• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Weird that it took this long! I'm inclined to agree with what amageish amageish said a few pages back:
That Best Buy tweet is weird. Given that the original Tweet at them doesn't acknowledge how it is a never-before-seen Joker model, part of me wonders if the PR person didn't know that and was just giving a generic meme-y response?
I'd never really looked at Best Buy's Twitter before now (shocking, I know!), but after their response to this, I've been keeping an eye on it out of curiousity. The person running it does seem to respond to a ton of stuff, with responses ranging from "That's a great game you bought!" to "What will you get when you're at Best Buy?", so it definitely seems possible that their Twitter person was just engaging with the discussion and didn't really know what people were referring to.

Then again, you'd think Nintendo would've jumped on it sooner. Odd! :p

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Are we seriously that starved that we're sitting here making **** up about how Atlus is forcing Sakurai to put Joker in Smash so he's being delayed our of necessity or spite? Come on.

Maybe it's because I've been a Persona fan for such a long time but I remember "Coming Winter 2014". If we survived that we can survive a couple weeks. Don't be ridiculous. It's a miracle this is happening at all.
He's definately sung his praise for Persona 5 in his column, he played it when it first came out. He based the Smash Ultimate menu on the menus from that game.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
He's definately sung his praise for Persona 5 in his column, he played it when it first came out. He based the Smash Ultimate menu on the menus from that game.
Yeah, I know, it was one of the few glimmers of hope this thread had before his announcement that it was even possible. I'm talking about other people making these wild conspiracy theories about how Sakurai has been....lying about being a Persona fan or something? Bizarre.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Yeah, I know, it was one of the few glimmers of hope this thread had before his announcement that it was even possible. I'm talking about other people making these wild conspiracy theories about how Sakurai has been....lying about being a Persona fan or something? Bizarre.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77382917

I just want you all to read this "leak" thread. Not for the leak itself, but for the fact that the "leaker" is claiming a few things:

1. Sakurai is irritated because Nintendo "forced" him to add Joker
  2. Sakurai doesn't actually like the Persona series, and in fact complained during his entire P5 playthrough
  3. The only Persona game Sakurai has played is P3, and even then he only played a bit of it before getting bored
Point and laugh, my friends. Point and laugh.
You talkin' about this?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Aeon's depression is slowly turning people into other Aeons.

Kamui.png

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here's a fun topic I thought of, what is your favorite personal Smash X Persona headcanon? We all have at least one.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Headcanon? From the top of my head, Bayonetta and Ann would have a dance-off immediately after meeting each other for the first time.

Who's an Ann fan?

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Cute picture!

Aside from Joker, she's my favorite Phantom Thief. She's so chill yet confident. She's quirky, compassionate, open-minded, courageous, and very determined (and perhaps a bit ditzy). Though what I like most about her is that she's so true to herself; she's an outcast that isn't afraid to speak her mind. Ann manages to be complex, relatable, and admirable simultaneously. I maxed out her social link ASAP; I thought it was cool/funny how a villainess from a children's cartoon is her inspiration for her (sex) Panther alter ego. I've only cosplayed once (as Palutena) a couple of years back, but if I had the time/motivation to do it again, I'd definitely choose to cosplay Ann (or Kat from Gravity Rush lol).

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
"Bayo is actually Joker's long-lost mother" is the usual answer, but I like it anyway.
I forgot to account for that. I think it's safe to say that ranks high on everyone's list. I am curious how this will be affected when Jane pops up.
Headcanon? From the top of my head, Bayonetta and Ann would have a dance-off immediately after meeting each other for the first time.
I imagine Ann would really look up to Bayo. The villain Ann idolized does share many traits with Bayo after all.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
First off I must apologize if my negativity the past couple of days/weeks has been rubbing off on this thread. Guess what I considered realistic just came off as being too much of a downer, that and my slightly cynical view on Atlus after all their spinoffs thus by default I saw them as using Smash as just another way to milk their Persona series dry, hence my frequent comparison to a new guest being very pushy towards a host in a party.

On the lighter note, and this may sound like a weird question: But when Joker comes, what Final Smash will you subject him to? This isn't out of spite (far from it), but the idea of seeing Joker fighting the other Smash characters (whether he's kicking ass or getting his ass kicked) complete with getting Final Smashed by them just adds more to the feeling that "OMG he's actually in Smash! He's kicking/getting his ass kicked by X character" But going back: What Final Smashes would make this thought all the more potent? XD

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
On the lighter note, and this may sound like a weird question: But when Joker comes, what Final Smash will you subject him to? This isn't out of spite (far from it), but the idea of seeing Joker fighting the other Smash characters (whether he's kicking *** or getting his *** kicked) complete with getting Final Smashed by them just adds more to the feeling that "OMG he's actually in Smash! He's kicking/getting his *** kicked by X character" But going back: What Final Smashes would make this thought all the more potent? XD
Anything on the more cinematic side, that's for sure. Joker being Omnislashed would be surreal to see.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
First off I must apologize if my negativity the past couple of days/weeks has been rubbing off on this thread. Guess what I considered realistic just came off as being too much of a downer, that and my slightly cynical view on Atlus after all their spinoffs thus by default I saw them as using Smash as just another way to milk their Persona series dry, hence my frequent comparison to a new guest being very pushy towards a host in a party.

On the lighter note, and this may sound like a weird question: But when Joker comes, what Final Smash will you subject him to? This isn't out of spite (far from it), but the idea of seeing Joker fighting the other Smash characters (whether he's kicking *** or getting his *** kicked) complete with getting Final Smashed by them just adds more to the feeling that "OMG he's actually in Smash! He's kicking/getting his *** kicked by X character" But going back: What Final Smashes would make this thought all the more potent? XD
I almost never play with final smashes, but i think it'll be funny to see joker fight in there with items and all that. This pic kinda shows a preview :p

artist: https://mobile.twitter.com/yszk_P5/status/1071313591515529216

D

Deleted member

Music that I want from Persona 5 for Smash
-Fighting Gold
-Traitors Requiem
-Vento D'oro
Okay I promise that this is my last JoJoke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Music that I want from Persona 5 for Smash
-Fighting Gold
-Traitors Requiem
-Vento D'oro
Okay I promise that this is my last JoJoke.
I wonder what the music selection is going to be for Joker's fighter pass? Atlus please allow us to have a nice variety of songs to jam out to. Either way all of the songs will be great.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wonder what the music selection is going to be for Joker's fighter pass? Atlus please allow us to have a nice variety of songs to jam out to. Either way all of the songs will be great.
Well you know that the music I sarcastically choose are JoJo music.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Here's a list off the top of my head.

Mementos (Remix)
Beneath the Mask (Remix)
Last Surprise
Life Will Change
Wake Up Get Up Get Out There
Rivers in the Desert
Will Power
The Days When My Mother Was There
Reach Out to the Truth
Time to Make History
Mass Destruction
Heartful Cry
Lost Prayer

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully it's not a Square Enix situation where they're being stingy cause unlike Square who need to pay royalties to the composers, I believe all of Persona 5's songs are in-house. Only concern would be Lyn's vocals but I don't know if that's in house too or not. If the Persona 5 content is just as bad as FF's, that would be freaking outrageous as Atlus has NO excuse unlike Square unless they're really just that protective with their current cash cow.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
"Bayo is actually Joker's long-lost mother" is the usual answer, but I like it anyway.
I wanna double-down on that with a few add-ons:
  • Bayonetta is Joker's mom as discussed.
  • Palutena and Bayonetta are referred to by some people as Kirby's moms based on the statement made by Sakurai that those two would've been the other likely fighters who could've survived Galeem's attack.
  • Pit is technically Palutena's son.
  • Ergo: Bayonetta + Palutena + Kirby + Pit + Joker = one big messed-up family.
Also, just wanna point this out and see how badly dated this can go, but it's still likely that we can get Joker within the week. False hope inbound:

Let's assume that Joker is part of a new Smash Direct - well and good and all that. Going by previous trends with regards to the bigger ones like general Directs, Smash, Pokemon, etc., they tend to be on a Wednesday or Thursday, after being announced roughly a day or two in advance. Google searches are gonna prove this easily, and even the one Direct that had to be delayed because of disasters in Japan last September still followed this. I'm writing this on April 1st, a Monday - so it's still feasible that one can still happen within the week; even putting aside the recent Best Buy render business, releasing Joker now still fulfills the main condition from February that he is gonna be playable before April ends.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Anything on the more cinematic side, that's for sure. Joker being Omnislashed would be surreal to see.
I cannot wait to see him getting Star or Screen KO'd especially if he screams in a over-dramatic fashion. It would make for one heck of a whiplash seeing him "die" in a comical manner compared to the games where him dying in-game or in story was something tragic.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
I wanna double-down on that with a few add-ons:
  • Bayonetta is Joker's mom as discussed.
  • Palutena and Bayonetta are referred to by some people as Kirby's moms based on the statement made by Sakurai that those two would've been the other likely fighters who could've survived Galeem's attack.
  • Pit is technically Palutena's son.
  • Ergo: Bayonetta + Palutena + Kirby + Pit + Joker = one big messed-up family.
Also, just wanna point this out and see how badly dated this can go, but it's still likely that we can get Joker within the week. False hope inbound:

Let's assume that Joker is part of a new Smash Direct - well and good and all that. Going by previous trends with regards to the bigger ones like general Directs, Smash, Pokemon, etc., they tend to be on a Wednesday or Thursday, after being announced roughly a day or two in advance. Google searches are gonna prove this easily, and even the one Direct that had to be delayed because of disasters in Japan last September still followed this. I'm writing this on April 1st, a Monday - so it's still feasible that one can still happen within the week; even putting aside the recent Best Buy render business, releasing Joker now still fulfills the main condition from February that he is gonna be playable before April ends.
So basically, a Direct will have to be announced by Wednesday morning, or we're not getting nothing this week?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I cannot wait to see him getting Star or Screen KO'd especially if he screams in a over-dramatic fashion. It would make for one heck of a whiplash seeing him "die" in a comical manner compared to the games where him dying in-game or in story was something tragic.
Well, we already know Xander Mobus/Jun Fukuyama are pretty good at dramatic, loud voices.

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
P5S has been moved to dedicated servers, announcement incoming?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
https://p5s.jp/

P5S has been confirmed to have information coming this month.

EDIT: Nobody's posted, so I have to add this intel here. There's apparently a "calling card" hidden in this website, and when translated, it reads: "We will show you new Phantom Thieves that will overturn the world's cognition and perceptions. We are vigorous with voices that seek satisfaction."

inb4 announcement of announcement part 2

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Well, we already know Xander Mobus/Jun Fukuyama are pretty good at dramatic, loud voices.
I know this kind of situation happens somewhat frequently, but I wonder if most voice actors are prepared for the time they may have to talk to themselves for a game/movie/cartoon/etc., or if it often catches them off guard. Think any voice actors get the giggles and need multiple takes to get the line(s) right? It's funny to imagine Xander having to declare "JOKER!", then probably saying a quote or voice clip in response to his announcing of the character he plays. As well as him announcing his own victory, again probably accompanied by quotes.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

EDIT: Nobody's posted, so I have to add this intel here. There's apparently a "calling card" hidden in this website, and when translated, it reads: "We will show you new Phantom Thieves that will overturn the world's cognition and perceptions. We are vigorous with voices that seek satisfaction."

New Phantom Thieves in another "P5"-branded game?

I... am out of speculation lol. There are too many ways P5S and P5R could go at this point - like, these "new Phantom Thieves" could just be the old ones but now they play tennis...

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Before I make yet another "Atlus are evil, greedy and stingy a-holes who are forcing Nintendo/Sakurai to delay Joker's release and are also using Joker's Smash inclusion as nothing more than another part of their P5 milking train" comment, I got to wonder: Was the wait for Mewtwo just as bad as this? Granted comparing the two is impossible as one is a 1st party returning veteran while another is a 3rd party newcomer along with being the current face of a 3rd party's cash cow, but I want to know if there really IS some behind the scene difficulties when it comes to Atlus. Have they ever been the kind to be incredibly hands-on with their IPs specifically Persona?

This goes back again to the possible idea that some of Joker's alts are possibly the new girl despite her game not being out yet ala what happened with Roy and Corrin. However unlike them, Joker's solely a 3rd party.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Before I make yet another "Atlus are evil, greedy and stingy a-holes who are forcing Nintendo/Sakurai to delay Joker's release and are also using Joker's Smash inclusion as nothing more than another part of their P5 milking train" comment, I got to wonder: Was the wait for Mewtwo just as bad as this? Granted comparing the two is impossible as one is a 1st party returning veteran while another is a 3rd party newcomer along with being the current face of a 3rd party's cash cow, but I want to know if there really IS some behind the scene difficulties when it comes to Atlus. Have they ever been the kind to be incredibly hands-on with their IPs specifically Persona?

This goes back again to the possible idea that some of Joker's alts are possibly the new girl despite her game not being out yet ala what happened with Roy and Corrin. However unlike them, Joker's solely a 3rd party.
I went and checked and it was around 5 months between being announced as DLC (50 fact extravaganza) and having his release date revealed (4.1.2015 Direct) and a further 3-4 weeks before becoming available (April 28 2015)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Surprise! I have an avatar now. Didn't see that coming, didja?

So basically, a Direct will have to be announced by Wednesday morning, or we're not getting nothing this week?
It could be next week, at most.

New Phantom Thieves in another "P5"-branded game?

I... am out of speculation lol. There are too many ways P5S and P5R could go at this point - like, these "new Phantom Thieves" could just be the old ones but now they play tennis...
Nah man, they'll fly over the city to shoot at things.

I know this kind of situation happens somewhat frequently, but I wonder if most voice actors are prepared for the time they may have to talk to themselves for a game/movie/cartoon/etc., or if it often catches them off guard. Think any voice actors get the giggles and need multiple takes to get the line(s) right? It's funny to imagine Xander having to declare "JOKER!", then probably saying a quote or voice clip in response to his announcing of the character he plays. As well as him announcing his own victory, again probably accompanied by quotes.
Scott McNeil is a master of this, seeing as he once carried a Beast Wars episode with most of the screentime essentially arguing with himself. So it's a matter of experience, like anything else.

This is probably a little less common in Japan (since voice range tends to be more limited), but does happen, most notably when Murrue and Natarle in Gundam SEED had the same seiyuu, and managed to have a convo with each other.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey people, I was at high school without my phone so I couldn’t catch up to every news.

Is a Direct seemingly possible this week or the next one? Or the talk is about Persona 5 The Royal alone and not Nintendo-related?

foto1000

Smash Rookie
For anyone wondering, it's some commenting in the page's source on the lines 38-44.
At least in firefox you can get there using the context menu. Not sure about other browsers.

p5s.jp said:
<!--【予告状】-->
<!--2019年4月25日。-->
<!--世界の認知を覆す、新たな怪盗団をお見せしよう。-->
<!--我々は会心を求む声に躍動する。-->
<!--今一度、両国国技館にて諸君の心を頂戴する。-->

<!--心の怪盗団より-->

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman

I'm going to guess this is a Switch port of the game, and that "new Phantom Thieves" is referring to players who will be playing it for the first time. I remembered this rumor from a while back that said as much, and the same person also said we'd get the port's reveal before May - while I'm not sure how credible this person is, it lines up with a late April announcement, so that's what my guess is for now.

Seems most likely, then, that Joker will join Smash around that point, with P5R being the 24th and P5S being the 25th! Ah, well, I can handle one more month. :p

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nope. Just look at how many crossovers, merchandise and media adaptations Persona's been in. ATLUS is pretty lax with Persona, as long as it's not about spoilers.

It's more like the situation of Gekkos in Shadow Moses Island and Yoshi's Crafted World alt. By no means an alt is comparable to a playable character.

I still don't know why you are trying so hard to find an evidence on ATLUS being malevolent, even when you claim you aren't making an accusation post.

Top Bottom