• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Melee Thread

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Who is that new n00b? He's only a smash apprentice of course Mouf is better than you.

I swear...scrubs these days...especially that last one that posted...who the heck is Dawn? He sucks so much...beating Kalo and Tarzan like they're nothing and getting four stocked by me...again!

Why does the entire Houston smash scene suck so much? I feel like I'm carrying the entire city >_< Jake has like 2lbs worth of things and so does Ronnie..

Velox

Smash Ace
Frankenstein is a song played by, uhh, I forgot their name, it's a pretty famous song though, it's my friend Cesar's (an old school magnolia smasher) favorite song of all time I think.

how come none of u faggets have commented on my sig?

dawn001

Smash Ace
Who is that new n00b? He's only a smash apprentice of course Mouf is better than you.

I swear...scrubs these days...especially that last one that posted...who the heck is Dawn? He sucks so much...beating Kalo and Tarzan like they're nothing and getting four stocked by me...again!

Why does the entire Houston smash scene suck so much? I feel like I'm carrying the entire city >_< Jake has like 2lbs worth of things and so does Ronnie..
lol keep talking your trash...sybatrash. LOL!!!!

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings

Maybe we suck because every freaking city in texas is like 5 hours away and we spent too much time driving and not enough playing XD. Cmon Syba you have to step up to the plate and represent Texas lolz. Anyways syba you going to TGM's tourney? ug i need to get into more tourneys =0.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
TGM's tourney? The next Hobo? I will probably....if I'm not busy...I think I am that week actually...

And I can't represent TX since I don't travel lol we need to raise someone who can travel and make them good!

Who wants to be this dog?^^

And that's no excuse...I was talking to other smashers and they live like 3 hours away from each other in those smaller states like Tenn and Ms and they have a smashfest/biweekly every 2 weeks. There are only like 13 players that show up too!

We have that many in the city and the most one of us lives is 1 hour and 45 mins and that is Gabe in Magnolia...and that time was given from my location....so it's even less time for those smashers who live closer to him than I do!

But yeah dude you should go lol I was expecting you to be at the last tournament...You disappointed me....

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Hey....do I even have to remind you who did most of the killing? You give me stocks and I use them the best way I possibly can =P you're just my stock tank that's all your good for Dawn...I'm sorry but I was obviously carrying our team to victory with those 5-7 consistent kills...I mean seriously I averaged like 6 kills a match not even joking xD

But dude...we wrecked in teams lol Team with me next tournament lol there is no team in Houston that can beat us. I mean what? Jake James and Ronnie are the only people we have to worry about and one of them is going to end up getting paired with some crappy player so we really only need to worry about whoever is paired with Ronnie. If it's Jake and James we have that one lol they're both worse than me anyway

Velox

Smash Ace
The Houston smash scene is not as desperate as you might think Syba, it's always been a problem for us as long as I've been in the smash community here, but it's actually not so bad these days by comparison.. We have our players just like every other region, honestly, Ronnie and RoyR ****, Sethlon plays Roy, and Gabe/Jake/Mouf are respectable. And we have new players all the time which is an important element, any one of them could become really good and make the difference, you never know. I think it's a healthy enough environment. Could certainly be better though, it's not below average though I think..

plus TGM/Sethlon/Gabe's involvement has made the difference here for a long time, it's just now-n-days (and unfortunately it really has always been this way) involvement in melee by the most skilled players in Houston is shaky at best.. so I guess Houston does have a problem..

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
okay syba i was just trying to ignore your trash talk but it's not gettin any better.

this is, in my opinion, the top 5 in houston right now.

1. ronnie
2. jake
3. mouf
4. paul
5. gabe/oscar/syba/timerbomb

syba you got plenty of room for improvement but all this **** talk has to stop

FACTS:
me and ronnie have proven that we can easily beat any team in houston
me and jake would most likely beat any team in houston
you do poorly in tournament
you don't money match
you base all of your comparisons to other players off of friendlies alone

for anybody who's wondering, me and von did our 5/9 match and sadly i lost, ending it in an sd by me (trying to dair him off the side of green greens after a long campy match by von where he literally stayed in one place and shot lasers, hiding behind the destructible blocks). afterwards, due to the extreme gayness of the set, i asked von if he wanted to make a deal; i get one more chance, and if i win, we re-do the set, but in front of a lot of people and while it's being recorded.

von accepted, and i beat em (which included me winning a fox ditto on his stage pick and me jv 4 stocking him with peach and ****** his marth harshly as donkey kong)

so yeah, i am just an all around better player than you. i do better in tournament, i have better counterpicks, i can use more characters, i play smarter, there's really no argument here. you're more technical, and you're gimpy as **** which leads to a few lucky wins, congrats

this is what real trash talk looks like son. somebody schedule a smashfest sometime after this week so i can silence this scrub once and for all

Sybawave

Smash Ace
you do poorly in tournament
you don't money match
Those are true lol I won't lie about that it's freakin' obvious. I get nervous about it. Honestly, I don't care that much about the money and I get really nervous in those. I feel like people just aren't playing to see who is better and that all they are playing for is the money. It makes the game seem empty. And all tournament matches prove is who can play better with pressure.

you base all of your comparisons to other players off of friendlies alone
You told me to always play how I would play in tournament. I mean unless ******** crap really happens I literally play every match like I mean it. And why wouldn't that prove who is better? If someone always loses then doesn't that mean they aren't as good as the other person? Is someone really just going to play every friendly doing stupid crap? I mean how else are you going to base someone's skill? We all know I won't play at my best in tournament. And if you just can't find motivation or something why don't you give yourself some motivation by putting up money? Or do you only care about money? That seems like the only way we can figure out who the better player is on equal terms. I might as well just quit melee now. All you all can do is say "Oh if you're so good then MM me." If y'all don't want to play just for pure competition or mainly that and care about the money more then I'm just wasting my time here. That's the only reason I got into this game. Just for fun and friendly competition. Not money. Betting on who is going to win is just gay.

Next time just do whatever it takes for you to get into an optimum playing condition. I'll do the same. Don't John about it and make it look like I suck that much even though you said you would play your hardest.

By putting pressure on you and by letting me play how I play best. Just for competition.

for anybody who's wondering, me and von did our 5/9 match and sadly i lost,
Yeah you lost 5/2. The first match and then again on Brinstar with Peach vs my Fox and then I counterpicked Green Greens.

trying to dair him off the side
You did that Idk how many times but it was definitely a lot that day...so it happening then wasn't a far stretch. You did it a lot before and after the set too. At least once on YS and then a few times on PKSTD and FoD.

he literally stayed in one place and shot lasers, hiding behind the destructible blocks
You're such a hypocrite. If you're going to get mad at me then why tell me to do it? Why not get mad at Jake when he beats you too? You told me that Jake camps a lot and that you have trouble with it. And on top of that I said wow that's a really gay way to play and then you said whatever it takes to win.

due to the extreme gayness of the set
You can't just admit that I beat you 5/2 in a fair set? You even suggested getting rid of Dave's Rule. I wanted to keep it in so that I didn't have to go to your CPs more than once. But look what happened...I CP'd Green Greens 2nd match and then I did it again last match. Your own freakin' idea turned on you. How is that gay? You could at least admit that you made a bad choice and you lost a match because of it. And plus the night before you said you would play at 100% and I of course said that I would too.

i asked von if he wanted to make a deal; i get one more chance, and if i win, we re-do the set, but in front of a lot of people and while it's being recorded.
Care to tell them what I got if I had won? Nothing...I beat you in the Pride Match and then insulted me asking or a rematch. Why is losing to me so hard to admit? How am I even supposed to try my hardest when

A. You insult me with a rematch because you're too good to lose to me 5/2.
B. I have nothing to fight for. I wouldn't receive anything. The thing that I wanted was what I got if I ended up losing the set...(See C)
C. Of course I wanted to do it again in front of a group of people. I mean you could've just asked me for rematch the next time we were in that situation.

von accepted, and i beat em (which included me winning a fox ditto on his stage pick and me jv 4 stocking him with peach and ****** his marth harshly as donkey kong)
I won 3 times in a row on your counterpicks...Mute City Final D (although we already played there the first match) and Kirby64.

The second set was 5/3
PKSTD
(Peach Fox) Him Close Match just needed a Utilt at least....my last stock got stage gayed by the Fire Stadium's Burning Tree.
???
(??? ???) Him JV 4 stocked
RC
(Falco Fox) Me
MC
(Dk Marth) Him This one hurt <_<
Corneria
(Falco Fox) Him This one started horribly...I fell off the stage or something during the beginning and as I was recovering MotherFox shot me <_< 500% lol
FoD
(Falco Fox) Me 3 stock'd
PokeFloats
(Dk Fox) Me He SD'd his last kind of fresh stock
Brinstar
(Peach Sheik) Him I got him down to his last stock and a kill % If I got a Usmash

The first set was 5/2
FD
(Peach Fox) Him
GG
(Fox Fox) Me
MC
(Peach Fox) Me
DL
(Peach Fox) Me
FD
(Falco Fox) Me
Brinstar
(Peach Fox) Him
GG
(Falco Fox) Me

The only place I counterpicked was Green Greens in this set. And I don't really remember the second set that much because...I didn't really care for it that much...I do admit what he said though about he losses I took in that second set.

i can use more characters
I use just as many as Ken did lol the exact two actually...I'm not really sure what that has to do with who the better player is...

And if you really want to. We can just add the match Wins/Loses to see who came out on top.

5 wins 2 wins
3 wins 5 wins
8 - 7

leads to a few lucky wins
Four consecutive lucky wins to be exact...

And despite how much you love to troll people you yourself get affected by my trolling? Or are you still angry because you lost that set?

Next smashfest is scheduled for this weekend at UH. And then after that Idk

Sybawave

Smash Ace
xD why thank you Paul

Btw I'm going to have to ask you for a Pride Match as well lol Why are we calling it Pride Matches? Is that really the right term?

Why not like....I can't think of anything actually...

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
not gonna lie, i have no intention of reading all that lol, condense that ****

it's supposed to be called a no johns match, you'll get yours son

Sybawave

Smash Ace
xD NOOOO!!! It was such an epic long post >_< It's actually not as much since most of it it just double spaced and a lot of responses to certain quotes...

Anyway...UH this weekend or you could throw one the weekend after that =P NO WAIT! I have to go do something that weekend >_< throw one in 2 more weeks lol I can make that. Or you can just throw it some time during the week though I doubt many of the players would make it to that...hell they wouldn't make it during the weekend who am I kidding...the only person we need to be there is really Paul so that he can record it lol I'm sorry Paul....we're using you =P

Sybawave

Smash Ace
<_< Well you were one of the next ones on the list...I mean unless I ran into Gabe before I ran into you lol

And that would also be why I sent you that text...

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
actually on second thought i'd say paul/gabe tied and i forgot dawn for 5th

but have you played paul lately? *****'z a beast

Sybawave

Smash Ace
<_< Paul we need to settle this lol apparently I need to go around Houston again....

You also have to remember the triangle effect that could possibly be there.

We need to create a ranking system some how.

So far the players I know I am better than are Dawn and his crew, Paul, Oscar, and anyone else who isn't on that list.

The ones that are as good as me are James Tarzan Timerbomb (maybe) Jake (maybe)

The ones that I know are currently better than me are Ronnie Jake (maybe) Timerbomb (maybe) Gabe (maybe)

The untested ones are Timerbomb and Jake. I'm not sure how much better/worse I am. I don't play them enough to know lol and I've only played TB once lol when were both brand new and it was like 2 matches xD 1-1 iirc. And the only reason I remember that so well was because it was my second smashfest <_< and we had to play outside that day it was so freaking cold >_< dam you Axxo

And those rankings are just based off how I play that person. Not an overall city ranking. And once more...this is based off matches without pressure on them...

Gabe has been getting significantly worse...that or I'm getting that much better...Idk to be honest. He always Johns about not playing melee that much and I do seem to be catching up to him. He is just awkward to play against at first. He doesn't play like anyone else in Houston lol that's probably the reason I lose to him in tournament so much. I don't have enough time to get into a Gabe fighting style...although I do have new theories on how to do it that I have yet to test

Overall city wide I think it would have to be

Ronnie
Jake
James/Gabe
Tarzan/Timerbomb
Me/Oscar
Paul/Dawn

Anyone I am missing?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Come on Syba, the only way you beat me depends on the matchup. Being generous, I'd say we are closer to even. Here's the breakdown:

You - Me
Fox >< Ganon (This one varies a lot)
Falco = Ganon
Fox = Fox when I play as campy as you
Falco > Falco (I can't argue this one, you proved it)

Marth < Falcon
Falcon < Marth
Marth >< Ganon (this one seems to vary alot)

Sometimes you get your winning streaks, but I also get mine so don't forget.
Get you ace ova here so we can settle this! Haha!

Sybawave

Smash Ace
<_< lol pride match it is xD or are we calling them No Johns matches now?

And I don't remember you ever beating my Fox that badly with your Fox

And I was talking about our main characters lol I mean I know this will sound a lot like a john and it probably is but when someone doesn't pick their main character I tend to not play as hard as I normally would. James picks all those characters and he uses them in tournament and I fight them with all my skill because I know I could see them again in tournament. When people pick characters I won't see in tournament I usually just kind of play for fun.

I mean if I tried my hardest against your characters that you are just picking up and practicing then it would demoralize you from picking that character up. I do this with all of my friends. That quiet asian guy. When he picks Fox Marth Falcon I just mess around and stuff try new things. See if they work. But when he chooses Falco I try my hardest. I remember when he tried to play Fox and I used Marth it was nothing but continuous four stocks and then he never picked Fox up again because he didn't think he was good with him. But like if I just play then he could try the characters out. And then possibly use them in our Pride Matches. When he finally got the guts to use his Fox in a Pride Match I took it seriously. He still lost but now I don't treat his Fox like it sucks or anything. I'm not saying that yours aren't good Paul. It's just I don't get the same motivation fighting them that I do your Ganon.
If you want to have a match to prove me wrong about how I should view your other characters then sure let's do it!

And those ranking things are not always going to be right lol of course you have your winning streaks against me. I am not saying you are like that much worse than me I just think that I am better enough to be a step up. It's open for debate though =P so let's settle it lol

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
a ranking system...for houston melee? well that's just plum ********, and pointless

okay i'm done talkin about this, it's gettin dumb, i'll just beat you next time we play end of discussion

Top Bottom