• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Hint Block: Yoshi Question and Answer Thread

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
"Yoshi is generally good on all stages, so selection really boils down to the match up. Against super campy characters, you'll want to avoid stages with low platforms (Battlefield, for example), since we struggle to approach characters under platforms." @ Delta-cod Delta-cod
Ah I see. My guide is extremely generalized, so I won't be going into matchups.
That answers my question, thank you!

Royo

Smash Rookie
Hey!I need some helpful tips for playing as yoshi(I'm really bad at controlling him) also I'm just started playing as yoshi so i got no idea of awesome combos and stuff.Thanks!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Hey!I need some helpful tips for playing as yoshi(I'm really bad at controlling him) also I'm just started playing as yoshi so i got no idea of awesome combos and stuff.Thanks!
The best tip for getting better at controlling Yoshi is just to play a ton.

For a bit more of an advanced look at some general strategies and combos, take a look at this guide: http://smashboards.com/guides/yoshis-story-survival-guide.27/

It'll be a good start, but there's always more to be found out, so feel free to ask more specific questions here!

Also, can any of the more technical Yoshis describe wavebouncing for Insomna? @ Shadó Chimera / シャドーキメラ Shadó Chimera / シャドーキメラ @ Sinister Slush Sinister Slush @ Nikes Nikes

Last edited:

InsomnaSaur

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kunze05
That's where I first found out about wavebouncing. Thanks for writing that btw, it was really helpful. I've noticed that I'm getting better and better the more I practice it but I still don't really understand the timing of the inputs. Am I suppose to be pressing everything at once or is it slightly staggered like a normal B reverse?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It's pretty much at the same time you need to do it.
The most recent post I made at the bottom to help with the wavebounce a bit more after an aerial is to flick the control stick back in the direction you're still going then doing opposite direction with Smash stick.

Man here's a question for literally everyone lol
Stick to move character is called control stick but stick to use smashes is generally cstick too, especially since it has a C on it.
Have people defaulted to calling it "Smash" stick or something else? If nothing Imma call it something gimmicky and silly myself.

AirJordans

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
haventthewit
Switch FC
SW-6898-5786-4663
yeah, I don't think it's that bad. I would never refer to the C-Stick as a control stick and especially not the other way around.

pato_

Smash Rookie
This might be a super dumb question but after seeing it in a video I just can't replicate it...how do you do the short hop - air dodge - nair thing...(does it have a name?) Yoshidora does it a lot, as I assume you all know haha, here is a link, it happens in the next second or so https://youtu.be/xqc35rOunjA?t=5m25s . The problem I'm having is I hit the ground once the dodge is over and I can't get the nair out, am I doing a shorter SH? haha or is there some kind of SH cancel? I noticed he also does it with neutral B a lot which looks like a good option as well.

and a super noob question...I also don't quite "get" what a wavebounce is....I saw the vines in the metagame thread but it just looks to me like pressing B before hitting the ground...kinda? can't I just do that with the regular B button? why should I use a claw grip or change button layout?

Thanks in advance!

pato_

Smash Rookie
Are you airdodging at the beginning of your SH? Because you need to be.
I would have said "yes" but that's probably it, so I should be short shopping and immediately after airdodging? thinking back I might have been doing it at the "top" of the short hop, I'll give it a try later today/tomorrow, thanks a lot, man

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
By how many frames was Yoshi's ledge attack sped up?

Last edited:

SundayBest

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aweber4206
3DS FC
5129-2712-1188
I have't been able to figure out this match up yet. I can't find an answer for his down-b. Post any tips you guy have.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I have't been able to figure out this match up yet. I can't find an answer for his down-b. Post any tips you guy have.
I merged this with our Q&A thread. For people's references, this was about the Sonic vs. Yoshi MU.

I recommend you look through our Sonic MU thread first, and maybe you'd be able to come up with more specific questions about it afterwards. You can discuss the MU here or there, as well.

MU thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/mu-discussion-sonic.396456/#post-18863972

ChiKn

Smash Rookie
[I moved this post cause it wasn't the right place for it]

Last edited:

Baron Omega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaronOmega
Hey guys would I be able to get advice on the best options that Yoshi can use cause I kinda feel even though I have been using Yoshi throughout all of my years of playing smash I feel its not as good or up to par with other Yoshi players from around Australia. He will always stay my main no matter what but I just feel as if there are better yoshi players out there who slaughter their brackets as if it was nothing and for some reason I don't get that with myself at all when I play him. To give people a rough Idea on how long I have been competing in smash for is about 3-4 years and I still sometimes can feel that I am not doing something right compared to what others do. I would love my own unique style but I have get past this problem that I am having atm in order to do so. Please help it would be greatly appreciated and Mighty helpful.
any advice counts and I will let you know if there is something I either know or dont know :)

many thanks,
Baron

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Hey guys would I be able to get advice on the best options that Yoshi can use cause I kinda feel even though I have been using Yoshi throughout all of my years of playing smash I feel its not as good or up to par with other Yoshi players from around Australia. He will always stay my main no matter what but I just feel as if there are better yoshi players out there who slaughter their brackets as if it was nothing and for some reason I don't get that with myself at all when I play him. To give people a rough Idea on how long I have been competing in smash for is about 3-4 years and I still sometimes can feel that I am not doing something right compared to what others do. I would love my own unique style but I have get past this problem that I am having atm in order to do so. Please help it would be greatly appreciated and Mighty helpful.
any advice counts and I will let you know if there is something I either know or dont know :)

many thanks,
Baron
Moved this post to our Question and Answer thread.

Is there anything specific to Yoshi you feel you need help with?

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
Every time I battled a skilled Yoshi I always get my butt handed to me. How do I handle Yoshi and what can I do to make the match a little easier?

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi

many thanks,
Baron
Hey man. The best way for us to help you is for you to provide vids of you playing so we can get an idea of where you're at and what you do and don't already know, otherwise we may be covering stuff you already do know. :)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Every time I battled a skilled Yoshi I always get my butt handed to me. How do I handle Yoshi and what can I do to make the match a little easier?
Merged with the Q&A thread.

To answer, I'd say that you should realize that Yoshi is generally very vulnerable when he jumps in Neutral. Aerial Yoshi is easier to deal with than grounded Yoshi.

Who are you using to fight Yoshi?

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
I was referring to just general gameplay though lately I've been using mewtwo and captain falcon. but i'll be switching around till I decide on a main

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
For Falcon, abuse your speed. Yoshi doesn't like people in his face and pressuring him. As long as you respect the Nair combo breaker, you should be safe to apply aggressive pressure. Throw hitboxes in his face, he can't get you OOS if your spacing is good.

Yoshi kinda eats Mewtwo for breakfast in my opinion. I have no advice from that angle.

Baron Omega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaronOmega
Hey man. The best way for us to help you is for you to provide vids of you playing so we can get an idea of where you're at and what you do and don't already know, otherwise we may be covering stuff you already do know. :)
Ok no worries Nikes

Moved this post to our Question and Answer thread.

Is there anything specific to Yoshi you feel you need help with?
I wouldn't honestly know exactly because realistically I have noticed with players like jei they are just as offensive in combat as I would be but then I see myself get screwed over by other people and its as if I can get a single hit in. I do notice I forget moves that I can use to exploit another persons weakness but then I forget something else entirely while working with one playstyle. sorry if this is a double post for somereason it **** itself when I put two quotes in the one post.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I wouldn't honestly know exactly because realistically I have noticed with players like jei they are just as offensive in combat as I would be but then I see myself get screwed over by other people and its as if I can get a single hit in. I do notice I forget moves that I can use to exploit another persons weakness but then I forget something else entirely while working with one playstyle.
Merged your posts. Please do not double post, use the edit function to add to your already existing post if nobody else has posted yet.

I think it might help to see some of your play, at this point. It sounds like you're being aggressive, but recklessly aggressive, which really just leaves yourself open to punishment. You need to learn what's good to attack with and when to do it, not just swing hitboxes at people all willy nilly. Smart, calculated aggression can be quite powerful.

Baron Omega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaronOmega
yeh sorry It wouldn't allow me to put two quotes in the one post it just kept on coming up as errors. normally I wouldn't of double posted but just this time SB was being a douche and thanks @ Delta-cod Delta-cod that's a way to put it I do feel I also cant play at an unpredictable level.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Playing at an unpredictable level doesn't necessarily mean playing randomly. It just means reacting to what your opponent is doing to try to stop you and changing accordingly. If something keeps working, you should keep doing it, even if it is predictable.

For example, if you hold shield every time I run at you, I will just dash grab you. If you don't stop shielding, I'll just keep doing it, no matter how predictable it is.

Now, if you start to, say, spotdodge, I'll have to do something that beats spotdodge instead. And now it becomes more a guessing game, even though it's sort of predictable that I'll either grab or try to beat spotdodge. Trying to be hard to read in cases like this doesn't mean I should do stuff like Egg Roll at you instead of picking one or two consistently good options.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Do you have the frame data for the hits between cyclone? My gut's telling me it's gonna be close. Egg Lay has 20 frames start up, so...

Egg Launch is a bit faster (and I think it's strictly better than the default), so it could possibly work...

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
I used to think that only the first and last hit gave hitstun since windboxes don't give hitstun and I had been able to hit him out of it. However it seems he has windboxes that cause hitstun (along with windboxes that don't cause hitstun lol), and they just sometimes not hit. It seems if they all hit you can't escape, and that they have a really hard time hitting of DK is moving since they are all in the middle of him(?). Also, DIing down seems to be the way to go.

Based on my testing Egg lay/Launch wont come out early enough if you're caught, but it would probably work if you jumped at him and used it.

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
Link/Toon Link vs Yoshi. how should I play the match. should I rely on projectiles or go for a rushdown approach?

Baron Omega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaronOmega
Link/Toon Link vs Yoshi. how should I play the match. should I rely on projectiles or go for a rushdown approach?
What you will commonly see in a lot of toon link players (especially good ones) will rely on camping the living **** out of their opponent before going in for that opening kill. Just approach with blocks and spot dodges till you can get close enough with an overhead down aerial. that works for me most of the time, besides also get up in their grill when u can with neutral :GCA:.

Last edited:

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
What you will commonly see in a lot of toon link players (especially good ones) will rely on camping the living **** out of their opponent before going in for that opening kill. Just approach with blocks and spot dodges till you can get close enough with an overhead down aerial. that works for me most of the time, besides also get up in their grill when u can with neutral :GCA:.
oh whoops I meant how should I play it if I'm using link or toon link. but thanks for the advice. will help if I ever pick up yoshi

Top Bottom