• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I thought it was Best Buy, not GameStop.
Then I don’t know.
Maybe the person who said Gamestop was referring to something unrelated meant to be posted somewhere else... Or said the wrong store.
It was early morning, a ***** is allowed to make mistakes

like Akechi being a thing was a mistake...cause **** him

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
So I was just gonna rest for a while and go check on the stream but i fell asleep. :O

I took a look at the vods and didnt even see anything persona-related. Did they not stream it? The mini-concert, the voice actors, etc.
I'm not sure what happened lol. I do know there was a long puyo puyo tournament :p
Lyn sang some stuff. They did play the P5R teaser again and Morgana's VA had a lot to say on it, but nothing newsworthy.

Here's the vod if you're interested.

Anyone else thinking it's happening this week?
Given how Best Buy has a render for him, I'd be shocked if we didn't get a render and gameplay this week at least.

If it's in a direct and he does have a female alt, then I imagine they'll just say something like "Two Jokers?!?! Who is this person?!?! Well, you'll have to stay tuned to find out!".

C-G

Smash Journeyman
We won't see anything this week. Not until we get more info on P5R. It's been said before, but Atlus isn't going to let Nintendo show off Female Joker outfit before they do

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The lack of news is starting to get to me.. uhhhhhhghh..

the joker render wasnt enough... nintendo.. nintendo..

maybe the pic's a little too dramatic ;p

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
We won't see anything this week. Not until we get more info on P5R. It's been said before, but Atlus isn't going to let Nintendo show off Female Joker outfit before they do
I doubt they'd give retailers renders for promotional purposes 25 days in advance... This combined with the "Approaching..." ad makes it seem pretty darn likely we'll be seeing more of him prior to the 24th.

Like, it's possible that they'll just show a gameplay trailer and only show default-costume Joker to hide the FeMC, but I'd be shocked if Best Buy got their hands on his render almost a month before it is supposed to be public, unless Nintendo ****ed up by sending it super early and Best Buy also ****ed up by showing it early...

I mean, it's not even down yet. If it was a giant month-in-advance mistake, then you'd expect it to be removed by now.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
The lack of news is starting to get to me.. uhhhhhhghh..

the joker render wasnt enough... nintendo.. nintendo..

maybe the pic's a little too dramatic ;p
Yeah, you don't use this pic when you're feeling a little unsatisfied with the lack of news from Nintendo, you use it when you've lost all of your friends, your kingdom, and all your Divine Beasts and Guardians, to Calamity Ganon, and you feel as if you're partly responsible for all that. ;p

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I doubt they'd give retailers renders for promotional purposes 25 days in advance... This combined with the "Approaching..." ad makes it seem pretty darn likely we'll be seeing more of him prior to the 24th.

Like, it's possible that they'll just show a gameplay trailer and only show default-costume Joker to hide the FeMC, but I'd be shocked if Best Buy got their hands on his render almost a month before it is supposed to be public, unless Nintendo ****ed up by sending it super early and Best Buy also ****ed up by showing it early...

I mean, it's not even down yet. If it was a giant month-in-advance mistake, then you'd expect it to be removed by now.
That's actually kind of wierding me out. Why hasn't it been taken down yet? Surely Nintendo cares about a legit leak. I mean there's no way it's fake. But still, it's just odd.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I mean, given Ice Climbers, they seem to have learned how to make them thematically shaped at least. I dunno how they'll make that work out for Joker though...

Also, for those watching SEGA FES, it's always nice to see Lyn perform live...
And Ridley had the cool shockwave around him. By all means, if they can add thematially cool visual props to the Amiibo, perhaps something in the visual flare of P5, I'd love to see it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If Joker's really coming this week the we gotta fill up some pages fast. We're so close to 100. We need to hit the mark before the direct.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, you don't use this pic when you're feeling a little unsatisfied with the lack of news from Nintendo, you use it when you've lost all of your friends, your kingdom, and all your Divine Beasts and Guardians, to Calamity Ganon, and you feel as if you're partly responsible for all that. ;p
I guess the losing your kingdom part pushes it a little too much.
You just cant be safe in being overdramatic nowadays. it's so hard.

That's actually kind of wierding me out. Why hasn't it been taken down yet? Surely Nintendo cares about a legit leak. I mean there's no way it's fake. But still, it's just odd.
It's possible they dont care about them using it?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I guess the losing your kingdom part pushes it a little too much.
You just cant be safe in being overdramatic nowadays. it's so hard.

It's possible they dont care about them using it?
I can only imagine that if the render is getting shown off in a couple days anyway. Nintendo always takes down leaks. And surely they know about it by now.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's a CSS render to be honest. I was looking at it and the art style doesn't match up IMO. The clothing is too detailed. Which is not to say that Character Images aren't detailed at all (just look to the borders), but the render is using lines on Joker's jacket to emulate movement. Conversely, other characters with clothing lack this amount of linework, even when trying to emulate motion. Nintendo wants the artwork to match the models while remaining clear and cartoony.

As for being official artwork at a retailer......I mean the ad is right under their Pokemon Sword and Shield one and their ad is featuring a game case with the logos printed on as a stand in. They don't need an in game render to sell this stuff.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't think it's a CSS render to be honest. I was looking at it and the art style doesn't match up IMO. The clothing is too detailed. Which is not to say that Character Images aren't detailed at all (just look to the borders), but the render is using lines on Joker's jacket to emulate movement. Conversely, other characters with clothing lack this amount of linework, even when trying to emulate motion. Nintendo wants the artwork to match the models while remaining clear and cartoony.

As for being official artwork at a retailer......I mean the ad is right under their Pokemon Sword and Shield one and their ad is featuring a game case with the logos printed on as a stand in. They don't need an in game render to sell this stuff.
So where did the render come from? It's not an existing one. Are you suggesting Best Buy created that detailed render just for an add on their website?

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
So where did the render come from? It's not an existing one. Are you suggesting GameStop created that detailed render just for an add on their website?
Best Buy, not GameStop.

They probably got it from Nintendo. It's just not an in-game render, just an advertising image Nintendo has for them to use.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
I keep saying GameStop instead of Best Buy lmao.

So you're saying it's a leak, but it's not his render? What the hell is it then?
It's not a leak. Just artwork Nintendo set aside for the sake of promotion that they let Best Buy have.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's not a leak. Just artwork Nintendo set aside for the sake of promotion that they let Best Buy have.
Why would Nintendo do that? Why waste resources on detailed artwork to send to retailers when they could just use the render?

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Why would Nintendo do that? Why waste resources on detailed artwork to send to retailers when they could just use the render?
Can't really say, since I don't work there.

Two reasons come to mind. First, they might not have the render ready when they want to start advertising, so they may make up artwork for the purposes of advertising. Decisions like this are likely to be made months in advance, to make sure they don't run into last minute troubles.

Second, they may want to intentionally avoid using in-game material in such a way. If one piece of artwork is widely known as 'the right one' then the others seem fake by comparison, which can reflect negatively on the company that uses the image.

This is speculation of course, but speculating is what we're all doing right now anyways, so whatever. Both of these reasons seem redundant, but when it comes to internal stuff like this, you tend to prefer being thorough and having backups to your backups so stuff doesn't go wrong

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Of course, of course. Far too much detail. After all...

59 - tzvvuU3.png

No other render

22 - aWYDx33.png

is very detailed

64 - obQaeKH.png

at all.
main.png

Nope, not a one.

25 - ZJvFFt7.png

Can't think of a single example.

30 - 1WRbWX2.png

Truly, not a single render has even close to the level of detail Joker's does.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Can't really say, since I don't work there.

Two reasons come to mind. First, they might not have the render ready when they want to start advertising, so they may make up artwork for the purposes of advertising. Decisions like this are likely to be made months in advance, to make sure they don't run into last minute troubles.

Second, they may want to intentionally avoid using in-game material in such a way. If one piece of artwork is widely known as 'the right one' then the others seem fake by comparison, which can reflect negatively on the company that uses the image.

This is speculation of course, but speculating is what we're all doing right now anyways, so whatever. Both of these reasons seem redundant, but when it comes to internal stuff like this, you tend to prefer being thorough and having backups to your backups so stuff doesn't go wrong
What would be the point of that? If they didn't have the render ready, why would they make an entirely new one to advertise with? That would take far longer than just... finishing the real one?

amageish

Smash Master
And Ridley had the cool shockwave around him. By all means, if they can add thematially cool visual props to the Amiibo, perhaps something in the visual flare of P5, I'd love to see it.
Yeah... Maybe it'll have some black motion-blur-thing to mimic how he looks when using sneaking between places? If that makes sense?

There are other Smash renders that emulate motion? I agree that Joker is more detailed then some other characters, but that's kind of an effect of his design. I wouldn't describe the art of, say, Bayonetta, as any more "clear and cartoony" then Joker's...

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dunno, any way i look at it it just looks a little different than the usual models. It's not just the amount of creases, it's just all together.
It's possible it's just a store version they changed a bit to advertise the amiibo too once there's one, i dunno. it could also just be me XD
But that's just how i feel when i see it.

amageish

Smash Master
I dunno, any way i look at it it just looks a little different than the usual models. It's not just the amount of creases, it's just all together.
It's possible it's just a store version they changed a bit to advertise the amiibo too once there's one, i dunno. it could also just be me XD
But that's just how i feel when i see it.

I think it's just compressed? We don't have the full high-quality file, but instead have a smaller image photoshopped into an ad.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Of course, of course. Far too much detail. After all...

View attachment 203101
No other render

View attachment 203103
is very detailed

View attachment 203104
at all.
View attachment 203105
Nope, not a one.

View attachment 203108
Can't think of a single example.

View attachment 203109
Truly, not a single render has even close to the level of detail Joker's does.
You know, that's not even what I was saying, but let's use these examples for what I was saying. Each of these have effects like ruffling clothes in the wind, or fading in appropriate areas for design, but as I said they are all very (I don't know the word.......pure? solid?) colors without a lot of detail IN them. Instead, they use a mixing of different colors instead of differing line work.
What would be the point of that? If they didn't have the render ready, why would they make an entirely new one to advertise with? That would take far longer than just... finishing the real one?
As I said, it was likely done at the same time, instead of doing one and then the other. Imagine that they're coming up with different poses for the CSS and only one is accepted. This is a good place to re-use the renders that didn't make the cut

This is kind of what I was getting at initially.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it's just compressed? We don't have the full high-quality file, but instead have a smaller image photoshopped into an ad.
No i took a look for fun at how the other renders look as smaller images and it still doesnt compare. It might also be a thing with lighting.
Anyway, we can talk back about it again once we see the higher quality render :p

Last edited:

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Its kinda throwing me off how everyone is calling this a "render". When I think render I think of a 3d rendered image, like something taken from inside the game. This is clearly an amibo statue. But the "design" looks cool.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Its kinda throwing me off how everyone is calling this a "render". When I think render I think of a 3d rendered image, like something taken from inside the game. This is clearly an amibo statue. But the "design" looks cool.
It really looks like an amiibo doesnt it? :p

I do think it's possible for it to be a 3d image. That's just not what my brain is telling me tho ;p

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm with team something looks weird. Not necessarily agreeing with C-G here, but the coat does look very intricate comparatively. While bearing in mind the assumption that this is a shrunk, photoshopped version of the final model, I'm inclined to compare the realism of the coat and all the crease lines and lighting to the ugly Brawl-esque realism, whereas I kind of hoped Smash Joker would remain with a lot of solid colors and be cel-shaded, to imitated the raw style and pop the Persona series seems to have. To be fair, that could still happen; we haven't seen any gameplay or moves, but that's my initial impression when looking at this model and assuming it's the Smash render.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
How about we compare it to what we have seen of Joker model?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Remember that renders and in-game models don't have to match. Just compare Simon's hair in two.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Yeah, the Smash render, specifically Joker’s coat, looks very realistic with all those creases. Especially compared to other characters that don’t even go on that level despite having lots of details on their clothing or appearance.

Especially compared to Joker’s in game model where
we see very little and more solid colors.

Either this could be a very experimental and earlier render. Or the team was trigger happy and decided to work extra hard on Joker.

It’s probably the latter though. I guess the coat makes it possible to give the extra oomph.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Remember that renders and in-game models don't have to match. Just compare Simon's hair in two.
K.Rool’s render also features minor details absent in the in-game model (like some tiny scars around specific parts of the body).

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention that clothing shifting as the character does in the way showcased in that ad would be a freaking NIGHTMARE to program.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Am I the only one who is getting "uncanny valley" vibes from Joker's render? By the way, that render is way too detailed to be an amiibo figure.

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one who is getting "uncanny valley" vibes from Joker's render? By the way, that render is way too detailed to be an amiibo figure.
While I don’t have those vibes, I am sure that you aren’t the only one.
Someone else probably thinks similar to you.

amageish

Smash Master
Not to mention that clothing shifting as the character does in the way showcased in that ad would be a freaking NIGHTMARE to program.
I don't think anyone is suggesting he'll actually look like that in-game. As others have pointed out, the CSS models do not always reflect the in-game models 1:1.

Top Bottom