• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hopes for the next Mario Kart (discussion)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Was pretty cool, but I rather have the character.
IMG_2545.jpeg

Though now that I mention karts, here’s a list of them that I’d like to see back, including those from Tour:
  1. Bloom Coach
  2. Turbo Yoshi
  3. Turbo Birdo
  4. Goo Goo Buggy
  5. Para-Wing
  6. Barrel Train
  7. Koopa King
  8. Bullet Blaster
  9. Wario Car
  10. Piranha Pipes
  11. Parade Kart
  12. Royale
  13. Egg 1
  14. Mushmellow
  15. Rambi Rider
  16. Dragonfly
  17. Dry Bomber
  18. Gold Mantis
  19. Cheep Charger
  20. Super Blooper
  21. Piranha Prowler
  22. Bumble V
  23. Bruiser
  24. Soda Jet
  25. Tiny Tug
  26. Cact-X
  27. Cloud 9
  28. Koopa Clown
  29. Landship
  30. Biddybuggy
  31. Prancer
  32. Sneeker
  33. Kiddie Kart
  34. Tea Coupe
  35. Quickshaw
  36. Ghost Ride
  37. Macharon
  38. Carrot Kart
  39. Double-Decker
  40. Jingle Bells
  41. Apple Kart
  42. Comet Tail
  43. Bright Bunny
  44. Dozer Dasher
  45. Clanky Kart
  46. Surf Sailer
  47. Pumpkin Kart
  48. Fast Frank
  49. Jet Cruiser
  50. Paintster
  51. Pinch Hitter
  52. B Dasher Mk. 2
  53. Roaring Racer
  54. Jukebox Buggy
  55. Cupid's Arrow
  56. Prop Kart
  57. Zoom Broom
  58. Warrior Wagon
  59. Flower Kart
  60. Capsule Kart
  61. Coconut 1
  62. Tuk-Tuk Kart
  63. Tropical Truck
  64. Watermelon Kart
  65. Ice Cream Minibus
  66. Shielded Speedster
  67. Swift Talon
  68. Blooper Shuttle
  69. Lunar Cruiser
  70. Pineapple 1
  71. Hot Pot Hot Rod
  72. Taiko Drum Dasher
  73. Jumbo Jetter
  74. Yeehaw Wagon
  75. Sub Scooter
  76. Soft Swerve
  77. Monarch Kart
  78. Snow Skimmer
  79. Pirate Sushi Racer
  80. Penguin Slider
  81. Hop Rod
  82. Vampire Flyer
  83. Crawly Kart
  84. Combo Cruiser
  85. Dry Bones Dasher
  86. Chain Chomp Chariot
  87. Fish Bone Ferry

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
View attachment 392705

Though now that I mention karts, here’s a list of them that I’d like to see back, including those from Tour:
  1. Bloom Coach
  2. Turbo Yoshi
  3. Turbo Birdo
  4. Goo Goo Buggy
  5. Para-Wing
  6. Barrel Train
  7. Koopa King
  8. Bullet Blaster
  9. Wario Car
  10. Piranha Pipes
  11. Parade Kart
  12. Royale
  13. Egg 1
  14. Mushmellow
  15. Rambi Rider
  16. Dragonfly
  17. Dry Bomber
  18. Gold Mantis
  19. Cheep Charger
  20. Super Blooper
  21. Piranha Prowler
  22. Bumble V
  23. Bruiser
  24. Soda Jet
  25. Tiny Tug
  26. Cact-X
  27. Cloud 9
  28. Koopa Clown
  29. Landship
  30. Biddybuggy
  31. Prancer
  32. Sneeker
  33. Kiddie Kart
  34. Tea Coupe
  35. Quickshaw
  36. Ghost Ride
  37. Macharon
  38. Carrot Kart
  39. Double-Decker
  40. Jingle Bells
  41. Apple Kart
  42. Comet Tail
  43. Bright Bunny
  44. Dozer Dasher
  45. Clanky Kart
  46. Surf Sailer
  47. Pumpkin Kart
  48. Fast Frank
  49. Jet Cruiser
  50. Paintster
  51. Pinch Hitter
  52. B Dasher Mk. 2
  53. Roaring Racer
  54. Jukebox Buggy
  55. Cupid's Arrow
  56. Prop Kart
  57. Zoom Broom
  58. Warrior Wagon
  59. Flower Kart
  60. Capsule Kart
  61. Coconut 1
  62. Tuk-Tuk Kart
  63. Tropical Truck
  64. Watermelon Kart
  65. Ice Cream Minibus
  66. Shielded Speedster
  67. Swift Talon
  68. Blooper Shuttle
  69. Lunar Cruiser
  70. Pineapple 1
  71. Hot Pot Hot Rod
  72. Taiko Drum Dasher
  73. Jumbo Jetter
  74. Yeehaw Wagon
  75. Sub Scooter
  76. Soft Swerve
  77. Monarch Kart
  78. Snow Skimmer
  79. Pirate Sushi Racer
  80. Penguin Slider
  81. Hop Rod
  82. Vampire Flyer
  83. Crawly Kart
  84. Combo Cruiser
  85. Dry Bones Dasher
  86. Chain Chomp Chariot
  87. Fish Bone Ferry
Tour has a lot of good vehicles. My absolute favorites have to be the Tea Coupe, Sakura Quickshaw, Tropical Truck, Waluigi Racer Mk. 2, and the Prop Kart.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
Playing Tour for a bit made me want "three items at a time" to be the way item boxes are handled in the next game. You could even have each of the three items serve a different function:
  • Attack
  • Shield
  • Speed
Think of this system like an American traffic light.
360_F_568055294_e9cwI1DjI0xzwj5IHtpwBw47HH3LbFpL.jpg

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
I think it would be really awesome if every track's final lap music is a faster, more energetic version of it's main theme with more instruments. Opposed to the music just being sped up.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
I think it would be really awesome if every track's final lap music is a faster, more energetic version of it's main theme with more instruments. Opposed to the music just being sped up.

I was actually thinking of each track's song changing dynamically with each lap, kind of like Mount Wario and Big Blue.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
i'd like toadsworth, e.gadd and cranky as racers.
Decided to go ahead and make a text-only version of this.
Not saying I don't love them, but to be real they're series veterans and pretty much could/should had been to any current Nintendo Switch game if Nintendo want to. I think it's more about criticizing against the recent games if we care enough about these characters.

If you're very new characters it makes sense for you to not appear in past consoles, however none of the recent Mario spinoffs invited any new character who just debuted on games from NIntendo Switch. Cappy, Broodals and Hellen basically only make one appearance from their debut major game at this point.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I was actually thinking of each track's song changing dynamically with each lap, kind of like Mount Wario and Big Blue.
Wait what, their music changes with each lap? I had never noticed!

i'd like toadsworth, e.gadd and cranky as racers.
I'm with you. Maybe Toadsworth could be back as just the guy who give the trophy to the winner? He must come back one way or another, that's for sure.

And by the way, let us at least see the happiness of our character when we win a cup!

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
And by the way, let us at least see the happiness of our character when we win a cup!
Agreed. One of my biggest gripes with 8 is that it's missing a lot of "soul" that previous entries had like the victory ceremony and the "thanks for playing!" (yes I know 8DX has this but it only happened like a decade after the fact).

You go from playing 8DX to Double Dash and there's a lot missing aesthetically; I really want the next MK to have more slapstick akin to Double Dash. In that game, the screen shakes like crazy whenever you get hit, all of the characters' voice lines are a lot more energetic and zany, the backseaters will sometimes be dragged along by the back of their kart, you can punch other players by bumping into them, and Blue Shells skyrocket you ten feet into the air.

8DX may have more content, but as an overall cohesive package I actually prefer Double Dash as the perfect party experience. I want the next Mario Kart to follow in its footsteps and have just that; more slapstick, because it's been sorely missing.

One cool way they could go about showing off the characters' personalities a little more is having taunts. Imagine Daisy giving a cheeky wave toward you as she slipstreams by or Luigi giving you a very deliberate Death Stare as you both drift along the same curve. That would be awesome.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
Only partially related but:
Granted, this is only in Southeast Asia, which is admittedly a bummer. But regardless, the continued success of 8 Deluxe once again places a lot of expectations that the next full console Mario Kart needs to live up to.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Granted, this is only in Southeast Asia, which is admittedly a bummer.
The article says that "select parts of the world" have such a bundle already, but it only has data for the base game+first five waves. Granted this is my first time hearing about MK8D+BCP cartridge bundles in the first place.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I know the roster is usually what people care about the most, which is understandable, but I'm more interested in what new courses there will be. I hope that Nintendo continues where Tour left off and adds more new worldwide city courses. My three most wanted would be Honolulu Hustle, Rio Rumble and Cairo Chaos.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know the roster is usually what people care about the most, which is understandable, but I'm more interested in what new courses there will be. I hope that Nintendo continues where Tour left off and adds more new worldwide city courses. My three most wanted would be Honolulu Hustle, Rio Rumble and Cairo Chaos.
Edinburgh Express?

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
I'd only want more city courses if they're designed like a track first and not a weird labyrinth with cobbled-together routes that try and make use of all of the individual paths the Tour tracks took.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
I just wrote up a Mario Kart 8 retrospective in honor of 8's 10th anniverary (and, coincidentally enough, not too far off from the 32nd anniversary of the original Super Mario Kart)!

So based on this article, I wanted to ask the following questions about 8 Deluxe.
  1. What are your favorite characters?
  2. What are your favorite kart combinations?
  3. What are your favorite courses?
  4. What are your favorite memories?
  5. What are your hopes for the next Mario Kart?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So based on this article, I wanted to ask the following questions about 8 Deluxe.
alright then

1. Toad, Toadette
  2. i like, the airship, the biddbuddy, the streetle
  3. Skyhigh Sundae, Hyrule Circuit, Ribbon Road, Ninja Hideaway, Squeaky Clean Sprint
  4. playing with my friends
  5. more Toads

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
  1. Luigi has always been one of my favourites to use. I also find Daisy, Rosalina, and Dry Bowser to be characters I use frequently.
  2. B Dasher plus Standard wheels gives off heavy Mario Kart DS vibes, and since MKDS was my first game, I have nostalgia for it.
  3. DS Mario Circuit is an underrated gem, with such a charming atmosphere, with the fire Piranha Plants, and 8 Deluxe’s additions like the forest section and the giant Wiggler. I also enjoy 3DS Neo Bowser City (Koopa City in EU), SNES Rainbow Road, and Wii Grumble Volcano.
  4. My favourite memories was the period of finding out which courses were in the Booster Course Pass. It was a pleasure and a shame to see what courses did and didn’t make it in.
  5. I used to hate the idea of ‘Nintendo Kart’, but now, I’m open to the idea of more crossover content. We saw a glimpse of that with Link, the Villagers, and the Inklings in Mario Kart 8. I’m open to the obvious suggestions that are everywhere, being Kirby and Captain Falcon, but also more unorthodox choices such as Nintendo’s JRPG characters like Marth or Shulk getting a shot behind the wheel.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
1. Wiggler. Before he was added, it was Waluigi / Shy Guy.

2. Pipe Frame + Standard Tires + Super Glider. Call me boring, but it looks good on every single character. I also really just love the Pipe Frame's design and appreciate its legacy as the first Kart.

3. Sunshine Airport & Mount Wario. The Majority of BCP courses were duds to me, except for Yoshi's Island and Squeaky Clean Sprint which are absolute joys to play on.

4. Playing a demo for Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U at a GameStop kiosk in a mall. I was in... geez, middle school at the time?? For reference where I am today, I've completed college. The game seemed really polished and I was very excited for it. My uncle offered to buy it for me, and I remember spending hours playing online races throughout my summer. Even invited the neighbors over a couple of times to hang out and play. Good times.

5. MORE. EXTENDED UNIVERSE. CONTENT.

Yoshi's Island & Poochy are prime example of how great locations & characters from Mario sub-universes can be in Mario Kart, and I want more. Give me characters and tracks from Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi, DK, and Wario Land/Ware. I'm talking characters like Professor E. Gadd, Bandit, King K. Rool, Captain Syrup, and Ashley.

One of my biggest gripes with base 8 was how disturbingly padded the roster was, with the only new characters being the slot-devouring Koopalings and some baby/metal/power-up variants of existing characters.... and also the crossover characters, which although are cool, they're not what I come to Mario Kart for. It took a decade for the roster to finally become acceptable, and next time I really hope they have more variety from the get-go.

Other than that, I want elimination-based Battle mode back, gliding to feel more freeform like in 7 and less "rigged" like in 8, alternate costumes for characters, special items, and a mission mode with boss battles.

Also, I could do without the vehicle assembly this time around. To be honest, I'm a little sick of it. I'm fine with pre-set karts like in Double Dash, and they often have more unique/memorable designs anyway.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
I’ve been looking at the emblem page on the Mario wiki (https://www.mariowiki.com/Emblem#Common_badges) and I noticed the emblems for these characters who aren’t playable in Mario Kart Tour:
  • Luma
  • Boo
  • Piranha Plant
  • Paratroopa
Piranha Plant and Boo are also not items in Tour, which says to me that they (along with Luma and Paratroopa) may have been intended to be playable in Tour at some point. If nothing else, I'd love to see these guys playable in the next game.

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
I think it’s very interesting who isn’t in Tour, period.

Namely, the many characters from the WarioWare series. I think Tour is an omen of who they prioritise, and WarioWare just isn’t it for Mario Kart.

If they can’t get in the mobile game that incentivises you to spend money to get a new character, it looks very grim for console Mario Karts.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
I think it’s very interesting who isn’t in Tour, period.

Namely, the many characters from the WarioWare series. I think Tour is an omen of who they prioritise, and WarioWare just isn’t it for Mario Kart.

If they can’t get in the mobile game that incentivises you to spend money to get a new character, it looks very grim for console Mario Karts.
I'll keep pushing for Wario content regardless. The fact that a "full step" like Nintendo characters from completely different franchises like Zelda or Animal Crossing are on the table while characters that should logically be "half-steps" like Mona just aren't is completely ridiculous to me.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
This thought just came to me but Mario Kart already dabbles in Wario content. His signature Warioware Bike is a selectable vehicle in Wii.
Wario Shipyard also includes Wario Land motifs in the music and the glider ramp sign.
Two of the Arcade games have tracks that take place in Diamond City, complete with explicit landmarks from it and references to Warioware.
And his Wario Car from Wario Land 4 is a selectable vehicle in Double Dash!! (Thanks, fogbadge).

With all this, why would Warioware getting a character be the thing that's considered "too far"?

Heck, even Ninja Hideaway is a Wario course in everything but name, with iconography of his nose, mustache, and garlic being spread everywhere; you'd think it took place in Diamond City Dojo or something. Some people have theorized that the Wario elements of it were intended to play a larger role, such as the Ninja Tour coming with Kat and Ana as drivers, but the scope was pulled back at the last moment. I'm not sure I believe it 100%, but it would make a lot of sense if true.

Anyways, point is, Wario content is on the table and I only think there'll be more of a demand for it as the playable Mario Kart cast continues to grow. The devs have shown that they're not entirely opposed to including stuff from his series.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This thought just came to me but Mario Kart already dabbles in Wario content. His signature Warioware Bike is a selectable vehicle in Wii.
Wario Shipyard also includes Wario Land motifs in the music and the glider ramp sign.
Two of the Arcade games have tracks that take place in Diamond City, complete with explicit landmarks from it and references to Warioware.

With all this, why would Warioware getting a character be the thing that's considered "too far"?

Heck, even Ninja Hideaway is a Wario course in everything but name, with iconography of his nose, mustache, and garlic being spread everywhere; you'd think it took place in Diamond City Dojo or something. Some people have theorized that the Wario elements of it were intended to play a larger role, such as the Ninja Tour coming with Kat and Ana as drivers, but the scope was pulled back at the last moment. I'm not sure I believe it 100%, but it would make a lot of sense if true.

Anyways, point is, Wario content is on the table and I only think there'll be more of a demand for it as the playable Mario Kart cast continues to grow. The devs have shown that they're not entirely opposed to including stuff from his series.
you forgot about the wario land 4 car in double dash

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
And his Wario Car from Wario Land 4 is a selectable vehicle in Double Dash!! (Thanks, fogbadge).

To be fair, it’s always been supplemental content. Vehicles has really been the only thing the core Mario Kart team have dabbled with.

Remember, the Arcade GP games were developed by Bandai Namco.

But it’s never been characters. Compared to the other Mario spin-offs, which get characters like Baby Mario & Baby Luigi, King Boo, Diddy Kong, and everyone’s favourite Funky Kong, plus Dixie Kong and Poochy in Tour, it is a shame Wario doesn’t get the same treatment, even in Tour.

But to be safe in expectations for a new game, I’m not personally anticipating more WarioWare/Land content. It doesn’t feel particularly likely, and Nintendo has hesitated to delve into Wario content beyond vehicles.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Unfortunately I don't think they're explicit enough, like there's more E. Gadd imagery than there is Dr. Crygor imagery (as in, there is none).

Lenidem

Smash Lord
It is pretty weird.
There may not have been Wario Biker... but we did get Wario Hiker!

This is so out of the blue that it seems like the result of a misunderstanding in a comedy or something...

• By the way! There is one costume for Wario that you absolutely must do! You know which one, right?
  • Oh, hum, yes, of course... it's... hu... It's... Wario...
  • Wario Biker!
  • Yeah, that's what I was about to say! I'm on it, boss!... Grumble, why do I have to design a freaking whole new hiker costume for Wario, that doesn't make any sense...

Last edited:
Top Bottom