• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This just makes the mystery even deeper. Any word on how Morgana and the rest of the Phantom Thieves were handled programming wise?

Neat. From what I hear this is shaking up Brave speculation a bit, considering how much depth these names have.
While I joked about it before, now I honestly wonder if Brave really actually is a nod to a certain mecha franchise. It's unexpected to have secret codenames that also act as references to stuff whose relation to the characters in question seem less obvious at first glance.

Although it could still not really mean anything, but you know.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
While I joked about it before, now I honestly wonder if Brave really actually is a nod to a certain mecha franchise. It's unexpected to have secret codenames that also act as references to stuff whose relation to the characters in question seem less obvious at first glance.
it would be SO funny to me if Brave was Agumon. My friend and I have it as a running joke thanks to a certain user here and we realized the word Brave actually applies to a lot of Digimon-related things, and with the knowledge of company-themed Mii costumes releasing with each character, well....Bamco on watch.

It's so fascinating!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As for depth of name, that's just speculation from people who want to find excuses to think that brave would be someone else. If the team had been looking into the lore behind arsene, it was maybe an easy codename for them.
Doesn't that seem a bit closed minded? When people got there hands on Smash early and saw Jack in the data, a lot of insiders were thinking of character like Raiden from MGS due to the whole Jack the Ripper thing. It appears that the code names are not so simple in the connection to the character, especially now that we have Arsène to compare.

Although it could still not really mean anything, but you know.
And what franchise would that be?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Doesn't that seem a bit closed minded? When people got there hands on Smash early and saw Jack in the data, a lot of insiders were thinking of character like Raiden from MGS due to the whole Jack the Ripper thing. It appears that the code names are not so simple in the connection to the character, especially now that we have Arsène to compare.

The Brave/Yuusha Series, the one where the "Is this a pigeon?" guy comes from.

Not saying we'll get a super robot, but we'll see what happens.

it would be SO funny to me if Brave was Agumon. My friend and I have it as a running joke thanks to a certain user here and we realized the word Brave actually applies to a lot of Digimon-related things, and with the knowledge of company-themed Mii costumes releasing with each character, well....Bamco on watch.

It's so fascinating!
Would be nice if it is Agumon, people would be baffled that a certain user was right all along.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Yes it's close-minded because we only have 2 codenames to go by and some people want to think they know that the same thought went into both.
If you were saying that my take was, then I should say that I'm open to anything. I just try to find what makes most sense too. Considering how the team isn't great with code and hiding things, I dont see a reason to narrow to a thought like they're smart about codenames in general. I think it's likely they just happened to have that in the back of their minds because of research.

It's great to brainstorm all sorts of ideas tho. It's still all just ideas.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
On the topic of this Brave stuff, I'd like to suggest something: what if "Brave" and "Yuusha" were used in a reverse psychological manner. Meaning the former would turn out to be "Fear", and the latter would turn out to be "Maou" (Demon King), which the 'Yuusha' is often destined to battle. Stupid, I know, but just wanted to present the possibility, however small it is.

Graizen

Smash Champion

It's so fascinating!
Jokes are good i think

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Jokes are good i think
Oh don't worry, it's not meant to be malicious! Your enthusiasm is just nice to us so we always kid around about how every new rumor or datamine info is related to Agumon, and it turns out Brave has an actual shot.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh don't worry, it's not meant to be malicious! Your enthusiasm is just nice to us so we always kid around about how every new rumor or datamine info is related to Agumon, and it turns out Brave has an actual shot.
Yeah, it's just that some of the general's posters have been unkind to anyone that thinks a character that hasn't been mentioned by leakers would stand a chance.

Seriously, it's thoroughly messed up for anyone to think a Bamco character has less of a chance than Goku...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's just that some of the general's posters have been unkind to anyone that thinks a character that hasn't been mentioned by leakers would stand a chance.

Seriously, it's thoroughly messed up for anyone to think a Bamco character has less of a chance than Goku...
I mean, as a dyed-in-the-wool Joker supporter, I know first-hand how vicious people can be about...shall we say unusual picks. lol

Graizen

Smash Champion
The Brave/Yuusha Series, the one where the "Is this a pigeon?" guy comes from.

Not saying we'll get a super robot, but we'll see what happens.

Would be nice if it is Agumon, people would be baffled that a certain user was right all along.
As people say to me all the time "Agumon is a 0% case" "Banjo is Brave" "Erdrick is Brave becouse of Yuusha" etc.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
This just makes the mystery even deeper. Any word on how Morgana and the rest of the Phantom Thieves were handled programming wise?
i'll refer to vaanrose on this one because he knows much more than me about how files actually work

vaanrose out here weighing in on things so i don't have to

There was a problem fetching the tweet
tl;dr jane isn't morgana and is very unlikely to be ann

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
i'll refer to vaanrose on this one because he knows much more than me about how files actually work

Thank you.

I think getting more and more clear that Jane was planned as an alt, but was replaced with the school uniform for some unknown reason. I think we will get a clear picture of things once more of P5R is shown off and/or we see Jane's capabilities as a fighter in the game. Now that we know how Joker functions in Smash, we also know what Jane would need to fill his shoes as an alt.
  • A knife
  • A pistol
  • A Persona with wings
  • Eiha/Eigaon(Though I think there is more wiggle room with this)
If she has all or most of these, then that's where things get even more interesting.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Okay, so far the "obvious" picks for Brave are Erdrick, Banjo, Yuri, Sora and Agumon, barring someone that hasn't been overlooked/taken into consideration by anyone. Have I missed anything?
I think it would be more appropriate to say a Tales rep instead of specifically Yuri. Sakurai's commented on considering Lloyd the definitive Tales hero and Lloyd has also generally been the more popular pick in the Smash community as well. Now, Yuri is the overall more popular character from what I understand, so he's still got a shot, but I think it's easily between those two.

I also just wouldn't really put Agumon anywhere near an obvious pick collection. I know relatively nothing about Digimon, but I do know it started with virtual pets and that's a bit too removed from video games to align with the whole "Characters that originated in video games" Sakurai comment. I just don't really see virtual pets as the same thing even though they have game like mechanics from time to time. Sure, there have been instances of similar games coming to market but I also struggle to call many of those "video games" as well, but I'm also probably playing too loosely with definitions right now. I don't think he's all that seriously considered by the community either. I don't really have anything against him, but I'm also incredibly doubtful of his chances.

I might also add Ryu Hayubusa just because Koei Tecmo does a LOT of work with Nintendo and they don't have a rep yet despite also being one of the more prominent and original Japanese gaming companies. Ninja Gaiden in particular has very well known and specific Nintendo history.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Again, despite all the logical arguments, it's likely that everyone of us could be wrong as to who Brave is. It may be someone we'll never see coming.

Oh, and something unspeakable apparently happened at the general again. Somehow I'm not surprised...

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Thanks for sharing that. And this was shared in the SE thread. The characters on mementos are called after their actual PT names.
(They're also branched with the stage, not with joker, which would be obvious but at least here you get some dataminers)

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Thank you.

I think getting more and more clear that Jane was planned as an alt, but was replaced with the school uniform for some unknown reason. I think we will get a clear picture of things once more of P5R is shown off and/or we see Jane's capabilities as a fighter in the game. Now that we know how Joker functions in Smash, we also know what Jane would need to fill his shoes as an alt.
  • A knife
  • A pistol
  • A Persona with wings
  • Eiha/Eigaon(Though I think there is more wiggle room with this)
If she has all or most of these, then that's where things get even more interesting.
My idea for the Eiha/Eigaon thing is to just go the opposite route and have Jane instead use Kouha/Kougaon. Then again, the closest to a light element damage type in Smash is Aura damage, Electric damage, or Magic damage.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
My idea for the Eiha/Eigaon thing is to just go the opposite route and have Jane instead use Kouha/Kougaon. Then again, the closest to a light element damage type in Smash is Aura damage, Electric damage, or Magic damage.
We are discussing alts here, so having that happen can be a bit hard to see. Who knows though, maybe she will be brought back when they start selling echo characters?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We are discussing alts here, so having that happen can be a bit hard to see. Who knows though, maybe she will be brought back when they start selling echo characters?
At this point if jane is anything it could be costume alts or echo. Echo would make sense depending on how the character is in her game. And I think it'd be cool if she had at least a different side-b. It's all on the table to speculate about, but people should just not get attached too much to any idea because we have no idea if it'd happen or not.
There's nothing wrong with dreaming tho :)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1119395265822117888

And some more info on the Jane stuff found, pretty weird if there was a model that was near finished and not used.
It was almost finished? If that's the case, why would it not be here? I imagine Atlus wouldn't pull it, as they likely showed Nintendo the existence of Jane in the first place. P5R was likely not something that was required to show for Joker to get proper representation, but they did it anyway and got Sakurai to start making Jane an alt for Joker. I see no reason why Nintendo itself would pull it for any reason, and Sakurai likely wouldn't have had his team work on it in the first place if Jane wouldn't have fit, as he seems to make choices like that before any digital work is done. The only thing that makes sense to me is that they are putting her off for now and are planning to use her for something later, possibly costume or echo DLC.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
It was almost finished? If that's the case, why would it not be here? I imagine Atlus wouldn't pull it, as they likely showed Nintendo the existence of Jane in the first place. P5R was likely not something that was required to show for Joker to get proper representation, but they did it anyway and got Sakurai to start making Jane an alt for Joker. I see no reason why Nintendo itself would pull it for any reason, and Sakurai likely wouldn't have had his team work on it in the first place if Jane wouldn't have fit, as he seems to make choices like that before any digital work is done. The only thing that makes sense to me is that they are putting her off for now and are planning to use her for something later, possibly costume or echo DLC.
Yeah, I'm more inclined to believe she was put off as well since I'd imagine Atlus has plans regarding the mystery girl.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm more inclined to believe she was put off as well since I'd imagine Atlus has plans regarding the mystery girl.
It would be a bit awkward to show her off in Smash before we learned anything more about her in the context of P5R info, but the fact that it was occupying where the school uniforms currently are makes this much more complex. I guess it's a question of what came first to Smash and why, Jane or the uniform?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
It would be a bit awkward to show her off in Smash before we learned anything more about her in the context of P5R info, but the fact that it was occupying where the school uniforms currently are makes this much more complex. I guess it's a question of what came first to Smash and why, Jane or the uniform?
i'm skeptical she was ever intended as a direct alt at all. if you look back through smash at characters like dr. mario in melee and lucina in 4, a lot of characters start life in development as skins - it's easier to model a clone/echo by first putting them over the original fighter then splitting them close to the end of that character's development/implementation in the new game

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
i'm skeptical she was ever intended as a direct alt at all. if you look back through smash at characters like dr. mario in melee and lucina in 4, a lot of characters start life in development as skins - it's easier to model a clone/echo by first putting them over the original fighter then splitting them close to the end of that character's development/implementation in the new game
That would make a lot of sense. I imagine she filled the spot's of the uniforms during early testing then. If she is an echo though, I wonder when and how she will be released, especially since they started work on her so soon.

StormC

Smash Hero
I really can't imagine us getting DLC echoes. Certainly not for free anyway. If they're gonna charge for Mii costumes, a free echo would be awfully generous.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I really can't imagine us getting DLC echoes. Certainly not for free anyway. If they're gonna charge for Mii costumes, a free echo would be awfully generous.
They can easily charge us for echoes. Considering how desperate some people are for DLC alts, I don't think they mind paying for actual fighters.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
They can easily charge us for echoes. Considering how desperate some people are for DLC alts, I don't think they mind paying for actual fighters.
It will be interesting to see what value Nintendo places them at though, especially in the case of Jane. If Jane is sold separately from Joker(Which they almost have to do, as making her free to anyone who has Joker would result in an expectation that future DLC echo characters would be free), you could feasibly get a version of Joker without having to pay for any of the other Persona stuff.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
you could feasibly get a version of Joker without having to pay for any of the other Persona stuff.
which is why i think DLC echoes would be packaged in as bonuses (or going forwards from jane, advertised up front before the pack's release, since P5R is a special case) for existing owners rather than sold separately

Top Bottom