• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Melee Thread

Jake13

Smash Lord
no one is home and you have a bed time....

unless you're parents put videocams in your crib to see if you're there i don't get it.

super ccrafty asians

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
lolololololololol another kid who is bad at melee and cant accpet that brawl has taken over.

EmperorCesar

Smash Apprentice
You don't have to be good at Melee to see that its inherently stupid to competitively play a game that was specifically designed to be non-competitive. You need common sense to understand the logic here.

Anyways, its summer time, and I will have some more time to get back into this game. Gabe, quit being busy and play me.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
I'll be in Houston this summer until next fall and will not survive without periodic smashfests! I like this Melee game so much, I was a key organizer of Endless Challenge. As far as my skill level is concerned...let's just say I want to improve heh.

Xyro77

You don't have to be good at Melee to see that its inherently stupid to competitively play a game that was specifically designed to be non-competitive. You need common sense to understand the logic here.
Just so you know, the SMASH SERIES is not a fighting game series. Its a party game that WE(the players) made competitive. Dont tell me you didnt know that.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
The first one was made to do that, but we changed it to be competitive. Sakurai tried to fix that mistake with melee, he obviously failed since melee was the most competitive game. People got wind of that and wanted to make Brawl competitive too but this time Sakurai solved everything. He literally made it so that you can't have fun if you play Brawl without items on certain stages on etc. Melee and Smash64 could be played anyway and still be fun.

There is only one way to play Brawl and have fun, and that's the party way, the way that all of the smash games were supposed to be. In his view, this is the best game created, and I agree to that. I'm not playing melee at a party lol people die too freaking quickly. I mean look at how fast Fox and Falco fall off the stage lol what normal gamer has the reaction time to survive that lol you'd have to be somewhat well versed in the game to survive.

As far as the competitiveness of the game goes though, Brawl sucks **** and y'all are trying really hard to get past that lol You can't deny that Brawl is horrible with being competitive.

MT is not calling me lol wtf *****.

Whoever that dude is that lives in Baytown, I don't even know you, why would I drive like an hour out of my way just to play some random player who probably sucks a lot. Hell you probably even tried to main Ganon or some ****.

BAM! (wut sonnnnn)

And on another note,
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=275187

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
i'm willing to throw smashfests at my new place anytime, just let me know (through text, not smashboards. we don't have internet yet). i do have 2 other roommates though and people stop by frequently but if anybody wants to get serious smash in we can just play in my room or if you don't mind socializing we can keep it in the living room. let me know guys...

von: as much as i don't like brawl, i mean i agree with allan. you can't really say brawl isn't fun as long as the people that are playing brawl are having fun. and it seems like they are, i mean geez can't we just play our own games and leave eachother alone? brawl's too slow and campy for me, that's it, i don't hate brawl or brawl players though. and yeah melee was meant to be a party game.

anyway, i'm a beast at melee and i'm accepting all challengers

Xyro77

The first one was made to do that, but we changed it to be competitive. Sakurai tried to fix that mistake with melee, he obviously failed since melee was the most competitive game.
That literally made no sense. ssb is not a fighter, its a party game that we made competive(you agreed). He didnt fix or break anything in melee. If ANYTHING, the game had more possibilities at being competitive if we decided to take it that route....and we did. The original intent of the game being a party game was still there but we choose to make it into somthing else. Like ssb64.

People got wind of that and wanted to make Brawl competitive too but this time Sakurai solved everything.
Dude, you are new to the DEAD MELEE scene. Dont act like you know stuff that you dont. Its not like we all took a vote to decide if we wanted to make this game competitive. its the natural flow of the smash series here on SWF.

He literally made it so that you can't have fun if you play Brawl without items on certain stages on etc. Melee and Smash64 could be played anyway and still be fun.
That is 110% opinion and 0% fact. You have NEVER sat down and gave brawl a legit shot(at the competitive level) so u have no clue whats fun in this game and whats not fun. Did you know that this game is picked up by MLG(why would mlg pick the non fun game)? Did you know that brawl has brought in MORE players and produced more events than melee EVER did in its SEVEN YEAR time span (research it)? Did you know MOST melee pros have moved on to brawl or quit playing?

Im not saying melee isnt fun but what i am saying is that if brawl was so not fun and so horrible and so non competitive then why are all the above things true? Please dont expect me to belive than MONEY is the reason why people play it. I guarantee you that NO ONE plays/puts time/waste life and money in a game thats not fun or competitive.

There is only one way to play Brawl and have fun, and that's the party way, the way that all of the smash games were supposed to be.
Again, more opinion.

In his view, this is the best game created, and I agree to that.
MORE opinion.

I'm not playing melee at a party lol people die too freaking quickly. I mean look at how fast Fox and Falco fall off the stage lol what normal gamer has the reaction time to survive that lol you'd have to be somewhat well versed in the game to survive.
Dear lord, this is the current gen melee player(seriously, u may be more ******** than jeremy fiefer)? I dont even think you understand what a "party game" or "party" is in a video game sense. Ever been to a smashfest where people do dumb stuff like items or FFAs or bowser challenges or just play matches on Hyrule temple or bigblue? Thats called a party(in the video game sense) and thats why melee/brawl/ssb64 are called party games. That kind of stuff just for fun and goofing around.

As far as the competitiveness of the game goes though, Brawl sucks **** and y'all are trying really hard to get past that lol You can't deny that Brawl is horrible with being competitive.
By what standards? MELEE standards?. I could go on and complain that melee sucks **** compared to SF 3rd strike or soulcalibur 2 or marvel vs capcom2 or ****ing clay fighter. But guess what, i dont. Why? Cause there is no standard. ssb64/melee/brawl are games we took and MADE into a fighting game.

Really, take a step bad and look at WHY u bash brawl. Ive seen u ***** about how slow it is. Of course(since u dont play brawl) you are wrong. Characters like diddy/pikachu/mk are just as fast as melee or even faster. Ive seen u ***** about how it doesnt have combos. Like always, your the typical uneducated melee moron who has not given brawl a REAL shot. EVERY CHARACTER in the game can combo(even the worst one, ganon) and some chars have guaranteed unstopable combos such as Sheik/peach/pikachu/diddy/snake/marth/mk/wario/gw/ICs and many more. I would even go as far as to say u think that brawl isnt deep. Well what do u call deep? There are more ATs in brawl than melee and ssb64 combined. The same things in melee like teching(ground/wall/ceiling), lag canceling, short hoping, platform canceling, power shielding, shield grabing, pivot stuff.....all of this stuff is in brawl(and more). Hell, some characters like yoshi/peach/pikachu can wavedash. 99% of the characters can wave dash if they have an item in thier hand(bananas/nades/bombs/turnips....ect.). What you fail to understand is that yes brawl is not like melee but it is JUST as competitive, just in a different sense. The same thing goes for ssb64 and melee. If you really wanna ***** about a smash game, ***** about ssb64. SHIELDING=death.

TL;DR

You cant handle the FACT that the game you came in LATE on and suck at is a sinking ship. So you bash a game that you HONESTLY dont know anything about.

MT_

Smash Ace
At first I thought Xyro was just trolling but now it sounds like he WANTED to incite another melee vs brawl debate...

While most melee players probably haven't seen the depth of brawl, it's wrong to say that they didn't give brawl a chance. I'm positive that 100% of melee players have tried brawl and found it unsatisfactory. Whether or not that decision was premature or not is a completely different story. Xyro you keep saying how melee is dead and how all the old melee players have gone to brawl or quit, but that's mainly only true in Texas. Furthermore, the national tournaments in these past years that feature both melee and brawl have had higher melee attendance for the most part, so I don't know how accurate the "brawl brought in more players/held more events than melee in all its lifespan" statement is.

If you compare the Pacific West forum and the Southwest forum you'll see that melee dominates Pacific West while brawl dominates Southwest. Every other region is fairly equal in terms of melee and brawl popularity, with brawl being just slightly more popular.

Melee is hardly dead, but it is indeed struggling in the Southwest.

You keep saying that melee players can't accept that brawl has taken over, but it just sounds like you can't accept that melee is still alive. But like Mouf said, both melee players and brawl players should just stop bashing each other altogether. It's been 2 years and we still see this kind of stuff.

Xyro77

At first I thought Xyro was just trolling but now it sounds like he WANTED to incite another melee vs brawl debate...
Incorect. This started when velox posted a thread in the MLG discussion board. its deleted or lock now but it was there.

While most melee players probably haven't seen the depth of brawl, it's wrong to say that they didn't give brawl a chance. I'm positive that 100% of melee players have tried brawl and found it unsatisfactory.
TRYING brawl and PLAYING brawl is totally different. Ive seen syba PLAY brawl( i played vs him) but he has NOT sat down, went to the XYZ(insert character) boards and researched, watched vids, trained with other brawl player. THAT is what u called TRYING. Hell, he didnt even KNOW what all brawl has to offer.

Whether or not that decision was premature or not is a completely different story
yet its the factor that determines wther or not brawl "sucks" in his opinion and since that is the current subject its a MAJOR factor.

Xyro you keep saying how melee is dead and how all the old melee players have gone to brawl or quit, but that's mainly only true in Texas. Furthermore, the national tournaments in these past years that feature both melee and brawl have had higher melee attendance for the most part, so I don't know how accurate the "brawl brought in more players/held more events than melee in all its lifespan" statement is.
The cool thing is the fact that ive been going to tournies since 2003. Ive been through the entire lifespan of melee. Ive seen the early stages of melee as well as its prime. Ive also seen its aftermath(2008-to now) and what i say is FACT. MOST melee players have went brawl or quit. The few who do both games show clearly that thier focus is on brawl, not melee.

PS: of all the events(that mean anything) that melee and brawl have been at....melee beat brawl like 3 times.......rofl

If you compare the Pacific West forum and the Southwest forum you'll see that melee dominates Pacific West while brawl dominates Southwest. Every other region is fairly equal in terms of melee and brawl popularity.
In POSTS, sure. But in actual results, no. Ive been here longer than you. I know what large amounts of melee is and its just not here anymore. Those large amounts of melee have switched to brawl.

Melee is hardly dead, but it is indeed struggling in the Southwest.
When melee has 1 or 2 big events a year and brawl has them every 3 months......yea its dead.

You keep saying that melee players can't accept that brawl has taken over, but it just sounds like you can't accept that melee is still alive.
As ive said before, ive seen melee ALIVE. What YOU call alive is actually life-support. lol

MT_

Smash Ace
So a game that has 1 or 2 big events a year featuring attendance of more than 150 players (sometimes over 300) is dead.

No, the game is alive. Brawl is more popular, but a lot of that has to deal with the fact that it's newer and more current. You always say that melee pros have moved to brawl/quit, but so much should be obvious anyways. Old melee pros have been playing for on average 4-5 years already, so of course they are going to quit eventually. They grow older and have lives to live. But you're neglecting that there are new people joining melee, and when new people do join melee you just discard them as some sort of stereotypical moronic and uneducated dimwit that bashes brawl without reason (which holds some merit, but the fact is that melee has new blood too).

There are plenty of new melee players; if that wasn't the case, then melee would indeed be dead right now. But it's alive. Again, you it's like you can't accept that melee is still an actively played game. The proof of it's activity is starting you in the face yet you deny it's existence (probably because you're sick of melee people bashing brawl, which is understandable lol).

Xyro77

But you're neglecting that there are new people joining melee, and when new people do join melee you just discard them as some sort of stereotypical moronic and uneducated dimwit that bashes brawl without reason (which holds some merit, but the fact is that melee has new blood too).
I neglect to admit new people are joining melee the same reason why i neglect that new people are joining brawl. It has no reason to be brought up. Its not like there is a cap to both games.

There are plenty of new melee players; if that wasn't the case, then melee would indeed be dead right now. But it's alive. Again, you it's like you can't accept that melee is still an actively played game. The proof of it's activity is starting you in the face yet you deny it's existence (probably because you're sick of melee people bashing brawl, which is understandable lol).
I have never said no one plays melee. i have never said no one new joins melee. i have never said the game isnt active.

So....what is your point? When some one says XYZ game is dead it doesnt mean ^

It means its a minority game going downhill. The same way ssb64 is. people still play it and events and still held and new people still come into it but the game is accept as dead.

MT_

Smash Ace
Ok I guess I don't really have anything to say because our definitions of "dead" are strikingly different lol.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Xyro, it seems like you have some personal vendetta against melee the way you go around saying "melee is dead" all the time, like you're actively trying to reduce its popularity. Perhaps you do it because you resent how many melee players bash brawl.

I think we should agree to stop seriously bashing each others' games and basically leave each other alone like what Mouf said. It's fun from time to time to make fun of the other game but we MUST respect the other game and realize that it is BOTH competitive AND fun, even if we prefer not to play it at all or believe it to be "dead."

Xyro77

I think we should agree to stop seriously bashing each others' games and basically leave each other alone like what Mouf said. It's fun from time to time to make fun of the other game but we MUST respect the other game and realize that it is BOTH competitive AND fun, even if we prefer not to play it at all or believe it to be "dead."
ok i can agree with that.

Ladybug

Smash Lord
as long as the people that are playing brawl are having fun. and it seems like they are
Like... Pokebattles at FS8?!?! :D

i don't hate brawl or brawl players though. and yeah melee was meant to be a party game.
Good! Less if you make it to Dallas this summer I might have to kick you and it would be very boring indeed!

Are you still trying to come? :)

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Yeah, I left for a few hours and then came back and then there was like 3 pages xD I have a feeling it was my fault though lol

Can you play that online?

Top Bottom