• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Yall need to paying attention to Nakat's FB.

1. Fire alarm was pulled at apex

2. Support beams can't hold up the room that the carport fell near so smash 64+WiiU+Brawl (1.1k entrants) are being moved to the melee room.

3. Not too clear but Nakat is saying day 1 is cancelled

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This is a sign of karma or divine intervention.

But why would it attack Fliphop? No one hates Fliphop...only an ugly monster would.

This is probably the worst major tournament controversy I have ever seen...mainly because the tournament might not even happen.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Twitter is going around. MLG and the Apex staff trying to figure a location. I know for sure today is scratched.

Xyro77

The TO of CEO is saying on Twitter that a venue swap is the last thing they wanna do because no venues in the area are prepared for 2-3k people this quickly.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Seems like that hotel might be in deep **** for allowing that room to be used without having it properly checked. The guy who pulled that alarm may have just saved some lives this weekend.

This is unfortunate. A very low budget community trying to pull together for its biggest event ever and its getting pretty much obliterated.

One good thing about cancelling Brawl is that i don't think a single person entered only Brawl.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Time for a giant bracket. Play two Diddys and SEE YA NEXT YEAR.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I would really want Nintendo to buy sega or at least acquire some of their old IPs. Nintendo could revive Sonic into something with actual quality control and could do some really nice reboots for forgotten classics from the genesis era.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The amount of tears it would create would cause a global flood.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I wonder who will pay for new venue...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Quarantine? Makes it sound like a virus or infection.

The word quarantine being used during a tournament is a good sign.

Xyro77

I'm gonna push for a TO/Tournament Series rating system once this is all over.

Other than the Apex issue. We have had lots of bad TOs/events.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
GG no venue brah, CP?

Last edited:

Xyro77

How would your series rating system work?
I have no idea. It's not even in an alpha stage yet. It's just an idea.

I want to look at other rating systems like RateMyProfessor and the system used to rate hotels (forgot the name). I'll need tons of help and lots of requirements (what aspects does an event need to be considered a "good" event?") I also need to find ways to help guarantee quality reviews and not just some dude who doesn't like 3 stocks or that payout wasn't to their liking.

It's a HUGE "work in progress"

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
You guys from Sync's house, I should be able to drive. Katy wants to show up for singles and I need to be there much earlier so...

We need to leave from there at 10:50am tomorrow morning or earlier so we can be there at the start of registration. Let me know if that works.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Knife coming through boyz.

This Apex disaster looks juicy. Also cool how twitch just stepped up and took "leave it to me" literally. My day of work continues...

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I can easily name a few key criteria/questions:

-Venue rating (Good or bad? Clean and relaxing? Too small/crowded? Weird smells? Etc...)
-TO Rating (Friendly and professional? Complete jerk and shady as hell? Solved and disputes or other issues? Did he seem happy about what he was doing/overall attitude? Did he have people to help tourney if needed? Were there major problems that were not addressed/handled? Etc...)
-Ruleset Ratinf (Good or bad? Any suggestions or legitimate criticism? Unclear rules? Etc...)
-Time efficiency (Did tournament start/finish on time? Was TO focusing on tournament being done or off playing friendlies? Did people report matches on time? Were all TVs being optimally used? Etc...)
-Overall enjoyment (Did you have fun? Would you want to come back? Would you recommend to people OoC/OoS? Etc...)

The biggest problem will be is if the TOs involved will actually LISTEN to the feedback. Because if there is a legitimate issue and someone decides to completely ignore it...then what is the whole point of this besides being an enormous waste of time?

You want this to be serious, treat it is being serious on BOTH sides. None of this "I know better than you because I'm TO" attitude I've seen in the past. If it's for the community's benefit, then LISTEN to the community, within reason of course.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I can easily name a few key criteria/questions:

-Venue rating (Good or bad? Clean and relaxing? Too small/crowded? Weird smells? Etc...)
-TO Rating (Friendly and professional? Complete jerk and shady as hell? Solved and disputes or other issues? Did he seem happy about what he was doing/overall attitude? Did he have people to help tourney if needed? Were there major problems that were not addressed/handled? Etc...)
-Ruleset Ratinf (Good or bad? Any suggestions or legitimate criticism? Unclear rules? Etc...)
-Time efficiency (Did tournament start/finish on time? Was TO focusing on tournament being done or off playing friendlies? Did people report matches on time? Were all TVs being optimally used? Etc...)
-Overall enjoyment (Did you have fun? Would you want to come back? Would you recommend to people OoC/OoS? Etc...)

The biggest problem will be is if the TOs involved will actually LISTEN to the feedback. Because if there is a legitimate issue and someone decides to completely ignore it...then what is the whole point of this besides being an enormous waste of time?

You want this to be serious, treat it is being serious on BOTH sides. None of this "I know better than you because I'm TO" attitude I've seen in the past. If it's for the community's benefit, then LISTEN to the community, within reason of course.
That is the point of this system, it takes the TO's opinion out of the equation and completely leaves it up to the people. If people feel the event/TO isn't good, they should rate it accordingly and once this rating system is spread enough, people will be able to look at it and say "ok yeah, let's go to this event" or "F this!!!"

Im looking at this right now: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/TermsOfUse_us.jsp#guidelines

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Some of those guidelines are funny.

UMMMM, I HAVE PROOF IS ACTUALLY A DRUG LORD OF UGANDA

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
man why is bowser the only amiibo I can find today, where the **** are the sheiks.

Anyone think bowser is gonna be hard to find after this? cuz there's quite a few in my city apparently

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Nope, Bowser is common for sure.

Sheik is rare right now plus store exclusives. MK and Shulk will be hard to find for sure.

Sad I didn't get Lucario but lesson learned. Now the real hunt is on...

Last edited:

Xyro77

Some of those guidelines are funny.

UMMMM, I HAVE PROOF IS ACTUALLY A DRUG LORD OF UGANDA
So much of "rating" is subjective that it is hard to create objective questions/specifications that accurately gives the player good information.

For instance, I can't say "Is Joe Bob a good TO?" That is super broad and subjective, right? So I gotta go into detail with things like "was the TO on time? Did the event finish on schedule?" What if the TO did everything right but failed to pay out the players? Let's say he lost a $10 bill? Will his rating plummet? Should his score on the "did the TO fully pay out the players" be a zero solely because he lost 10$?

See what I'm saying? This system needs tons of work even though I'm just brain storming.

Top Bottom