• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hori Mini Pad

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
live? how? why?

it's my future basically, i've studied japanese language for 5 years and i'm graduating with the bachelor's degree of an Asian/Asian-American Studies major in May. I'm gonna spend the next two years teaching english in japan/playing smash on japanese servers ^-^

Welcome to Economics 101 :laugh:
the economic aspects make total sense to me.....they just depress me at the same time

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
it's my future basically, i've studied japanese language for 5 years and i'm graduating with the bachelor's degree of an Asian/Asian-American Studies major in May. I gonna spend the next two years teaching english in japan/playing smash on japanese servers ^-^
oh, do you think you can get on AIM? I want to talk more about that sort of stuff with you if it's okay :embarrass

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I'll pass on this Ebay guy...he must be laughing at us right now while holding his sides.

Like hamburger said you can probably buy these damn things at 1/4 of the cost this guys trying to put up.

The controller looks a little small to me too, can anyone give me an opinion about how comfortable it is?

Battlecow

Play to Win
It's small. That's why it's a hori mini pad, not a hori maxi pad.

And the ebay dude is charging those prices because he can, because no one else has that **** to sell. Supply and demand.

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
@surri - Some people like it better because it is smaller, some say it feels cramped.

If you have big hands, DO NOT GET A HORI!

Also, strange that this came up (the adapter for the hori), because I had just learned about that guy/website today before I came here.

dandan

Smash Lord
it was an ok mess up, i knew what you meant, just brought a smile to my face.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Hori Pad Mini?

I find this design highly attractive, both as a 64 player and a Melee player.
Does anyone here use this, and can confirm how responsive and accurate it is compared to a normal n64 controller? I am used to playing Melee because I often go to tournaments for that, but when I play 64 on project64k, I use the original controller.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Use the search button. There's a huge thread somewhere with people's opinions on the Hori Mini pad, and I think it was bumped recently because someone found an adapter that works with it online.

Also I know that Hamburglar uses one so you could ask him too.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
ballin beat me to it.

i have three of these controllers. they have a few benefits including the size which feels more comfortable in my hands (although i have heard it is awkward for people with larger hands.) the joystick is more sensitive than a 1st party n64 system which is beneficial for DI but can also make it more difficult to perform platform drop u-airs or ff airs (in general, quick, technical combos are harder with the hori but i've gotten a lot better with timing by practicing more technical combos using it.) the 2 z buttons definitely come in handy when you get used to using them for different combos. the joysticks also last much longer. ive only used 1 regularly out of the 3 i have for the last 2 years and the joystick is still great.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
ballin beat me to it.

i have three of these controllers. they have a few benefits including the size which feels more comfortable in my hands (although i have heard it is awkward for people with larger hands.) the joystick is more sensitive than a 1st party n64 system which is beneficial for DI but can also make it more difficult to perform platform drop u-airs or ff airs (in general, quick, technical combos are harder with the hori but i've gotten a lot better with timing by practicing more technical combos using it.) the 2 z buttons definitely come in handy when you get used to using them for different combos. the joysticks also last much longer. ive only used 1 regularly out of the 3 i have for the last 2 years and the joystick is still great.
It seems to be the closest to the original one...
wich joystick do you use it with for online/pc??

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
a lot of people think it is better. it is the only 3rd party controller to be officially licensed by nintendo. i haven't found an adapter that works with the hori pad yet (hopefully the one posted above works. if it does i might get it) right now i only use it on the console and use a 1st party controller for online.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Every time I play on kaillera with my gamecube controller, the more I am attracted to the hori pad. With the z buttons where they are, and the analog stick, playing on the n64 console would be so much fun.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
Every time I play on kaillera with my gamecube controller, the more I am attracted to the hori pad. With the z buttons where they are, and the analog stick, playing on the n64 console would be so much fun.
The stick on the hori pad is really quite different from the one on the game cube controller (taller, greater range of motion, and doesn't feel as tight). If that's what you are looking for you might be disappointed IMO. However, the hori pad is a great controller and if you have the money to spend on one i would recommend it.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Every time I transition back from Melee to 64 (especially at Apex when I tried a one of these) I have the huge urge to lightshield and airdodge.

@_@

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
I personally don't recommend for a SSB64 player to play melee.
It feels really awkward when you switch from one to the other. :S

firo

Smash Ace
So the adapter that I ordered on the 5th shipped today. Seems like he had to make another circuit or wait for a part or something. Either way, when it comes I'll try and out and post my thoughts.

On another note, anyone seen these before?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-64-Pad...Video_Games&hash=item19bfd7a695#ht_3813wt_905

Seems like another hori controller that's got the certification/setup as the original (and an original stick?)

Gowa

Smash Apprentice
is there a tutorial on how to put your gamecube controller's joystick in your n64 controller? i remember seeing this on some website

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
So the adapter that I ordered on the 5th shipped today. Seems like he had to make another circuit or wait for a part or something. Either way, when it comes I'll try and out and post my thoughts.

On another note, anyone seen these before?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-64-Pad...Video_Games&hash=item19bfd7a695#ht_3813wt_905

Seems like another hori controller that's got the certification/setup as the original (and an original stick?)
Those ones have a great stick, but terrible buttons. for 1, the A and the B don't line up with the C-stick. the Z feels funny, and the fact that there are numbens for grips feels too strange. sry, not a good buy.

firo

Smash Ace
The adapter is buggy, disregard what I said here -

Well the adapter came in today, and IT WORKS! The adapter is full-ranged and feels much like my adaptoid. All the buttons and stick work properly, and so does the hori pad as long as you have an original controller to calibrate it in the control pad (important to note). I have yet to try the gamecube portion of the adapter. The circuitry kinda bulky and is just enclosed by a thin rubber between the two wires, which does make me a little concerned about traveling with it, but right now I am very happy! A great buy for hori owners.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Well the adapter came in today, and IT WORKS! The adapter is full-ranged and feels much like my adaptoid. All the buttons and stick work properly, and so does the hori pad as long as you have an original controller to calibrate it in the control pad (important to note). I have yet to try the gamecube portion of the adapter. The circuitry kinda bulky and is just enclosed by a thin rubber between the two wires, which does make me a little concerned about traveling with it, but right now I am very happy! A great buy for hori owners.
LYK OMG. I might be forced to dish out ~100$ for the Hori Mini Pad + the adapter.

firo

Smash Ace
Actually hold on - I'm having some slight issues with it (bringing the stick to the corner causes it to spaz out just a little bit). I'm going to experiment a bit more.

The stick does seem to be malfunctioning on this adapter, but to a much lesser degree than other adapters making it possibly playable. The pad is fine most of the time but sometimes doesn't do what you want. Tap jumping has also become unreliable. I'm going to email the guy to see what he recommends.

On the other hand, I must say that the gamecube portion of this adapter works great. I think it is the only adapter to support the Wavebird, and it works very well with it.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
Actually hold on - I'm having some slight issues with it (bringing the stick to the corner causes it to spaz out just a little bit). I'm going to experiment a bit more.

The stick does seem to be malfunctioning on this adapter, but to a much lesser degree than other adapters making it possibly playable. The pad is fine most of the time but sometimes doesn't do what you want. Tap jumping has also become unreliable. I'm going to email the guy to see what he recommends.
I got my adapter a couple of days ago and it worked, but i also had the stick centering issue. I also had a problem with is stick hoping when i did not want it to. I would look more into it right now but i don't have the time due to a family emergency. I'm eager to see your results.

LLDL

Smash Hero
So yeah I just purchased my Hori Pad Mini.... $72.88, the lowest price as of now on ebay. This better be worth it >:c ...................:D

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
I wonder if you earn your own money... :p joke!
I really hope it's worthy, and when you use it, le us know what you think... I'd like to hear the opinion of many ppl as posiblo about this.

Top Bottom