• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hosting a Brawl+ tournament

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Im hosting a brawl+ tournament on the 30th and I was wondering if there are any special rules anyone would recommend for me. Right now what I'm thinking is this:

Version 4.0
* Items off.
* Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
* Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
* Controller Mods, Glitches, and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned
* For doubles: Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.
* The First stage will be selected using stage striking
* The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
* No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
* Each person (or team) may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set AFTER THE FIRST MATCH HAS BEEN PLAYED, after characters have been chosen but before the random stage has been picked.

Neutral:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Luigi's Mansion (Deadlands)
Warioware (Frozen)
Pokemon Stadium 2 (Frozen)

Couterpicks:
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Delfino
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Ah. Thought he meant the tactic as a whole was banned. Which would have been a "what the bloody blooming sweet jesus god-almighty flaming chestnut hell" moment.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
i would suggest using the most recent version if possible, just so that the programmers can get feedback from it. there should be an updated version from 2morrow, just get it from here (incase u didnt know):

http://web.me.com/shane_mulligan/Brawl+_Nightly_Builds/Welcome.html

sorry i cant attend, wrong country and all that haha

gl with this, jealous tbh, wish they had brawl+ tourneys in UK :(
My issue with this is that nobody can practice much, also its hard to get the latest version on all the setups. Honestly I want to practice and I don't want to end up have my shine changed and half my combos interrupted, or my up-special magically become my best move (not that i dislike these changes, im just saying big things have happened over the past month or two.)

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
My issue with this is that nobody can practice much, also its hard to get the latest version on all the setups. Honestly I want to practice and I don't want to end up have my shine changed and half my combos interrupted, or my up-special magically become my best move (not that i dislike these changes, im just saying big things have happened over the past month or two.)
Pick a nightly build 2 weeks before tourney, and have everyone use that.

There you go. 2 weeks is more than enough time to get used to a set.

Hell, 1 week is. :3

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Also regarding having inconsistent sets...

just use the same SD to load the codes. After they're loaded, you can yank the SD out. This also prevents more tech-savvy people from making BS codesets to gain an advantage too. You only use your codeset of choice.

timothyung

Smash Ace
lol you can wall-bomb and use rising pound to stall in Brawl? They only exist in melee. And do you mean banning every glitch? You can't DACUS and wavebound? You'd better say clearly what glitches are banned.
And I suggest you use the newest nightly build. It isn't that much different from the previous nightly build, but it fixed a whole bunch of things. And I think most of us are using the nightly build anyway.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
lol you can wall-bomb and use rising pound to stall in Brawl? They only exist in melee. And do you mean banning every glitch? You can't DACUS and wavebound? You'd better say clearly what glitches are banned.
And I suggest you use the newest nightly build. It isn't that much different from the previous nightly build, but it fixed a whole bunch of things. And I think most of us are using the nightly build anyway.
Holy Hell that stuff is copy pasted from some other hosts thread, who probably grabbed it from the old SBR ruleset, go whine to them. I am glad that 'most of you' are keeping very up to date but I'm catering to NC smashers who update once or twice a month, if that.

I dont have to ask for you guys opinions about what rulesets to use, I could be running melee instead is it too much to ask for a little respect? I'm giving the publicity that the community needs, exposing new people. It doesn't do you any good to randomly insult me.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
I honestly would advise against using a nightly set simply because of how experimental it is. Although other TOs have had no problems with them, using 4.0 imo would be helpful for any newcomers that come and want to get the set they played rather than download a new nightly and then go wtf when it doesn't match what they played at the tournament.

D

Deleted member

4.0 is extremely outdated.

your best shot would be to go with the BtL set, even though it had some minor issues. it is a set that is not too outdated yet well distributed due to the tourny it was used in.

D

Deleted member

yeah that might be ok, but that set is quiet new, though I would consider 8 days plenty to get used to the set.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Still better than having MetaSquirtle stomp over the competition and have people compla...er...give "feedback" on things we already know about and for the most part, fixed.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
I just had a tournament yesterday while running the april 3rd 4.0 release, and I'm sort of hesitant to make a thread about suggestions we have, considering that most of it might have been fixed with the nightly builds.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I just had a tournament yesterday while running the april 3rd 4.0 release, and I'm sort of hesitant to make a thread about suggestions we have, considering that most of it might have been fixed with the nightly builds.

Which is why you go here...B+ and check the changelist. LOL.

Also, use 5-22.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I would use 5/22. Most of the changes were made as a result of Btl. I don't want to see another Btl, cause we wouldn't learn much from it. Also Marth, Squirtle, and Fox got some nerfs so I want to see how that pans out.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Yeah, 5/22 is best, considering that they're going to drop nightly releases for weekly releases. It gives plenty of time for practice.

That said, do you have a list of people who are going to go?

Top Bottom