• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
Kasumi's Arcana has been confirmed to be La Foi, which is kind of odd as it isn't from the tarot deck they took the counselor's card out of. I have limited tarot knowledge, but I do not have a clue where this one is from, assuming it isn't made up by ATLUS.

Also, Joker's grappling hook is looking to be pretty important in P5R. It'll be usable in the dungeons to help grab shadows from a distance. Definitely sounds like Smash knew about this in advance.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Kasumi's Arcana has been confirmed to be La Foi, which is kind of odd as it isn't from the tarot deck they took the counselor's card out of. I have limited tarot knowledge, but I do not have a clue where this one is from, assuming it isn't made up by ATLUS.

Also, Joker's grappling hook is looking to be pretty important in P5R. It'll be usable in the dungeons to help grab shadows from a distance. Definitely sounds like Smash knew about this in advance.
What does it seem to represent? Have we seen the design or know what the name means?

amageish

Smash Master
Interesting. If that's the case, her arc likely has some twist on Death's meaning of change.
Maybe? I feel like it probably has something to do with her seemingly having faith in humanity's ability to solve problems without the Thieves intervening...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I was stuck in the second dungeon of Q2 for 4 days, the boss fight there had such a big difficulty spike that I just gave up and decided to span a poison spell on it and just stall for time while the poison killed it

amageish

Smash Master
I was stuck in the second dungeon of Q2 for 4 days, the boss fight there had such a big difficulty spike that I just gave up and decided to span a poison spell on it and just stall for time while the poison killed it
Oh? I didn't find that one too bad, given how

you don't actually have to kill Yosukesaurus, but instead the other characters.

The main thing I find funny is how Haru and Makoto are basically needed during dungeon two. Everyone is weak to Psio and Nuke...

StormC

Smash Hero
Lookin back at some old posts of mine, and this aged well:

If Persona 5 isn't my favorite game (that'd be Metal Gear Solid), it's come closer to dethroning the king than any game I've played in the last decade.

Playing it was enough to get me excited about Joker and buy the pass for him alone, but there's still one character left who could surpass him in hype...

Well.

Technically two.

Persona and Banjo were basically the last video game franchises near and dear to my heart not yet in Smash. Sakurai really makes the dream happen.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I don't really support Joker/Ren. I've aforementioned that in my opinion, Joker along with Piranha Plant would both make great assist trophies instead of playable characters. Despite being iconic, Joker/Ren isn't a significantly iconic character who merits to be playable, which justifies why he merits to be an assist trophy. Joker/Ren is pretty much just as iconic as Shovel Knight who is an assist trophy for good.

I'm very dissappointed that Joker/Ren finally made in it. I would still like to have him present in the game, but never as a playable character. Which is why I want him as an assist trophy, although it's already too late.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't really support Joker/Ren. I've aforementioned that in my opinion, Joker along with Piranha Plant would both make great assist trophies instead of playable characters. Despite being iconic, Joker/Ren isn't a significantly iconic character who merits to be playable, which justifies why he merits to be an assist trophy.

I'm very dissappointed that Joker/Ren finally made in it. I would still like to have him present in the game, but never as a playable character. Which is why I want him as an assist trophy, although it's already too late.
okay man

weird to come in months after his reveal and release but okay

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I understand, but do you think Joker/Ren deserves to be an assist trophy instead of a playable character due to being insignificantly iconic.

no dude, persona 5 is one of the greatest RPGs ever made, helped create a mountain of Atlus fans, spawned massive memes that made it to all corners of the internet, and is the latest in a series that has been going for decades, and if you count the SMT history harkens back to the NES.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I don't really support Joker/Ren. I've aforementioned that in my opinion, Joker along with Piranha Plant would both make great assist trophies instead of playable characters. Despite being iconic, Joker/Ren isn't a significantly iconic character who merits to be playable, which justifies why he merits to be an assist trophy. Joker/Ren is pretty much just as iconic as Shovel Knight who is an assist trophy for good.

Whether you think a character has the merit to be playable or not is kinda suggestive.

IMO, I think Bomberman's toolkit lends better to the Assist Trophy role than Joker. Primarily because Bomberman as a character be condensed really easily into a simple concept.

- - - - -
As for Piranha Plant, that's sort of the point of it. It's supposed to be offputting.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Whether you think a character has the merit to be playable or not is kinda suggestive.

IMO, I think Bomberman's toolkit lends better to the Assist Trophy role than Joker. Primarily because Bomberman as a character be condensed really easily into a simple concept.
I think Bomberman could actually have enough moves to make a moveset, he could easily use his bombs in different ways that wouldn't be too OP. But on the other hand I think Quote (Cave Story), Beck (Mighty no 9), Shovel Knight, along with Joker/Ren would all be better Assist Trophy roles than Bomberman, because Bomberman has a potential to be playable.

Hmm.. Do you think both Bomberman and Joker/Ren merit to be playable?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I think Bomberman could actually have enough moves to make a moveset, he could easily use his bombs in different ways that wouldn't be too OP. But on the other hand I think Quote (Cave Story), Beck (Mighty no 9), Shovel Knight, along with Joker/Ren would all be better Assist Trophy roles than Bomberman, because Bomberman has a potential to be playable.

I'm not saying Bomberman doesn't have enough to work with to be playable, I'm just saying he has the ideal kit to be an assist trophy as well since he can effectively be minimized into a small movelist. Which, he was.
I feel like the characters you mentioned have a variety of tools that allow them to be playable, but also could be minimized so they can work as assist trophies as well. Except maybe Joker, but I guess you could have made it so every time he was summoned he could have pulled out a random Persona from a selection. But I don't think that really translates the character as well as it could for the platforming characters and Bomberman.

But, again, whether you think a character has the potential to be playable or not is suggestive. It's not like the characters you mention only run and gun/shovel. They also have a variety of unique weapons and tools that varies the gameplay from their primary weapon.

amageish

Smash Master

Uhhhh. This seems better-suited to post in the Unpopular Smash Opinions thread? Coming into the support thread for a character to complain about them seems like a weird move... Especially months after the character's release.

Standards for Smash iconicness is very subjective. That said, I'd say there is a very definitive argument that Joker is significantly iconic enough character to be playable: He is playable.

D

Deleted member

I remember you. You're that guy who made the Bomberman thread a while back.

Joker shouldn't be an Assist Trophy... at all. Bomberman can be made into a simplistic concept for an Assist Trophy... Joker does not and he has more interesting ideas for a moveset than Bomberman (he can still work as a fighter, but I'd argue Joker is more inspired of a character).
Not to mention that Joker is an iconic character. Look at how massive Persona 5 was compared to any other Persona game; sure they all were known and had recognition, but Persona 5 is arguably the most successful game in the series. Its sales and awards were most likely a deciding factor for including Joker into the Smash roster, as well as him gaining some quick popularity in gaming culture. There is a reason why Joker making the rounds in Smash and cameoing in games like Catherine and other franchises; it's because he's incredibly well-known.
Bomberman is well known and will always remain an icon, but I'd argue that Joker is more iconic than him. Persona 5 represents a big shift in the modern JRPG market and Joker is the forefront of this. And, lets be real here, Persona 5 is more recognizable and known than ANY Bomberman game.

Before you call me a hater, I am not. I am a huge Bomberman supporter and I used to run his support thread for Smash 4 and Ultimate. However, if I had to choose Joker or Bomberman, I would quickly pick Joker in a heartbeat.

For the record, I'm fine with Bomberman not being in until further notice. Maybe it'll actually get fans to pay attention to Master Higgins and Bonk...

By the way, Robbie Daymond is in CTR: Nitro-Fueled: https://twitter.com/SpyroUniverse/status/1142160837987241984.
I am currently playing (and close to beating) Spyro 2. I noticed that Hunter sounded significantly like Pancake Boy/Prompto/Tobin. Looks like I was right in assuming Robbie Daymond did the role.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
y'all going about bomberman and i just want to know why tf someone would want mighty number 9 to be repped in the game at all

like what

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Finally got to the fourth world in Persona Q2.

So far I really enjoyed the first 2 worlds and the third one can **** right off for how much of a difficulty spike it had.

StormC

Smash Hero

Hey man that's cool and all but look at these .GIFs

osby

Smash Obsessed

Well, Joker is playable now, so I guess you'll have to suck it up and cry in somewhere else.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, Joker is playable now, so I guess you'll have to suck it up and cry in somewhere else.
Amen.

>all this attention for Bomberman
>none for the other two big Hudson mascots Higgins and Bonk, who don't get anything, not even Super Bomberman R appearances

View attachment 228925

Meanwhile, Akechi moonlights as a mafia boss in a different universe:

https://twitter.com/robbiedaymond/status/1142145081081679872
I wouldn't have guessed that he also voiced Pinstripe. He's a very talented voice actor if he could pull off a role like that.

D

Deleted member

Just let Persona fans/Joker supporters enjoy their character now that he is finally in.

Let people have fun with games they like.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, since the twins are on the cover of P5R, do you think they will have an expanded role?
I have the feeling that Lavenza will do more, with the twins mostly doing the same thing.

D

Deleted member

I'm tired, why is there complaining about Joker now?
Because people think that just because MkLeo is winning with him so much that Joker is broken and carrying him when MkLeo is too good with him and too good in general.
Joker isn't broken or busted like Bayonetta was in Smash 4. He's just really good.

Don't worry though. When Hero and Banjo come out, people will find something new to complain about.

EDIT: Oh, are you talking about the guy from before? Just a serious case of, "I hate your character and they got in over this character that I want."

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Still beats the fan rules that assure that no one ever gets in as long as they're not third parties that don't have spirits and by the way there's only 2 DLC spots ever, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I mean, my lord, don't these people have anything better to do? :hulk:

At least CTR Nitro-Fueled is here, that'll occupy for a bit.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Don't worry though. When Hero and Banjo come out, people will find something new to complain about.
I'm actually happy that Hero and Banjo finally became playable. But I think Hero, Banjo and Bomberman should all be included along with Arthur (Ghost and Goblins), Ryu Hayabusa and Kyo (King of Fighters).

because he got in over ****ing mighty number nine
No, I'm not upset that Joker/Ren got in before Beck (Mighty no 9). It's because Joker/Ren got in over Bomberman, Ryu Hayabusa, and Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins. In fact I don't want Beck to be playable. But I would love to have Beck as an assist trophy for the same reason why I want Joker/Ren to be an assist trophy.

I understand, but it's like having Quote (Cave Story) as a playable character, and having Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins) as an assist trophy, despite Arthur being more iconic than Quote. When in my opinion, it should be vice-versa.

My power level readings are all tied up. The reason why Bomberman, Ryu, Cloud, Simon, Ryu Hayabusa, Kyo (King of Fighters), Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins), and Hero all merit to be playable, is because they have significant levels of iconicness. On the other hand, Joker/Ren, Quote (Cave Story), Beck, Shovel Knight, Akira (Virtura Fighter), and Yuri (Fatal Frame) are are equally iconic. In fact, they don't have the significant level of iconicness to be playable as of now in my opinion, So if Joker/Ren is just as iconic as all of those characters, why are Shovel Knight, Akira (Virtura Fighter), and Yuri (Fatal Frame) assist trophies (since they deserve to be), but have Joker/Ren as a playable character, despite being less iconic.

Well, on the bright side, we can still have both Bomberman and Joker/Ren be playable characters. I would be even happier if Yu-_____ (Yu-Gi-Oh) became an assist trophy if Bomerman became playable in Smash 6.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But I would love to have Beck as an assist trophy for the same reason why I want Joker/Ren to be an assist trophy.
I think you have completely misinterpreted the assist trophy if you think it's about characters that don't deserve to be playable.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I think you have completely misinterpreted the assist trophy if you think it's about characters that don't deserve to be playable.
Well in my opinion, I think assist trophies are reserved for uniconic, undericonic, unwanted, or rejected playable characters. And well, some rejections can be justified, like not having enough time to make him/her a playable character or not being iconic or popular. While others are just potential no-good excuses.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Well in my opinion, I think assist trophies are reserved for uniconic, undericonic, unwanted, or rejected playable characters. And well, some rejections can be justified, like not having enough time to make him/her a playable character or not being iconic or popular.
Gonna let my friend Dwayne do the talking for me

amageish

Smash Master
No, I'm not upset that Joker/Ren got in before Beck (Mighty no 9). It's because Joker/Ren got in over Bomberman, Ryu Hayabusa, and Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins. In fact I don't want Beck to be playable. But I would love to have Beck as an assist trophy for the same reason why I want Joker/Ren to be an assist trophy.
Dude, there is no benefit to this sort of thinking for anyone involved? The logic of "This character took a spot that could have gone to this other character" only really works if they very similar moveset-wise, which your examples aren't, and even then it's not productive. It just makes you upset at a character being in a video game and ruins the fun for everyone else.

Feel free to go and support whoever you want. I don't think it's worth arguing about if Arthur or Ryu or Bomberman are worthy to be playable - they have their positives and their negatives, like all characters do. But disliking a character for not being the one you wanted and then acting as if your wants are objective holes in the roster is dumb.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well in my opinion, I think assist trophies are reserved for uniconic, undericonic, unwanted, or rejected playable characters. And well, some rejections can be justified, like not having enough time to make him/her a playable character or not being iconic or popular. While others are just potential no-good excuses.
You are aware that you effectively just insulted a bunch of the fanbases of characters that wound up becoming assist trophies, right? (by saying that the characters that they wanted in are uniconic or unwanted) At least, it comes across that way.

Just because you haven't played Persona 5, or you wanted another character to be in the game, it doesn't mean that Joker shouldn't be in the game. It makes no sense to go into a character's discussion thread, roughly half a year after they were revealed, and basically say "this character shouldn't have made it into the game! They should have put one of my favourite characters in instead!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom