• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Honor v.s Competitive Play

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
So I just recently discovered that I'm not really an MK that camps or is ever willing to time someone out(including :popo:), and I also realized if I want to get to the next level I must refrain myself by approaching and to not rely on tornado when things make me nervous. I actually place really well like at nationals and regionals, and have taken out some top players but I think I could do much much more if I get over the small problems I have. So instead of playing with honor I'm going to start to camp and even possibly timing people out. I want to see if I just sit and wait for my opponent when I have a lead and force them to make the move to see if I do better. I realized all this when playing Pyronic Star a few weekends ago, I was up almost a full stock 3rd game and I blew it by not camping. So lets see what happens.....:chuckle:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Honor = useless
Competitive play = good

Honor is just an opinion. For example, I think you already gave up an honor by choosing MK, unless you decided to main him the first time you played the game. Since honor is already thrown out the door might as well play to win and do your best possible. Good luck.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I think your problem isn't honor, it's patience. If it was really honor you probably wouldn't be playing MK (you'd stick to Wolf). And yes, honor is useless in a video game.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
First off, I'm not patient because I don't want to be seen as that kind of player. And secondly, I've used MK since SPOC 4(Feb 7th 2008) when I first tried the game(long before Wolf). MK's was my only character up until last summer when I picked up Wolf/Falco/Snake

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
only scrubs will hate you because you play to win, dont worry about it. i use peach and i still respect anybody that utilizes all the tools necessary to win

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
haha true. I just realized when playing pyronic star this problem. Like I get good placings(25th at pound, top in the NY/NJ area, ranked 1st in PA) but I never really played gay or even attempted too.

Jem.

Smash Master
Ignore what other people say. Just play your game and if you're playing to win, play to win.

P.S I've never timed someone out either.

OverLade

Smash Hero
If you want to play to win, play to win.

I choose to always approach because that's the only way I enjoy playing MK. I lose because of it occasionally but I'd rather play an enjoyable set then feel like I didn't earn it. Brawl is a crappy game, and the optimal way to win doesn't require the most skill or is the most fun. I'd rather do it my way and take my risks.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
After encountering my fair share of honor mongers on wifi in the past year I shun and dread those kind of people, now I do what I can to win. PS1+meta=stalling bonanza

plays meta on the side

M@v

Subarashii!
If you want to play to win, play to win.

I choose to always approach because that's the only way I enjoy playing MK. I lose because of it occasionally but I'd rather play an enjoyable set then feel like I didn't earn it. Brawl is a crappy game, and the optimal way to win doesn't require the most skill or is the most fun. I'd rather do it my way and take my risks.
Your snake's campy as **** though =P

etecoon

Smash Hero
snake's camping is also more fun than MK camping

except vs IC's, oh god do I love running from them and torturing them with the clock : )

theunabletable

Smash Lord
^Well I mean I don't TRY to time people out. I just play really ****ing defensive and campy, and that tends to lead to timeouts :p

Top Bottom