• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A bit elated, because my dreams for Slime and Jessica don't seem so impossible now!

Also, I do wonder how Sakurai will make Eddy stand out, exactly. He'll be the game's very first unique swordsman newcomer, the only other swordsman newcomer is an Echo fighter. :ultchrom:

Plus there's still the matter of if he will come with alts, and how many.

StormC

Smash Hero
The fourth palace is probably my favorite so far, thanks to its aesthetic/theme and how it integrates Futaba's storyline. The boss was pretty crazy, especially

Willpower playing during the second phase and Joker delivering the final blow with his gun

and I got emotional when

Futaba said goodbye to the spirit of her mother, especially when they said "I love you" to each other.

I loved Persona 4 but this is blowing it away so far. I'm pretty sure this is going to end up as an all time favorite of mine. I'm completely hooked now.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The fourth palace is probably my favorite so far, thanks to its aesthetic/theme and how it integrates Futaba's storyline. The boss was pretty crazy, especially

Willpower playing during the second phase and Joker delivering the final blow with his gun

and I got emotional when

Futaba said goodbye to the spirit of her mother, especially when they said "I love you" to each other.

I loved Persona 4 but this is blowing it away so far. I'm pretty sure this is going to end up as an all time favorite of mine. I'm completely hooked now.
Good taste! Persona 5 is definitely my all time favorite game. I'm enjoying hearing your progress and seeing you get as hooked as I am. Are you dating anyone in the game yet?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

We converted another one, boys.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

and I got emotional when

This was the hardest palace for me.

Futaba acts exactly like one of my best friends, down to the grief and self-blame about her mother's death. So many little things Futaba says and even does in terms of her animations remind me of her, to the point that we joke about Atlus bugging her apartment. It's such a shocking and real portrayal of a child (who may potentially be disabled - it would.not surprise me at all to learn that Atlus intentionally wrote Futaba to evoke people with sensory processing disorders and autism spectrum disorders based on how she interacts with the world at large) dealing with unresolved grief and self doubt after losing such an important parent so early on in her life.

It's moments like that that really put the game over the top for me. Persona has always been good about dealing with real issues that almost no other game does but this one hit so close to home. I really really love it, even if it makes me cry the entire way through.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
I mainly am hoping for the All-Out Attack to make its debut here, but this would be good too.
That's most like gonna be Joker's Final Smash if anything, but it'd be nice to fight them as spirits should they add them lol

StormC

Smash Hero
Good taste! Persona 5 is definitely my all time favorite game. I'm enjoying hearing your progress and seeing you get as hooked as I am. Are you dating anyone in the game yet?
I'm close to completing Takemi and Kawakimi's Confidants. I'm trying to grind on Charm because I hit a wall on Makoto's. They give you a lot of spare time to complete the fourth dungeon (I beat every dungeon in 2-3 days, including this one), so I'm just spending August working on social stuff.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm close to completing Takemi and Kawakimi's Confidants. I'm trying to grind on Charm because I hit a wall on Makoto's. They give you a lot of spare time to complete the fourth dungeon (I beat every dungeon in 2-3 days, including this one), so I'm just spending August working on social stuff.
Well, between those three, who would you choose? I will say, the Makoto charm wall is steep from what I recall.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Well, between those three, who would you choose? I will say, the Makoto charm wall is steep from what I recall.
I'm at Charm level 4 now and spending every Monday and Thursday at the bathhouse as well as rainy nights. I feel bad because I'm so busy at nights I haven't done Sojiro's Confidant in forever.

As for who to date, leaning towards Makoto but I'm probably going full **** mode and dating everyone. I will accept the consequences of my actions.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
This was the hardest palace for me.

Futaba acts exactly like one of my best friends, down to the grief and self-blame about her mother's death. So many little things Futaba says and even does in terms of her animations remind me of her, to the point that we joke about Atlus bugging her apartment. It's such a shocking and real portrayal of a child (who may potentially be disabled - it would.not surprise me at all to learn that Atlus intentionally wrote Futaba to evoke people with sensory processing disorders and autism spectrum disorders based on how she interacts with the world at large) dealing with unresolved grief and self doubt after losing such an important parent so early on in her life.

It's moments like that that really put the game over the top for me. Persona has always been good about dealing with real issues that almost no other game does but this one hit so close to home. I really really love it, even if it makes me cry the entire way through.
This is exactly why Futaba is my favorite video game character. As someone with Bipolar, Turrets, and Autism spectrum disorder, I really related to parts of her character. More than that though, she essentially the video game version of my fiancee. Change the hair from orange to brown and put her in America instead of Japan and that's her, down to almost every last little detail. To the point that she's literally listed in my phone as Futaba. (That's why Futaba is best girl for me.) We played the game together and both absolutely loved the way she was written, because whoever wrote that character has experience with those issues. It was so accurate that it's not possible otherwise. When going through struggles, it really helps to play games that prove someone "gets it". That's why we both loved the indie game "The Cat Lady" too.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is exactly why Futaba is my favorite video game character. As someone with Bipolar, Turrets, and Autism spectrum disorder, I really related to parts of her character. More than that though, she essentially the video game version of my fiancee. Change the hair from orange to brown and put her in America instead of Japan and that's her, down to almost every last little detail. To the point that she's literally listed in my phone as Futaba. (That's why Futaba is best girl for me.) We played the game together and both absolutely loved the way she was written, because whoever wrote that character has experience with those issues. It was so accurate that it's not possible otherwise. When going through struggles, it really helps to play games that prove someone "gets it". That's why we both loved the indie game "The Cat Lady" too.
Haha, my friend is in my phone as Futaba too! I even themed my texts so my closest contacts use confidants as their profile images, and she of course got Futaba. It's really nice that others are relating to her and also see how clearly she's written as having those issues. God I love this game.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Careful StormC StormC . I saw you liked my spoiler post. There's a lot of twists still to come that I'd hate to have ruined for you. Sorry we have like 80% of our posts here in spoilers btw:)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Careful StormC StormC . I saw you liked my spoiler post. There's a lot of twists still to come that I'd hate to have ruined for you. Sorry we have like 80% of our posts here in spoilers btw:)
I felt safe clicking that one based on context, but duly noted.

I finally maxed out Charm but I've been too wrapped up in the Futaba storyline to get anything done with Makoto. Which is good because it's hard to not like Futaba. I was worried she would be a kind of generic submissive shy kawaii character but uh... she isn't that. At all. As someone on the spectrum, some of her stuff, like slowly starting to work at the cafe in baby steps, is a little too relatable.

At this point I'm basically thinking about Persona 5 in the time that I'm not playing it. Just at the 50 hour mark or so. Good thing I'm on winter break.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's really really nice that others in this thread are seeing the same things about Futaba as I and my friend did. I swear it's intentional or at least written by someone with experience with the autism spectrum.

Cute story: my friend, in Futaba cosplay, met Erica Lindbeck and got to tell her how much Futaba meant to her as an autistic woman and Erica seemed to really be moved and understand, so I feel like even the voice cast might have known. It's really interesting stuff.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
I saw this cute pic on Twitter, and a part of me hopes that we get the PT as spirits

Fun fact, the original spirits were gonna be the SMT demons, but Mara increased the ESRB rating by two stages, so they had to go with the Phantom THieves

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, ever since I made a specific discovery earlier today, I have had a craving for art pieces that have Joker and Geno interacting, but there is none. That makes sense, since the connection is certainly not surface level, but it still makes me sad.:(

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, ever since I made a specific discovery earlier today, I have had a craving for art pieces that have Joker and Geno interacting, but there is none. That makes sense, since the connection is certainly not surface level, but it still makes me sad.:(
Someday, Earl, someday. Doesn't matter if they have to go through every SE property first before it happens.

Speaking of interactions, it would have been nice if Count Cannoli had possessed Joker instead of :ultwario:, they jumped the gun on that! :p

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Someday, Earl, someday. Doesn't matter if they have to go through every SE property first before it happens.
I don't know if you saw it on the Operation Starfall thread, but I posted this.
Hey guys, I just found out something interesting. It's not often noted, but SMRPG has a card motif. Whenever a character does a special move, a suit would appear on them. Mario has Spades, Mallow has Clubs, Bowser has has Diamonds and Peach has Hearts. But Geno is the odd man out, as he does not have a typical card symbol, that being a star. This might be a reference to him not being of the Mario world, but this also means that the Mario world equivalent to the star symbol is likely the Joker card. Funny, considering...
Perhaps we could make some crossover art featuring our Joker's, as well as a custom card deck. If the SMRPG cast has a card theme, then it is more than fitting. I also think both of these tasks would be on the easier side in comparison to the bigger tasks talked about so far in this thread.
I never would of thought Geno could also be seen as a Wild Card, but it's there and now it makes me sad that there is not Joker and Geno art. Oh well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know if you saw it on the Operation Starfall thread, but I posted this.

I never would of thought Geno could also be seen as a Wild Card, but it's there and now it makes me sad that there is not Joker and Geno art. Oh well.
Ahh, I see now. At the least, Sakurai would be aware of this motif, though I'm not sure how many Smash fans do so as well.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ahh, I see now. At the least, Sakurai would be aware of this motif, though I'm not sure how many Smash fans do so as well.
No one seems to comment about it at least. I did not even realize it until I went into the Fridge section of SMRPG's TV Tropes page, and even then I had to go to the TV Tropes Card Motif page to realize the Joker connection the star could have. It is not well known from the looks of it.

amageish

Smash Master
It's really really nice that others in this thread are seeing the same things about Futaba as I and my friend did. I swear it's intentional or at least written by someone with experience with the autism spectrum.

Cute story: my friend, in Futaba cosplay, met Erica Lindbeck and got to tell her how much Futaba meant to her as an autistic woman and Erica seemed to really be moved and understand, so I feel like even the voice cast might have known. It's really interesting stuff.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I don't know if you've seen this, but this tweet (that links to a spoiler-filled article) implies to me that it was intentional. It was very well-handled either way!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I don't know if you've seen this, but this tweet implies to me that it was intentional. It was very well-handled either way.
That was a great read, though I do worry about there being a pic from much later in the game near the end. There is no context to it, but it's still a bit risky for some people here.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I don't know if you've seen this, but this tweet implies to me that it was intentional. It was very well-handled either way.
Amazing! I hadn't seen this, but judging from her comments to my friend both in person and on her tweet it's really nice to see that validation.

Also yeah, spoiler warning of course! Careful, guys!

amageish

Smash Master
That was a great read, though I do worry about there being a pic from much later in the game near the end. There is no context to it, but it's still a bit risky for some people here.
Good catch; thank you. I was distracted by the Tweet's content and forgot that the article was spoiler-filled... Edited my post accordingly. Stay safe everyone!

D

Deleted member

I feel like I relate to Futaba a lot, and I really enjoyed that article, since I am on the autism spectrum myself.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I feel like I relate to Futaba a lot, and I really enjoyed that article, since I am on the autism spectrum myself.
Same here. I always found myself relating to Futaba more than any other character, and now I know why. I'm on the spectrum, and I felt like I was constantly seeing my own behavior patterns in her.

StormC

Smash Hero

This song should really be in Smash. Sounds a lot like a Sonic song.

Question (spoilers for the start of the fifth dungeon):

How long does it take for Morgana to rejoin my party? I just loaded him up with my best gear and he ran off on me... the little ****.

D

Deleted member

I just read the article and it all makes sense really. I was subconsciously thinking that she had autism, but I didn't know if that was true or not because there isn't an official confirmation.

The fact that Erica preformed her role as someone who was on the spectrum in a positive light makes me very happy and it makes me enjoy her character even more.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

This song should really be in Smash. Sounds a lot like a Sonic song.

Question (spoilers for the start of the fifth dungeon):

How long does it take for Morgana to rejoin my party? I just loaded him up with my best gear and he ran off on me... the little ****.
A day. Maybe 2

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I related to Futaba too as I had a strong depression at the time in early 2017, but playing Persona 5 has snapped me out of it and made me believe in hope again and being a stronger person. The game means a lot to me and I couldn't be any happier in my dream guy Joker making it in. Of course I want the other PTs to be utilized in some way, maybe as part of a potential All Out Attack final smash, guests in Palutena's Guidance or something.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>second favorite gal actually is high-functional like me
And now I'm having second thoughts about putting off buying the game again. It's not often that you get an accurate portrayal like that.

I related to Futaba too as I had a strong depression at the time in early 2017, but playing Persona 5 has snapped me out of it and made me believe in hope again and being a stronger person. The game means a lot to me and I couldn't be any happier in my dream guy Joker making it in. Of course I want the other PTs to be utilized in some way, maybe as part of a potential All Out Attack final smash, guests in Palutena's Guidance or something.
Them showing up anywhere possible would be cool. The FS is a guarantee, at least.

Meanwhile, it's a shame that the death of Colonel's VA in Japan has led to Snake not getting anything new here, so Hayter doesn't get to do much here, if anything at all.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Idea for Phantom Thieves Spirit Events:

Morgana (Legend):
-Incineroar (All black color)
-Fight on whatever the Persona Stage is
-Enemy Starts the fight with a Killing Edge
-Dangerously High Winds will be in effect

Ryuji (Ace):
-Donkey Kong
-Fight on Pirate Ship
-The floor is electrified
-Lightning item will spawn regularly

Ann (Advanced):
-Zero Suit Samus (in red suit)
-Fight on Castle Siege
-The enemy likes to Side B
-The floor is on fire

Yusuke (Advanced):
-Marth
-Fight on Pictochat
-The enemy starts the match with a Freezie
-Hostile Assist Trophies will appear (Vince)

Makoto (Ace):
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Fight on New Pork City (FD)
-Comes with a Wario who likes to Side B a lot

Futaba (Novice):
-Take a guess.......
-Fight on Mushroomy Kingdom
-Timed Battle
-The enemy likes to avoid conflict

Haru (Novice):
-Peach
-Fight on Lylat Cruise
-Only certain items will spawn (Burger food)

Akechi (Legend):
-Dark Pit
-Fight on the boat section of Wuhu Island
-Defeat the main fighter (start fight vs regular Pit, then Dark Pit spawns upon defeat)
-No one can swim
-Comes equipped with a Ray Gun

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
If they have Akechi as a Spirit, I want him to be enhancable. Those who've played the game should have an idea on who would be his enhanced form hehehe.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Seeing all the love for Futaba warms my heart. It's really cool to see how many other people relate to her. And I had no idea how many of us were on the spectrum! Glad to see I'm not alone in this:)

StormC

Smash Hero
So... good news...

Noir has joined my crew (the Kremling Krew, specifically), and I maxed out the maid Confidant meaning I can do stuff at night even if I am tired. Awesome!

Bad news... after I maxed out my doctor Confidant I went to her to buy half-price SP healing accessories.

Except I saw "Regen" and thought "oh, that's it," and bought four, for the price of approximately 180K yen.

And I saved before I realized my gaffe.

...good news is money is so easy to come by in this game and I already maxed out the politician confidant so I can make money pretty quickly but still.

(Even after buying 4 of those by accident, I still had enough left over to buy 3 of the real deal, but now I am actually broke for real.)

Top Bottom