• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
Q2 is a lot of fun! I love Etrian Odyssey in general, but this has been a good variation on it.

Today has been crazy news wise and it's about to get crazier.
Woo-hoo! More trailers will be fun. Here's hoping we get an arcana or codename.

Jokes on them, I woke up at 12 PM today. I am so hype right now and it's not even because of this or Pokemon.
What are you hyped about?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What are you hyped about?
The game that defined my childhood getting a remaster, Spongebob Squarepants Battle for Bikini Bottom. It's quite a great platformer and is seen as one of the best licensed games of all time, as well a surprisingly great speed running game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The game that defined my childhood getting a remaster, Spongebob Squarepants Battle for Bikini Bottom. It's quite a great platformer and is seen as one of the best licensed games of all time, as well a surprisingly great speed running game.
Neat, another person of good taste.

Though my only concern is (besides whether Mr. Krabs will be redubbed by Clancy Brown) that since Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy have had their involvement in the show de-emphasized ever since Borgnine passed away, I don't know if they'll be kept in the game, especially with Conway having died last month. Sure, they could get soundalike VAs, but it would still feel a tad awkward. Though a memoriam would be kept in mind, undoubtedly.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Though my only concern is (besides whether Mr. Krabs will be redubbed by Clancy Brown) that since Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy have had their involvement in the show de-emphasized ever since Borgnine passed away, I don't know if they'll be kept in the game, especially with Conway having died last month. Sure, they could get soundalike VAs, but it would still feel a tad awkward.
Yeah, it really is a great game. I can't play the original anymore because my PS2 broke, but I still often turn on some tunes from the game when I listen to game music.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Heck, Mermaid Man was voiced by a different actor in the original game(Who was not that good when I look back at it) and that was before he died, so I am sure they will be kept in with soundalikes. I just hope they actually get Mr. Krabs voice actor this time around.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, it really is a great game. I can't play the original anymore because my PS2 broke, but I still often turn on some tunes from the game when I listen to game music.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Heck, Mermaid Man was voiced by a different actor in the original game(Who was not that good when I look back at it) and that was before he died, so I am sure they will be kept in with soundalikes. I just hope they actually get Mr. Krabs voice actor this time around.
Yeah, unless Mr. Brown is busy, there's no excuse not to have Krabs sound like, well, Krabs.

That being said, not sure what to expect with this incoming trailer. PT name would be nice, at least.

amageish

Smash Master
Oh, nice! I did hear about that remake, but my SpongeBob video game experience from my childhood was with a different game, so I lack the nostalgia for it. Great that people are excited about it though!

And the obvious solution for casting is to replace all the voices with the cast of the 5-Drama-Desk-award-winning and 1-Tony-award-winning musical. Problem solved.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, unless Mr. Brown is busy, there's no excuse not to have Krabs sound like, well, Krabs.

That being said, not sure what to expect with this incoming trailer. PT name would be nice, at least.
Yeah, I think it would be easy enough, especially in this day and age of Spongebob.

As for the trailer, since it is Kasumi focus, I am expecting to see stuff like codename, Persona and arcana. Just general character specific stuff.
Oh, nice! I did hear about that remake, but my SpongeBob video game experience from my childhood was with a different game, so I lack the nostalgia for it. Great that people are excited about it though!

And the obvious solution for casting is to replace all the voices with the cast of the 5-Drama-Desk-award-winning and 1-Tony-award-winning musical. Problem solved.
I would recommend trying out out someday, especially if this remake is good.

Also, I heard the musical was good, but I did not realize it was that good.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Though my only concern is (besides whether Mr. Krabs will be redubbed by Clancy Brown) that since Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy have had their involvement in the show de-emphasized ever since Borgnine passed away, I don't know if they'll be kept in the game, especially with Conway having died last month. Sure, they could get soundalike VAs, but it would still feel a tad awkward. Though a memoriam would be kept in mind, undoubtedly.
Honestly I would rather they keep that part in the game, it might be a bit awkward but it's my favorite part of that game

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly I would rather they keep that part in the game, it might be a bit awkward but it's my favorite part of that game
Yeah, the Mermaid Lair is a great level. Great atmosphere, in property location, music that would fit right into a classic Batman TV show, great puzzles(Except for that one) and a great boss. And with them adding a bunch of stuff to this remake, I doubt they will be getting rid of anything.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I would recommend trying out out someday, especially if this remake is good.

Also, I heard the musical was good, but I did not realize it was that good.
Good to know! I'll see how the remake turns out.

And it did pretty well for itself! It has a weird amount of famous Broadway actors in it, a weird amount of famous musicians writing the score (including Jonathan Coulton ((of Portal fame)), They Might Be Giants, Sara Bareilles and more), and a weird amount of care put into the story (which has some not-super-subtle allegories in it). It also has 4-legged tapdancing, so it's a spectacle if nothing else.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
And it did pretty well for itself! It has a weird amount of famous Broadway actors in it, a weird amount of famous musicians writing the score (including Jonathan Coulton ((of Portal fame)), They Might Be Giants, Sara Bareilles and more), and a weird amount of care put into the story (which has some not-super-subtle allegories in it). It also has 4-legged tapdancing, so it's a spectacle if nothing else.
All I ever heard/remembered about it was that one time the person who played Patrick did the "My mind is an enigma" bit and everyone applauded.

As much as I love talking about Spongebob in the Joker social thread, Kasumi news is on the horizon. Any last minute predictions on Kasumi's traits in case anyone wants to call stuff?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Well, that was short, but sweet.

Interesting clip of a new dungeon... Also interesting she seems to awaken when you're only with Morgana?!? Maybe she isn't the person stealing dreams, but instead is your ally in fighting that person?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, that was short, but sweet.

Interesting clip of a new dungeon... Also interesting she seems to awaken when you're only with Morgana?!? Maybe she isn't the person stealing dreams, but instead is your ally in fighting that person?
Yeah, the rest of the Phantom Thieves are gone...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well they just aired the kasumi bit. We saw her persona. It didnt have wings and really lookgs different. Feminine. Could be empress or maybe a new dancer type?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well they just aired the kasumi bit. We saw her persona. It didnt have wings and really lookgs different. Feminine. Could be empress or maybe a new dancer type?
What is that garment it has draped behind them?

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, the rest of the Phantom Thieves are gone...
I mean...

Given Mangana and Futaba's mother, it seems very possible that their dreams come true and you need to re-convince them to join you. So, you, Kasumi, and a Morgana (who realizes he isn't meant to be a human for some reason?) take on the villain, slowly regaining allies throughout?

The new arcana appear to be from El Gran Tarot Esoterico, a Spanish deck. So, she's definitely one of the variants from that, we just don't know which one.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Apparently her Persona might be called Cendrillon. The reason I say this is because of this tweet.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Don't know if they translated stuff, but it's the best I got right now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Apparently her Persona might be called Cendrillon. The reason I say this is because of this tweet.
Ok I just heard it in the video. that's it. It really is dancing based all around. I really like it. Tho obviously doesn't connect with arsene

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ok I just heard it in the video. that's it. It really is dancing based all around. I really like it. Tho obviously doesn't connect with arsene
I think they are both French inspirations.

Also, Kasumi seems to be rather friendly with Joker even by Hawaii.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
She seemed friendly and a bit geeky in a way XD
Yeah, I am just wonder how Joker could respond. Her hunger also made an appearance again, so that seems to be a well defined trait. And for all her athletic skill, she seems to suck at baseball.

amageish

Smash Master
I think they are both French inspirations.

Also, Kasumi seems to be rather friendly with Joker even by Hawaii.
Yeah, they're both French, but Cendrillon still definitely stands out as a persona. She's a full-own hero character, not an anti-hero or villain. She does engage in some trickery, but she's not the person who organizes the trickery (that being the Fairy Godmother) and her main act of societal rebellion is having a prince fall in love with her when she's lower class... Definitely an atypical choice to manifest one's rebellion as, especially among all of the criminals the other thieves have.

They definitely seem to be playing up Kasumi as an opposite of Joker still. He was known as a criminal the moment he transferred; she is known as an award-winning gymnast the moment he transferred. She's definitely in the more privileged position, so it does speak kindly of her that she's willing to befriend him at all.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So, I got to my first chance to romance a character in Persona 5 and I'm super disappointed that it's basically the same as it was in Persona 4 Golden where you have these emotional scenes in which you either have to be a stoic and not very supportive, or just outright declaring your love for the character... This is the sort of thing that pushed me into the harem last time (along with the fact I'm terrible at replaying longer games) with Persona 4 Golden. I had told myself I wasn't just going to make a repeat of that with Persona 5 and just choose one... But here I am once again seriously debating what I'm going to do with romance options in Persona and a temptation to go full on harem route again.

Where's my emotionally supportive neutral options for the end of character arcs???

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, I got to my first chance to romance a character in Persona 5 and I'm super disappointed that it's basically the same as it was in Persona 4 Golden where you have these emotional scenes in which you either have to be a stoic and not very supportive, or just outright declaring your love for the character... This is the sort of thing that pushed me into the harem last time (along with the fact I'm terrible at replaying longer games) with Persona 4 Golden. I had told myself I wasn't just going to make a repeat of that with Persona 5 and just choose one... But here I am once again seriously debating what I'm going to do with romance options in Persona and a temptation to go full on harem route again.

Where's my emotionally supportive neutral options for the end of character arcs???
Who is the girl in question?

amageish

Smash Master

They're mostly better about it this time, actually. I assume you're referring to Ann's, as she is one of the only particularly callous rejections.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
They're mostly better about it this time, actually. I assume you're referring to Ann's, as she is one of the only particularly callous rejections.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Ann is a major outlier when it comes to romancing. There is one other rejection I can think of that really hurts, but that has less to do with how Joker acts and more so how the girl reacts to being friendzoned. You probably know who I am talking about.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So I just managed to pick the exact one that mirrors too much of Persona 4's bull**** decisions with romance? That's actually hilarious. I went in with a saved game right before I went to meet Ann for the level 9 confidant thing and I immediately realized were things were headed and was like, "Oh no, I know what's happening and they haven't done any better with these than in 4..."

I've never desperately wanted a middle option more when the game just gave me the options of, "You have me" or "You have the others."

That might make my decision making easier with regards to romance, but I still have the aforementioned problem of not generally replaying games like Persona 5 and also wanting to see all the romance options and how they play out. I guess I could save scum... but that's going to get exhausting real fast considering I already didn't particularly enjoy doing it for Ann... I guess I'll just have to make a decision when I get back to my pre-decision save file tomorrow haha.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So I just managed to pick the exact one that mirrors too much of Persona 4's bull**** decisions with romance? That's actually hilarious. I went in with a saved game right before I went to meet Ann for the level 9 confidant thing and I immediately realized were things were headed and was like, "Oh no, I know what's happening and they haven't done any better with these than in 4..."

I've never desperately wanted a middle option more when the game just gave me the options of, "You have me" or "You have the others."

That might make my decision making easier with regards to romance, but I still have the aforementioned problem of not generally replaying games like Persona 5 and also wanting to see all the romance options and how they play out. I guess I could save scum... but that's going to get exhausting real fast considering I already didn't particularly enjoy doing it for Ann... I guess I'll just have to make a decision when I get back to my pre-decision save file tomorrow haha.
Yeah, it's certainly not a good first impression, but it's really is just an Ann problem. Heck, the fact that we could tell you were talking about Ann really does showcase how separated this romance is from the rest.

amageish

Smash Master

Yeah. Basically every other dialogue option is either "I love you romantically" versus "I love you platonically, BFF" or "Cheesy Pick-Up-Line" versus "Normal Friendly Statement." Ann's is an outlier. Though, as EarlTamm mentioned, there are a couple other characters who will have a crush on Joker regardless of what you do, for better and for worse.

Nothing is as bad as rejecting Yumi in P4 though. That one is just mean.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
So am I the only one who thinks that if Kasumi ends up being a physical attacker, she would be the crit focused one (kinda like how Ryuji is brute force and Yusuke is Baton Passes and multi hits, though I could be wrong on the latter)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Saw a subtitled version on YT.

Yeah, I am just wonder how Joker could respond. Her hunger also made an appearance again, so that seems to be a well defined trait. And for all her athletic skill, she seems to suck at baseball.

Suffice it to say, she'd fare better at baseball in Smash. Definitely not in Yakuza though, sheesh…:p

Yeah. Basically every other dialogue option is either "I love you romantically" versus "I love you platonically, BFF" or "Cheesy Pick-Up-Line" versus "Normal Friendly Statement." Ann's is an outlier. Though, as EarlTamm mentioned, there are a couple other characters who will have a crush on Joker regardless of what you do, for better and for worse.

Nothing is as bad as rejecting Yumi in P4 though. That one is just mean.
Also, I heard that Joker lightly teases Ann regardless of your choices. He's a Lupin alright.

In any case, The Royal may fix up a few things, so it might be a moot point by Fall. Speaking of which, I kind of like the new cover art, even if it's a little less painterly.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Cendrillon is an interesting choice for a Persona for Kasumi. Not the kind I was thinking of, but I’ll take it.

Now that makes me think what her Ultimate Persona would be.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I wonder what is with that new palace. And palace is really the right word to use for that place. It seems to be a public location, as there is sofa. I am thinking that it may be a theater of some kind, as during Kasumi's awakening a spotlight is on her. That is also something that happened with Haru, but Kasumi's case seems much more symbolic and dynamic when compared to Haru, who only seemed to have it to highlight the style of the awakening itself.

amageish

Smash Master
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...na_5_royal_to_other_consoles_atlus_reiterates

See? Atlus is stubborn about these things. And I don't expect that to change, no matter how much the writer thinks so.
Okay, I have a conspiracy theory about Joker in Smash loosely related to this.

So, Nintendo picked the DLC. This has led a lot of people to question "Well, if P5 isn't on Switch, then why is Joker in Smash? Nintendo picked the DLC, so obviously they would have planned for it to be promotional."

Sakurai's book says that the DLC was planned without Sakurai's imput and just kinda sprung on him, in spite of him disagreeing with the concept of season passes.

What if Joker wasn't DLC for promotional reasons, but Nintendo trying to bribe Sakurai into continuing to develop Smash's DLC? Sakurai is also noted for being a Persona megafan. So, what if they included one of his favourite IPs as a kind of gift and motivation to continue heading development, even if he doesn't like the core idea of season passes.

Also, yeah. I do still think Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne will get a multiplatform remake, and I could maybe see a P4G port to Switch if SEGA handles it, but P5R has been explicitly designed for PS4 Pro. It'd be weird for them to be planning a downrezed version already, even if it does eventually happen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, I have a conspiracy theory about Joker in Smash loosely related to this.

So, Nintendo picked the DLC. This has led a lot of people to question "Well, if P5 isn't on Switch, then why is Joker in Smash? Nintendo picked the DLC, so obviously they would have planned for it to be promotional."

Sakurai's book says that the DLC was planned without Sakurai's imput and just kinda sprung on him, in spite of him disagreeing with the concept of season passes.

What if Joker wasn't DLC for promotional reasons, but Nintendo trying to bribe Sakurai into continuing to develop Smash's DLC? Sakurai is also noted for being a Persona megafan. So, what if they included one of his favourite IPs as a kind of gift and motivation to continue heading development, even if he doesn't like the core idea of season passes.

Also, yeah. I do still think Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne will get a multiplatform remake, and I could maybe see a P4G port to Switch if SEGA handles it, but P5R has been explicitly designed for PS4 Pro. It'd be weird for them to be planning a downrezed version already, even if it does eventually happen.
Nocturne seems like a far shot, considering that it hasn't been touched since the PS2 days, even with Dante from DMC in it. But we'll see I suppose.

The bribing possibility really does seem likely though. Up to now, it only seemed like Sakurai would have the final say on character picks for DLC again, only for things to not be that clear-cut ( also taking into account the earlier tweet about Sakurai including characters based on Nintendo's selection).

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Found this on ResetERA:

This made me kinda emotional, not gonna lie. It’s like Joker is saying “your turn.” With Persona and Banjo, basically all my favorite video game IPs are in Smash.

E3 can’t get here soon enough.

Top Bottom