• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Persona 5 Royal will add spanish subtitles to the game unlike Regular P5:

Really great news.

amageish

Smash Master
¡Eso es fantastico! Es triste que el primer juego no los tuviera, pero esto es bueno.

La publicidad de Scramble es extraña... They've been doing livestreams to reveal 2-minute character trailers every Friday for the last little while, but they just suddenly are jumping from Yusuke to Haru this week...

As a Haru fan, I'm excited, but I am wondering what they plan on doing for Makoto, as she's been unceremoniously skipped over.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Persona 5 Royal will add spanish subtitles to the game unlike Regular P5:

Really great news.
Perfect! Here's hoping that the localization is at least as good as Final Fantasy XV's was.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
¡Eso es fantastico! Es triste que el primer juego no los tuviera, pero esto es bueno.

La publicidad de Scramble es extraña... They've been doing livestreams to reveal 2-minute character trailers every Friday for the last little while, but they just suddenly are jumping from Yusuke to Haru this week...

As a Haru fan, I'm excited, but I am wondering what they plan on doing for Makoto, as she's been unceremoniously skipped over.
Their just giving Haru her screentime.

Or Makoto's a dlc character, warriors games always have DLC characters.

osby

Smash Obsessed

She's not. We know for a fact that all thieves are playable from the get-go and she's such a random character to make DLC.

amageish

Smash Master

Makoto's confirmed to be in the game and the press demos they did last week included her as playable... I'm wondering if they're holding her back for something? Or just wanting to show her last as (i) she's popular and (ii) she has a motorcycle persona, which is going to instantly make her approach to battle at least a tiny bit different.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
She's not. We know for a fact that all thieves are playable from the get-go and she's such a random character to make DLC.
I didn't know we already saw them all playable from the start

I mean to be fair she's almost always seen as the popular character, so it's an easy money making scheme to sell a hypothetical dlc. Along with Akechi, Kasumi, Yu and P3Makoto.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Remember when I said this last week?

Apparently it's just that they didn't feel like following patterns. *shrugs*

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Apparently it's just that they didn't feel like following patterns. *shrugs*
Patterns don't exist, that's the motto for the game industry now. :^)

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure why it's seemingly difficult to think that anything could happen at any time and for no particular reason, much like how our lives don't always go as planned. The comfort of routine, I guess.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I was unironically okay with Scramble, but I guess Strikers sounds more natural:

Also, completely unrelated rant about Persona 5 Royal and fandom, feel free to ignore:

Oh boy, some Joker/Crow shippers have already started to **** on Yoshizawa. Just when I was warming up to Akechi...

Why it's so hard for this fanbase to ship guys together without turning girls into scapegoats?

amageish

Smash Master
In all seriousness though, I'm not sure why it's seemingly difficult to think that anything could happen at any time and for no particular reason, much like how our lives don't always go as planned. The comfort of routine, I guess.
I mean, I didn't expect they were hiding something or anything. It was just kind of odd to break the pattern, especially as even the Famitsu coverage put Makoto before Haru. I guess they just didn't have the trailer ready or something, but it was still kind of odd.

Also, completely unrelated rant about Persona 5 Royal and fandom, feel free to ignore:

Oh boy, some Joker/Crow shippers have already started to **** on Yoshizawa. Just when I was warming up to Akechi...

Why it's so hard for this fanbase to ship guys together without turning girls into scapegoats?
People don't like it when a new character turns up and is marketed as "canon" option, I guess. I've been avoiding P5R spoilers, so idk if they go as far with it as they did with Marie, but I can kind of see the upset. I don't care myself, but a lot of people take their waifus more seriously then I do.

That said, I have 1000% seen similar complaints from people who ship Ren with Makoto, Futaba, Ann, etc. I imagine that Akechi people may be especially salty as a lot of people were hoping that his rewritten confidant would allow him to be persued romantically, which isn't an option AFIAK.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I was unironically okay with Scramble, but I guess Strikers sounds more natural:

Oh thank God they cut down on the obnoxiously long name.

Yep. That'll happen to any series where they reveal the canon love interest for the protag.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Man, I watched the new gameplay clips for Strikers and it just gets me more pumped for the full game, I hope they announce the English release date soon.

Today is the anniversary of Tokyo Mirage Sessions' first release, 4 years ago. It might get a warmer reception this go-round.
It's coming out in january, right? Never got to play the original.

amageish

Smash Master
P-Team leader Kazuhisa Wada is doing his year wrap-up talk and has said that they aim to have more simultaneous information for Persona titles in Japan and the West for the future. I do not know if I trust them, given how their year-end wrap-up talks often say things that don't come true (I'm looking at you, promises of SMTV news in 2019), but it'd be great if it happened...

D

Deleted member

P-Team leader Kazuhisa Wada is doing his year wrap-up talk and has said that they aim to have more simultaneous information for Persona titles in Japan and the West for the future. I do not know if I trust them, given how their year-end wrap-up talks often say things that don't come true (I'm looking at you, promises of SMTV news in 2019), but it'd be great if it happened...
Hopefully this means a western release of Scramble is possible.

amageish

Smash Master
Hopefully this means a western release of Scramble is possible.
Oh, "Persona 5 Strikers" is already trademarked with a new logo and Nintendo included it on their list of upcoming releases, so that's definitely happening. I'm just hoping it means we'll no longer have things like the Catherine Full Body event at E3 last year where they announced "surprising new features" that were already known as the Japanese version had been out for months.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Do my eyes deceive me, or are they actually using Jack Frost for once?

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Hello Phantom Thieve Lovers, iv'e come her to ask a question for help, you see iv'e been thinking about playing Persona 5 since joker's in smash, but i am a bit frusturated with the romance links,i want to be able to go with one girl and not be able to heart break the others if i decide to help them, but i want to know if their social links come at random and if there's problems for ignoring them. i want to be able to play this game normally.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hello Phantom Thieve Lovers, iv'e come her to ask a question for help, you see iv'e been thinking about playing Persona 5 since joker's in smash, but i am a bit frusturated with the romance links,i want to be able to go with one girl and not be able to heart break the others if i decide to help them, but i want to know if their social links come at random and if there's problems for ignoring them. i want to be able to play this game normally.
When it comes to romance, the game's usually very clear about whether you're going to be taking the conversation in a romantic direction or not, and the romance aspect doesn't happen until rank 9 for most of the women. (Haru's happens at rank 7, from what I've read online, but at the point that she's introduced, you'll basically need to drop everything and focus on improving her social link if you want to get her to that point)

Also, make sure to increase Joker's social stats. You might want to follow a guide for that because it can be pretty tough, and it's absolutely required for some of the storylines. (for Makoto, you need 3/5 Knowledge just to start it, and 5/5 Charm to get beyond rank 5 out of 10)

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
When it comes to romance, the game's usually very clear about whether you're going to be taking the conversation in a romantic direction or not, and the romance aspect doesn't happen until rank 9 for most of the women. (Haru's happens at rank 7, from what I've read online, but at the point that she's introduced, you'll basically need to drop everything and focus on improving her social link if you want to get her to that point)

Also, make sure to increase Joker's social stats. You might want to follow a guide for that because it can be pretty tough, and it's absolutely required for some of the storylines. (for Makoto, you need 3/5 Knowledge just to start it, and 5/5 Charm to get beyond rank 5 out of 10)
where's all of that? is it in a guide book?

amageish

Smash Master
There is a consistent schedule for when the different characters are available and busy. There is no jealousy mechanic in P5, so you don't need to worry about characters losing interest in you if you ignore them for long periods of time. If you want to be able to complete every confidant, then I highly recommend using a walkthrough of some kind, though it's probably too late to do that if you have gotten further into the game. The game isn't exactly designed for someone to be able to do all the confidants; it assumes you will pick and choose, especially on a first playthrough.

As for romance, it will be painfully obvious when someone is asking about if you want to romance them or not. You'll usually have two dialogue options with one being some sort of cheesy pick-up line and the other being a tacit rejection. You can also follow guides for this sort of thing if you have concern.

That said, if you want to "play this game normally," then I think you can just wing it. You may not always naturally pick the objectively-best option or maximize your time for efficiency, but also it's fun to just relax and hang out with your confidants.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
where's all of that? is it in a guide book?
There's guides online (use the guides for the school questions and exams, which boost Joker's Knowledge stat - the information that they ask about can get really obscure, though it usually ties into something going on in the main story, albeit loosely). The game also gives you the option to connect to the internet, which lets you see the decisions that other players made on that day.

These five images can give you an idea of what boosts the social stats, (each word is a separate image) though there might be minor spoilers in here. Keep in mind that I'm not an expert by any means; I just played through the game my own way, and I only wound up maxing out a handful of the social links (Ryuji, Ann, Futaba, some story-required ones, and a handful of supporting characters)

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
There is a consistent schedule for when the different characters are available and busy. There is no jealousy mechanic in P5, so you don't need to worry about characters losing interest in you if you ignore them for long periods of time. If you want to be able to complete every confidant, then I highly recommend using a walkthrough of some kind, though it's probably too late to do that if you have gotten further into the game. The game isn't exactly designed for someone to be able to do all the confidants; it assumes you will pick and choose, especially on a first playthrough.

As for romance, it will be painfully obvious when someone is asking about if you want to romance them or not. You'll usually have two dialogue options with one being some sort of cheesy pick-up line and the other being a tacit rejection. You can also follow guides for this sort of thing if you have concern.

That said, if you want to "play this game normally," then I think you can just wing it. You may not always naturally pick the objectively-best option or maximize your time for efficiency, but also it's fun to just relax and hang out with your confidants.
this was somewhat helpful, so do i not worry about the game wanting to check every link or forcing me? and i don't like the idea of rejection, i want to go with one girl i like(hint: she loves horror movies), but i feel ignoring their links will have them question why i didn't respond.

P.S. i don't own the game, so i did not play it.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
this was somewhat helpful, so do i not worry about the game wanting to check every link or forcing me? and i don't like the idea of rejection, i want to go with one girl i like(hint: she loves horror movies), but i feel ignoring their links will have them question why i didn't respond.
There are some links that are automatic (ex/ Morgana), but those ones are not romantic. The game has a calendar system and lets you generally decide who you want to hang out with and/or what activites you want to do (as you can also spend time fishing, working, reading, etc.). You will receive in-game texts from people if they're available, but nobody will question if you ignore them, even if you ignore them consistently.

I think it'd be easiest to just start the game and see how it functions; the systems sound much more complicated when explained in words then it is in practice.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

P.S. i don't own the game, so i did not play it.
The game certainly doesn't do that, so you don't have to worry about it. You can take quite a while between one rank for a character and the next, or refuse to hang out with them if you intended to do something else that day, and it won't change a thing.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
The game certainly doesn't do that, so you don't have to worry about it. You can take quite a while between one rank for a character and the next, or refuse to hang out with them if you intended to do something else that day, and it won't change a thing.
sounds rather wrong to do in real life, but thank you, this eases my worries* on the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXnI-FfYLjA

There are some links that are automatic (ex/ Morgana), but those ones are not romantic. The game has a calendar system and lets you generally decide who you want to hang out with and/or what activites you want to do (as you can also spend time fishing, working, reading, etc.). You will receive in-game texts from people if they're available, but nobody will question if you ignore them, even if you ignore them consistently.

I think it'd be easiest to just start the game and see how it functions; the systems sound much more complicated when explained in words then it is in practice.
thanks, this might put my worries on the game to rest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXnI-FfYLjA

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, there is sure a lot going on, some of which I have no clue what to make of. Kinda funny how the title at the end slyly acknowledges that, yeah, this is pretty much Persona 5 2.

Link, because the preview image seems kinda major for the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka8SoGxfH3E

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
hey persona fans, i have persona 5 now so i can at least plan out my goals within the game, but i have seem to encounter a brand new problem.
apparently bad endings are a thing in this game and i can't seem to get a clear idea on one of those endings to avoid it. i learn about the deadlines and a little bit of the 7th palace but you get a bad ending from the questions of sae and i feel i might have screwed up in one of her interrogations. does messing up once effect things because i'm afraid of going back to fix it?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
hey persona fans, i have persona 5 now so i can at least plan out my goals within the game, but i have seem to encounter a brand new problem.
apparently bad endings are a thing in this game and i can't seem to get a clear idea on one of those endings to avoid it. i learn about the deadlines and a little bit of the 7th palace but you get a bad ending from the questions of sae and i feel i might have screwed up in one of her interrogations. does messing up once effect things because i'm afraid of going back to fix it?
From what I recall, the only time that your answers to the interrogations matter is at the very end, and the game will be VERY clear about what you're supposed to answer. (Sae asks Joker if he wants to sell out all of his friends, associates, etc. - obviously, you're not supposed to do that)

As for the deadlines, they're usually pretty generous - you can likely beat the palaces over the course of a few days and then spend the rest of the time until the deadline is up exploring Mementos, hanging out with friends, doing things to boost your stats, etc. I found it best to get through the palace as early as possible.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
From what I recall, the only time that your answers to the interrogations matter is at the very end, and the game will be VERY clear about what you're supposed to answer. (Sae asks Joker if he wants to sell out all of his friends, associates, etc. - obviously, you're not supposed to do that)

As for the deadlines, they're usually pretty generous - you can likely beat the palaces over the course of a few days and then spend the rest of the time until the deadline is up exploring Mementos, hanging out with friends, doing things to boost your stats, etc. I found it best to get through the palace as early as possible.
i always knew doing the palace quickly was possible, but what i mean is does the game get effected from the other questions before the very end.

amageish

Smash Master
Well, there is sure a lot going on, some of which I have no clue what to make of. Kinda funny how the title at the end slyly acknowledges that, yeah, this is pretty much Persona 5 2.

Link, because the preview image seems kinda major for the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka8SoGxfH3E
I'll toss some thoughts in a spoiler! These thoughts do contain base game P5 spoilers, so stay spoiler-safe everyone.

That is an impressive trailer. Makoto's gameplay still looks super fun and unique, even by Warriors games standards. Jean Valjean being a Persona is perfect theming to the motif of rebellion and, if it is the persona of the police officer and he's actually a pro-Thief double-agent, then that's some great parallelism/reversal of the base game.

Dungeons overall look very cool and I'm a fan - I still find it funny that Persona 5 Strikers and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE share a real-world inspiration for their first dungeons.

The new colour contrast form is probably just a variant on shadows, which is probably good because "One cannot have a shadow self and a persona" is kind of a fundamental rule of Persona and it was kind of weird to break it; however, the decision to make the probably-evil versions of the Phantom Thieves have darker skin is... a decision.

Overall, I'm excited for P5S still. It looks solid.

Also, all of the people being like "Too bad this game is Japan-exclusive" must be very very very new here, given how Persona 5 (Royal), Catherine Full Body, and Shin Megami Tensei V are the only games in a long time where ATLUS has announced the localization of the game prior to it releasing out in Japan.

i always knew doing the palace quickly was possible, but what i mean is does the game get effected from the other questions before the very end.
The only questions that matter are towards the end. They're also fairly obvious, all things considered.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'll toss some thoughts in a spoiler! These thoughts do contain base game P5 spoilers, so stay spoiler-safe everyone.

That is an impressive trailer. Makoto's gameplay still looks super fun and unique, even by Warriors games standards. Jean Valjean being a Persona is perfect theming to the motif of rebellion and, if it is the persona of the police officer and he's actually a pro-Thief double-agent, then that's some great parallelism/reversal of the base game.

Dungeons overall look very cool and I'm a fan - I still find it funny that Persona 5 Strikers and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE share a real-world inspiration for their first dungeons.

The new colour contrast form is probably just a variant on shadows, which is probably good because "One cannot have a shadow self and a persona" is kind of a fundamental rule of Persona and it was kind of weird to break it; however, the decision to make the probably-evil versions of the Phantom Thieves have darker skin is... a decision.

Overall, I'm excited for P5S still. It looks solid.

Also, all of the people being like "Too bad this game is Japan-exclusive" must be very very very new here, given how Persona 5 (Royal), Catherine Full Body, and Shin Megami Tensei V are the only games in a long time where ATLUS has announced the localization of the game prior to it releasing out in Japan.
I certainly wasn't expecting him to possibly be on the Phantom Thieves side. He kinda radiated main bad energy, but admittedly, seeing him kinda be a doof fits.

And what is that?

I am actually thinking the new Joker is actually Joker himself, just in a new form. Don't know what that could entail, but it's certainly a possibility.

It's looking very good. Doubt anyone was expecting this game to be the full on sequel it's being marketed as.

amageish

Smash Master
I certainly wasn't expecting him to possibly be on the Phantom Thieves side. He kinda radiated main bad energy, but admittedly, seeing him kinda be a doof fits.

And what is that?

I am actually thinking the new Joker is actually Joker himself, just in a new form. Don't know what that could entail, but it's certainly a possibility.

It's looking very good. Doubt anyone was expecting this game to be the full on sequel it's being marketed as.
I wasn't expecting it at all either and am kind of surprised they didn't just leave it to be a twist in the game. I like the idea of an older persona user as well, as we haven't had those since... Persona 2.

The department store Shibuya 109, which is turned into Shibuya 106 for TMS#FE and Shibuya 705 for Strikers. Both dungeons seem to play up how the area is a fashion hub and have some sort of fashionsta as their bosses though.

Oh, it could be him going Super Sayian I suppose. That'd be very over-the-top, but this game looks like it took Persona 5's style then made it... more... somehow. I'm not even sure how to feel about it, as its just so intense.

Yeah, they maybe should have started with a more extensive trailer then just "Joker stands on a streetlight," as people didn't take to that very well. Now this is getting a warmer reception then P5R is on some parts of the internet.

Also, how do you feel about this person who definitely won't be important and is totally a random NPC, hence her... having a portrait.

Top Bottom