• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

History of the (Smash Mafia)

Smashbros

Smash Journeyman
Part 1.. i'm gonna post this in three parts, good feedback gets more parts, lol. OK mods please dont lock or delete this, the people it is relevent too come into this section

The history of the smash mafia

Smash for the smashbros began on the n64 a long long time ago, long before there were any graylines and long before there were any legends around. Me and my brother were just a couple of your average scrubs who used to play with items 20 stock free for all matches on corneria but of course we thought we were amazing. We spent quite a bit of time playing the original smash bros (me and my brother) but it wasn’t something that we took too seroiously, there were no tournaments and certainly no advanced techniques because we didn’t even have the internet at the time. I used to play Captain falcon and luigi and my bro played pikachu and jiggs. But we had both decided that falcon was best, coz well he’s captain falcon and he has a punch with fire. This was a time long before we even knew who ryan (grayfox) or any of the other current smash mafia members were… but something had begun dum dum dum.

My brother (craig) met grayfox and fantasm through school, they didn’t get to know eachother through the game but one of the reasons they became friends was through their Nintendo fanboyism syndrome. Ryan being the only guy in letham brave enough to wear a Nintendo t-shirt in public. The first time I saw ryan I thought who is this stupid little kid running about like an idiot I’m going to punch him… so I did. (much like I think when I see his samus today). A couple of years passed and with that came the launch of the Gamecube, during those two years I had kinda lost my interest in gaming and I didn’t have that much money so I didn’t get a cube at launch. It wasn’t until August the 10th 2002 that I decided I was going to get a gamecube and there was only gonna be one game that I would get with it.

At first neither me nor my brother really liked Super smash bros melee, it was too fast and the trophies and stuff seemed kinda stupid so we only played it for about a month unlocking 1 or 2 secret characters then I just stopped playing. But my interest in the game came back a bit when my brothers friends Ryan, Sean and Steven would come round on a Saturday and play smash along with a few other games. So while my brother had gone on holiday with my parents I decided I would give smash another go. I unlocked all the characters and actually found the game to be more fun this time around. We continued playing smash on a regular basis around this time, it must have been around May 2003 ? I cant be sure of this though. The characters we all played at this time were a little different to who we main as now but I played Falcon still thinking he was amazing. My brother played Falcon too along with Fox and Ryan played Roy lol. Sean mained as Falco and Steven (who no longer plays) used Marth and Doc. I thought we were ok at smash, but I knew there had to be much much more to the game and I really wanted to see videos of how other players played the game. So one day while searching through google I found www.smashboards.com and I registerd at the site as Mr P ( name I used when I played pokemon) This was where a whole new world of smash was opened up to me and I discovered techniques like l-cancelling and wavedashing. Me and my brother picked these things up really quickly and started to improve our skill rapidly, beating the other guys Ryan, Sean and Steven quite easily. None of them were that interested in learning these “advanced techniques”

I never posted on smashboards during this time but I used to browse frequently and one day I came across the punch crew website and found their videos. The first video we ever downloaded was a match called “castle rock concert” with Mikes Falcon vs Jarrods Falco we were blown away. It was the first time we’d ever seen 2 pros go at it, wow we were going to play like that and we were going to be better. It was also about this time that we came across Nismojoe’s stadium website and we got all his videos. His stadium videos inspired us just as much as the punch crews vids had if not more. So me and my brother became stadium addicts too.

The other guys still used to come round on a Saturday but me and my brother took it a little more seriously and we dominated things although my brother was a little better than i was. We both started playing other characters at this point experimenting with their different technical abilities I went through playing a whole series of different characters (usually the higher tiered faster characters) and my brother had a different main every week although falcon was generally his best. Ryan was still using Roy but started playing falcon too. After a while me and my brother were looking for more competition and were wondering whether tournaments were actually possible, but we knew that if one would crop up that we would be there for sure wherever it was. Well one day when I was browsing gamefaqs (because we spent most of our time there in the stadium topics) we came across a thread called TDI and it was a UK tournie yehhhhhhhhh a tournie, our chance finally. A guy called the doug was hosting the tournie and he had this in his sig “best european smasher” and I was like who does this guy think he is claiming best euro smasher when he aint played me yet ????? There were other UK smashers posting the thread like Qwester and pictish freak and the one and only Decadent One who was nearly as cocky as this “the doug” character.

In the very early months of 2004 Sean and Steven dropped out, they had both really quit the game by then and had stopped coming up on a Saturday. So this left just me, my brother and Ryan left. Around this time my brother was by far the best of us he was playing much more than both me and Ryan and it was paying off. Ryan still wasn’t doing any advanced tactics, he did a lot of crouch cancelling with Roy and got a lot of cheap f-smash KO’s. Ryans main was Falcon but it was the most horrible Falcon you’d ever seen, there were no such things as l-cancels or even a short hop and he also liked to throw in the odd Falcon punch, lol in other words he was terrible not that me and my brother were that great either but we had a basic concept of how high level smash worked. I was using Fox as my main, Falcon as secondary and I started using a little Peach around this time too. Before TDI had come around I had mastered the art of waveshining I was a god,, lol. My brother was using Falcon as his main, this was by far his strongest character but he also had the ability to play a lot of characters (not that i didn’t but he was just better lol) By the time the tournament had come round we were feeling quite confident in our skills and were pretty sure we would do quite well, I mean it wasn’t like we couldn’t do any of the advanced techniques. Ryan never came to TDI for whatever reason I cant really remember but he made some Johns about it. We planned on getting the train down but my parents were dubious about the whole thing so they said they would drive us all the way down, whether we would actually go was hit or miss because I had a really bad flu but I was determined that I was going to this tournament. So on April 10th 2004 we drove down to Lytham to take part in our first tournie. When we arrived Doug seemed real surprised to see these weird people at his door.

Playing all these experienced players came as a real shock to us, it really opened our eyes about how advanced play really was. Before TDI we had no concept of mindgames, but this was understandable considering we had only ever played eachother. Needless to say neither of us did very well but we weren’t put off the game, it only made us more determined to get better. I don’t think anyone else who was at that tournament expected much of us in the future but I knew we were going to prove them wrong. We left TDI early because I was ill and the journey back up was one of the most uncomfortable in my life, but I wouldn’t say I regretted it.

300 posts !

FlameSuzaku

Smash Cadet
Like i said before, good job! Detailed nicely. Also imo i think it also gives advice on what to do if your a new smash player. Making teams and what to do with the team, etc.
[copyed from msn convo as to lazy to type it again =P] you'll understand after part 2 and 3.

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
I want to hear more about the hero (Qwester) and the evil Decadent One.

Don't forget the 'and they all lived happily ever after'

Smashbros

Smash Journeyman
Part 2 then these are a little shorter...

We came back from the tournament raving to ryan about what had happened and he started to improve his skill a little. Ryan at that time had never really found his true character, Falcon really didn’t work for him so he started using Samus. Samus just seemed to click for him, he could crouch cancel as much as he wanted and Samus didn’t die as quickly as Roy did, he had found his main and he has never looked back since. On the boards people were talking about how good our technical skill was but that we sucked because he didn’t have any mindgames, which was true enough but the people saying it were as bad as we were which I found a little hypocritical. Our tech skill wasn’t even good compared to nowadays but we could atleast l-cancel.

We had the beginnings of a crew, me my brother and Ryan and we needed a name. We came up with a lot of different ideas, Ryan and Craig liked Fighting Nintendo Team or something gay like that. I was older and bigger and I could punch harder so my idea of “ The Smash Mafia” stuck, I think we can all agree it was the right choice, lol.

Straight after TDI a new tournament was announced called Judgement Day and it was being hosted by a guy called Kone in Newcastle who I had never heard of before. I thought “great another opportunity to show our skills and more UK players to play against”. It was awesome. I had had enough of Fox by this time and Falcon was long gone, I had been working on Peach for a while and she had become my main. My brother was using marth and falco. Our technical skills and mindgames both improved massively and Ryan had finally got the hang of bomb jump recovering lol, we were all getting much better and training hard. I had lost my old Mr P account on smashboards and registered as “smashbros” an amazing name as you can all agree but not one that everyone got the jist of, lol. Smashbros = 2 brothers by the way. JD was the tournament of camping, where the boring and tedious ruled, it put all of us off competitive play a little but we knew it could easily be overcome. I got 9th and my brother and Ryan never made it out of pools.

Glasgow came and went and we kept improving. Soon after Glasgow we had a new addition to our crew Sean (fantasm) came back to play hardcore this time but he didn’t last very long and he quit before TDI2 came around much to our annoyance. Between Glasgow and TDI2 saw another massive jump in our skill and we had proven our ability at TDI2 by placing 3rd my brother 4th me and 5th Ryan who tied with Jam. Jam was someone who played very similarly to how we all did and he did awesome at Glasgow, his first tournie where he got 4th. Not to mention that Jam was also an awesome guy, lol.

The story of how Graylines came about.

Graylines is the term we use within our crew to explain the level of inexplicable luck that Ryan has always had in smash bros. We always felt the effects of Ryans phantom hits and all that kinda stuff but we never had a name for it until the way back from TDI2. On the way back we had a train timetable that gave us a list of all the trains we and buses we needed to get, so anyway when we got to Carlisle the last leg of our trip our timetable said we had to get a train at a certain time so we waited for the train but it turned out our timetable was wrong and the train had left 15 mins ago, so we thought we were ****ed. We asked some guy if there were any other trains we could get and he said “no” but if we waited 15 mins a bus was coming that could take us to Edinburgh. When the bus arrived it said “Graylines” on the side and it had a picture of a silver fox on it LOLOLOLOL OMG we couldn’t believe it, we knew ryan had something to do with this. As it turned out the bus got us to Edinburgh 15 mins before the train would of… amazing we had our explanation for Ryans luck and called it “graylines” dumbluck at it’s finest

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
Senphet was just another english smasher. First turning up at JD, he's the only asian smasher in the UK community (correct me if I'm wrong).

ac_anon

Smash Ace
Lol brilliant, all this was before my time however.

cant till part 3, where Anon is introduced(to the sound of "not another samus...") and the mafia host a tournament

Smashbros

Smash Journeyman
For the third time Sean had come back to Smash and this time he meant it (apparently). He mained as Mario and he made his first tournament appearance at TOAST. Sean seemed to be one of those guys who had absaloutly no natural ability in smash he was just terrible lol. TOAST had it’s fun points but it was the worst tournie we had been to. Aside from there only being 4 small tv’s in a freezing hall we had to spend 6 hours wandering the streets of stirling till we got to i think UBER’s house. All three of us tied for 9th place. And we all got 5th in teams. This was also the first time we met Helios the legend that he is.

In March me and Ryan made our first trip abroad for DT10. My brother didn’t come because he didn’t get his passport in time. DT10 was probably the best tournie we had ever been to, the journey was horrid but getting to play Captain Jack was one thing that made it worth it. Ryan did good getting 13th place and I got 17th losing to Remen and Nihonjin in the brackets. Nihonjin was an up and coming smash prodigy.

Soon after TOAST we decided it was time to host our own tournament, we had to do our bit for the community but it took much persuasion of my parents before it could happen. But we set a date For “Smash wars” on April 10th I think exactly one year after our first tournie TDI. One day in school Ryan and Craig were being idiots as usual and asking random people if they played smash and as it happened there was this tall guy called Allan who did, lol what a legend. We could tell he had a bit of Graylines and we were right as he played Samus LOL the character of dumbluck. Allan came up and trained with us for about a month before the tournie and he said he would bring a friend along called “bob”. The Smash mafia now had 5 members. Smash Wars turned out great. We ended up having about 25 people at the tournie 4 of them coming from abroad “Doraki” and “Makenshi” from France and “Helios” and “EK” from Sweden. This was a tournie full of Graylines as Ryan beat Helios in a £20 money match that wouldn’t have happened without me logging onto his account on smashboards and asking helios for a £50 one, destiny. I wont even go into all the details of Makenshis trip. lets just say that he is the French grayfox. We all did quite well in the tournie I got 4th behind Helios, EK and Doug. Ryan and Craig got 7th and Allan got 9th which was great for his first tournie. Sean got 13th with his new main Doc.

We continued to play as a crew on a Saturday known as “Smash Saturday” improving as we went while also training Allan and Sean who both never seemed to get much better. A few months went by before our next tournie which was RoS2 in Sweden. All 5 of us went to this tournie, it was great that allan could come along with us because he was a bit younger and we’d only known him for a few months, lol. It was the largest European tournie to date and it was a 5 day stay. Ryan getting cockier than ever money matched nearly everyone there including the scrubs in his own crew, although he did only use one hand…

A few months after RoS2, Bob had decided that he was going to play competitive smash with us so he came back to train with us for a while but he soon got sick of it and never bothered turning up half the time, needles to say Bob was booted, goodbye son. This wasn’t the end of new members coming into the smash mafia though. There was someone on smashboards called Flamesuzaku who Ryan had come across and he noticed he was from Perth ! It turned out that Allan knew the guy personally but had never bothered to mention him to us, we got in contact with Greig online and he came up with Allan one weekend and he has continued to train with us improving greatly all the time. He mains as Fox and he plays Yoshi too, we could see quickly that Greg has potential but that potential is still to be proven.

At this point the Smash mafia still has the 6 members and continue to train smash and travel all over the place for tournies.

Mafia 4 lyfe son

I'd also like to take this moment to say that i am quitting smash it's been fun though.

just kidding....

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS PASSED UP FIGHTING NINTENDO TEAM!!!???!?! That's the best crew name I've ever heard!!!!!!!!

I think you should have gone into more detail about the greatest moment in Ryan's life: Getting to shake Oro's hand at RoS2 (after losing a money match to him)

fantasm

Smash Apprentice
ROFL this is too good. I just about fell of my chair with the Ryan being the only kid brave enough to wear a nintendo t-shirt in Lethem bit.

Mafia 4 lyfe ^_^

ac_anon

Smash Ace
And that is our story...well their story with a small portion including me

just wait for the next chapter: The mafia take Sweden...again

fatboy1o1

Smash Rookie
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need help unlocking more people i have luigi, dr.mario, roy, marth tell me how to on lock the others

shoe

Smash Ace
By not posting in this thread, search on gamefaqs or google it or something. Good that this thread got bumped though, I love this story.

Smashbros

Smash Journeyman
LOL @ the bump, you chose the right thread to ask about unlocking characters son.

I'm gonna update this within the next couple of months and add more information to the earlier stuff too,new UK players should read this.

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
Urm, you're in the wrong forum. New Jersey is in the states.. this is a thread about the history of a UK smash crew..

J03

Smash Master
wow this thread is basically all u need 2 kno about the mafia
GMC, SDB n all other known crews should make one coz they arent half intersting ^^
i hope one day STFU is well known eough to make one tht ppl will actually read :p

(wewt on 69th post :p)

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Well, you guys have a cool name.

Me and Chooker used the name of The Poultry Mafia based on our nicknames (i used to be called Flying Duck) and a title ranking at the forums of a humour/chicken website (www.thatchickensite.com)

I call alliance.

Or something.

Mr P

Smash Ace
Ive actually been rewriting and updating this putting in a lot more information and its probably going to be a lot better since my writing skills have improved. Ill post it up once im done, i expect it to be atleast twice as long.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I was totally hoping this was going to be one of those old Smashboard fics about the Smashboards Mafia games. You disappoint me.

Mr P

Smash Ace
wow at wak... see nobody gives a **** about this thread in here, move it back to International community and stop abusing your power. Im pretty sure this thread discusses tournaments and the smash community.... its completely relevant and soon to be updated.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Wak was right, if this topic can exist at all then it should exist in here. It's a "personal essay," rather than a discussion topic relating to tournaments.

The tournament rooms have had similar topics before, but they were more centered around thanking the community or summing up the year in general.

It will take some convincing to get me to move it back... because a history of a single crew and how it relates to the Smash community is definitely a personal essay (bordering on memoir) and would just clutter up the tournament rooms.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, this only relates to the European smashers anyway, and I'm fairly sure they mainly reside in the International room. I, for one, have never been in this section before, thus I wouldn't be able to find it here.

Top Bottom