• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Plot twist, that is just her codename.
Pretty much my thoughts on that:

I mean, it would certainly not be based off her appearance like several of the other Phantom Thieves have. I am just wondering what sort of meaning "Unknown" would have either to the Phantom Thieves or Kasumi herself.

Personally, if her name was something else, I am thinking her codename would be some sort of twist on Joker, due to her connections to him, her outfit looking extremely similar to his and some theories that have been thrown around.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
To me, it feels like God randomly decided to grant me one wish and this is the result.
This is exactly how i feel lol

Seriously when I look at the other characters revealed for the pass I think "these guys make complete logical sense to be in smash, all three of them have a rich history associated with it"

I look at Joker and feel he's way too out of place but I love his inclusion anyway.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
This is exactly how i feel lol

Seriously when I look at the other characters revealed for the pass I think "these guys make complete logical sense to be in smash, all three of them have a rich history associated with it"

I look at Joker and feel he's way too out of place but I love his inclusion anyway.

Not only is P5 one of my favorite games of all time, and his reveal was one of my favorites in the series, but Jokers inclusion also gives me hope for a certain black & white robot bear to hopefully, one day appear in the future. (Wouldn’t even be considering him if it wasn’t for Joker, even though I know he is a longshot)

amageish

Smash Master
Anyone else still cannot believe he actually made it in Smash?
I think I finally finished processing it, like, a month or two go ago haha. He makes sense in retrospect and is a wonderful choice, but I also 100% assumed that I had fallen into a coma and was dreaming when he was first announced...

KatKit

Smash Lord
I was reading P5R spoilers when I randomly across some P5 phone wallpapers. These are all pretty good. Ann's not on there, but with a little Google-fu, I found this gem. And one for Ryuji. I'm not sure how many of y'all actually browse this site on mobile like I do, but that's for you, pal.

Also... I regret looking at the spoilers. Although I'm still hype for the game, some things simply cannot be unread. Please err on the side of caution. It's probably better to just avoid them. Seriously.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I was reading P5R spoilers when I randomly across some P5 phone wallpapers. These are all pretty good. Ann's not on there, but with a little Google-fu, I found this gem. And one for Ryuji. I'm not sure how many of y'all actually browse this site on mobile like I do, but that's for you, pal.

Also... I regret looking at the spoilers. Although I'm still hype for the game, some things simply cannot be unread. Please err on the side of caution. It's probably better to just avoid them. Seriously.
Without spoiling anything, has there been really massive changes to the story?

amageish

Smash Master

I'm sorry you regret the spoilers. Hopefully you didn't learn everything and, even if you did, I'm sure the game will be a good experience nonetheless. Hopefully we get a better release window soon, as we haven't heard anything since the E3 trailer, apart from that alleged Game Informer leak that still has to be confirmed...

I've been avoiding spoilers, but did find out one twist in what may be the most unlikely way to be spoiled about something ever: two people loudly discussing it near where I was eating lunch IRL. I didn't consider "spoilers being discussed in real life" as a possibility when muting words on every social media platform... Oops...

KatKit

Smash Lord
Thanks. I'm good, but I think an old Blazblue quote sums up my reaction.

Yikes, that sucks. We aren't even safe in the real world. D: I'm still going to play and enjoy P5R, but as expected, P5S is the sequel and will close up a lot of loose ends.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yikes, that sucks. We aren't even safe in the real world. D: I'm still going to play and enjoy P5R, but as expected, P5S is the sequel and will close up a lot of loose ends.
Interesting! I assumed it was a P5R sequel, but didn't realize it was actually going to have loose ends to tie up. I had assumed that it would cut new ends to make them loose, then tie those up, as Persona spin-offs are wanton to do.

That also makes it being on Switch and not P5R slightly more awkward, but oh well.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Yep, they made it more sequel hook-ish lol.

If Scramble is anything like P4Arena, the dialogue will help get everyone up to speed without being awkward. I started with P4A first, and it told me about most of the main characters/events in P3 and P4 simultaneously, while still managing to be a solid sequel/self-contained story. I jumped on the RPGs afterward with total foresight, and it was an interesting experience. I think Scramble can pull it off.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm sorry you regret the spoilers. Hopefully you didn't learn everything and, even if you did, I'm sure the game will be a good experience nonetheless. Hopefully we get a better release window soon, as we haven't heard anything since the E3 trailer, apart from that alleged Game Informer leak that still has to be confirmed...

I've been avoiding spoilers, but did find out one twist in what may be the most unlikely way to be spoiled about something ever: two people loudly discussing it near where I was eating lunch IRL. I didn't consider "spoilers being discussed in real life" as a possibility when muting words on every social media platform... Oops...
I have had that happen to me before, but it was always with things like blockbuster movies, not the details of a game released in Japan What were you spoiled about? Just PM me or put it in a spoiler tab.

amageish

Smash Master
If Scramble is anything like P4Arena, the dialogue will help get everyone up to speed without being awkward. I started with P4A first, and it told me about most of the main characters/events in P3 and P4 simultaneously, while still managing to be a solid sequel/self-contained story. I jumped on the RPGs afterward with total foresight, and it was an interesting experience. I think Scramble can pull it off.
True! I'm glad that progression into the series worked out for you. I do like how the spin-offs largely keep the main twists somewhat opaqued, though I don't know how plausible that will be in Scramble. I'm excited for both games for sure though.

I have had that happen to me before, but it was always with things like blockbuster movies, not the details of a game released in Japan What were you spoiled about? Just PM me or put it in a spoiler tab.
Yeah, I'm kind of impressed it happened haha. I'll PM you to avoid people being tempted by spoiler tabs.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So I kinda spoiled myself on Royal.

...To be honest I'm kinda glad I decided not to buy this right away, I don't think there's enough new content to justify the price when you can buy the original game for like 20 dollars.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I think it's mostly what they advertised it as: the definitive edition with new songs, gameplay, balance tweaks, more story/dialogue, a new dungeon, a new playable character, more social links, etc. It'll be more interesting to play than it is to watch. If you own the first game and don't mind waiting: get it at a discount. If not? Day 1 purchase.

Personally, even though I think the game is worth the price tag, I was always going to wait for a discount. However, Scramble (and Arena) is a different story; those were always day 1 purchases for me lol.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
What is and is not worth full-price is definitely subjective from person to person. It's definitely worth it for me, as I know I will actually finish a Persona game, while I sometimes find myself buying games at full price and then doing very little with them, effectively throwing money down the drain... I also really want to know what happens and feel it's more fun to experience it then read a wiki synopsis to prepare for Scramble.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I never really said the content was bad or anything, I'm just comparing both versions of the game.

Persona 5 right now got a massive price drop, and despite the new content in Royal being good I don't think it's good enough to justify the forty extra dollars you'd end up paying for it. It really feels like this should have just been DLC

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I never really said the content was bad or anything, I'm just comparing both versions of the game.

Persona 5 right now got a massive price drop, and despite the new content in Royal being good I don't think it's good enough to justify the forty extra dollars you'd end up paying for it. It really feels like this should have just been DLC
I'm not certain if it could have been? They have changed so much random stuff (bossfights are different mechanically, palace upgrades, new mechanics for shadow encounters, showtime attacks as a thing, etc.) throughout the game that it seems like it would end up being a comedically big download if it was DLC, plus you certainly couldn't add it into an existing playthrough... I'd also bet at least part of the reason the price drop and constant sales have occured is because it's about to be an outdated version.

I mean, it's still up to the individual person if it is worth it or not and you certainly are free to wait for a sale, but I don't think it's objectively not worthwhile or anything. It's definitely an enhanced version and I don't think they could tell the story they are telling with an expansion pack...

KatKit

Smash Lord
I mean, folks speed running the game on easy is going to make it seem like less content than it actually is, and there are probably more secrets in NG+. Personally, it met my expectations, but I tried to keep them realistic.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Personally, I'm going to wait for Scramble first and play that before playing Royal. I want to be able to pick up where I left off when I beat the game 2 years ago, and experience a new story. Plus, I'm already engaged in other JRPGS in the moment, with a few more coming up that I'm excited for, and playing them takes priority over an amped up version of a game I've already played.

I'm still excited to play Royal though. I want to see what they do with my boy Akechi this time round. Plus, there are some tracks I just want to here in the game so bad, such as these.

amageish

Smash Master

So, there is a livestream for P5S news going on soon. I'm sure most, if not all, of us will be sleeping, but something interesting is happening: Atlus Japan has approved a dual-language (English and Japanese) VTuber doing an official reaction stream. This implies they realize that English-language audiences are also paying attention to their Japanese-language announcements! Woo-hoo!

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Imagine in mid 2017 someone telling you that Persona, Banjo, and Doom would all be in the same universe

D

Deleted member

Gentlepanda Gentlepanda shared at the Ultimate Social thread that if you have a save file of P5R/P5 on PS4 or a Smash save file on Switch you will get music from P5 and P5R on Scramble!

That is really awesome for a bonus!

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

So, there is a livestream for P5S news going on soon. I'm sure most, if not all, of us will be sleeping, but something interesting is happening: Atlus Japan has approved a dual-language (English and Japanese) VTuber doing an official reaction stream. This implies they realize that English-language audiences are also paying attention to their Japanese-language announcements! Woo-hoo!
come to think of it, we don't even have a P5S english announcement yet, do we?

KatKit

Smash Lord
I called out Smash cross-promotion happening, and 1 year after Joker's anniversary and closer to the worldwide release date of P5S, I think Switch owners will get another bonus for owning both Smash and Scramble.

Anyway, I need to check out that video; I still haven't seen it yet.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That awkward moment when all you want to do in a Persona themed warriors game is to play as Yusuke and Makoto but the game gives you all the incentive in the world to not do that

amageish

Smash Master
come to think of it, we don't even have a P5S english announcement yet, do we?
We haven't, but I wouldn't worry about it. I'm trying to think of the last time ATLUS confirmed a game that wasn't a mainline SMT or Persona JRPG for localization prior to its Japanese release and can't think of any examples haha.

I called out Smash cross-promotion happening, and 1 year after Joker's anniversary and closer to the worldwide release date of P5S, I think Switch owners will get another bonus for owning both Smash and Scramble.
I don't know if they'll put a whole echo behind it, as that would probably spark some controversy about "$60 DLC" (especially if Joker remains a top-tier character), but I definitely expect something. Maybe they add P5S songs, as the bonus you get from owning Smash is extra songs in P5S? That'd be suitably parallel.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I mean... they can also sell her on the side for those who don't own both games.

Anyway, fun fact: Sophia's name is connected to Yaldabaoth. That's definitely going to be a part of her story somehow. With that being said, she looks super fun to use and more cartoony than the rest of the crew (sans Morgana).

Ann attacks slower than I imagined, but she's still going to be my main.

Scramble keeps looking better by the minute. Good Lord.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One last thing for me to say before I go into hiatus from this thread.

It's getting harder by the day for me to believe that Kasumi is getting in Ultimate as anything but a bonus spirit. There is possible evidence in the data that she was going to be a Joker alt at some point, then they changed their minds and it didn't work out for unknown reasons. I'd rather accept the worst case scenario for Kasumi now, rather than go through the Five Stages of Grief by February.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I mean... they can also sell her on the side for those who don't own both games.

Anyway, fun fact: Sophia's name is connected to Yaldabaoth. That's definitely going to be a part of her story somehow. With that being said, she looks super fun to use and more cartoony than the rest of the crew (sans Morgana).

Ann attacks slower than I imagined, but she's still going to be my main.

Scramble keeps looking better by the minute. Good Lord.
True! That would be more plausible and probably go over better.

Yeah, I'm feeling kind of dumb as all of my P5R theories were based on Sophia being the final boss, as I figured that they would continue with gnosticism as a mythological grounding. I'm guessing a party member of P5S being named after her means I was not correct about that one... Oops!

Sophia does look pretty fun... Honestly, all of the characters look fun. The game looks very fun.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You know from day 1 I always kinda got the vibe that Persona 5 goes really well with Kingdom hearts for some reason, but theres one song in Royal that really cements that for me.

I think it's called the madman, this song fits perfectly in the final area of a KH game.

amageish

Smash Master
New P5S trailer was released this morning, showing off a bit more of Joker in a non-long-gameplay-stream format.

Not much new to say... The game looks very good. I'm excited for it and would consider importing the Japanese version depending on the length of the wait for localization...

So, yeah. Looking cool, Joker!

Edit: Also, to anyone here who is PlayStation-less, they have made vanilla P5 available through PS Now! This means you can stream it onto a PC.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I wonder if Sophie will be added to Smash as a spirit like how The Tocckles and Partner Pikachu were added?

Phantom strikers already has connectivity with Smash so it's possible

Top Bottom