• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

High Jump similar to footstool (Footstool jump missing)

iLight

Smash Lord
Ok so this is something I and at least one other person I know of have experienced. It is not limited to certain characters. When you are near someone else even when they are not really doing anything that would per say "push" you up like G&W uair, you get a jump similar to when you footstool jump someone, but it does not effect the other played in anyway. This jump causes you to go a lot higher than you normally would. Does anyone know what this is or what could be causing it?

it happens around 2:08 in this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q76er0RoeQ

better example in this one at about 57 seconds in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8H_EfefI2I

best example in this one at 30 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBe4ttTfojY

has anyone else noticed this or know what this might be?

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Uh.. I'm pretty sure that's just thier mid-air secondary jump.

-ADA-

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I've had this happen to me a lot. You try to jump once but it makes you go wayyy up there. I don't get how it happens though. -_-

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i noticed it on the 3rd vid

maybe you're not pressing the button hard enough the initial jumps or something, and you do when you get that really big jump

either that or a glitch

iLight

Smash Lord
no, i never jump that high from 1 jump, if its a glitch it sure happens alot. some would say it only happens when the opponent is on the ground but, i have had it happen while we were both in the air at least with pit

Gesi1223

Smash Apprentice
Could be like in Kirby Super Star where you can use your partner as a "footstool" to jump way higher than normal.

While it doesn't make sense, since footstool jumping is in the game it should knock the other player down, I have no way to prove that it's just the "mid-air jump"

ShadowCosmos

Smash Cadet
you think that he's doing a SH every single other time he jumps?

Maybe it's just something that they put in so that you don't get punished too much if you miss a footstool jump when trying to edge guard... who knows...

Claymore

Smash Rookie
The times I most noticed the "big jumps" were when the scenery (and the platform) were moving up or down. Metaknight's halberd blasting you off upward or downward. Lylat cruise ... cruises around a lot. It may be implemented with the physics engine to cause jumps to be different if you're "falling" or just moving in some way with the platform. I didn't really see the big jump on the yoshi stage in your link, but if it isn't caused by movement of the stage, perhaps it is a random occurrence or even something to do with the camera panning in or out.

iLight

Smash Lord
that would be really hard to know when it would happen then, but really i have not noticed it happening unless we were near each other the type of jump i'm talking about, though i have noticed some random high jumps when the stages scenery is changing as well

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Maybe its just a footstool hop barely out of range so the effect still happens but the opponent doenst feel it.

iLight

Smash Lord
maybe the other person has the "super armor" like just against the foot stool jump effects because they are doing something else at the moment when you would be footstool jumping them

yah it happened in that one too

Rakath

Smash Ace
On the third one (the Lucario vs. Pit match), Lucario probably got Footstool'd by Pit through Lucario's shield... However the shield stops Lucario's 'kicked to the ground' animation, which would explain that one anyway...

The second vid also appears to be an air footstool that was meteor cancel'd by Lucario... Same with the first one with Mario and Ike...

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
Short hop + second Jump = second jump + momentum that wasn't used in first jump?

Edit: Maybe not, possibly something interfering with the footstool jump since I don't think it happens if you are further away from the opponent.

xfootdoctor

Smash Cadet
maybe it's a footstool but when someone is shielding?

because he shields at the same time you go up :O

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
In each of those videos, the opponent was attacking or blocking in some fashion. It looks like a footstool jump that is simply blocked, out-prioritized, or negated due to super armor.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I think it could be a glitch with the footstool jump
In the 3rd video Lucario was blocking when it happened, so it could just have been a guarded footstool jump

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
They're clearly footstool jumps. Note that it only happens when the characters are overlapping, and Mario does what I assume is his footstool animation instead of his double jump animation. The only question is why the victim isn't affected. In one of them Lucario is shielding, and in another Ike is in mid-attack at the time, which could explain it, but the Lucario doesn't seem to be doing anything at the time in the second video. Maybe it's a range thing...like a phantom footstool jump or something. Or maybe some characters' footstool jumps just don't spike. In any case, the jumps themselves are definitely just caused by the footstool mechanic.

iLight

Smash Lord
i think that what it is, is that the footstool jump has a "hit box" and the person is caught in the actual footstool jump move but avoids the hitbox or blocks it or cancels it

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Just a quick question; do regular footstool jumps actually knock the victim (when standing on the ground) down? I could swear that I've seen it happen when they're merely standing, and there's no actual effect (other than an animation).

iLight

Smash Lord
i have only seen it actually knock someone over when i footstool jumped squirtle as he did his overB move and it actually left him rolling around on his back for a few seconds or so unable to stand up. But normal footstool jumps only stun the person for a moment or so

Drake3

Smash Ace
Actually, I've definitely noticed this. In the one video from a while back with all the random battles (the one that starts with Mario vs Sonic) in the second part with Zelda, she jumps practically across the stage. This is normally impossible as her jumps suck...alot.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I've noticed some AI players doing this, but haven't actually done it myself so I'm not sure at all how it's done. I assumed they were just performing footstools out of a short hop or something.

Milos

Smash Lord
remember when sonic was announced and they had those dev videos that gamespot recorded? A dev did a high jump in the Mario vs. Samus match with samus and uses it seemingly purposefully to grab the smashball. I say purposefully because had it failed samus wouldn't have been anywhere near the smash ball.

Top Bottom