otherwise.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Customs is bad and people should feel bad relying on them to beat people they couldn't before.

Being aggressive against a projectile based character is basically how I dealt with BC at TGC1. Maybe just cause I'm yoshi and can be aggressive while having a decent recovery to get back, but anytime he used rockets I just punished during the animation of pulling it out or chased offstage like a madman.
Though those times usually cause he kept regrabbing the ledge so I tried to punish the no invincibility.

Feel like if I tried this against customs villager (cause exploding balloons) it'd be much more annoying to deal with and the thought of having to play against it makes me wanna second guess going to Houston.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, again, customs are supposed to make more "varied gameplay," but then you just start promoting very Brawl-ish tactics. That is not varied gameplay, that is just boring gameplay and cheesing for the win and you damn well know it. It's just not fun. But some people will continue to lie to themselves and others because winning and skillz, right gais?!

Somehow, what Xyro says is pretty much true for most pro-custom players.

Slush, at least customs are a minority here. Xyro already said he will never have custom tourneys, so yeah.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Customs as a side event seems fine. Having it be the main event...turns smash into something different and will chase many people away from the scene because people will abuse the game mechanics even harder.

I don't argue that customs can be loads of fun. So are final smashes, pokeballs, sudden death, coin battles, and team attack off. Why aren't more people arguing for the inclusion of these things?

Because that's not what we've defined competitive smash to be. Most of the arguing between customs is about this: redefining what super smash brothers is. Many don't want to see this game turned into...a goeey mess, and want the structure of the past. These people are against customs.
Some don't care or don't see the consequences or want this change: these people are pro customs.

I hope smash stays accessible and fun to people. Its almost seems like quality vs quantity: appeal to the masses and sacrifice the quality of the game, or keep the quality of the game and risk possibly not drawing in the large "eports crowd" because the game is "boring".

Interesting that such an option can cause such a major split in this community, I feel like more time is spent arguing about this game then actually learning how to play it

Xyro77

I've told yall since day one they are bad.

It took 5 months for you to figure it out?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No not really, just some people wanna test it out and give a better reasoning on why they're bad when somebody eventually says YOU GUYS HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED CUSTOMS, YOU HAVE NO SAY IN THIS as their argument.

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
We need more custom Shulk's
You people don't know true jank until you've seen jab kill at 60

Xyro77

New gens always learn the hard way. They lack the smarts to listen to the elder gods.

Trela

Smash Lord
BC just beat Karna at that one Katy tournament you guys had in question about the payouts. Don't think they had customs, either.

I think BC saw my post and wasn't very, umm, HAPPY with it.

By the way, Knife, I'm just gonna ride with Gamma to SAM 3 this weekend and skip out on the customs tournament on Sunday. Trying to focus on customs for such a short period of time for only a small handful of tournaments is not worth it to me, really. Kinda lost interest in it all after the tournament last night, too.

Oh, and I COMPLETELY forgot about that Comic Palooza tournament even happening in the first place. Guess I'm not going to Combo Breaker after all. CEO tho.......

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
Zero and Dabuz...... Olimar /Fox......Op Glitch. ....60% Insane Knockback one hit pikmin... lol. wow..

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
That match was to see who would take 1st for pools, but top 2 advance so we are good. I made it first in my pool for singles thoo o: but that was literally 5 hours ago or so... lol. I came to see how customs are, and im not a fan lol...idk if im terrible, or the customs are just too overpowered. im having fun regardless and im gunna try my best >:)

Top Bottom