• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Hint Block: Yoshi Question and Answer Thread

DJlive

Smash Apprentice
I was going more for onstage edgeguards, but yes those are good options
You can do the dair on stage/or beside the edge. Battlefield is good for this. It's very safe. Tbh, most of the options I gave are pretty safe.

Last edited:

Digdug

Smash Rookie
I just wanted to thank you guys for the info. My edge guarding has gotten a lot better with yoshi over the past few days.

D

Deleted member 269706

Hey all, is there a generally agreed upon MU chart for Yoshi? I'm very curious about how he would fare as a secondary to cover bad MUs.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
There's no clear cut MU chart done, but there's some made by the Yoshi mains. Think Raptor has one but dunno on people like Wall Yika and others.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Yoshi's unusually even so it's difficult to work out and get everyone to agree. Pretty sure he has nothing better/worse than 60:40 / 40:60, with the sole exception going 70:30 against DK (DDD is arguable, I personally still see it as 60:40 but it's borderline).

I actually want to put together a speculative list, but I've never seen anyone else do it. Is this the right place for it?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Yoshi's unusually even so it's difficult to work out and get everyone to agree. Pretty sure he has nothing better/worse than 60:40 / 40:60, with the sole exception going 70:30 against DK (DDD is arguable, I personally still see it as 60:40 but it's borderline).

I actually want to put together a speculative list, but I've never seen anyone else do it. Is this the right place for it?
You would want to either put it in the social thread or in the MU discussion hub. Q&A is more for quick questions and answers, not for particularly in depth lists and discussion of them (although anything can pop up should context be appropriate).

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
So... How does Yoshi handle smart defensive play, exactly? Like, how are you supposed to take a patient Diddy's stock? I feel like waiting for the opponent to mess up isn't a great approach, but I can't think of anything else.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
You basically have to go in and shield any attempts from a Diddy dtilt or SHfairing you away and punish accordingly. Other option is chuck eggs at them till they miss a power shield to punish with an aerial of some kind to do some damage or neutral B to reset the situation since they're now stuck with limited options in the air once they pop out.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
So basically, try to force situations where your opponent has limited options? So then Yoshi seems like a pretty fundamentals-based character to me. Not a bad thing, but I can see him struggling in bracket for a number of reasons. Thanks for the answer.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So basically, try to force situations where your opponent has limited options? So then Yoshi seems like a pretty fundamentals-based character to me. Not a bad thing, but I can see him struggling in bracket for a number of reasons. Thanks for the answer.
That's precisely it. Yoshi doesn't really have a kill move in neutral, and you're gonna have a bad time trying to force it that way. This can lead to some long stocks, because you always have to try to setup your kills. Yolo fishing for Usmash will just make you lose.

This is also kinda the reason Yoshi can be difficult to win with. Sometimes you just can't set it up just right, and you just keep taking chip damage while your opponent survives to ridiculous heights. Then you lose. =/

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I'm thinking about compiling Yoshi's kill percents, should I put it into my combos thread or a new thread?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
kill % for any moves?
Wouldn't hurt. I think there was a super old list done for that back in like 1.1.4. I remember it cause our dthrow Uthrow each killed in like the 900s

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Are you just doing single moves, or thinking of including %s where moves can string into one another for a kill?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Are you just doing single moves, or thinking of including %s where moves can string into one another for a kill?
Single moves, and just the most useful ones. Finding the kill percents for throws would be kind of ridiculous.
I probably won't do kill setups any time soon, but I could add it into either the new thread or the combo thread.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Anyone who can wall him out or have a really good counter. Rosalina, Toon Link, Corrin, Cloud, Bayo are all problematic.

Ryu and Bowser are worth noting for different reasons - they can both kill us pretty early, even if we have stage advantage and momentum for 75% of the match. Not sure if either are considered favorable over Yoshi, but we do have to be very careful with them.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Does any1 use Bidou on yosh
I tried it but there isn't much that you can do with it on Yoshi. PP Utilts might be helpful, but extended dash dancing is too slow/short to do much. Also, you might accidentally Side B if you mess up and that's never good.

Prophet06

Smash Rookie
Hey, new poster to smashboards but ive been around this site for a while now. Pretty interested in Yoshi, I don't play competitively or anything just for fun but I was wondering if people use Uturn jab into upsmash? I'm pretty sure its called a uturn or something like that when you run in one direction then the other and you can slide abit. It seems a really easy way to get the jab to confirm into upsmash but I don't see anyone competitively use it on youtube or anything and I was wondering why?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hey, new poster to smashboards but ive been around this site for a while now. Pretty interested in Yoshi, I don't play competitively or anything just for fun but I was wondering if people use Uturn jab into upsmash? I'm pretty sure its called a uturn or something like that when you run in one direction then the other and you can slide abit. It seems a really easy way to get the jab to confirm into upsmash but I don't see anyone competitively use it on youtube or anything and I was wondering why?
I doubt many people use Uturns at all, let alone with Yoshi. I think it'll help with Yoshi's ground game so I'm planning on using it more, but it's one of those techniques that are generally considered niche. I also think Uturn Utilt > Uair could work.

Prophet06

Smash Rookie
I doubt many people use Uturns at all, let alone with Yoshi. I think it'll help with Yoshi's ground game so I'm planning on using it more, but it's one of those techniques that are generally considered niche. I also think Uturn Utilt > Uair could work.
Yeah I just think its so surprising, its really non-committal and it pretty much makes jab upsmash guaranteed. yeah utilt to upair is good, ive just been hating on utilt lately honestly I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but I feel like its super unsafe on block. The jab atleast feels safer and you can always just shield or shad nair out or whatever if you feel they are gunna thorw something out

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
To be honest it's not required with very little reward so it's not used by many.
PP > Bidoof
Not asking that question. Im asking about it on yoshi. Please read question before answering. I wrote that in short hand so it would be easier to read for you.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
That's partly why I asked the question. Kurogane Hammer's site (and other people) list off Yoshi's playstyle as rushdown but I feel like it isn't really like that. Sure, Yoshi can put on huge pressure, but a lot of matchups force him to play defensive rather than rushdown.
Maybe all-rounder describes it accurately but I still think it's too vague.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yoshi is bait and punish. A bit like a street fighter character where you are playing very neutral heavy and get tons of damage off conversions.
If you play rushdown you'll get a problem as soon as your opponents knows thr MU. But rushdown works well against worse and less MU experienced players.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
This question bugs me about as much as who wins the MU between Sonic and Mewtwo.
People generally say he struggles against the top tiers but has pretty even matchups against most characters, so he's usually placed on the higher end of mid tier from what I've seen

Top Bottom