• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Literally nothing of note.

Aka:
  • Lots of VR games nobody really cared about.
  • A really good Mortal Kombat 11 trailer.
Also, I doubt Atlus is behind anything behind why we have no Joker or whatever. It's ultimately Nintendo's say since it's their game and Joker/Persona/Atlus is just a small part of it.
I'm sure there is some kind of contract involved that gives Atlus some power in it since Sakurai is using an unanounced character from them. And I don't know why that's considered a bad thing. It seems pretty reasonable to me.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
TBF there's also that mini-concert. Also, I'm just going to chalk that up to being a Japanese thing. Either way, not expecting anything substantial of note later.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
In general, I'm not surprised it's been so long without news. As said before, it takes 6 months for a character and December-April is 5 months. There is no evidence to suggest ATLUS slowed down the process - in fact, we know it was Nintendo who asked to reveal it at the TGAs well in advance...

As for the "Approaching" thing, I assume it's a change as it is almost April? "Approaching: April" would be kind of odd when it is April... It doesn't strike me as evidence of a delay...
Yeah I can only hope it's just Nintendo/Sakurai prioritizing quality to make showcasing Joker, 3.0 and the possible next DLC char that much worth it.

I'm sure there is some kind of contract involved that gives Atlus some power in it since Sakurai is using an unanounced character from them. And I don't know why that's considered a bad thing. It seems pretty reasonable to me.
My main gripe mainly is the implications that Atlus decided to use Joker's Smash presence as partly just an advertisment stunt for their spinoffs when Joker himself would have been advertising enough for Persona 5 (especially if it does come to the Switch). Now there is a possible female alt that hasn't been shown elslewhere, and perhaps Atlus possibly being stingy/secretive of what P5 content they would allow in Smash if they think it might hurt their IP's image or something. Persona is currently their cash cow, who knows how sensitive they are of how it's represented in other works much like in Smash.

Not familiar with their other crossover collaborations so perhaps what I said could just be faulty logic again.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
TBF there's also that mini-concert. Also, I'm just going to chalk that up to being a Japanese thing. Either way, not expecting anything substantial of note later.
True. Lyn also sang in the closing ceromonies last year, so if they plan on doing that again, then I suppose its easiest for her if her two singing events are back-to-back.

Yeah I can only hope it's just Nintendo/Sakurai prioritizing quality to make showcasing Joker, 3.0 and the possible next DLC char that much worth it.
Agreed! It's been a while, but good things take time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Still glad about knowing all of this before-hand.
I really appreciate to know this.

True. Lyn also sang in the closing ceromonies last year, so if they plan on doing that again, then I suppose its easiest for her if her two singing events are back-to-back.

Agreed! It's been a while, but good things take time.
Yup.
You need to work as much as you can to give the best possible results from your part.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Within that context, it isn't bad - obviously, Atlus has to have some say since it's their character and properties mixed in.

Actually, memory needs to be refreshed. What was the Jane leak again?

D

Deleted member

Within that context, it isn't bad - obviously, Atlus has to have some say since it's their character and properties mixed in.

I don't remember well either.
Maybe the one about the code mentioning a ponytail or something?

D

Deleted member

I'm starting to get impatient for Joker. It'll be 5 months by the time we even get a trailer.
I'm getting impatient too...
Don't get me wrong! I am more than happy to see the impossible happen! I just... wish that we could see how he plays.
But when he does come out, I will more than happy to play as him.

Honestly I don't see the missing word equating to it not being April at all. They may have changed it simply because it's basically April already, so saying "Coming April 2019" is awkward when that's the month we're in. Did they ever give us an idea of when in April 3.0 is planned to be out?
Honestly, I don't think that removal of "April 2019" means he got delayed. With the addition of an ellipsis, it seems to me that Joker is coming very soon... but we don't have a tangible date for him.

D

Deleted member

I'm getting impatient too...
Don't get me wrong! I am more than happy to see the impossible happen! I just... wish that we could see how he plays.
But when he does come out, I will more than happy to play as him.

Honestly, I don't think that removal of "April 2019" means he got delayed. With the addition of an ellipsis, it seems to me that Joker is coming very soon... but we don't have a tangible date for him.
We will probably see the gameplay at last during an April Direct.

One is pretty likely due to the whole thing about Directs happening sometime after a Nindies presentation in general.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman

Yeah I get that Atlus obviously should have a say on how Joker and P5 is represented in Smash, but I worry if that makes Atlus think they can insist that Nintendo do things their way when it comes to Joker's reveal (especially if they used it to advertise P5R). It also makes me wonder if they're just as stingy as Square Enix thus Joker may only get the bare minimum content considering Atlus is far from done with milking P5 with concerts, events, etc.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I get that Atlus obviously should have a say on how Joker and P5 is represented in Smash, but I worry if that makes Atlus think they can insist that Nintendo do things their way when it comes to Joker's reveal (especially if they used it to advertise P5R). It also makes me wonder if they're just as stingy as Square Enix thus Joker may only get the bare minimum content considering Atlus is far from done with milking P5 with concerts, events, etc.
Nah.
At worst, they just don't want to reveal stuff about the character seen on the trailers of Persona 5 The Royal too soon.

D

Deleted member

Would Atlus really hold Nintendo over what (at this point) is just an alt?
That's why I said it with a grain of salt.

They could just easily hide it as a surprise for Joker's release if the alt is such a huge deal.

I am going to kill my phone right now too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
If this new girl IS "Jane" and is a Joker alt, I wonder why Atlus would want to put a reference to her in Smash then when her own game isn't out yet. I get that the same happened with Roy and (to an extent) Corrin, but those two are first parties. Was there nothing wrong with just having Joker on his own, with Persona 5 content being based on what's been established now?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If this new girl IS "Jane" and is a Joker alt, I wonder why Atlus would want to put a reference to her in Smash then when her own game isn't out yet. I get that the same happened with Roy and (to an extent) Corrin, but those two are first parties. Was there nothing wrong with just having Joker on his own, with Persona 5 content being based on what's been established now?
Because it is a cool little treat that I am sure Sakurai would love to work with, considering his love of P5.

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, there isn't anything wrong with it, but if there is another Joker-esque female character, then what is the harm with including her? I mean, Smash fans obviously like their female alts, given Robin, Corrin, and Pokemon Trainer's popularity. Plus, third-party DLC characters have historically had pretty major alternate costumes, given Bayonetta and Cloud. Ryu lacked one in Sm4sh, but he gained an echo in Ultimate. So, Joker wouldn't be unique from that perspective.

D

Deleted member

I mean, there isn't anything wrong with it, but if there is another Joker-esque female character, then what is the harm with including her? I mean, Smash fans obviously like their female alts, given Robin, Corrin, and Pokemon Trainer's popularity. Plus, third-party DLC characters have historically had pretty major alternate costumes, given Bayonetta and Cloud. Ryu lacked one in Sm4sh, but he gained an echo in Ultimate. So, Joker wouldn't be unique from that perspective.
Because it is a cool little treat that I am sure Sakurai would love to work with, considering his love of P5.
Add to that the fact that DLC characters tend to get alternative amiibo based on their alts.
Which is also a great bonus, if you ask me.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
IMO this isn't that much worse than having a Woolly World stage. For an example of a third-party, we had the Gekkos and the Love Theme showing up even before MGS4 got released - nevermind Shadow Moses Island basically foreshadows MGS4's fourth act.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Would Atlus really hold Nintendo over what (at this point) is just an alt?
There's nothing wrong with promotion. Jane will likely be promotion for p5r. But at the same time we get a female character that can play like joker as well as her being set in smash so that when we do get around to playing p5r we'll have her there.. That's not a ****in bad trade at all.

Aeon keeps saying the same stuff over and over like a broken record, worrying about atlus somehow imposing themselves on a big company like nintendo, which is ridiculous. As if Atlus and Nintendo arent grown up businesses who can make mutually beneficial decisions.

So anyway, enough of that. (i hope)

The general sega stream should pick up in 2 hours. I wonder if there'll be someting worth watching.

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, curious about this. Trying a date's gonna be hard, so I'll tweak it: what week are you guys personally expecting Joker to drop? Not just get a trailer, I mean him actually becoming playable.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Anyway, curious about this. Trying a date's gonna be hard, so I'll tweak it: what week are you guys personally expecting Joker to drop? Not just get a trailer, I mean him actually becoming playable.
I'd bet week 3 of April. Possibly on the weekend between 3 & 4.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
There's nothing wrong with promotion. Jane will likely be promotion for p5r. But at the same time we get a female character that can play like joker as well as her being set in smash so that when we do get around to playing p5r we'll have her there.. That's not a ****in bad trade at all.

Aeon keeps saying the same stuff over and over like a broken record, worrying about atlus somehow imposing themselves on a big company like nintendo, which is ridiculous. As if Atlus and Nintendo arent grown up businesses who can make mutually beneficial decisions.

So anyway, enough of that. (i hope)

The general sega stream should pick up in 2 hours. I wonder if there'll be someting worth watching.
Will sadly be out of the house around that time. Hopefully when I come back, I come back for some exciting news or something.

It happened with Square Enix, so I can still see Atlus doing the same even IF I know that Square Enix is a way bigger name. It's mainly about the worries about songs unless that's no problem for Persona since their songs are in-house as opposed to Square who need to pay royalties to its composers.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Might as well share the optimistically brave prediction I just drummed up.
  • We get some kind of announcement for April Fool's Day either tomorrow (AFD in Japan) or the day after (in the West) - it'll be for a Smash Direct for either Wednesday or Thursday next week. (APRIL FOOLS JOKES WITH JOKER OF THE FOOL ARCANA IT MAKES SENSE GUYS)
  • Joker + Mementos + Mii Costumes of Phantom Thieves and others + Stage Builder + Home Run Contest + Spirits + DLC 2.
  • Ends with the announcement that Joker drops that same day.
Gotta go all or nothing on this.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Might as well share the optimistically brave prediction I just drummed up.
  • We get some kind of announcement for April Fool's Day either tomorrow (AFD in Japan) or the day after (in the West) - it'll be for a Smash Direct for either Wednesday or Thursday next week. (APRIL FOOLS JOKES WITH JOKER OF THE FOOL ARCANA IT MAKES SENSE GUYS)
  • Joker + Mementos + Mii Costumes of Phantom Thieves and others + Stage Builder + Home Run Contest + Spirits + DLC 2.
  • Ends with the announcement that Joker drops that same day.
Gotta go all or nothing on this.

If you want to go for all, then make add jane to the mix somewhere ;)
That's a pretty short timeline lol but ok let's say there could be announcements either before the direct or they dont show all of joker's costumes for the direct and it's a surprise later. Personally I'd like to see jane before the direct, but hey we're hopin' and ultimately im sure things will be fine however they happen to be. I'm gonna try to enjoy what we see and hopefully it'll be sooner than later XD

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I'll probably be asleep for the whole thing, but I'll probably know if anything comes up if I open up Reddit and one of the top threads is Smash or Persona news

lukinator1

Smash Apprentice
the april fools joke is that they were never working on joker at all and the whole thing's cancelled

osby

Smash Obsessed
It wouldn't be a first, Snake also brought content from his upcoming game in Brawl.

Requesting a delay for an announcement isn't being stingy. ATLUS is a small company and they need money from spin-offs and merchandise to make big games. There's no reason for them to be stingy.

Also, please stop with baseless fear mongering. Your "what ifs" are just accusations with question marks attached at this point.

amageish

Smash Master
So, uh, I just got the "Approaching: April" version of the Joker ad in front of a YouTube video. They're not being super consistent about this...

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
So, uh, I just got the "Approaching: April" version of the Joker ad in front of a YouTube video. They're not being super consistent about this...
They aren't. The video ads I'm seeing on Facebook are still using the April version, but the stream from the tournament has the supposed current version everyone is flipping out over.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hey y'all thought I'd drop by to show you all the first look of Joker in the game.

Enjoy!

Edit::ultgreninja: Greninja'd :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Hey y'all thought I'd drop by to show you all the first look of Joker in the game.

Enjoy!

Edit::ultgreninja: Greninja'd :ultgreninja:
Is that supposed to be Joker's Render? Certainly looks the part - but it's kinda funny to see him outside the Persona 5 engine. I guess it's still hard to believe it's truly happening - Persona entering the big-time games with Joker in Smash Ultimate...

Either way - It certainly looks professional enough to possibly be Joker's final render for the game.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
So it looks like something was found on Best Buy's website
Well. That's an oops.

Definitely makes me think he'll be here sooner rather then later though, if retailers have access to his render. Maybe they'll pull a "Wow. He also has a female alternate. Wonder who that is? Stayed tuned to find out!" Given how he is shown in a weekly flier, I'd expect him within the week.

Also, while I love the render, not hyped for the amiibo given the feet placement...

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Well. That's an oops.

Definitely makes me think he'll be here sooner rather then later though, if retailers have access to his render. Maybe they'll pull a "Wow. He also has a female alternate. Wonder who that is? Stayed tuned to find out!" Given how he is shown in a weekly flier, I'd expect him within the week.

Also, while I love the render, not hyped for the amiibo given the feet placement...
Ooo, yikes. Yeah, we should probably be prepared for ugly plastic leg stands, huh?

amageish

Smash Master
Ooo, yikes. Yeah, we should probably be prepared for ugly plastic leg stands, huh?
I mean, given Ice Climbers, they seem to have learned how to make them thematically shaped at least. I dunno how they'll make that work out for Joker though...

Also, for those watching SEGA FES, it's always nice to see Lyn perform live...

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
So they change the approaching text, and now we have a render...

What next, a direct announcement tomorrow?

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
So they change the approaching text, and now we have a render...

What next, a direct announcement tomorrow?
Just wanna point out one crucial part of that Joker render leak: it was in a WEEKLY AD meant for this upcoming one - March 31st to April 6. Assuming that no shenanigans happen, we only need to wait for roughly 6 days maximum for Joker.

Joker's finally gonna be in Smash, guys. What is this timeline.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Damn if that IS Joker's official render, it looks good. Hopefully this does mean that he is on the way fairly soon.

Top Bottom