• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
which is why i think DLC echoes would be packaged in as bonuses (or going forwards from jane, advertised up front before the pack's release, since P5R is a special case) for existing owners rather than sold separately
Not all DLC echo's will likely be based off DLC characters, so I am not that sure of this. Also, doing this would give more inherent value to Jokers DLC pack than the other 4, which you want to be equal.
Like, is Jane a female Joker plotwise or...?
We are not entirely sure, so it would be hard to give an answer.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Like, is Jane a female Joker plotwise or...?
We won't know until the official reveal. If she is a femc, they probably don't have to change anything unless she has a different codename. And even then, Morgana is the only one that says Joker's name I believe

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Not all DLC echo's will likely be based off DLC characters, so I am not that sure of this. Also, doing this would give more inherent value to Jokers DLC pack than the other 4, which you want to be equal.
i think they'd sell echoes of existing characters like octoling for something like $2.99, but i don't really see any future echoes of fighters pass characters (if there were any beyond jane) being sold separately - it'd be confusing as hell to market, for one.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
i think they'd sell echoes of existing characters like octoling for something like $2.99, but i don't really see any future echoes of fighters pass characters (if there were any beyond jane) being sold separately - it'd be confusing as hell to market, for one.
Yeah, but it's pretty confusing either way. I also think they might do $1.99 for echo characters, but I am not that knowledgeable about this sorta thing. All I know is that $2.99 feels a little high, considering that is just one dollar less than what we had to pay to get the veteran characters in Smash 4. Also, calculating an echo as worth as much of a single half of a DLC bundle feels off.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Even though Persona (and its parent series Megami Tensei) has installments on Nintendo platforms, Joker still strikes me as an extremely wild pick, arguably even moreso than Cloud. Part of me still finds it surreal this character ended up in the game. Maybe its due to the fact that I see Persona and Megami Tensei as separate series, and unlike Final Fantasy, all of Persona's mainline installments are on Sony systems.

Now, imagine doing what you were doing in December 2014 and you watch this teaser for the recently announced Persona 5.
After watching this teaser, someone you know tells you the boy with glasses in this video would appear in Smash Bros. What would be your reaction to being told this character would appear in Smash back then?

Funny thing is, four years after this trailer was released on December 6th, 2014, Joker would be announced for Smash Bros Ultimate.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Yeah, but it's pretty confusing either way. I also think they might do $1.99 for echo characters, but I am not that knowledgeable about this sorta thing. All I know is that $2.99 feels a little high, considering that is just one dollar less than what we had to pay to get the veteran characters in Smash 4. Also, calculating an echo as worth as much of a single half of a DLC bundle feels off.
Price I had in mind was 1/4 of the cost of a fighter's pass character ($1.49)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
which is why i think DLC echoes would be packaged in as bonuses (or going forwards from jane, advertised up front before the pack's release, since P5R is a special case) for existing owners rather than sold separately
If she is to be released after the fact, it'll have to be once the current Fighter Pass is completed, since I imagine that the staff wants to focus on finishing up the 5 uniques that have been planned before the February deadline crops up.

KatKit

Smash Lord
A friend of mine refers to Joker's red alt as Carmen Sandiego, and now it's my favorite one.

I haven't talked about Jane since the trailer dropped, but I haven't lost faith. Ideally, she'd be a free echo, complete with her own 8 palette swaps. It's feasible, too. The Smash site has an "Individual DLC" section (dedicated to non-season pass characters) on the DLC page that only lists Piranha Plant thus far. More "bonus" (promotional) fighters may populate that section throughout Ultimate's lifespan. Particularly, if they're characters that took less time to develop (i.e. echo fighters, no additional stages, songs, etc.) that aren't apart of the season pass.

Alternatively, I can imagine Nintendo adding more than 8 palette swaps/costumes for each character. Paid or otherwise, I highly doubt the number is staying at 8 for everyone. Regardless, delaying Jane's reveal in Smash makes sense; we know so little about her role in P5, and she can be used as cross-promotion for both Smash and Persona.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If she is to be released after the fact, it'll have to be once the current Fighter Pass is completed, since I imagine that the staff wants to focus on finishing up the 5 uniques that have been planned before the February deadline crops up.
Costumes or even Echos don't really have to take long, depending on how much they want to change. And there's going to be down times here and there, times to work on them now that the main game is finished. You have to remember too that we're talking about scenarios that we dont fully know, but i feel like you starve them for time and resources which isn't necessarily the case. They might already have had a whole plan in place from the get go and are just following it fine, and readjust depending on how things are looking or if there's some things they need to figure out (designing new moves for new characters might take a while and the other developpers and programmers might have to wait for some of that since there aren't as many projects going at the same time.).

Anyway, if they're following their plan then it could just all be part of it and whether or not it can happen remains a mystery for now. Have a little openness about what can happen at least so we can speculate better possibilities too, and we're so close to a real source of news you might as well wait to make conclusions like that it'd have to be after the fighters pass. That's a possibility too, but it's not the only, and I see it as definitely not the most likely, so let's just see what happens at the concert because there could be vital information, like say she uses weapons totally different than a dagger and a gun, then we'll know it's probably not a thing, but then we could also see something revealing.

Technically, they could change the gun part for something else, but i wouldn't expect that since a lot went into that, even if it's possible. Anyway, so that's how exploring the cases should work. hypothesis can be made and be tested out to see if a theory holds water. Let's watch what the games are about first and then we can see if it could be a thing or not. ;)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
...Can we just agree to disagree? There really is no point in discussing this at all until E3 (when the next characters presumably show up), until then we gotta stall for time doing other things.
I just said that there's potentially defining information coming in just a few days at the concert, and you can disagree if you want but it makes no sense since we're just trying to understand if there's anything to jane in smash. There isn't really anything to disagree with. It's either possible or it isn't, and information can always possibly help get a better sense of things.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel like it would only make sense to bring this up after next week's event, not before. If we knew what they have in mind for ponytail girl/Jane/redhead/BBQ, then we'd understand why they did what they had to do to keep things confidential.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I feel like it would only make sense to bring this up after next week's event, not before. If we knew what they have in mind for ponytail girl/Jane/redhead/BBQ, then we'd understand why they did what they had to do to keep things confidential.
Without talk there's no way to share ideas and we can't test any hypothesis if we dont have ideas. I dont know why you have trouble with people just talking about it. It's all just specualtion and we have plenty of that around here. It can be fun.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Without talk there's no way to share ideas and we can't test any hypothesis if we dont have ideas. I dont know why you have trouble with people just talking about it. It's all just specualtion and we have plenty of that around here. It can be fun.
Yeah but some people are clearly starting to get tired of speculation when things go in circle all the time.

Heck, talking about Banjo isn't that fun anymore, because someone just has to bring Steve into it, devolving into a feud. I feel more encouraged to do things other than post on here to pass the time.

It's gotten to the point that the Ultimate general is actually more interesting to talk in right now.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah but some people are clearly starting to get tired of speculation when things go in circle all the time.

Heck, talking about Banjo isn't that fun anymore, because someone just has to bring Steve into it, devolving into a feud. I feel more encouraged to do things other than post on here to pass the time.

It's gotten to the point that the Ultimate general is actually more interesting to talk in right now.
Some of us are interested in stuff like this and there's new stuff to bring up and talk about, not to mention coming in a few days. So it doesn't feel repetitive stagnant to me. If you dont care too much about the topic then you can move on from it, like how there's conversations all the time going on that dont ineterest me so i dont push against it, i let the others talk it out unless it's overly negative. (which sometimes is still worth ignoring)

I did notice that you seem to feel pretty tired of a lot of things lately, or the last while. I hope that you get to find your flow and feel good about what you do too. The general thread is light and a great place for talk that isn't specific, or random or anything smash too. This is the persona thread so there's going to be more specific things around persona sometimes.

I've got more I wanna say about jane and I'm curious what the others think, especially those that're interested. It falls on persona too in general.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Some of us are interested in stuff like this and there's new stuff to bring up and talk about, not to mention coming in a few days. So it doesn't feel repetitive stagnant to me. If you dont care too much about the topic then you can move on from it, like how there's conversations all the time going on that dont ineterest me so i dont push against it, i let the others talk it out unless it's overly negative. (which sometimes is still worth ignoring)

I did notice that you seem to feel pretty tired of a lot of things lately, or the last while. I hope that you get to find your flow and feel good about what you do too. The general thread is light and a great place for talk that isn't specific or random or anything smash too. This is the persona thread so there's going to be more specific things around persona sometimes.

I've got more I wanna say about jane and I'm curious what the others think, especially those that're interested. It falls on persona too in general.
Right, I'll be off from this thread until at least thursday then. I hope you folks will enjoy what next week's event has in store.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Right, I'll be off from this thread until at least thursday then. I hope you folks will enjoy what next week's event has in store.
I didn't mean something about quitting a thread, but if that makes it easier on you then sure you can do that too.
So long as you enjoy what you talk about.

D

Deleted member

They can easily charge us for echoes. Considering how desperate some people are for DLC alts, I don't think they mind paying for actual fighters.
Personally, I think Echoes should really be free of charge since if they are making Echoes of characters in the base game (such as Dixie Kong being an Echo of Diddy Kong for example), then I don't see a reason to pay extra.
For Joker, if Jane is an Echo fighter of him, I can see her come for free if you buy Joker or the Fighter Pass.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Personally, I think Echoes should really be free of charge since if they are making Echoes of characters in the base game (such as Dixie Kong being an Echo of Diddy Kong for example), then I don't see a reason to pay extra.
For Joker, if Jane is an Echo fighter of him, I can see her come for free if you buy Joker or the Fighter Pass.
Even if they're different enough like Chrom or Ken?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Even if they're different enough like Chrom or Ken?
They play basically the same. They can end up different competitively because of the small differences, but I wouldn't charge for echoes if they're dlc, just lump them in with the character's price. Or max 1$ :p

I think it's cool that we found out spirits and mii costumes come as well, because we didn't know if something other than the character stage and music would come. Maybe there can be more too.
As for joker, he plays really fun, and I'd enjoy an echo of the playstyle for sure. He's fast, has interesting attacks and techs, and the persona mechanic is powerful and adds variety to the character. It would've been cool to be able to switch persona, but that was always iffy so this isn't bad at all, I like having the new way the attacks work when arsene's up.

I find it's hard to catch with the hook, since it cant be angled, but i've seen some people use it well in fights, so im sure i'll get the hitbox eventually.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
when you want to believe jane is coming eventually but there's no space in the spirit list files/numbers for her two costumes next to joker's

1555788165481.png

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes.
I'm not sure why Ken is even labeled as an Echo Fighter to begin with. I guess they were afraid to label him as an entirely new character.
Ken is probably the most different of them, including in speed. Maybe less unique than Isabelle (debatedly), but if she's considered not an echo they could've done the same with ken.

when you want to believe jane is coming eventually but there's no space in the spirit list files/numbers for her two costumes next to joker's

View attachment 210611
I dont think it matters but in any case at this point we dont have enough to expect in smash. Just enough to wonder about the possibility.

Last edited:

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
For the jane stuff im pretty netraul on it in the fact if she came I wouldn't complain but wouldn't care and would always use joker anyway and if she cost money I probably wouldn't get her but if you do want her more power to ya

I guess what I'm getting at is I will probably go silent when ever you guys talk about jane possibilities because I have no dog in this fight.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just to say, when I talk about Jane, I can also mean the new persona character, and there's lots of things to find out there. And, still wondering about P5R.
I might as well share a post I made earlier in another thread, it's about the codenames found in ultimate.

I wanted to know what y'all think about it because it's also about p5.
They're interesting connections with a theme, and I wonder if there could be more to it, including that some of you might think about, because I haven't seen everything of persona 5 yet.

Here's my post:
Hey all,
so I was looking up some things around the codenames we've come to know in the datamine, and found some interesting stuff.
Bear in mind that a lot of what I'm going to present are based on connections, so take it very lightly, but it's still pretty fascinating even if there isn't anything there.

We found out that Joker's persona, Arsene, was codenamed Doyle, most likely after the author of Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle.
The author of Arsene Lupin (Maurice Leblanc) has written about sherlock holmes in his own stories, and later had to change the name because doyle pressed him legally in order to have it changed. He changed the name to Herlock Sholmes after that. There was a collection of the stories called Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes. Both characters are very famous and have been connected in quite a few ways, so that can explain why they chose Doyle for joker's persona, who was inspired by Arsene Lupin.

What's another story that has a thief and a detective? Persona 5. I had been wondering if there was more inspiration from that era onto the other characters in the game, and that's where i found some cool stuff. Now, some of it involves a dark case, and I 'll have to talk about some perona spoilers after it, so read only the rest if you're ok with that and played or watched most of persona 5 (i'll put it in spoilers tho). One big story that was often interlinked with sherlock holmes is Jack the ripper. The first Sherlock Holmes book was written not long before the first case. and while Doyle didn't write about jack, there were theories surrounding him and a friend of his that may have investigated the case. Sherlock also had tons of stories and movies involving it.

Out of the books, there's one author who was also a journalist, Stephen Knight, who wrote about a 'royal' conspiracy behind the attacks, and there were other things and even movies based from those kinds of stories, including "A Study in Terror" and "Murder by Decree" which both had Sherlock Holmes in it and followed the royal conspiracy theory. A later story by someone else was even called Sherlock Holmes and the Royal Flush. I'm not making this up, you can look it up. :p

And do you know who the last victim was that made the character even more infamous due to 'getting away with it' and never having been caught? Mary Jane Kelly. Of course, she was featured in some of those stories and movies. Now, besides Joker having a knife, there's no direct connection with jack the ripper, but his codename was still jack, and then we find about a Jane, and now a Doyle connected with Arsene. And the thing is, Doyle is supposed to be with the detective side, not with jack, so just like the name change for sherlock in the Arsene works, something's been reversed here too. (Or we could also put the funny idea that instead of it being Leblanc that stole the fictional name, it's Arsene who stole the author's name.)

Now I need to get into persona 5 spoilers to add a bit more
If youve watched or played the game, you know that there's another 'reversal' that happens, where someone who's supposed to be a good person is actually not, and the thieves are actually 'good'. Some of the themes are flipped, which is something cool that can happen in works that use stories that already exist for inspiration. Jack is still pursued by the detective, but it's different, and we dont know much about jane, but she could be another flip of the role being victim to jack somehow, or even one of the detective.

So, you can take it as you will, I'm just sharing it because I think it's interesting and maybe possible those were actually themes that were either inspired in the background for some characters, or flat-out involved in the new p5r game, for one because of the codenames but also because it's called The Royal.
I'm really just putting the ideas there, there might be more to it, or it might just be very loose connections, or not much at all. In any case I hope it's at least enjoyable to think about.
What do you think? :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's a very interesting observation and makes me think even more that Jane wouldn't be thrown to the wayside.

In other news, I love all the Persona x Smash stuff being made.

snip

Edit: Guess what I made?
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-mystery-girl-of-persona-5-the-royal-jane.482785/

We talk about her so much, and with the chance of her being an echo and all, I felt it was only natural.
The last one with the Miis is making me wheeze holy crud.

On the topic of Jane...I honestly don't know at this point. I want to believe she's coming as a free Echo and we'll hear about it this upcoming weekend at PSL, but a part of me wonders if we'll even see Echoes in the DLC. TBH though, the biggest reason I want to see Jane come as an Echo is because then it would confirm Echo DLC is a thing, which benefits my most wanted.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yes.
I'm not sure why Ken is even labeled as an Echo Fighter to begin with. I guess they were afraid to label him as an entirely new character.
He still has a bunch of recycled Ryu animations, his model is an edit of Ryu's, and while he walks/runs faster he doesn't have different weight, air speed, etc.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

On the topic of Jane...I honestly don't know at this point. I want to believe she's coming as a free Echo and we'll hear about it this upcoming weekend at PSL, but a part of me wonders if we'll even see Echoes in the DLC. TBH though, the biggest reason I want to see Jane come as an Echo is because then it would confirm Echo DLC is a thing, which benefits my most wanted.
Yeah, the Mii one is pretty hilarious. I imagine you really liked the first pic, considering your icon and all.

I can understand that. I think DLC echos are a distinct possibility and it would be likely for her to be revealed as one when more P5R info is revealed, though I don't think they would do that as soon as next week. I really hope she is eventually a character, as it would be a nice conclusion to this datamine mystery we have had since February.

I will say, could some of you guys look over the first post of the Jane thread I made? It's only the second newcomer support thread I have made(The first was Peachette, which I made as a test run, not expecting Bowsette to become a thing days later), and I a bit nervous of possible mistakes in the post, be it grammar or history wise.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman

With what was found on the website regarding the dlc section, I think echo dlc could be likely

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
What's this discussion about Jane still being a possibility as a Joker echo? Did I miss any datamining or something?

On a off-related note: Am I the only one who is mildly miffed that they bothered adding P4 and P3 music? Bad enough certain tracks I wanted like Life will Change and Blooming Villain didn't make it, but the ****ing towards P3 and especially irritates me a bit just as much as if not more than the P4/P3 Mii costumes. Not only because I think P4 is freaking overrated, but also further adds to the stigma of Atlus never letting P4 go that they have to continue milking it in P5's spotlight (and dear god I swear if they put in Yu Narukami as an echo...)

Then there's the issue of P1, P2 and even the P3 FeMC being ignored again, save for the mention of the remixed Velvet Room theme (which is freaking amazin1). It makes me wonder why the heck Atlus seems ashamed to bring up P1 and P2, on top of not being having anything related to the P3 FeMC.

osby

Smash Obsessed
What's this discussion about Jane still being a possibility as a Joker echo? Did I miss any datamining or something?

On a off-related note: Am I the only one who is mildly miffed that they bothered adding P4 and P3 music? Bad enough certain tracks I wanted like Life will Change and Blooming Villain didn't make it, but the ****ing towards P3 and especially irritates me a bit just as much as if not more than the P4/P3 Mii costumes. Not only because I think P4 is freaking overrated, but also further adds to the stigma of Atlus never letting P4 go that they have to continue milking it in P5's spotlight (and dear god I swear if they put in Yu Narukami as an echo...)

Then there's the issue of P1, P2 and even the P3 FeMC being ignored again, save for the mention of the remixed Velvet Room theme (which is freaking amazin1). It makes me wonder why the heck Atlus seems ashamed to bring up P1 and P2, on top of not being having anything related to the P3 FeMC.
P3, P4 and P5 are their most popular mainline games and presented as a trio most of the time.

I can't do anything about your P4 hate except saying you are being ridiculous. P4 got nothing significant more than P3, they are just throwing their fans a bone while adding some variety.

P1 and P2 simply aren't that popular or well-known, their creative team mostly left P-Team and they don't match the series' current direction.

Also a shame. I thought getting Joker erased your irrational fears and you became a more approachable user, I guess I was wrong. You immediatly returned to being spiteful and thoughtless as before.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I think you know by this point what answer this entire thread will give you, so just don't. Please.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Okay maybe I worded all of that wrong so sorry about that.

Going back to Jane: Was there anything new about her that was datamined in the 3.0 update? I hear stuff like she felt near completion or something.

Top Bottom