• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
But... It is prevalent through the whole game?

The entire game is about taking down powerful men who don't care about the layperson. Shido is the person responsible for Joker's first arrest, appears again after the first palace, and his palace directly ties all the other palace-owners (expect Futuba and Sae) back to him through political and economic means. Yes, the theme of the game is one of "unjust society," but that's an inherently political concept.

That said, I doubt they'll try to insert any real-world political figures into the game or anything... I'm just saying that the game is hardly apolitical as-is and I think it's kind of silly to worry about it having politics now.
But the original never shoved any heavy political themes throughout the entire story.

Unless a group's vacation to Hawaii or a fireworks festival are inherently political. A majority of the story is socially awkward dorks being socially awkward dorks and Joker helping other people out in social links.

It's not until the late game where that stuff is actually important.

Basically I'm concerned about writers who can't get their heads out of wacky politics inserting them everywhere at every chance they get without thinking about the actual setting and characters first.

amageish

Smash Master
But the original never shoved any heavy political themes throughout the entire story.

Unless a group's vacation to Hawaii or a fireworks festival are inherently political. A majority of the story is socially awkward dorks being socially awkward dorks and Joker helping other people out in social links.

It's not until the late game where that stuff is actually important.

Basically I'm concerned about writers who can't get their heads out of wacky politics inserting them everywhere at every chance they get without thinking about the actual setting and characters first.
I just... don't think we're going to agree on this one. The slice of life moments are apolitical when treated as standalone, but I'd say that every single boss (including the first one) is part of telling a larger arc which has a political message - a non-partisan political message that I think everyone should agree with and should be wholly non-offensive, but a political one nonethless. I also think this message is supported by all the confidants and, heck, even the Hawaii trip does have a brief moment of "Let's go and discuss how famous the Phantom Thieves have gotten and think about the implications of that."

So, I trust the writers won't put in direct messaging any more then necessary.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The kind of politics im worried about are the partisan kind. The one that certain writers keep injecting into things where it doesn't belong hence the "Orange man bad" thing I mentioned earlier.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The kind of politics im worried about are the partisan kind. The one that certain writers keep injecting into things where it doesn't belong hence the "Orange man bad" thing I mentioned earlier.
Is there any reason why you are so concerned about this?

The only notable artistic license we've seen so far in Royal's localization is making a couple of scenes a lot less offensive.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Is there any reason why you are so concerned about this?

The only notable artistic license we've seen so far in Royal's localization is making a couple of scenes a lot less offensive.
Well in general it doesn't have to do with Persona just that certain other forms of entertainment I've enjoyed in the past gens to end up like that nowadays using the excuse that their making things less offensive so when they said they were doing stuff like that for Royal using that exact excuse i am understandably concerned.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hey guys,

I'm a new Phantom Thief member entering the hideout. I don't main Joker, but I really like playing him and I really love the Persona series. I actually did a challenge on playing Joker without using Arsene at all. You can check my challenge video here. :ultjoker:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys,

I'm a new Phantom Thief member entering the hideout. I don't main Joker, but I really like playing him and I really love the Persona series. I actually did a challenge on playing Joker without using Arsene at all. You can check my challenge video here. :ultjoker:
Welcome aboard contrera!

I have to say your video was nicely edited too!

D

Deleted member

If anyone ordered P5R from Amazon, look at your Orders and your email. I received an email saying that my shipment might get delayed because of the virus, as they are prioritizing more essential items.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Well in general it doesn't have to do with Persona just that certain other forms of entertainment I've enjoyed in the past gens to end up like that nowadays using the excuse that their making things less offensive so when they said they were doing stuff like that for Royal using that exact excuse i am understandably concerned.
I feel the same way.

Just translate and keep things as close as possible to the Japanese original source material. I'm not a huge fan of localisations taking their own liberties and changing things just because they feel like it too.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Hello Phantom Thieves Fans, iv'e finished Persona 5 today and i want to once again thank you all for helping me get over my fears of playing the game, i would've have never enjoy something that made me feel so free of myself and experience a life i wished for if i didn't ask for questions. This game was great and i would love to go back to replay sometime.
https://youtu.be/1q34aIo8AfQ

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1244733079429799937

It's implied that Atlus hasn't started localizing Persona 5 Scramble yet, and they're using surveys to figure out whether or not it's worth localizing the game. I'm new to the Persona series, but has Atlus always been like this?
This is the first I've heard of this doing this.

Usually they release the game in Japan and then wait like 6 months for the west.

Although with the Kungflu going around it's probably slowed them down a lot.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This is the first I've heard of this doing this.

Usually they release the game in Japan and then wait like 6 months for the west.

Although with the Kungflu going around it's probably slowed them down a lot.
Stick to something like "coronavirus" or "COVID-19" when referring to the virus; ideally, we should avoid terms that lead to discrimination, going by both the World Health Organization and this forum's rules.

At least Atlus doesn't do this often. It seems a little weird for Atlus to (willfully?) ignore all of the popularity that Persona 5's gotten and ask themselves "should we REALLY localize this direct sequel to one of our most popular games, or should we leave it exclusive to Japan?"

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
At least Atlus doesn't do this often. It seems a little weird for Atlus to (willfully?) ignore all of the popularity that Persona 5's gotten and ask themselves "should we REALLY localize this direct sequel to one of our most popular games, or should we leave it exclusive to Japan?"
Starting to get the feeling that the people at Atlus gets a kick out of messing with the fans sometimes. What with all the surveys asking very specific hypothetical questions like that.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Also, I'm playing through Persona 4 at the moment (just finished Rise's dungeon) - when I'm done that, would I be able to play Persona 4 Arena (or Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax) without worry, or should I play through Persona 3 first? (I know that there are some Persona 3 characters in P4 Arena, and that P4 Arena is more story-heavy than most fighting games, so I'm worried about Persona 3 spoilers)

amageish

Smash Master
https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1244733079429799937

It's implied that Atlus hasn't started localizing Persona 5 Scramble yet, and they're using surveys to figure out whether or not it's worth localizing the game. I'm new to the Persona series, but has Atlus always been like this?
They usually don’t start localizations until the game is out in Japan, but I don’t think they’ve ever indicated that they were considering skipping a translation before...

...but ATLUS Japan also asked if people would want a port of Catherine for the Switch about a week after they filed the copyright papers for it and it’s now releasing this July... So, I think it’s more likely that this question is just for data about marketing the game and not about them actually considering not localizing it. They probably just didn’t want to confirm a localization via survey and don’t have a trailer ready.

Also, I'm playing through Persona 4 at the moment (just finished Rise's dungeon) - when I'm done that, would I be able to play Persona 4 Arena (or Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax) without worry, or should I play through Persona 3 first? (I know that there are some Persona 3 characters in P4 Arena, and that P4 Arena is more story-heavy than most fighting games, so I'm worried about Persona 3 spoilers)
You should play through Persona 3 first, as it pretty directly and repeatedly spoils some major twists from that game.

When you do play Arena, the original P4A story is available as DLC in Ultimax. So, it’s better to just get that one.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You should play through Persona 3 first, as it pretty directly and repeatedly spoils some major twists from that game.

When you do play Arena, the original P4A story is available as DLC in Ultimax. So, it’s better to just get that one.
Haha it's kind of crazy that I have to play through two separate 100+ hour RPGs to get ready for a single fighting game, but I'm definitely not complaining - I'm up for it. Besides, I've done similar things for Smash Bros. (Ultimate's DLC alone encouraged me to play through Persona 5 and Dragon Quest 11)

amageish

Smash Master
Haha it's kind of crazy that I have to play through two separate 100+ hour RPGs to get ready for a single fighting game, but I'm definitely not complaining - I'm up for it. Besides, I've done similar things for Smash Bros. (Ultimate's DLC alone encouraged me to play through Persona 5 and Dragon Quest 11)
Kudos to your dedication to playing the games repped by Smash Bros DLC! Hopefully you enjoy Persona 3 as well; it is a great game.

And, yeah. ATLUS' obsession with making everything canon can make their games kind of inaccessible sometimes... I low-key hope that Persona 5 Strikers being the sequel-story means that Persona 5 Arena won't be as concerned with canonicity. I don't want people to be spoiled on 3/4 due to being new to the series with P5...

I also don't particularly trust ArcSys to include all the P4AU cast if they have to redraw every sprite to age people up and, if we're assuming the Metaverse would work like in P5, give everyone a phantom thief outfit...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's a canonical team up with both group's that serves as a sequel to P4 and an epilogue to P3. So yeah it's probably recommended to play P3 first.

I also don't particularly trust ArcSys to include all the P4AU cast if they have to redraw every sprite to age people up and, if we're assuming the Metaverse would work like in P5, give everyone a phantom thief outfit...
Dude it would be awesome if they went out of their way to give older Persona users a Phantom thief outfit.

Though what's more likely is that it'll be like Q2 and the other Persona users just stick to their everyday clothes and look confused as to why the Thieves are dressed like that.

I wonder if they'll even do a 2D fighter with P5 arena if that happens. They'd probably use their current engine and make the fancy 3D models they use in Guilty gear and FighterZ

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Dude it would be awesome if they went out of their way to give older Persona users a Phantom thief outfit.

Though what's more likely is that it'll be like Q2 and the other Persona users just stick to their everyday clothes and look confused as to why the Thieves are dressed like that.

I wonder if they'll even do a 2D fighter with P5 arena if that happens. They'd probably use their current engine and make the fancy 3D models they use in Guilty gear and FighterZ
Yeah, they could the Q2 method, but they did also bother to equip P3 users for the TV world (even if that's a much less challenging task then an entire outfit would be)... It'd kind of suck in my mind if it was a canon story and the metaverse just never gives people outfits because... reasons.

I doubt they'd do a 3D fighter. The Arena games are handled by Team Blue traditionally and they haven't done a 3D fighter yet (ICYMI, ArcSys has two teams, with Team Red being Guilty Gear + some licensed stuff and Team Blue being BlazBlue + some licensed stuff). It'd be cool to see a P5A with a 3D stylish P5 UI, but I imagine it'll be sprite-based unless ArcSys has been having an internal shake-up we don't know about yet.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I lost a lot of progress in Persona 4 because of a save data glitch (when I went to load my save file, my main one was deleted, so I was forced to go back thirty hours to the point just after Kanji's dungeon), but I find that some things are a lot easier this time around. (I have a better understanding of how to fuse Personas and how to use them for improving social links, as well as knowing what to do to improve specific social stats)

Also, I picked up Persona 3, so I'll play that at some point after I beat P4. (probably won't play them back to back, because I don't want to get burned out) Not sure if I'll go further back than that - the Persona games have gotten harder as I've been going back through them, and I feel like Persona 2 and 1 will be insanely difficult.

amageish

Smash Master
I lost a lot of progress in Persona 4 because of a save data glitch (when I went to load my save file, my main one was deleted, so I was forced to go back thirty hours to the point just after Kanji's dungeon), but I find that some things are a lot easier this time around. (I have a better understanding of how to fuse Personas and how to use them for improving social links, as well as knowing what to do to improve specific social stats)

Also, I picked up Persona 3, so I'll play that at some point after I beat P4. (probably won't play them back to back, because I don't want to get burned out) Not sure if I'll go further back than that - the Persona games have gotten harder as I've been going back through them, and I feel like Persona 2 and 1 will be insanely difficult.
Oh, man, I'm sorry. That sucks. Full points for being willing to keep going through the game after that and not just ditching it. It definitely is easier with more experience, but still... Going back 30 hours has to suck.

Glad you picked up Persona 3! Hopefully you enjoy it. I would space them out, as they definitely would feel kind of same-y, especially as P3's dungeon design is... less engaging, to say the least.

As for Persona 1 and 2, I wouldn't describe them as "harder" insomuch as "outdated mechanically." I think the Persona 2 duology holds up decently, carried mostly by its stellar storytelling. Persona 1, however, is not exactly worth playing unless you want bragging rights of having said you played it. That said, you can enjoy all the spin-offs without knowledge of either.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

you know this reminds me of a story that happen to me when playing persona 5, i was making some progress with some confidants and this was probably after kamoshida or madarame. my brother and i had another bad day and he pulled the plug off the game and i was shocked i didn't save from beyond the point i was getting messages during class and he turned off the game not knowing i didn't save progress.

thankfully it was the TV he unplugged and not the ps4 so i was relieved.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Oh, man, I'm sorry. That sucks. Full points for being willing to keep going through the game after that and not just ditching it. It definitely is easier with more experience, but still... Going back 30 hours has to suck.

Glad you picked up Persona 3! Hopefully you enjoy it. I would space them out, as they definitely would feel kind of same-y, especially as P3's dungeon design is... less engaging, to say the least.

As for Persona 1 and 2, I wouldn't describe them as "harder" insomuch as "outdated mechanically." I think the Persona 2 duology holds up decently, carried mostly by its stellar storytelling. Persona 1, however, is not exactly worth playing unless you want bragging rights of having said you played it. That said, you can enjoy all the spin-offs without knowledge of either.
Yeah, it's rough, but it has its advantages. The second time around, I knew that I had to max out the Expression stat to get further into Nanako's social link, and I knew that I'd be blocked out of one of the Fox's sidequests once school finished, so I was able to get those done before I even started the fourth dungeon! (for Dojima's social link, I'm already at rank 9)

I'm not sure how my team is in terms of stats compared to the previous time around, but I have a better idea of how to deal damage, use fusions, and upgrade social ranks, so this should hopefully go easier.

EDIT: Beat the fourth dungeon, which was much easier this time around (the boss's attacks no longer took off half of the HP of whoever they hit, and I had plenty of SP left by the end). I've already maxed out the social links for Nanako, Dojima, Chie, Yosuke, and Yukiko, so I'll try to get as much done for Kanji and Rise as I can before starting the fifth dungeon.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Kasumi's storyarc kind of reminds me of something and I'm going to dump it in a spoiler tag because obvious reason.
it's not a perfect comparison or anything but her arc kinda reminds me of Ken's arc from Digimon adventure, at least from what I remember. They were both jealous of their much successful sibling and the attention they get, said sibling dies in an automobile accident, the other gets depressed over it.

Ken finds his brothers Digivice and takes it as his own and an outside influence makes him just as skilled as his brother.

An outside influence makes Sumire just as good as her sister and she awakens to a persona.

Eventually through some issues they both come to accept their shortcomings and who they are and awaken to their true power to help the main hero save the day in the end.

D

Deleted member

Hello Persona contreras!!!

Hopefully all of you who got Persona 5 Royal are really enjoying this new version of the Game.

I sadly will have to wait some months to play It thanks to this quarantine, but I strongly believe the wait will be worth It!

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's still hard to believe he's in sometimes.

Also, can we appreciate how good Joker looks in Smash once again? They've gone all-out on him and Arsene.

D

Deleted member

Also, can we appreciate how good Joker looks in Smash once again? They've gone all-out on him and Arsene.
Today is a national holiday.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

i like to congratulate Joker for getting into smash bros, he was the main driving force for me to play persona 5 after his debut, i wanted to go through his adventure and see what he was capable of doing. Thanks Joker and Thank You fans for helping me get through my worries.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

He has one of the best 3D models in the game that's for sure.

A lot of these characters actually look kinda creepy up close.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I beat Persona 4 today! I'm not sure how I feel about it compared to Persona 5.

On one hand, I felt like Persona 4 was harder (I had to go out of my way to level grind for several endgame bosses, whereas the difficulty curve felt more natural in P5), but on the other hand, I felt like I had more investment with the party. I was able to get all of the party members (along with Nanako, Dojima, Margaret, and the athletes) to rank 10 for their social links, while I only did that for a few party members in Persona 5. (Ann, Ryuji, Morgana, and Futaba) Maybe it's because she joins at the end of the game or because her confidant storyline has such a high barrier for entry, but sometimes I forget about Haru.

I definitely enjoyed both Persona games, though. I'm not going to play Persona 3 right away, but I will play it at some point. (I've already bought it on my PS3)

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

On one hand, I felt like Persona 4 was harder (I had to go out of my way to level grind for several endgame bosses, whereas the difficulty curve felt more natural in P5), but on the other hand, I felt like I had more investment with the party. I was able to get all of the party members (along with Nanako, Dojima, Margaret, and the athletes) to rank 10 for their social links, while I only did that for a few party members in Persona 5. (Ann, Ryuji, Morgana, and Futaba) Maybe it's because she joins at the end of the game or because her confidant storyline has such a high barrier for entry, but sometimes I forget about Haru.

I definitely enjoyed both Persona games, though. I'm not going to play Persona 3 right away, but I will play it at some point. (I've already bought it on my PS3)
Glad you enjoyed it! I understand those experiences, though I imagine the time spent in Persona 5 probably made the social links in Persona 4 a bit easier - the work-life balance of Persona is just something that gets easier as you've played more games. The difficulty progression of the later games is generally easier IMO - partly just because the Mementos vs Palaces dynamic a lot of the grinding that happens feel like you're just doing gameplay versus "TIME TO ACTIVELY RUN AROUND UNTIL I AM 5 LEVELS HIGHER!"

Hopefully you enjoy P3 once you get into it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Yeah, before I played the P5 sequel/spin off games I forgot about Haru too.

It's kinda funny that they went through several different drafts of the plot and reworked characters around but never once thought "Hey, should we actually use Haru for something?" And she ends up just being there.

Good luck with P3, that's the one about depression!

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
After playing through P5R two times ( and currently going through a 3rd playthrough ) it has easily become one of my favorite updates to a game that i dearly love ever. The insane amount of new stuff, the incredible polish you feel from playing it, the amazing Thieves Den and mother of god that insane 3rd semester that made me cry like a 7 year old... absolutely worth the 60 bucks! And holy **** that new music!

Also P.S. i FINALLY obtained Yozhitsune after 2 and a half playthroughs hallelujah!

Oh and without any spoilers whatsover:

Akechi is now one of my favorite characters in Persona ever after his inclusion in Royal hands down.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
After playing through P5R two times ( and currently going through a 3rd playthrough ) it has easily become one of my favorite updates to a game that i dearly love ever. The insane amount of new stuff, the incredible polish you feel from playing it, the amazing Thieves Den and mother of god that insane 3rd semester that made me cry like a 7 year old... absolutely worth the 60 bucks! And holy **** that new music!

Also P.S. i FINALLY obtained Yozhitsune after 2 and a half playthroughs hallelujah!

Oh and without any spoilers whatsover:

Akechi is now one of my favorite characters in Persona ever after his inclusion in Royal hands down.
Holy moly. Full points for that much Persona-playing and I'm glad you're enjoying it!!!

I'm still on my first playthrough and am now on the Casino palace. It's going well! I'm very into the new story beats they've set up thus far and am very interested in where they are going. I'm also incredibly impressed by how much they were able to refine the combat of P5 - boosting the Baton Pass mechanic really helps combat flow better and the showtimes also feel badass.

I also don't understand why they bothered to put a full card game in what is functionally a gallery mode, as that seems like ab objective waste of dev time, but I'm very glad they did it. I would probably be ahead by another palace if I didn't spend so much time playing Tycoon...

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Holy moly. Full points for that much Persona-playing and I'm glad you're enjoying it!!!

I'm still on my first playthrough and am now on the Casino palace. It's going well! I'm very into the new story beats they've set up thus far and am very interested in where they are going. I'm also incredibly impressed by how much they were able to refine the combat of P5 - boosting the Baton Pass mechanic really helps combat flow better and the showtimes also feel badass.

I also don't understand why they bothered to put a full card game in what is functionally a gallery mode, as that seems like ab objective waste of dev time, but I'm very glad they did it. I would probably be ahead by another palace if I didn't spend so much time playing Tycoon...
The obsession i have with Tycoon is simply nuts honestly... i think i have played about 200+ matches however i started using the Den after beating the game since it undoubtedly improves the experience.

amageish

Smash Master
The obsession i have with Tycoon is simply nuts honestly... i think i have played about 200+ matches however i started using the Den after beating the game since it undoubtedly improves the experience.
That is an impressive number! I have been enjoying sprinkling it throughout the game thus far. I like the feeling of "Ooo! New party member! Screw this palace; time to go and see what their comments are like when playing Tycoon!".

Apparently they did use AI training to program the Tycoon AI, so... I'm guessing it's practice for something else in the future. *stares at the Persona Mario Party clone option in the past ATLUS new game survey*

Top Bottom