• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hori Mini Pad

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Noob question :

How would you use this controller on an american version n64?

Is there a way or do you HAVE to get a japanese n64? I ask because of this :

This item is USED BUT GOOD CONDITION.

SORRY NO BOX.

This item is JAPANESE VERSION!

Please make sure you have the machine that can play this item before bidding.

ShellFall

Smash Cadet
Noob question :

How would you use this controller on an american version n64?

Is there a way or do you HAVE to get a japanese n64? I ask because of this :
no it works on American version systems. i play it both on my system and Sharksquail's system.

should work perfectly. No Problems There!

sharksquail

Smash Ace
just got my hori pad in the mail this morning. it's F-ing awesome i'd played with shellfalls before and now i finally have my own.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
These things look pretty sweet. There are currently two available on eBay, but they are both $50. I am seriously considering getting one of these.

oh_dr_where_art_thou

Smash Rookie
Doh! Thanks, nixxxon.
Sadly, they really don't seem to be selling them any more.

I'll be looking out for them, though.
And as I said, an alternative would be nice as well;
something similar... I haven't found anything yet.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
at first, i dismissed this thread becasue i didn't believe i played smash enough for my control stick to get worn out, but after witnessing the rapage of one of my new controllers' sticks, i am seriously considering buying one of these. any help on where to find them besides the aforementioned locations?

sharksquail

Smash Ace
Yea i got mine a while ago and my stick hasn't worn out at all. The one thing i don't like about it is that there is no adapter for playing online to my knowledge, but the ps2 controller is similar in design so it's not that big of a deal. You should contact Toshi-san at Dream Stars Japan which is mentioned towards the beginning of the thread. It might take a while, but he will probably find one.

Dan$inyi

Smash Apprentice
So if your using your left thumb for the analog stick and right hand for a,b and the c buttons..where is the z button located?

L1ON

Smash Apprentice
So if your using your left thumb for the analog stick and right hand for a,b and the c buttons..where is the z button located?
in your arse and I'm about to cancel it... RAWR L1ON IS TEH WINRAR...

okay but seriously I believe it's like a second l button...that's where they've hidden z

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
Those are way overpriced. you should be able to bet then for $35 to $40 shipped.
when did you get yours? i've been looking constantly for a few months and ended up purchasing a few but i never saw prices like 40$ I usually saw them for 60$ including shipping. then again, this is only within the last 5 months

True Romance

Smash Ace
Contemplating acquiring one of these, does ANYONE know if there's PC adapters in existence that are compatible with the Hori pads?

killa k

Smash Ace
I should buy one of these someday, they look really cool. It may take some effort getting used to them though.

@hamburglar

Not even the adaptoid?

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
^ nope. i thought it would too but i've tried it with most adapters and firo said he's tried it with most including the adaptoid and none of them have worked

sharksquail

Smash Ace
when did you get yours? i've been looking constantly for a few months and ended up purchasing a few but i never saw prices like 40$ I usually saw them for 60$ including shipping. then again, this is only within the last 5 months
I got mine at least 6 months ago (could have been longer) from Dream Stars Japan. It probably took him two months or so.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
^ nope. i thought it would too but i've tried it with most adapters and firo said he's tried it with most including the adaptoid and none of them have worked

I finally got mine! Thanks for the link =)

But there SHOULD be some kind of adapter that works or "kinda" works with it... its so odd...

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
That's pretty odd... it works on the console but can't be used with the PC adapter?

Do only the Nintendo brand N64 controllers work with the adapter? I have a SuperPad 64, a 3rd party N64 controller.. anyone know if these work with the adapter?

malva00

Smash Master
my sharkpad pro 64 TWO works with the adaptoid

I used to use the rapidfire function for this kid's game

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
I finally got mine! Thanks for the link =)

But there SHOULD be some kind of adapter that works or "kinda" works with it... its so odd...
no prob!

thats what i thought too. my mayflash aapter recognizes all the buttons (even both z buttons) but the joystick goes haywire. i've messed with calibrating deadzone sensitivity and everything else i could think of. no luck. firo said he had the same luck too

firo

Smash Ace
I have tried mercifully to get this thing working but it just doesn't want to cooperate. The mayflash adapter actually handles it the best out of anything, recognizing the buttons properly (some buttons show up as pressed on the adaptoid and the control stick is pretty much completely random).
I have tried this with the adaptoid, mayflash dual adapter, and a working n64/ps2 adapter. I'm not aware of any others.

The fact that it works on console seems to me that it can be just a driver issue, but I'm not technical enough with that stuff to figure out what the exact problem is. It seems that all the adapters lack some form of functionality that allows different style controllers to work on the console.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
so, i recently got my third hori mini pad and its a bit different than the other two if you can believe that...

i have 2 black ones and i just got a transparent red one with a transparent white back. I didn't believe it at first but now i'm positive, when i press in the control stick of the red/white one, it clicks in and out exactly the same as the stick on a 360 controller. At first i thought the joystick was coming in and out of place or something when i pressed it down but after playing with it, it feels too uniform and routine to not be an intentional feature. I tried to see if it did anything in a game but it doesn't. I wonder if they put this feature in later in hopes that it might be used in the future but idk. the sticks on my 2 black hori mini pads don't move at all. weird huh?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Sure the problem lies on the stick. It works differently than the original one so the driver doesnt handle it properly.
Have you guys tried to use the drivers of the Gamecube adapter instead? As it uses the same stick, (isnt it actually the same?) it may probably do something, lol.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
It would have to be an issue with the driver.. I too am not technical savvy enough to figure how to get it to work. I can tell you that the N64 original controllers use a unique type of joystick function. I've done a lot of searching around on a modding forum, and have found out that they have trouble modding gamecube joysticks into original N64 controllers, but with 3rd party controllers, such as the SuperPad 64, all they have to do is re-wire the gamecube stick onto it, replacing the old one. The 3rd party N64 controllers and gamecube controllers use what are called "pots" on both the x and y axes to transfer the information to main board of the controller. I'm not sure if a modded N64 controller with a gamecube stick in it will work with the adapter, or if it'll have the same issues as the hori mini.

I'm a noob at modding, but I decided I'd give this a try because while it's awesome to use N64 controllers to play with, the analog sticks are annoying in that they wear out and aren't necessarily the most comfortable to play with. I'm starting to do some work on an old super pad 64 of mine, which the joystick broke on anyway. I'm going to buy a used gamecube controller and see if I can rewire it to work inside the superpad. I already cut out the center part of the octagonal shape piece of plastic where the joystick sits in and krazy glued it to the front casing of the controller... I'll keep you guys updated on progress if you're interested. This is pretty interesting stuff.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to buy a used gamecube controller and see if I can rewire it to work inside the superpad.

i think i saw this done on a modding forum once an few years back. apparently the modder said it was pretty easy compared to an actual 1st party controller, like you said. I'm thinking about buying a superpad64 or makopad just so i can try this.

EDIT:
Have you guys tried to use the drivers of the Gamecube adapter instead? As it uses the same stick, (isnt it actually the same?) it may probably do something, lol.

no but i'm willing to try this. it sounds like a long shot but yea, you're right, the stick is the same so maybe it'll work. i'll let you know if i figure anything out.

firo

Smash Ace
it clicks in and out exactly the same as the stick on a 360 controller.
My hori pad actually does this too, I guess this is not the norm.

The control stick on the pad, although it looks similar to the gamecube one, is actually quite different. The plastic stick used for the hori pad is much lighter and is easier to twirl around.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
My hori pad actually does this too, I guess this is not the norm.

The control stick on the pad, although it looks similar to the gamecube one, is actually quite different. The plastic stick used for the hori pad is much lighter and is easier to twirl around.
glad to hear i'm not insane. :laugh: yeah i noticed it seemed a bit lighter to the touch than a gamecube stick but i just assumed it was due to how it was mounted on or something. i wish i could program that psuedo button to actually do something

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
that's so ridiculous. its turning out to be the exact same as the adaptoid. people realize they are in short supply and inflate the price at an idiotic rate. Adaptoids now show up on ebay for Buy It Now around 120$ It's a ****ing joke.

i can't wait til i'm living in japan in 5 months and i can buy them for the 25$ i know they sell them for at used video game markets.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
that's so ridiculous. its turning out to be the exact same as the adaptoid. people realize they are in short supply and inflate the price at an idiotic rate. Adaptoids now show up on ebay for Buy It Now around 120$ It's a ****ing joke.

i can't wait til i'm living in japan in 5 months and i can buy them for the 25$ i know they sell them for at used video game markets.
Welcome to Economics 101 :laugh:

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman

live? how? why?

Top Bottom