• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
I kinda like the idea of joker being fast but having short range (because dagger)and relies on his persona to space and set up into his fast dagger combos. And arsene cancomes envelop him for some moves like some tilts/smash attacks to add range? I dunno I'm just kinda spitballin here.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm sure the Plant will sort of equalize as time goes on. Considering how massive the balance of this game is, new character might be a little bit weird on release. Nothing broken, just that they need a little time with the community.
Yeah I hope so. It just shook my confidence a little in the team's initial assessment of it :p
Bayo an sheik are other examples of them taking an overly cautious approach so that they aren't op, and going a little too far. It's not a bad approach if they keep patching them up tho. It's nice seeing different characters in tourneys at least, i guess.

I'll try to focus in another way tho, and just hope that it's only a little wonky at first. The game isn't only about the competitive side either, so i wanna enjoy the characters in any case too.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Can we at least agree that only a handful of FE reps have anything gimmicky at all? Otherwise, at least three of their unique reps are nothing special (and one of those started out as a clone).

If you don't count Corrin (which is likely), then that makes Robin the only unique FE rep with a gimmick.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Can we at least agree that only a handful of FE reps have anything gimmicky at all? Otherwise, at least three of their unique reps are nothing special.

If you don't count Corrin (which is likely), then that makes Robin the only unique FE rep with a gimmick.
I dunno it's pretty unique for FE to have 4 clone characters XD

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Unique =/= gimmicky. A character can be unlike all the others and not have a gimmick. Only characters in smash I'd consider gimmicky are Robin, Shulk, Rosalina, and Smash 4 Palutena because of the custom moves. To a certain extent Inkling, but not as much. These characters all have extra things going on that others don't, be it extra gauges, extra moves, or other extra attributes they have to keep track of. That's what a gimmick is. Having long range on melee attacks or a counter that powers you up is just unique.

Edit: forgot about Ryu and Ken with their extra inputs.

Edit 2: You have to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise every character is gimmicky. Link has a shield that blocks projectiles. Is he a gimicky character? Mario is the only one with a move that turns his opponent around. Does that make him gimmicky?
My definition of gimmick goes like this.
"If it's a unique element of the character that has an influence on the characters playstyle and I can sell a person on playing the character because of it, its a gimmick."

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
This thread's really active today. Kind of an off topic question but do you guys think they'll show off p5r after the ova or would they wait until sega fes?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think Sheik was a huge victim of Ultimates overall gameplay changes.
Well back-air and neutral-air damage was severely nerfed. Bouncing fish knockback too.
Other than that, they intentionally didn't change up sheik like they did the others. So I would say it's still the team's doing.

This thread's really active today. Kind of an off topic question but do you guys think they'll show off p5r after the ova or would they wait until sega fes?
Both? Smaller reveal and then more info at sega fes. Just my guess. :)

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Oh, so that's what this is about. I think the severity in which rules are applied depend on the board. Not sure if what he did was advertising, but if so that honestly is a different kettle of fish, since ads are frowned upon more.

If it is two people that are outright being hostile, then yes it's intrusive. Otherwise, not too much to be concerned about unless one of the parties feels that it's getting too silly and moves on to something else/closes the thread.
Even it's in good fun, it can be annoying to others. With the other forum, we get information regularly. Now let's say this information is bookended by two people having a long drawn out conversation. This can go on for several pages. Now someone comes in, sees all the activity and thinks 'oh boy, some new news' and see it's just two dudes talking about something else entirely, often off topic because of the nature of conversation (it started on topic and got very off topic as the conversation goes on). Now if they want to see if there's anything new they have to dig through pages of a back and forth looking for the info. Or if they have the website saved, they might be getting alerts that constantly annoy them.

It's just good etiquette to keep off-topic to a minimum, regardless of the rules.

Which is what this is now, so I'll be going back to Joker.

I'm just hoping they do well to make the dagger animations unique from swords. I'm expecting multi-hitting slashes and hoping Joker is fluid as he attacks, rather than stationary.

amageish

Smash Master
To be clear, it's a special being aired. The OVA isn't out until the Blu-Ray is out, AFAIK.

I bet they'll show a very very very very very very very vague teaser of the enhanced edition. Like, if they're adding a new Aeon confidant, you see their design and nothing else. If they're adding a FeMC, show her design off and nothing else. Then do a bit of a deeper dive at FES and reveal an actual gameplay trailer at the concert in April (alongside the announcement of some random spin-off game in some random genre nobody expected).

That said, I also believe the more recent rumor that P5S is the enhanced edition and that "P5R" is just going to be the hub for a bunch of persona projects, given how the teaser said "stay tuned for more projects" plural.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Even it's in good fun, it can be annoying to others. With the other forum, we get information regularly. Now let's say this information is bookended by two people having a long drawn out conversation. This can go on for several pages. Now someone comes in, sees all the activity and thinks 'oh boy, some new news' and see it's just two dudes talking about something else entirely, often off topic because of the nature of conversation (it started on topic and got very off topic as the conversation goes on). Now if they want to see if there's anything new they have to dig through pages of a back and forth looking for the info. Or if they have the website saved, they might be getting alerts that constantly annoy them.

It's just good etiquette to keep off-topic to a minimum, regardless of the rules.

I'm just hoping they do well to make the dagger animations unique from swords. I'm expecting multi-hitting slashes and hoping Joker is fluid as he attacks, rather than stationary.
I remember thinking like that in the past. It can take a while to get used to freer discussion.

It's a site for discussion, not news, so i think people just gotta suck it up with regards to that. However, I do think it'd be nice to have some way to tag or sideline info that people might want to see to catch up. This doesnt exist but it would help a lot of people wondering what's been talked about that they possibly missed. (if it's significant or w/e)

To be clear, it's a special being aired. The OVA isn't out until the Blu-Ray is out, AFAIK.

I bet they'll show a very very very very very very very vague teaser of the enhanced edition. Like, if they're adding a new Aeon confidant, you see their design and nothing else. If they're adding a FeMC, show her design off and nothing else. Then do a bit of a deeper dive at FES and reveal an actual gameplay trailer at the concert in April (alongside the announcement of some random spin-off game in some random genre nobody expected).

That said, I also believe the more recent rumor that P5S is the enhanced edition and that "P5R" is just going to be the hub for a bunch of persona projects, given how the teaser said "stay tuned for more projects" plural.
P5S? Is that the same as P5U that was talked about, or different?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Right, let's just agree to disagree, I'm sorry but I'm not prepared to pursue my inquiry any further, this is getting too silly.

I hope the neutral dagger attack isn't yanking :ultmetaknight:'s and calling it a day, at least.

I remember thinking like that in the past. It can take a while to get used to freer discussion.

It's a site for discussion, not news, so i think people just gotta suck it up with regards to that. However, I do think it'd be nice to have some way to tag or sideline info that people might want to see to catch up. This doesnt exist but it would help a lot of people wondering what's been talked about that they possibly missed.

Yeah, there's been some people who weren't able to catch up on recent events, because the Ultimate general just goes too damn fast at times.

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman

Whoops my bad, I meant the special not the ova.

amageish

Smash Master
There are a bunch of random things trademarked and registered. P5R and P5U are the oldest ones, with P5S, P5M, and P5B all being more recent.

P5U is almost definitely Persona 5 Arena, as Persona 4 Arena was called Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena (P4U for short) in Japan. We have no idea what any of the others are, though various industry insiders have claimed P5R and P5S to be an enhanced port of P5 for PS4 and/or Switch over the past months.

Whoops my bad, I meant the special not the ova.
It's an easy mistake to be made. Just didn't want anyone to get too excited for the OVA, as that won't just be adapting the existent game storyline.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just realized, we might get some Persona 5 X Smash art if it's anything like the Smash 4 DLC characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I prefer when I hear him go MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's the biggest thing I'm looking forward to, Xander Mobus basically fighting himself.

I just realized, we might get some Persona 5 X Smash art if it's anything like the Smash 4 DLC characters.
Ahh, if only. So far there's some Twitter accounts compensating for that.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Holy crap that's a lot of versions, lol.
Yep! I mean, one assumes only one of them is a Persona 5 enhanced version, with the other 4 being either project plans or spin-off titles. But that does imply we're getting some more spin-offs beyond Persona 5 Arena - so you can probably come up with any genre and there is a non-zero chance we're getting a spin-off in it.

Can't wait for the Persona 5 F2P MOBA, which includes all of the characters from every Persona game (even including 1/2 when they run out of characters) fighting in a dreamlike pocket-dimension beyond time and space over which Velvet Room attendant has the best chocolate chip cookie recipe!

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm fine with gimmicks as long as they're warranted. Persona break would be fine, but I'm not a fan of a Robin style SP limiter. That should only be for characters with super strong specials, but Robin's specials are average. Levin sword needed it, but elwind is one of the lesser recoveries, Nosferatu is rarely useful, arcfire is basically just pk fire, and thunder is already limited by charging. Only thoron warranted any extra limitation. I have little faith that an SP mechanic would be any better.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm fine with gimmicks as long as they're warranted. Persona break would be fine, but I'm not a fan of a Robin style SP limiter. That should only be for characters with super strong specials, but Robin's specials are average. Levin sword needed it, but elwind is one of the lesser recoveries, Nosferatu is rarely useful, arcfire is basically just pk fire, and thunder is already limited by charging. Only thoron warranted any extra limitation. I have little faith that an SP mechanic would be any better.
So what if the Persona(s) is of adequate power that it would require such a limiter?

C-G

Smash Journeyman
You know what's weird?

Everyone was talking about SP for the gimmick for Joker, yet as far as I could tell no one mentioned the actual gimmick one would expect from a Persona game: Weak Points

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nosferatu is useful because landing with an aerial isn't always safe, so it's a good mixup when they want to block it and punish.
Also few charges means being able to throw the book more often :)
I do agree that arcfire wouldn't deserve it, they made it slow enough that it's already balanced on its own. (maybe even too slow :/)

Im not a fan of sp/mp systems unless they're done well, for it to not just be about conserving (cuz then it just means not being able to use as many skills).
Anyway, I wouldnt expect it for joker.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know what's weird?

Everyone was talking about SP for the gimmick for Joker, yet as far as I could tell no one mentioned the actual gimmick one would expect from a Persona game: Weak Points
Because Brawl Pokemon Trainer.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Nosferatu is useful because landing with an aerial isn't always safe, so it's a good mixup when they want to block it and punish.
Also few charges means being able to throw the book more often :)
I do agree that arcfire wouldn't deserve it, they made it slow enough that it's already balanced on its own. (maybe even too slow :/)

Im not a fan of sp/mp systems unless they're done well, for it to not just be about conserving (cuz then it just means not being able to use as many skills).
Anyway, I wouldnt expect it for joker.
Nosferatu is usable, but not nearly strong enough to require a recharge period as a limiter. And for a recovery to go away for a period of time is absolutely awful. It should have to be the best recovery in the game for that. I don't want to deal with that with Joker. I think they should be outrageously strong like the Levin sword if they require SP. But even if they are, I don't want to deal with losing my recovery.

amageish

Smash Master
I don't think that's what he was referring to (because of adding 'brawl')
The Brawl Pokemon Trainer had a weakness mechanic that everyone hated and was removed for Ultimate. Given its reception, it seems unlikely they'd try to do it again.

Top Bottom