• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Ha. Well, yes persona 5 switch is (or at least would be) a great thing :) And it's great timing for when joker releases to announce it soon. My only hope is that the release date isn't too far off. plz

Why do you care so much about them being stingy or not? And why do you want to believe that they are?
Because them being stingy could mean the Persona content might be the bare minimum, considering how Persona is their current cash cow and they would want to be on-hands with it (much like how I see Disney being if Sora EVER gets into Smash only MUCH worse, hence why I hope he has no part in this). I'm not expecting a LOT of Persona content as I imagine it being just limited to P5 (unlike some diehard Persona fans out there...), but if it's on the same level as Final Fantasy that would suck so much especially if Joker's inclusion really was just a way for them to milk their series even further by tying it to spinoffs because instead of seeing P5 being represented in a fun manner like with the other third parties (barring Cloud), I would see nothing but a walking ad for whatever spinoff game(s) Atlus wants everyone to hear about as if saying "We're relevant! Please notice us!"

I don't trust a company who churns out spinoff after spinoff 1-2 a year, with said spinoffs having the potential to border on ridiculous (If I see a sports or racing game I will figuratively P3 myself). Yes I know they're far from the only company that does this as other companies do including Nintendo themselves but for me when I see Atlus milking Persona with all this stuff, it only makes my eyes roll that I cannot help but be cynical.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Because them being stingy could mean the Persona content might be the bare minimum, considering how Persona is their current cash cow and they would want to be on-hands with it (much like how I see Disney being if Sora EVER gets into Smash only MUCH worse, hence why I hope he has no part in this). I'm not expecting a LOT of Persona content as I imagine it being just limited to P5 (unlike some diehard Persona fans out there...), but if it's on the same level as Final Fantasy that would suck so much especially if Joker's inclusion really was just a way for them to milk their series even further by tying it to spinoffs because instead of seeing P5 being represented, I would see nothing but a walking ad for whatever spinoff game(s) Atlus wants everyone to hear about as if saying "We're relevant! Please notice us!"

I don't trust a company who churns out spinoff after spinoff 1-2 a year, with said spinoffs having the potential to border on ridiculous (If I see a sports or racing game I will figuratively P3 myself). Yes I know they're far from the only company that does this as other companies do including Nintendo themselves but for me when I see Atlus milking Persona with all this stuff, it only makes my eyes roll that I cannot help but be cynical.
Do you like persona at all? don't you think it has a lot of quality, care and effort put into making it good and entertaining?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
In response to the Smash version Phantom Thief thing mentioned earlier: Obligatory Jigglypuff as the animal mascot. I mention her because (cat ears aside) like Morgana, she will force you to sleep.
Thit is brilliant. I put Pichu on my list as a mascot just because of its relation to Pikachu, but this is 20 times better than that.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
My big curiosity right now is that if a Switch version is big enough to get it's own announcement(As well as pre reveal abbreviation), will it have stuff unique to it? That would certainly get people interested in getting this version of the game game, especially since some might wait for P5R to come out otherwise.
One idea that's been commonly spun around for unique, original, engaging content to add to a P5 Switch port is the idea of Nintendo themed Personas. I believe a fan artist did a mockup of what that might look like, entertaining a Switch P5 port that has Personas for Link, Zelda, Samus, Mewtwo, Star Fox, and other characters iirc.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Because them being stingy could mean the Persona content might be the bare minimum, considering how Persona is their current cash cow and they would want to be on-hands with it (much like how I see Disney being if Sora EVER gets into Smash only MUCH worse, hence why I hope he has no part in this). I'm not expecting a LOT of Persona content as I imagine it being just limited to P5 (unlike some diehard Persona fans out there...), but if it's on the same level as Final Fantasy that would suck so much especially if Joker's inclusion really was just a way for them to milk their series even further by tying it to spinoffs because instead of seeing P5 being represented in a fun manner like with the other third parties (barring Cloud), I would see nothing but a walking ad for whatever spinoff game(s) Atlus wants everyone to hear about as if saying "We're relevant! Please notice us!"

Hoping you get nothing instead of something you won't like 100% is what I'd call "entitled". Do you agree with the sentiment of anti-Mewtwo petitions in the Brawl era forbidding him from rejoining until he wasn't low-tier?

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Do you like persona at all? don't you think it has a lot of quality, care and effort put into making it good and entertaining?
Yes I do like Persona, just that I couldn't care less about the spinoffs that will keep churning until they finally decide to have the next installment. Yes I agree that the main games are off high quality, but not so much as the spinoffs though that's probably cause I've never played one (and likely never will).

Hoping you get nothing instead of something you won't like 100% is what I'd call "entitled". Do you agree with the sentiment of anti-Mewtwo petitions in the Brawl era forbidding him from rejoining until he wasn't low-tier?
Really? I guess that was wrong for me to say. Also I wasn't around during the Brawl era so I cannot comment further on that.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I know people here talk about how Atlus is cool with crossovers but seeing as I am unfamiliar with said crossovers, perhaps that is why I am still going on like this.
I don't really know what to do with this... I've listed a bazillion crossovers and you being unfamiliar with them just invalidates their existence? Like, I've responded to your comments about worrying about a lack of content many times and you never reacted, so I just kind of gave up and stopped...

My big curiosity right now is that if a Switch version is big enough to get it's own announcement(As well as pre reveal abbreviation), will it have stuff unique to it? That would certainly get people interested in getting this version of the game game, especially since some might wait for P5R to come out otherwise.
Yeah, that's the weird thing... Is P5S just P5 or is it an enhanced version? And then what is P5R? What is anything anymore... Is life real EarlTamm? Is it?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
One idea that's been commonly spun around for unique, original, engaging content to add to a P5 Switch port is the idea of Nintendo themed Personas. I believe a fan artist did a mockup of what that might look like, entertaining a Switch P5 port that has Personas for Link, Zelda, Samus, Mewtwo, Star Fox, and other characters iirc.
Yeah, I have seen that before. Another thing I think they could do is make a super boss with a Nintendo origin. That would geek out the Nintendo fans while also giving Persona veterans a new challenge.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes I do like Persona, just that I couldn't care less about the spinoffs that will keep churning until they finally decide to have the next installment. Yes I agree that the main games are off high quality, but not so much as the spinoffs though that's probably cause I've never played one (and likely never will).
So why not focus on the main series and let others enjoy the spinoffs?

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I don't really know what to do with this... I've listed a bazillion crossovers and you being unfamiliar with them just invalidates their existence? Like, I've responded to your comments about worrying about a lack of content many times and you never reacted, so I just kind of gave up and stopped...

Yeah, that's the weird thing... Is P5S just P5 or is it an enhanced version? And then what is P5R? What is anything anymore... Is life real EarlTamm? Is it?
Sorry, it's kind off hard to get lost amidst my rambling. Will look back into the previous pages with your posts just to get the idea.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice

Let's point this out: Cloud and Final Fantasy are an anomaly within the context of other third-parties in Smash. Every other major IP holder and franchises currently in the game has a much healthier stretch of representation, like remixes, Spirits, Assist Trophies and even two of them getting more than 1 fighter. If you specifically look at the Sega franchises - especially since Joker should be classified as one since they own Atlus now, they do pretty well for themselves. Also, consider this - why would Sega/Atlus want to hold back and be stingy on this especially given that this is their current "cash-cow" in your words? This wouldn't paint them in a positive light, and you can't compare this to how Cloud got shafted given that Joker is still a very active character in the modern context - he's still getting games and such, whereas Cloud hasn't been in much in the past few years beyond Dissidia.

You're also still accusing Atlus of wanting to be a walking ad, but what exactly is the issue in trying to keeping fans interested in more Persona? You - and nobody else for that matter, including myself - can't accuse Joker of being just there for promotion given that we know nothing about him. You're in the dark as much as we are, and posting conspiracy after conspiracy about how this is all just a plot for Atlus to take our money away doesn't help anybody on this board or site at all.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think life is real, it just can be real weird sometimes. I am sure we will find out at least part of uts nature when it is announced, as Atlus would likely give a little tease about this version.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Back to that sports speculation, it occurs to me Mario Strikers Charged is probably the closest in style to a Persona game, when things get flashy at least.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Let's point this out: Cloud and Final Fantasy are an anomaly within the context of other third-parties in Smash. Every other major IP holder and franchises currently in the game has a much healthier stretch of representation, like remixes, Spirits, Assist Trophies and even two of them getting more than 1 fighter. If you specifically look at the Sega franchises - especially since Joker should be classified as one since they own Atlus now, they do pretty well for themselves. Also, consider this - why would Sega/Atlus want to hold back and be stingy on this especially given that this is their current "cash-cow" in your words? This wouldn't paint them in a positive light, and you can't compare this to how Cloud got shafted given that Joker is still a very active character in the modern context - he's still getting games and such, whereas Cloud hasn't been in much in the past few years beyond Dissidia.

You're also still accusing Atlus of wanting to be a walking ad, but what exactly is the issue in trying to keeping fans interested in more Persona? You - and nobody else for that matter, including myself - can't accuse Joker of being just there for promotion given that we know nothing about him. You're in the dark as much as we are, and posting conspiracy after conspiracy about how this is all just a plot for Atlus to take our money away doesn't help anybody on this board or site at all.
I guess it's cause when I think of something being a "cash cow" I either see the company milking it out for every last drop (if it's their own work), or being SO protective of it that they want to manage everything about it (if in another).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I guess it's cause when I think of something being a "cash cow" I either see the company milking it out for every last drop (if it's their own work), or being SO protective of it that they want to manage everything about it (if in another).
I see, so you have trouble seeing the range in between, like companies that milk titles but make good games that people enjoy instead of lessening quality just to get something out, etc.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Why are y'all saying the P5 Best buy leak is fake? I've been following it on discord and Leakers and former Best buy employees alike are saying it couldn't have been faked. Some are also saying that the titles usually pop up 24 to 48 hours before pre orders go live, suggesting a direct very soon. The consensus is that it's legit.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
oh my god dude persona 5 came out two years ago you're not getting a sixth installment for years if ever

persona 5 is in and of itself the final third of a primary-color-themed trilogy in p3, p4, and p5

take it from a longtime fan of the series you're not promised anything and if anything the fact that we are actually getting spinoffs is in and of itself a goddamn miracle and cool as hell to actual fans of the series when persona 4 took four years to get any kind of direct follow-up in Arena

more ways and methods in which to enjoy a game is only a good thing

KatKit

Smash Lord
I've only skimmed through the "Atlus milking Persona" convo, but as a fan of a less popular yet equally text-heavy JRPG with fantastic music/world building/gameplay as Persona, I will say this: I wish The Kiseki series (Trails in the Sky/Trails of Zero/Trails of Cold Steel) got to make spin-offs. Their games take so long to make/translate, but are arguably some of the best in the genre. Like Persona, they leave fans wanting more. Unlike Persona, however, we aren't mainstream and don't have a bunch of high quality spin-offs in different genre, or enhanced ports that make it overseas, and we definitely won't make it in Smash in any capacity any time soon. So, between each installment of Kiseki games is a long wait (so long in fact, that some never make it overseas), and nothing to bring new fans to the series except shameless word of mouth promos like this one. If you're fortunate enough to have and promote spin-offs and whatnot, why not? Especially if it's all good stuff like Persona. Also, as an anime fighting game enthusiast, P4A is what got me into Persona, and I preferred it over the main entry for quite some time lol.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I see, so you have trouble seeing the range in between, like companies that milk titles but make good games that people enjoy instead of lessening quality just to get something out, etc.
Yeah that is likely the issue with me and atm I see Atlus' milking as the latter, mainly cause I have yet to actually play a spin-off game myself. If I ever get a hold of one such as the P5 dancing game maybe my mind may change or at least soften up on my pre-conceived notions.

amageish

Smash Master
Sorry, it's kind off hard to get lost amidst my rambling. Will look back into the previous pages with your posts just to get the idea.
You don't need to apologize for it! It's fine; I just feel like a broken record sometimes haha.

Why are y'all saying the P5 Best buy leak is fake? I've been following it on discord and Leakers and former Best buy employees alike are saying it couldn't have been faked. Some are also saying that the titles usually pop up 24 to 48 hours before pre orders go live, suggesting a direct very soon. The consensus is that it's legit.
Sorry; that was my gut reaction. This seems much more liable given that, though that implies that this is Persona 5 on Switch but isn't P5S?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah that is likely the issue with me and atm I see Atlus' milking as the latter, mainly cause I have yet to actually play a spin-off game myself. If I ever get a hold of one such as the P5 dancing game maybe my mind may change or at least soften up on my pre-conceived notions.
have you ever considered that maybe it's a dumb ass thing to do to go into a thread full of fans of a series and talk about games you haven't actually played

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
oh my god dude persona 5 came out two years ago you're not getting a sixth installment for years if ever

persona 5 is in and of itself the final third of a primary-color-themed trilogy in p3, p4, and p5

take it from a longtime fan of the series you're not promised anything and if anything the fact that we are actually getting spinoffs is in and of itself a goddamn miracle and cool as hell to actual fans of the series when persona 4 took four years to get any kind of direct follow-up in Arena

I get that spinoffs are more ways for people to enjoy a main installment, but I feel like there's a fine line between maintaining the original spirit and leaving them a dry husk of its former self. In the case of the P5 train: Considering that there is many, many more spinoffs to come until P6 finally comes; who knows how long it will take before it loses its appeal for me.

have you ever considered that maybe it's a dumb *** thing to do to go into a thread full of fans of a series and talk about games you haven't actually played
In hindsight, after hearing everything here: Yeah...I guess it is dumb of me.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I get that spinoffs are more ways for people to enjoy a main installment, but I feel like there's a fine line between maintaining the original spirit and leaving them a dry husk of its former self. In the case of the P5 train: Considering that there is many, many more spinoffs to come until P6 finally comes; who knows how long it will take before it loses its appeal for me.
I do get that! There are some bad spin-offs in existence, but I found that Persona is remarkably good at keeping up their spirit. I mean...

P4DAN literally has a full story mode about the nature of truth, ending with you defeating an intervenionist Japanese god representing humanity's desire to lie about their feelings for social acceptance (you defeat it by dancing).

If that is not the spirit of Persona 4, but with more dancing, then I don't know what is lol.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
I get that spinoffs are more ways for people to enjoy a main installment, but I feel like there's a fine line between maintaining the original spirit and leaving them a dry husk of its former self.
In what way do any of the current spin-offs bastardize the reputation of the mainline games? None of them do.

I'll admit that the rhythm games aren't my style, but I don't think that should detract from how well-produced they are. Ditto for the Arena games, which are up my alley as a fighting game fan. Don't be quick to judge the stuff you haven't fully experienced for yourself; that in and of itself isn't fair to not just the series itself, but to the fans who did give it its fair shake and loved/hated it afterwards.

EDIT: One last thing I wanna point out is that the new update today only added in Amiibo support, making it extremely unlikely that they'd drop in one more between now and the day those come out (April 12 for Y. Link, Daisy and Ken). It's still possible in theory, but unlikely all the same. How does this affect Joker? Patches don't usually come out within mere days of each other, and while this was never fully confirmed in the last Direct, the implication is that Joker should be alongside 3.0.0.

Given the various Best Buy leaks that happened recently, it's still likely that we could get a Nintendo Direct soon assuming that Ninty themselves were going to be the ones that announced most of those titles and such. Typing this on Tuesday night, so the last chance this week for a Direct is if we get an announcement around 10 or so hours from now. If Smash does get addressed there, I wouldn't expect Joker to get dropped right after, as much as I wanted it to happen. At best, it's likely we'd get a final date, but this is all just speculation.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Given the various Best Buy leaks that happened recently, it's still likely that we could get a Nintendo Direct soon assuming that Ninty themselves were going to be the ones that announced most of those titles and such. Typing this on Tuesday night, so the last chance this week for a Direct is if we get an announcement around 10 or so hours from now. If Smash does get addressed there, I wouldn't expect Joker to get dropped right after, as much as I wanted it to happen. At best, it's likely we'd get a final date, but this is all just speculation.
Agreed. It is worth noting that the render leak did still call Joker an "upcoming" character, so it is possible we'll get his render without him being out right away...

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. It is worth noting that the render leak did still call Joker an "upcoming" character, so it is possible we'll get his render without him being out right away...
Definitely a possibility, I'm really hoping for a release on the same day though...

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, here's something I've been meaning to ask: Given how Joker's dagger seems to be prominent in his art, and other detractors (albeit a far smaller number than other past characters) have joked (teehee) that Joker will be a swordie with his big knife, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being not worried at all, 10 being very concerned this will happen, how worried are you Joker's moveset will be too dagger centric and make him come off as an anime sword swinger? I would argue it would only take a few moves to make the jump into oversaturation. If we assume that he has four very cool, flashy, entirely unique specials, worst case scenario is a Joker with dagger moves encompassing all his smashes, tilts, and aerials. Not that might sound a little crazy, but I would argue even if just a few too many of any of those moves involved the dagger, it'd be easy to decry Joker as a generic anime sword boy.

It's probably worth noting I have not had the honor of playing P5 yet, so I can't weigh in one way or the other, but I would like to hear fans of P5 and their thoughts on this idea.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So, here's something I've been meaning to ask: Given how Joker's dagger seems to be prominent in his art, and other detractors (albeit a far smaller number than other past characters) have joked (teehee) that Joker will be a swordie with his big knife, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being not worried at all, 10 being very concerned this will happen, how worried are you Joker's moveset will be too dagger centric and make him come off as an anime sword swinger? I would argue it would only take a few moves to make the jump into oversaturation. If we assume that he has four very cool, flashy, entirely unique specials, worst case scenario is a Joker with dagger moves encompassing all his smashes, tilts, and aerials. Not that might sound a little crazy, but I would argue even if just a few too many of any of those moves involved the dagger, it'd be easy to decry Joker as a generic anime sword boy.

It's probably worth noting I have not had the honor of playing P5 yet, so I can't weigh in one way or the other, but I would like to hear fans of P% and their thoughts on this idea.
I don't mind sword characters, but giving Joker any more than 1 or 2 dagger moves total would be a waste. He only has one dagger attack in P5 and there's practically infinite things they could do with Personas for any of his moves. This is a game where you fight by summoning creatures to attack your enemies and Smash should reflect that.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind sword characters, but giving Joker any more than 1 or 2 dagger moves total would be a waste. He only has one dagger attack in P5 and there's practically infinite things they could do with Personas for any of his moves. This is a game where you fight by summoning creatures to attack your enemies and Smash should reflect that.
Considering that Reggie emphasized that they want to give players the "opportunity to summon a Persona in the game" back when Joker was revealed in the Game Awards, I'm sure that means they have an idea of what P5 fans want to see Joker do even if his Persona may just be limited to Arsene. There's also Sakurai understanding how the game goes since he's a huge fan of it.

osby

Smash Obsessed

It's probably worth noting I have not had the honor of playing P5 yet, so I can't weigh in one way or the other, but I would like to hear fans of P5 and their thoughts on this idea.
I stopped paying attention to complaints starting with "anime" long time ago. I'd be fine as long as he shows personality in his moves.

amageish

Smash Master

It's probably worth noting I have not had the honor of playing P5 yet, so I can't weigh in one way or the other, but I would like to hear fans of P% and their thoughts on this idea.
I wouldn't be shocked if he had some of the generic anime swordsperson tropes (part of me, unfortunately, does expect him to have a counter down-special), but I honestly don't worry much about him having too much dagger. He's a persona character; I doubt Sakurai would forget to feature his personas.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

I'm mean hell, if you were to not include spin offs for the primary color Persona games (not including Persona 1 and Persona 2 because, like JoJo, most people only really remember 3 and onwards) then the release schedule for the games would looks something akin to this:
  • Persona 3: July 13, 2006
  • Persona 4: July 10, 2008
  • Persona 5: September 15, 2016
That's a 2 year gap between 3 and 4 and an 8 year gap between 4 and 5. Only reason that doesn't feel as long is due to the spinoffs and enhanced ports of previous games to the point that the gap between the most recent Persona spinoff at the time (Persona 4 Dancing) and Persona 5 was just over a year.

If I had to take a guess, the Dagger would probably be used for Jab Combo (maybe not jab infinite), Tilts, and some Aerials (that don't involve the gun or persona) while the Persona and Gun would be used for Specials, Smash attacks, the rest of the Aerials, and Grabs/Throws; then again, they could surprise us.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Figured I would share some art of a confidant for a change of pace.

Edit: Wow, I didn't realize that this was not a new post. I always miss the retweet symbol on an artist's own account. No matter, it's still good art.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Best Buy is owned by a huge amount of Persona fans and they want to please the other fans around the world.

Top Bottom