• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

hit box diagrams visual thingies

zealotscout

Smash Apprentice
hello ike boards i humbly come down on this fine day, to share an idea of mine .I came up with this idea , starting from ike obviously . We should have a section containing hitbox diagrams , if your are skeptical at point i can understand that ,but hit box diagrams could help a lot of ike newbies , or even already good ike players to atone there skills. but lets just not limit ourselves to ike since, most of his hitbox moves are pritty straight forward , maybe except his fsmash dair dont know exactly but other characters have really wierd hit boxes and these diagrams can reveal the secrets , behind all those " irregular hitboxes " we hear so much about . Now this could get to the other char boards and be a big help.
If some people with a little bit of time and a wii of corse*sorry cant help here* were to take some pics of ikes move set , put em up to paint shop w.e, and color the hit box areas with colors ,say red areas for most damage green areas for irregular hitboxes , ect. , now since there are so many frames in a attack , we should just concentrate on the few areas of the actual hitbox , duh the title says it all , well i want to give the ike boards and possibly all of smash boards something to ponder about . If this idea was thought about already good , then close the thread , if not , discuss ,share information , contribute to the cause w.e .
and if you dont like this well , i cant think for you so do as you wish.

zealotscout and im out.

metroid1117

Smash Master
The problem is that some hitboxes aren't accurately drawn; for example, the tip of Falcon Punch SHOULD hit the opponent, but it doesn't. Another example is Ike's FSmash; I don't have it up on YouTube yet, but there was a match where I FSmashed a Lucario while he was doing FAir and it went right through him; the gold outline *clearly* passes through Lucario, but there is no hit.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
send it to kirk to test it out I'm pretty sure the sword passed trough the area lucario was in before he got there and the yellow slash is just cause it moves fast (lol irony)

Kirk

Smash Champion
iirc, season's thing uses the hitbox data from Melee's debug mode.

...something we don't have in brawl...thus it can't really be accurate.

comboking

Smash Master
It lets u add codes kind of like Homebrew.
It lets u play as sandbag and wire frames and much more.
This is all found using Action Replay. or it can be found by doing glitches in games I hope that clears it up.

/thread let it die

metroid1117

Smash Master
*still confused about debug mode*
It lets u add codes kind of like Homebrew.
It lets u play as sandbag and wire frames and much more.
This is all found using Action Replay. or it can be found by doing glitches in games I hope that clears it up.
Not exactly; AR lets you add codes, not debug mode. It does let you play as Sandbag and Wire Frames, as well as Giga Bowser and Master/Crazy Hand (although you have to add in a code so that the game doesn't freeze when the match ends). Debug mode was used by the developers to see if there was anything wrong with the game; it lets you slow down things frame-by-frame (this was how SDM made Adventure, Zero Mercy 1, 2, and 3, and Perfect Control 1 and 2), see ALL hitboxes, hurtboxes, edge-grab boxes, and moments of invincibility (Melee Fox had invincibility frames by his head during USmash, wt*?), play on ANY stage (including Target Test and HRC; it turns out there was also a Melee Fire Emblem stage, but it wasn't finished), and summon any item/Pokemon on command.

We haven't found the debug mode for Brawl yet; otherwise, if I had Action Replay or the Homebrew Channel (whichever one finds a way to get the debug menu), I'd be all over this. This would also allow us to verify Kirk's frame data (not that I'm complaining) and see SAF.

zealotscout

Smash Apprentice
well , if we do commence this project you never know , we might find some irregular hitboxes , and even limited hitboxes , for waht i remember i have been dissapointed by fsmash , since i assumed it was a perfect arc motion , say 1/2 of a usmash , but it comes to show that it has a limited hitbox on the arc just like metroid said and dont forget the strange hit box , between his body and legs while the fsmash is almost executed . hence u can hit people rolling sometimes with a fsmash , things like this could be expanded , also , hitbox diagrams arent EXCLUSIVELY for ike , we could share hitboxes with other chars , but starting with ike. btw must this be done with AR? , why not simple moving around training move attacking , pause , slowing the speed , cant it be done like this? ,
edit : if this project commences , hit boxes areas should be drawn on still pictures , Dead zones (not hit zones) , sweet spots *if any * , irregular hitboxes , delayed hitboxes , and main frames * the main hitting part* if this is really going to get under why , add other hitbox classifications if not , back to the drawing board.

zealotscout

Smash Apprentice
it would be really hard and inaccurate.
well ill see if i can get a head start before the end of the weekend , i did perceive this "project" to be somewhat complex but maybe igot over my head , but still i will try and see what i can do .

metroid1117

Smash Master
btw must this be done with AR? , why not simple moving around training move attacking , pause , slowing the speed , cant it be done like this? ,
edit : if this project commences , hit boxes areas should be drawn on still pictures , Dead zones (not hit zones) , sweet spots *if any * , irregular hitboxes , delayed hitboxes , and main frames * the main hitting part* if this is really going to get under why , add other hitbox classifications if not , back to the drawing board.
You can try that, but the problem is that you have no clear idea where the hurtbox of the target is; for example, it seems like you should be able to hit the wire that goes from ROB's body to the back of his head, but you can't (tested it out with FTilt). In Melee, DK had a really weird hurtbox on his belly; you would have difficulty in knowing where it is unless you do repeated, controlled tests where you try to consistently get phantom hits (which is very difficult to do in the first place, since even standing characters move a lot).

Kirk

Smash Champion
For whatever reason, Lucario's hitbox just doesn't extend out there during the Fair animation. That's the only real explanation I can think of. I doubt it has anything to do with invincibility.

In that snapshot, however, Ike's sword is already past Lucario...the trail left behind doesn't have a hitbox to hit Lucario with.

If you still have that replay, you could possibly send it to me? So I can take a closer look. Don't have to or anything, I'm just curious...though I wouldn't be able to do it for awhile.

California is...fun. :D

•Col•

Smash Champion
Yeah, I think it was what arturo and Kirk said.

Ike's fsmash already went down before Lucario was in range, cuz it was too fast.
lol

If we could slow it down.... REALLY slow, we could see what happened. I'm really doubting that there is a gap in the fsmash's hitbox. xD

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I think Lucario has a strange hurtbox as well. When you ground release him then try to regrab him, Ike's hand goes through Lucario's hand/wrist, but doesn't grab him. Maybe his feet and hands don't have hurtboxes? Or at least, not to the very end of them. Still doesn't explain that Fsmash though....

•Col•

Smash Champion
I think Lucario has a strange hurtbox as well. When you ground release him then try to regrab him, Ike's hand goes through Lucario's hand/wrist, but doesn't grab him. Maybe his feet and hands don't have hurtboxes? Or at least, not to the very end of them. Still doesn't explain that Fsmash though....
No... Lucario's entire body is a hurt box, I believe. His entire body becomes a hitbox during his uair and a few other moves...

metroid1117

Smash Master
For whatever reason, Lucario's hitbox just doesn't extend out there during the Fair animation. That's the only real explanation I can think of. I doubt it has anything to do with invincibility.

In that snapshot, however, Ike's sword is already past Lucario...the trail left behind doesn't have a hitbox to hit Lucario with.

If you still have that replay, you could possibly send it to me? So I can take a closer look. Don't have to or anything, I'm just curious...though I wouldn't be able to do it for awhile.

California is...fun. :D
I don't have the replay, but I'm uploading it to Filefront as I type.

EDIT: Download link is here. The "whiffed" FSmash is at 2:06.

Sorry in advance for playing badly and messing up my spacing at times; I call lag johns.

zealotscout

Smash Apprentice
sorry for my inactivity guys , i gotta postpone my part of the bargain here , and what happened in that pic happens to me all the time , with enemys on platforms w.e its a real hassle. , we could be looking here at a dead zone in ikes Fsmash

zealotscout

Smash Apprentice
bump , sorry i wont be able to follow up on this ,i invite anyone else to continue on this but i find my self helpless in being able to help on this sorry guys.

Top Bottom