• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Honestly, how upset would you guys be if Ridley or K Rool were not playable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd sigh deeply and mutter to myself until way after I've gone a bought it

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I'd be more dissapointed with K. Rool's exclusion than Ridley's, but neither of them are a shoe-in anyway.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I've already expressed my dissapointment once when I thought Ridley was done for after the Direct, so I've already gotten over the initial dissapointment, anything that comes past this can't be worse. I'm not overly optimistic about his chances at this point either, the only thing keeping me here are those damn shadow size comparisons.

But to keep it short Ridley makes or breaks the newcomer pool for me, if he isn't in then I'm very likely just going to stick with my Brawl mains. Greninja could maybe be an alt at best, other than that I'm not so hot on any of the others' playstyles.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Im not giving my hopes up and preparing for them not to be in, but how about the rest of you?
I would be pretty mad with all the teasing Sakurai gave us concerning Ridley, but I would eventually calm down. King K. Rool would be a disappointment to hear about since I think he has a very high chance.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Mostly what Wariofan said. The initial disappointment phase has basically already passed for me, so the worst part's over, aside from maybe having to deal with another round of bull**** from the detractors the next few years but I think we're pretty much used to that by now and don't even bat an eye at 'em anymore for the most part. I'll just stick with who I used in Brawl and Rosalina if worse comes to worse, and Mewtwo if he comes back, but other than that...

*que others talking about how bloody and anally butthurt fans of those characters are like usual*

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I would not even be mad.

Even if Mewtwo got shafted again, I would not be mad. I would be a bit disappointed with no Mewtwo, sure, but I'll still most likely love this game.

Kain6th, are you trying to summon the whole Ridley supporters here?
That was my first impression, actually. I thought, "surely this is a bait thread."

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'd just move on.

I always make it a case not to expect anyone unless there's some very solid evidence going on. (though I admittedly broke this rule with Little Mac) While I wanted Ridley, I'm pretty cool with him being a boss. Couldn't care less about K.Rool though, Diddy fulfills my DKC needs.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I've already braced for the likelihood that my favorite character isn't getting in. The omission of Ridley and K. Rool won't have me crying a river of delicious tears.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I'm indifferent on Ridley. If he really is playable, then sure, why not? If he's only a boss hazard like what Sakurai wants us to think, I'm okay with it.

It'd hit me harder if K. Rool missed out, but I'd be more disappointed than anything. He has a lot of potential as a character, covers niches the others don't, could even count as a throwback character since his heyday was in the 90s, and we've already had a couple nods to Donkey Kong Country that certainly increases the odds of them getting another rep...

Last edited:

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I'd shrug it off for both cases pretty much. I like both of them, but it's not on crazy overzealous levels where people start threatening to not buy the game when someone else is announced.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not care about King K. Rool, I have never speculated in favor of him as there is nothing objective pertaining to his chances. Ridley on the other hand would bother me. I truly hate it when the incompetent are actually correct and the competent are incorrect. Those who adhere to confirmation bias would have the better of those who actually contemplated the ramifications of everything regarding his chance. One has come to a logical conclusion, the other has made a presumption. It would not bother me that he was not in the game as much as it would bother me that those would relish in their decadence.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would not be disappointed if Ridley, King K. Rool, or Mewtwo did not get in. I'm neutral toward them. Sakurai already added a lot of popular characters in SSB4... the thing is, those characters are more popular with their respective franchise fanbases than with the Smash fanbase. Sakurai isn't going to add a bunch of obscure characters just to appeal the vocal minority (the Smash fanbase) who made them sound like they are more popular than they really are.

D

Deleted member

I'll be upset that King K. Rool wouldn't make it and I don't care for whatever situation Ridley is in.
With the Gematsu leak though, Shulk is enough to appease me for the loss. So, I'll be upset for King K. Rool, but I won't be terribly depressed. I'll just sigh and move on since the game will be amazing anyway.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am going to alter my perspective. I WILL care if neither are revealed, it is pathetic that everyone is so very narcissistic, they only care if they have a character that they care about. "Forget about prominent characters from notable Nintendo franchises with observable move-set potential that would surely contribute to the quality of the game. Those characters are not relevant if I get a character that I kind of, sort of like, it makes up for the decisions that I do not like... for some arbitrary reason."

I would be upset if only for the fact that others will be justifiably upset.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I am going to alter my perspective. I WILL care if neither are revealed, it is pathetic that everyone is so very narcissistic, they only care if they have a character that they care about. "Forget about prominent characters from notable Nintendo franchises with observable move-set potential that would surely contribute to the quality of the game. Those characters are not relevant if I get a character that I kind of, sort of like, it makes up for the decisions that I do not like... for some arbitrary reason."

I would be upset if only for the fact that others will be justifiably upset.
You honestly need a little break from the internet if that's what's bothering you the most.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'd probably say that I saw this coming, I always had the gut feeling Ridley and K. Rool were never going to make it as playable after the E3 2013. Though, as time went on, I began to feel sorry for Ridley fans, Ridley is an okay choice for a fighter, I'll just feel a teeny bitter.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Donkey Kong NEEDS a third rep. The series is extremely popular and deserves one, especially over Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, and Star Fox. It was a travesty it took until Brawl to get Diddy Kong in. K. Rool deserves it over Dixie Kong, but either one would work.

If neither K. Rool nor Ridley were playable, yes, I'd be severely disappointed. They both fit perfectly and deserve representation, and Smash Bros. needs more villain characters as well. Ridley and K. Rool are just the logical choices, and frankly I think K. Rool's chances of being a secret character are still quite high.

tetraforce

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't be too upset because i don't expect to see him playable Nintendo has been ignoring K Rool for while (not in any MK8 not the boss tropical freeze or DKR) i think there trying to distance themselves from Rare. That being said he would be a welcome addition if he were playable but i'm not holding my breath

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
I'm not expecting either of them, but I'd be disappointed about both of them for different reasons. I'm a huge fan of the DK series and K. Rool has always been the one person I've wanted who actually had a chance. I have some dream characters like Dimentio but K. Rool was the main one I had real hope for.

As for Ridley, I'm not the biggest Metroid fan out there, but I'd be upset because I've heard both sides of the argument, and I am 100% with the supporters. Not in terms of likelihood, as I stated earlier I don't think he'll make it, but he SHOULD be in it. Either way, there's going to be a lot of rage all over the place the day he's confirmed/deconfirmed, and I would much rather see the rage coming from the detractors side.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd not buy the game if neither were playable, not as a sign of being upset, but because I'd have nothing of interest to me in the game to warrant a purchase. A Smash game is only as good as its newcomer roster to me, and none of the current or leaked newcomers appeal to me much at all, especially not enough to warrant buying a Wii U. @ MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees said it awhile back, but their absence leaves gaping holes on the roster, with no new heavyweights, no new villains, and almost no newcomers who aren't humanoid. I play exclusively characters from those groups, so yeah.

Quick observation for their fans claiming "I've gotten over my disappointment," you are playing right into the hands of Sakurai and the marketing team. They are keeping the status of Ridley and K. Rool a mystery until the game's release so they can use and abuse your hype, then leave you at the altar at a point when your disappointment is completely and utterly drowned out by the obsessive masses and media giving the game lip service and an immediate 40/40 rating. Do what you choose, but if you want the developers to be held accountable for their crappy handling of the two characters, you'll keep piping up so that, once the hype dies down, their absence is recognized as the flaw it is, and potentially corrected either via DLC or by the next game.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd be fine without K. Rool. But I do feel he and Dixie are both long overdude for their playable debut and he definitely needs to get int to remind Nintendo he exists and has a fanbase.

With Ridley. I'm so confident that he's in for sure because of the circumstances surronding him that I will be pretty damn bummed if he's not flying around the stage and kicking the **** out of everyone.

Neither would stop me from buying the game if they don't make it in this time.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
...their absence leaves gaping holes on the roster, with no new heavyweights, no new villains, and almost no newcomers who aren't humanoid.
Now realizing this and its very upseting. No wonder I can't shake that feeling of displeasement with the "leaked" final roster.
Having said this, I would still buy Smash Bros. 4. Because I don't play it for the characters (maybe 50% characters), but for the gameplay and the 4 player fun you have with friends and family.
Besides, heavyweights have always had the fame of being very underused in Smash Bros. games. So I presume that is one point against adding more this time.
Conclusion: If there are no K. Rool or Ridley, I would be very annoyed. But at least there are around 10 characters there that I like enough to buy the game.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If either Ridley or K.Rool don't make the cut, I'll be dissapointed, if neither make the cut, especially with all the teasing (Pyrosphere bull**** and the Kremlings on Smash Run) I'll be FURIOUS, but I'll still buy the game and root for Project M Ridley.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If either Ridley or K.Rool don't make the cut, I'll be dissapointed, if neither make the cut, especially with all the teasing (Pyrosphere bull**** and the Kremlings on Smash Run) I'll be FURIOUS, but I'll still buy the game and root for Project M Ridley.
I'll still buy the game, but if we don't get K. Rool, Ridley, or a revamped Ganondorf, I'll be disappointed and will likely go for Hyrule Warriors first, because at least their I should be able to play as my favorite characters. Can't play as Ganondorf in Smash Bros. if he sucks. Granted, I'll definitely get Smash Bros. for the new modes, but the roster will determine how willing I will be to fork over the money for the console and game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Over the past couple months, I've seen people saying there are no heavyweight newcomers... well, we do have the Mii Fighters. That's one heavyweight sword fighter, one heavyweight gunner, and one heavyweight brawler. :troll:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'd sigh deeply and mutter to myself until way after I've gone a bought it
Basically this. It's kind of ridiculous to pass them by for four straight games. I'd probably also have much lower hopes and expectations for the next game in this department.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I honestly never thought Ridley had a chance of being playable until after I saw the shadow "dencofirmation" during the direct. Ever since then, I've been anticipating playing as him. That being said, I wouldn't be too bummed if he wasn't playable. I've only played Super Metroid, Fusion and Prime so I don't have much of an attachment to him. I would be more angry at Sakurai for not just showing Stage Hazard Ridley in the first place, instead of leading us on for the past few months with hopes that he might be a character. I know he's a troll at times, but that's just unnecessarily and childish.

K. Rool on the other hand... He's my most wanted character behind Mewtwo and Paper Mario (who I never expected to be in the game) so I'd be sorely disappointed if he doesn't make it in, especially after seeing the Kritters in smash run.

I just hope that we can at least get Dixie Kong if K. Rool doesn't make it. It would be really stupid for DK to STILL only have two reps. That's less than or equal to Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Metroid and possibly Mother. All of these franchises are less popular/successful than Donkey Kong so it seems kind of wrong for DK to not get at least one new character. The series definitely deserves one.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I honestly never thought Ridley had a chance of being playable until after I saw the shadow "dencofirmation" during the direct. Ever since then, I've been anticipating playing as him. That being said, I wouldn't be too bummed if he wasn't playable. I've only played Super Metroid, Fusion and Prime so I don't have much of an attachment to him. I would be more angry at Sakurai for not just showing Stage Hazard Ridley in the first place, instead of leading us on for the past few months with hopes that he might be a character. I know he's a troll at times, but that's just unnecessarily and childish.

K. Rool on the other hand... He's my most wanted character behind Mewtwo and Paper Mario (who I never expected to be in the game) so I'd be sorely disappointed if he doesn't make it in, especially after seeing the Kritters in smash run.

I just hope that we can at least get Dixie Kong if K. Rool doesn't make it. It would be really stupid for DK to STILL only have two reps. That's less than or equal to Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Metroid and possibly Mother. All of these franchises are less popular/successful than Donkey Kong so it seems kind of wrong for DK to not get at least one new character. The series definitely deserves one.
I think Kirby is about on the same level as DK, but I agree on the rest, its a shame DK doesn't have a third rep yet, he should've gotten a third rep in Brawl. Before I saw Kritters in Smash Run I had very little hope for K. Rool (but I always anticipated a new DK newcomer, I just figured Dixie was more likely; although she's my favorite DK character, I'd rather have K. Rool in Smash and I think he deserves it more), but once I saw Kritters were back I immediately changed my mind.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I won't buy the game if ridley, mewtwo or KKR aren't in, I need at least one of them to buy it, otherwise I'll buy something like MK8, hyrule warriors or bayonetta 2, so far the newcomers doesn't interest me that much and Sakurai is clearly showing bias towards the Kid Icarus franchise (I love the game but seriously, I feel it is getting way too much)
I can understand KKR, but Mewtwo and Ridley? Not having mewtwo would be a big mistake, he has everything that they want with a character
Ridley not being in would be Sakurai throwing a middle finger to the fan base and metroid fans in general, Why did he gave Ridley special treatment? To hype a boss? Something that got bad received back at the e3 and that few people had shown interest towards it? To troll the fanbase when he said that he doesn't like to give fans false hope and be a total hypocrite?

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'm already prepared to shrug and stay the hell away from this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom