• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it's a given he'll be a very athletic fighter. I can see him casting spells with Arsene for smash attacks and specials but that's it.
Yeh I'm hoping on that. Really curious for how they'll use the personas. Athletic and magic? yes please

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
They did add back the fireball dash attack, but that's it. I mean, kirby isn't the only one i think they could update the moveset for. but oh well.

Speaking of movesets, I really want to know how joker plays. In my mind i can only picture a mix of sheik and bayonetta, but really I know it'll be different. I just hope it's fun :)
I really want him to focus on persona attacks. As few regular attacks as possible. The only moves he does himself are the three hit knife combo and the gun. It'd be so cool if almost all of his moves involved a persona.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I really want him to focus on persona attacks. As few regular attacks as possible. The only moves he does himself are the three hit knife combo and the gun. It'd be so cool if almost all of his moves involved a persona.
I think realistically it'll be like osby osby said. Fast moves like jab and tilts are more likely to just be melee attacks. Maybe a few other ones like back air could have a persona too. I do think and hope we'll see more personas than just arsene. I have no idea how they'll include the gun tho.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't think that will be the case. His most of his melee's will very likely involve his knife.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think realistically it'll be like osby osby said. Fast moves like jab and tilts are more likely to just be melee attacks. Maybe a few other ones like back air could have a persona too. I do think and hope we'll see more personas than just arsene. I have no idea how they'll include the gun tho.
I don't think that will be the case. His most of his melee's will very likely involve his knife.
I'm sure his jab and tilts would be melee, but I'm hoping arials, smashes, and specials will all use personas. Maybe throws too. That is what the combat in persona revolves around, so it would make sense.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm sure his jab and tilts would be melee, but I'm hoping arials, smashes, and specials will all use personas. Maybe throws too. That is what the combat in persona revolves around, so it would make sense.
I dont know what kind of moves from the game they'd use for that, but so long as they're fast I have no problem with it, especially that persona hits would probably have large hitboxes :)

D

Deleted member

I was wondering, how many Personas do you think Joker would use and what would those Personas be?
I can see them take the route of doing only Arsene. I can also see them doing Arsene and Jack Frost. I doubt he would use Personas from other party members (like Ryuji's Captain Kidd or Makoto's Johanna) or from other protagonists (like P4's Izanagi or P3's Orpheus).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I was wondering, how many Personas do you think Joker would use and what would those Personas be?
I can see them take the route of doing only Arsene. I can also see them doing Arsene and Jack Frost. I doubt he would use Personas from other party members (like Ryuji's Captain Kidd or Makoto's Johanna) or from other protagonists (like P4's Izanagi or P3's Orpheus).
I am of the opinion that they will either do just Arsene or Arsene and Jack Frost + 1 or 2 more. I don't know what those extra Persona's would be though.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah those two are the most likely. I think it'd be nice to at least have 1 or 2 more. Maybe pixie. And then there's so many to choose from. maybe a powerful one.

amageish

Smash Master
With regards to the debate on DQ and Persona getting more/less representation, I imagine they'll try to give all DLC characters the same amount of content. It's just a question of licensing to decide if it is practical.

I feel like Arsene and Jack Frost are virtually guaranteed. Additionally, Alice is pretty iconic and makes a lot of sense to me. I also wouldn't be surprised if Pixie showed up given how she's also super reoccuring and often turns up as a sort of secondary ATLUS mascot (appearing in Puzzles + Dragons alongside Jack Frost, being playable in Jack Bros in spite of not being a Jack, etc.).

Beyond that, there was a poll in Japan about the most popular SMT demons last year that could be consulted... Of the top 10, Mara, Alice, Cu Chulainn, Decarabia, and Beelzebub are all in Persona 5 as personas Joker can summon.

If they wanted to have a metric tonne of personae, then I'd think it'd be cool to use the special personas you gain the ability to fuse after maxxing out a confidant. It'd be a really neat and obscure way to reference the social elements of P5, but also I doubt they'd do it unless he almost exclusively summons persona as his attacks.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
My guess is just Arsene. But if they do more than one, I'd guess Arsene, Jack Frost, Alice, and Yo****sune. Those are probably the most popular ones aside from Mara, who wouldn't be able to make an appearance in a rated E10 game.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
People people, just cause Sakurai loves the heck out of Persona does not mean it will automatically have a **** ton of references. Like the Square example: It is still dependent on licensing issues or if ATLUS is willing to play ball.

See this is what I mean by over entitlement because what is going to happen if Sakurai does not bring in literally every single Persona track, Spirits or echos/free fighters? You will bet there will be some backlash from some unsavory group. See this is what I mean by how I sometimes think Persona fans can be s bit too spoiled.

M4NIAC

Smash Rookie
Now that PQ2 is finally confirmed to be released on the 3DS, I can finally make this thread!

Joker is the cunning and stylish leader of the Phantom Thieves from Persona 5. While Persona itself has made minimal appearances on Nintendo consoles, Persona is only a part of the very expansive Megami Tensei series, with the core Megami Tensei games having a huge prominence on Nintendo consoles and most recent titles appearing exclusively on Nintendo. You might argue why not have a Megami Tensei character then? And to answer that, Persona 5 has hit massive success, having sold two million copies massively outselling the most recent Shin Megami Tensei game, and it was even nominated for game of the year having contested with the likes of Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild! Furthermore, a game titled Persona Q2 will be coming sometime this year on Nintendo 3DS and it's practically guarenteed to feature Joker, meaning he'll be making his debut on a Nintendo console fairly soon, whether or not he gets in Smash.

With him he brings his dagger, his pistol, his second self Arsene, and his snazzy dance moves. Joker's dagger are kinda short ranged and he sacrifices speed for style, but he makes up for that with his gun and Arsene offering ranged projectiles and priority, and his fancy footwork keeping him hard to hit. Opponents must keep their guard up; underestimating Joker would be no different to having a death wish.

Let me know what you think of Joker in Smash. Don't be afraid to let your voice be heard!
Courtesy of @Xeno610
Neutral: Eiha - Joker summons a projectile from the ground that targets his closest enemy, but they can't be too far away from him. It does weak damage and knockback as a result.
Side: Sneak - Joker does a quick dash forward and it acts like a command grab. If he grabs someone, he throws them to the ground and he can follow up with whatever he wants. If it's done in the air and he grabs someone, it's basically a meteor effect; Joker will throw the enemy downward and he'll have another jump.
Down: Phantom Cloak - A counter with two different properties. If attacked by a physical attack, he'll follow up with a weak attack. If attacked by a projectile, he reflects the projectile back to the enemy.
Up: Wings of Rebellion - Joker gains the wings from Arsene and he glides upwards, like Corrin's up special.
Final Smash: All-Out Attack - A trapping cinematic Final Smash. Joker uses a curse attack and anyone caught in it will be attacked by him and 3 others (probably Makoto, Yusuke, and Morgana). The move does 30% damage, but it instantly kills anyone over 100% damage. If it's a stock match and Joker caught any remaining enemies that reached over 100%, then The Show's Over.

Neutral: Downward swipe -> upward and jump swipe -> finish with a downward swipe. His Attack animation in P5. If you are quick enough to do a smash attack, the last hit (his downward slash) would have its properties changed and he'll follow up with a shot from his gun. His regular neutral would have the final hit do minor knockback. The smash neutral needs you to do a side smash after the second slice (the upwards slice) and the downwards slice becomes a meteor smash where you can then follow up with his gun. This is to mimic his critical hit. The weakness with it is that the meteor is techable and the gunshot does no shield damage and will leave Joker wide open.
Side Tilt: A horizontal swipe, as if he was stealing a smaller treasure in P5.
Side smash: A vertical slice downward, as if he attacked an enemy in the overworld but didn't get the ambush in P5.
Up tilt: An upward slice that leads to Joker spinning his dagger.
Up Smash: I was thinking something like Guile's Flash Kick or Yoshi's up smash. An alternate idea I have is him doing a gunshot upwards.
Down tilt: A gunshot downward.
Down smash: Either a breakdance kick like the Mario Bros.' down smash or a slide.
Nair: Slices his dagger in front of him and behind him, like Robin's nair.
Fair: A karate styled kick or a gunshot forward. Uair: A bicycle kick.
Bair: A backwards kick.
Dair: He shoots downwards with his gun and does a little spin. The spin does minor damage, but the gunshots do a lot more.
Dash Attack: He does a little spin and does a downwards slice/stab.
Grab: He grabs with his left arm, the arm free from his dagger. His pummel is a punch.
Forward throw: He does a forward stab with his dagger.
Back throw: He elbows the opponent backwards.
Up throw: He punches his opponent upwards.
Down throw: He throws the opponent to the ground and shoots.

Idle: He stands, like when he is waiting for his turn in Persona 5. Occassionally, he will spin his dagger.
Idle Animation 1: Joker adjusts his mask as if they were his glasses.
Idle Animation 2: Joker gets in a battle ready pose, like it is his turn in P5. Or he checks his phone while waiting.
Up Taunt: Joker writes in his probation journal and says, "I should write something", "Let's do it," or "I'll just add this." It varies.
Side Taunt: Joker does a "come on!" pose like he does during his idle animation waiting for his turn in P5.
Down Taunt: Joker stomps one of his feet and rubs it. Think of the menu animation when you use a Skill like Dia.
On Screen Appearance: The Metaverse effect appears and Joker emerges from it.
Victory 1: Joker puts a hand behind his neck and moves his head as if he got a question correct in class. He either says, "It's a step forward" or "It's a change of heart".
Victory 2: Joker is opening a treasure chest, but when he notices the cameraman, he elbows them away and they land on the ground. Joker makes a quick escape afterwards.
Victory 3: This one is my personal favorite. Instead of a screen transition where there is a diagonal slash, Joker takes the very last frame of the fight and puts it in his pocket. He either says, "I won't forget this feeling" or "Looking cool, am I?"
Victory Theme: The P5 victory theme and it's on a loop like Cloud's.

Walk: Joker just walks like he does in P5.
Dash: Joker sprints like he does in P5 when you hold down the run button.
Sidestep Dodge: He steps back.
Roll: Joker does a roll so quick that you can only see the effects of him dodging. This is like in P5 when you go from one hiding spot to another. The roll has a similar affect to Mewtwo's and Palutena's. (note: sidestep and roll share a sound effect when Joker goes from one spot to another)
Jump: Joker flips on his first jump and does another flip during his midair jump.
Fall: He falls down like he does during the infiltration log.
Land: He lands like he does during the infiltration log.
Crouch: Similar to his land actually; he can't crawl.
Dizzy: The animation Joker makes when he is inflicted with a status aliment.
Sleep: Joker just sits down on the ground and sleeps.
Other animations, like his getting hit animation would be like the one from P5 and when he is hit to the ground facing forward it's his death animation. Facial expressions would be smug and confident, with a lot of smiles and grins.

The Phandom! (Supporter list)
Robertman2 Robertman2
@Xeno610
@DarkAuraful
@Lindow
@Strider_Bond00J
@NintenZ
@FamicomDisk
Sigran101 Sigran101
amageish amageish
@CrusherMania1592
@kirbsmash
@Freduardo

https://discord.gg/ccXD4uH

Join the discord server for Joker!
In full support of Joker, super hyped for his release in April. Hope we get some gameplay before then.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
People people, just cause Sakurai loves the heck out of Persona does not mean it will automatically have a **** ton of references. Like the Square example: It is still dependent on licensing issues or if ATLUS is willing to play ball.

See this is what I mean by over entitlement because what is going to happen if Sakurai does not bring in literally every single Persona track, Spirits or echos/free fighters? You will bet there will be some backlash from some unsavory group. See this is what I mean by how I sometimes think Persona fans can be s bit too spoiled.
What the hell are you on about? Like seriously? Speculating that Joker might use multiple personas in his moveset is acting entitled?

Literally no one is saying the things you're complaining about. Where are you getting this?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just remembered something kinda funny. Back when we discussed a possible FeMC for P5R long before any of this costome stuff became a thing, I mentioned how perhaps a Joker FeMC would have white hair to our MC's black hair because P3's MC and FeMC had opposite colors(Blue and Red). I find this funny because I remembered what color the Fire Emblem avatars in Smash have for their hair.

"I know, right? White is a cool hair color! Until you get old, that is..."

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What the hell are you on about? Like seriously? Speculating that Joker might use multiple personas in his moveset is acting entitled?

Literally no one is saying the things you're complaining about. Where are you getting this?
Futabas arguing together, what has this world come to?

Really tho, I wasn't sure who you were arguing with earlier about entitlement. It's weird because we were just speculating on possible personas and I dont recall anyone saying it had to be all or perfect. I think a lot of us will be grateful of what we can get. Not saying we dont have some expectations, But at the end of the day whoever's attached just has to face it and weep what they sought more, and enjoy what they can or want to of it. Am I making sense?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Futabas arguing together, what has this world come to?

Really tho, I wasn't sure who you were arguing with earlier about entitlement. It's weird because we were just speculating on possible personas and I dont recall anyone saying it had to be all or perfect. I think a lot of us will be grateful of what we can get. Not saying we dont have some expectations, But at the end of the day whoever's attached just has to face it and weep what they sought more, and enjoy what they can or want to of it. Am I making sense?
Yeah. People are just speculating. We're having discussions about what kind of content would be cool. And TBH we haven't been talking about unreasonable ideas anyway. I'm fairly certain Persona fans are going to be happy with whatever we get.

Most of the sentiment I've seen is "even if none of that happens, holy crap we still got Joker so who cares!" Not "if they don't add enough music and more playable persona characters then no buy". The "entitlement mindset" is just straight up not a thing in this forum, or on the Joker discord.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Here is a question for all of you, who do you think should voice a Joker FeMC?
Some names that come to my head are:

-Laura Bailey ( The female Troy Baker ;) )
-Ashley Johnson ( Voiced Ellie in TLOU )
-Ashly Burch ( Voiced Aloy in Horizon )
-Kira Buckland ( Voiced 2B in Nier: Automata )
-Brittany Lee Harvey ( Voiced Sakura in Street Fighter V )

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Ooh VA speculation, me likey lol. In that case one I can imagine is Cristina Vee in a mix between her cheery and tough voices.

Japanese-wise I do not know.

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, it would depend on her personality... Given how Ren is generally pretty cocky and laid-back, I could see the FeMC being a bit more blunt and direct for contrast...

But also 99% of the voice actors I know by name have already been in a Persona game, so I dunno...

She's the P3 FeMC haha.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

-Ashley Johnson ( Voiced Ellie in TLOU )
-Ashly Burch ( Voiced Aloy in Horizon )
-Kira Buckland ( Voiced 2B in Nier: Automata )
-Brittany Lee Harvey ( Voiced Sakura in Street Fighter V )
We already have Laura Bailey for Lucina, but I doubt Atlus had Smash crossover in mind when picking the voice. Personally speaking, Kira Buckland is the voice hat pops out to me most on this list.
Ooh VA speculation, me likey lol. In that case one I can imagine is Cristina Vee in a mix between her cheery and tough voices.

Japanese-wise I do not know.
I Christina Vee is always a choice to consider, though how well she would fit with Joker's role is the big question. I think it really depends on how different a Joker FeMC is from the our MC Joker in character.

Edit:
I mean, it would depend on her personality... Given how Ren is generally pretty cocky and laid-back, I could see the FeMC being a bit more blunt and direct for contrast...

But also 99% of the voice actors I know by name have already been in a Persona game, so I dunno...

She's the P3 FeMC haha.
100% agree on the personality thing.

Also, I did not realized the P3 FeMC was Laura Baily. Makes it rather unlikely for her to be P5 FeMC, all things considered.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
We already have Laura Bailey for Lucina
And in the Japanese version, we already have Jun Fukuyama for Roy, but Joker's still here anyway. :p

And that's not even counting his English VA.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
And in the Japanese version, we already have Jun Fukuyama for Roy, but Joker's still here anyway. :p

And that's not even counting his English VA.
Yeah, but that was all a happy coincidence with no account of a possible Smash connection. This will be the Joker FeMC's first outing as a playable character, ironically much like Roy.
Well, to be fair, David Vincent voices both Male!Robin and Richter...
Same goes for that. He played Richter long before he was put in Smash.

amageish

Smash Master
The question we should all ask ourselves is this:

What will her hair color be
Likely white, though I wouldn't mind if they followed the cliche and had the rebellious girl have artifically dyed hair (if that is possible in a world wherein blue and pink are natural colours).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not gonna happen but I'd love Chiwa Saito to voice a possible female Joker.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Ok so i had this weird as hell dream last night where i imagined there was a new confidant in P5R...........

Voiced by Christopher Judge 0_0

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I wonder if the FeMC's Phantom Thief attire will be slightly diffrent. I think the basic cocept and theme of the look will stay the same, but it might be a bit differently colored. The mask will probably stay the same though.

Top Bottom