• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
If it's a sports game or whatever other genre out there then it's official: Atlus has officially jumped the shark when it comes to their Persona milking. And people here wonder why I have such a pre-conceived notion about them no matter how baseless it is.
If they continue to make good games, why should it matter?

Like, are the rhythm games or the fighting games or the Etrian Odyssey concept crossover games objectively necessary? No, but they're well-made and enjoyable. It's clear that people put effort into making them--the dancing games even have a different actor for every character doing motion-capture, when they probably could have gotten away with just animating it normally without anyone complaining.

I don't think they're really "milking" it unless they start producing low-quality games, which they haven't been doing and I don't see any reason to assume that P5S is going to be the start of it.

Plus, it's not like spin-offs are uniquely ATLUS. Heck, if we're talking companies that keep on making their IPs try out new genres, then I think Nintendo takes the cake. Obviously there are the Mario spin-offs that sell almost as well as the original property, but things like Kirby are given bazillions of titles as well--given Pinball Land, Dream Course, Avalanche, Block Ball, Tilt 'n Tumble, Air Ride, Canvas Curse, Mass Attack, Rainbow Curse, ad Battle Royale... And, like, the entire concept of Smash Brothers is "Hey, we have a bunch of successful IPs! Let's put them together!" which is arguably milking IPs as well.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If it's a sports game or whatever other genre out there then it's official: Atlus has officially jumped the shark when it comes to their Persona milking. And people here wonder why I have such a pre-conceived notion about them no matter how baseless it is.
Shut up dude spinoffs are fun

Oh no a company is giving me more ways to enjoy characters and worlds I like in a genre I really enjoy such as rhythm! It's a ****ing tragedy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Spin-offs are good.
I love Crash Team Racing, and that game is a spin-off.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If they continue to make good games, why should it matter?

Like, are the rhythm games or the fighting games or the Etrian Odyssey concept crossover games objectively necessary? No, but they're well-made and enjoyable. It's clear that people put effort into making them--the dancing games even have a different actor for every character doing motion-capture, when they probably could have gotten away with just animating it normally without anyone complaining.

I don't think they're really "milking" it unless they start producing low-quality games, which they haven't been doing and I don't see any reason to assume that P5S is going to be the start of it.

Plus, it's not like spin-offs are uniquely ATLUS. Heck, if we're talking companies that keep on making their IPs try out new genres, then I think Nintendo takes the cake. Obviously there are the Mario spin-offs that sell almost as well as the original property, but things like Kirby are given bazillions of titles as well--given Pinball Land, Dream Course, Avalanche, Block Ball, Tilt 'n Tumble, Air Ride, Canvas Curse, Mass Attack, Rainbow Curse, ad Battle Royale... And, like, the entire concept of Smash Brothers is "Hey, we have a bunch of successful IPs! Let's put them together!" which is arguably milking IPs as well.
As long as it's not gosh-darned micro-transaction games. ugh.

Spin-offs are great. I think there should be more so long as they're fun. :)
(and so long as it doesnt take too many resources away from the main games).

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I love parody names like that. I one day aspire to be a game dev, and I have a fighting game concept on the back burner of my brain (And a couple open office documents) where Ideally I'd love to make the name an amalgamate of past fighting game titles and words. Something along the lines of Super Street Kombat Cross Caliber II: Turbo Deluxe Edition: Definitive Edition: Return of the Demon Lord: Featuring Dante from Devil May Cry. Okay maybe not that verbose, cut it down to just 5 notable words referencing other games, but you get the idea. Though actually doing a Star Wars scrawl esque title across the front of the case for a hypothetical definitive edition would be kind of funny, just to go full ham and commit to the idea. Assume any would be future installments just get more absurd in their titles.

Last edited:

lukinator1

Smash Apprentice
The other thread on Smashboards talking about Joker probably has the best chance of being right regarding his release. We're down to it likely being the 9th or the 24/25th that he's revealed & released. The 9th is the 'first calendar day' of the game; when he arrived at Sojiro's house and the 24th/25th is that concert. Both days are prime for his release.

That means, with Directs being anywhere from 2 days to 1 week before a release, we're looking at either an April 5th/April 7th direct for a 9th release or 19th/22nd Direct for a 24th/25th release for Joker.

Everybody seems to think they might drop Joker with little to no fanfare because of Piranha Plant, but the truth is that they already had given us a full gameplay trailer for the plant and talked about the Update coming, so it was likely they were going to be paired anyway. Plus, the Plant was just a 'bonus' for registering your game through My Nintendo or whatever; he was never one of the 'DLC Characters', so I don't think they ever planned on hyping him up. Joker, as well as the rest of the DLC characters to come, will all get reveal trailers for them. Joker may be the only to get a Teaser Trailer and gamplay trailer though.

That's just my belief, though. I seem to be one of the only people on the internet not expecting a full wave of 3rd party characters. I'm still of the belief that the last 2, or even 3, characters in the Fighter's Pass will be all from Nintendo 1st party properties. In fact, it may sound weird (and anger some people), but I'd say Kamek/Magikoopa's chances are fairly good since his presence in the series has only increased since originally being a basic Mario enemy. He even became a playable character in Mario Tennis Aces recently (or will be sometime this month, rather). There's a ton of Nintendo characters that can be implemented (without seeming like a 'stretch'), so to think that every character from now til the end of time will be this 'OMG really?!?!?!' inclusion is just going to start setting people up for another Grinch Leak level disappointment for some people.

EDIT: Was responding to an older post than I thought when my feed alerted me to a new post in this thread lol. With the reveal of Version 2.0.2 coming out later today, I still hold to my opinion. I don't think it'll drop today and I'm pretty confident they'll drop a gameplay trailer beforehand. I'm more than happy to be wrong though.
i really think it'll take place around/before april 15th, an honorary direct with reggie before he leaves

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Hey people, I was at high school without my phone so I couldn’t catch up to every news.

Is a Direct seemingly possible this week or the next one? Or the talk is about Persona 5 The Royal alone and not Nintendo-related?
Seemingly. Assuming we get Directs, then any incoming Wednesday or Thursday is fair game for it based on previous trends.

Also, I don't think that anyone should be surprised at all with regards to milking the hell out of Persona. Pretty foolish to think otherwise. Ain't a big conspiracy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, I think I just realised that we're dealing with this kind of situation.

I mean, it's a bit silly to not want a fave IP to get more exposure and expansion, many IPs would kill to even be noticed.

I love parody names like that. I one day aspire to be a game dev, and I have a fighting game concept on the back burner of my brain (And a couple open office documents) where Ideally I'd love to make the name an amalgamate of past fighting game titles and words. Something along the lines of Super Street Kombat Cross Caliber II: Turbo Deluxe Edition: Definitive Edition: Return of the Demon Lord: Featuring Dante from Devil May Cry. Okay maybe not that verbose, cut it down to just 5 notable words referencing other games, but you get the idea. Though actually doing a Star Wars scrawl esque title across the front of the case for a hypothetical definitive edition would be kind of funny, just to go full ham and commit to the idea. Assume any would be future installments just get more absurd in their titles.
To be a fly on the wall when the Guacamelee devs got to do something like that for the re-release of the first one (but shorter).

I mean heck, the Necrodancer crossover with Zelda has its own verbose title.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is great.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Anyway, I have another hypothetical for you all. Say a new Phantom Thieves was formed by Joker out of the Smash roster, who do you think would be in it? The guidelines I would put on this hypothetical is that you have a choice of 7 characters and you can't have more than one character per series.
  1. Pichu
  2. Luigi
  3. Zelda
  4. Samus
  5. Meta Knight
  6. Lucina
  7. Pit

amageish

Smash Master
As long as it's not gosh-darned micro-transaction games. ugh.
Okay, yeah, we don't need to talk about Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation Dx2 here... Though that does tie into our discussion of unhelpful video game names...

omething along the lines of Super Street Kombat Cross Caliber II: Turbo Deluxe Edition: Definitive Edition: Return of the Demon Lord: Featuring Dante from Devil May Cry.
I love it. 10/10. Send me it when it happens haha.

Also, I don't think that anyone should be surprised at all with regards to milking the hell out of Persona. Pretty foolish to think otherwise. Ain't a big conspiracy.
I mean, they're using the license a lot, not denying that, but they're using it well and making fun games, so why should we treat it like it is a bad thing?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The update should be live now.

This is great.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Anyway, I have another hypothetical for you all. Say a new Phantom Thieves was formed by Joker out of the Smash roster, who do you think would be in it? The guidelines I would put on this hypothetical is that you have a choice of 7 characters and you can't have more than one character per series.
  1. Pichu
  2. Luigi
  3. Zelda
  4. Samus
  5. Meta Knight
  6. Lucina
  7. Pit
Hmm, this is tricky. Let's see.

1. Peach
2. Greninja
3. Kirby
4. ROB
5. Mr. Game & Watch
6. Inkling
7. Palutena

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
I mean, they're using the license a lot, not denying that, but they're using it well and making fun games, so why should we treat it like it is a bad thing?
Oh, by no means am I calling this a bad thing. If the spin-offs are a fun time by the end of the day, then I'm all for Persona getting more eyes on itself.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
When even Best Buy is getting tired of Atlus' **** lol. Let's see how long can Atlus manage these leaks lmao.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I can't seem to find it on their website, actually. Is it possible this could be fake?

I'd like a link if possible. Why would someone just post pictures of this with no link?

EDIT: It appears from the screenshots that this is some kind of HR login website. So we have no real way to prove it's real or fake. Nice.

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Damn it, and here I was hoping it was more cases of sticking it to Atlus.
You must really have it out for them, buddy.

Oh, and just to further the chain of insanity, that same Twitter is showing that other unnannounced games are showing up on Best Buy's system.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Unless one of us here is a best buy employee, we cannot confirm if it is fake or real.

You'd have to sign in to their CoreBlue website, as shown in the images. It looks fairly real to me, however I am skeptical.

amageish

Smash Master
Oh, by no means am I calling this a bad thing. If the spin-offs are a fun time by the end of the day, then I'm all for Persona getting more eyes on itself.
Ahhh, okay! Sorry; I was just discussing it as not "milking" the series as I consider "milking" to be an inherently negative term.

Thinking this is probably fake... Can't be found by anyone else and is pretty darn suspiciously timed. The date being the PS4 date doesn't help either...

It does remind me of the mildly interesting fact that Amazon France has had Persona 1 listed for 3DS for literally years tho.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
You must really have it out for them, buddy.

Oh, and just to further the chain of insanity, that same Twitter is showing that other unnannounced games are showing up on Best Buy's system.
Until Joker finally comes out: Nothing will change up my pre-conceived notion that Atlus could possibly be insisting Nintendo hold off on revealing/releasing Joker until they make all their announcements, as well as them using Joker's Smash inclusion as nothing more than another addition to their milking train via the possible tie-in to P5R. If the former is like a new guest being pushy towards the host to do things their way, the latter is like a stage parent capitalizing on how their kid is finally in the big leagues by shoving their noses up everyone's faces.

In any case, I find it really weird that people would go to the trouble of making a fake leak like this just for 15 minutes of fame. Fighting games I can understand, but a single port?
Ah so it was really confirmed fake then? Bummer...

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Unless one of us here is a best buy employee, we cannot confirm if it is fake or real.

You'd have to sign in to their CoreBlue website, as shown in the images. It looks fairly real to me, however I am skeptical.
And it would have had to been made pretty quickly considering P5S was announced just yesterday.

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Until Joker finally comes out: Nothing will change up my pre-conceived notion that Atlus could possibly be insisting Nintendo hold off on revealing/releasing Joker until they make all their announcements, as well as them using Joker's Smash inclusion as nothing more than another addition to their milking train via the possible tie-in to P5R. If the former is like a new guest being pushy towards the host to do things their way, the latter is like a stage parent capitalizing on how their kid is finally in the big leagues by shoving their noses up everyone's faces.
These are sounding a lot like conspiracies - you're acting on no evidence other than your own pre-conceived notions. You're acting like milking Persona's a bad thing when for the most part, these spin-offs have been received very well, or did you miss the part where a very sizeable amount of people had seizures at the news that Joker was joining Smash to begin with? Where did anyone say or report that Nintendo had to bend to Atlus' whim for Smash stuff when they're not only the bigger company by a longshot but also owns the grand majority of the content in Smash because it's their game?

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Ah so it was really confirmed fake then? Bummer...
You have a lot of spite against atlus. I dont know why that is, but you're coming off as a hater. Do you try to look for the good in others and businesses? because it seems like all you do is look at what you hate and invent reasons to have something against them. It's not healthy you know.

Do you like persona?

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
These are sounding a lot like conspiracies - you're acting on no evidence other than your own pre-conceived notions. You're acting like milking Persona's a bad thing when for the most part, these spin-offs have been received very well, or did you miss the part where a very sizeable amount of people had seizures at the news that Joker was joining Smash to begin with? Where did anyone say or report that Nintendo had to bend to Atlus' whim for Smash stuff when they're not only the bigger company by a longshot but also owns the grand majority of the content in Smash because it's their game?
I am aware I am just making stuff up, partly to keep myself sane from all of Atlus' teasing. As for how Joker is used: Seeing as it's Atlus' character yeah they should have a say in how their IP is used, it's only the matter if they will be like Square Enix and be stingy about it or like Konami (cannot believe I'm commenting on them positively for once...) with Castlevania. I know people here talk about how Atlus is cool with crossovers but seeing as I am unfamiliar with said crossovers, perhaps that is why I am still going on like this.

You have a lot of spite against atlus. I dont know why that is, but you're coming off as a hater. Do you try to look for the good in others and businesses? because it seems like all you do is look at what you hate and invent reasons to have something against them. It's not healthy you know.

Do you like persona?
Yes I do like Persona, albeit not to a hardcore level which is probably why I find all these spinoff concepts to be ridiculous especially if they go beyond the dancing games and into other stuff like racing, sports, etc. etc.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Apperatly some reputal source have confirmed it was on the Best Buy system.

Also this is great.
Ha. Well, yes persona 5 switch is (or at least would be) a great thing :) And it's great timing for when joker releases to announce it soon. My only hope is that the release date isn't too far off. plz

I am aware I am just making stuff up, partly to keep myself sane from all of Atlus' teasing. As for how Joker is used: Seeing as it's Atlus' character yeah they should have a say in how their IP is used, it's only the matter if they will be like Square Enix and be stingy about it or like Konami (cannot believe I'm commenting on them positively for once...) with Castlevania. I know people here talk about how Atlus is cool with crossovers but seeing as I am unfamiliar with said crossovers, perhaps that is why I am still going on like this.
Why do you care so much about them being stingy or not? And why do you want to believe that they are?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ha. Well, yes persona 5 switch is (or at least would be) a great thing :) And it's great timing for when joker releases. My only hope is that the release date isn't too far off. plz
My big curiosity right now is that if a Switch version is big enough to get it's own announcement(As well as pre reveal abbreviation), will it have stuff unique to it? That would certainly get people interested in getting this version of the game game, especially since some might wait for P5R to come out otherwise.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My big curiosity right now is that if a Switch version is big enough to get it's own announcement(As well as pre reveal abbreviation), will it have stuff unique to it? That would certainly get people interested in getting this version of the game game, especially since some might wait for P5R to come out otherwise.
Yes, well I think a switch version is enough to be a big announcement at a concert :p People will gobble it up anyway, especially nintendo fans, but youre right that it'd be pretty awesome for something unique to that version. maybe there will be.
It makes sense to me as being p5s, and the timing twill be close to joker's release in smash.

KatKit

Smash Lord
In response to the Smash version Phantom Thief thing mentioned earlier: Obligatory Jigglypuff as the animal mascot. I mention her because (cat ears aside) like Morgana, she will force you to sleep.

Top Bottom