• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Hey! Watch out!" Link Video & Critique Thread

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Got some more vids of Deva and ALSM up, and put up all of Red Ryu's vids. What kind of matches were they, btw?

Medicinal Chemistry is currently kicking my butt, just if you'd like to know. Also, I have DI homework for my hospital lab. I lol'd when I first got the assignment before I realized that in the medical world DI means Drug Information (basically tech support, but for drugs instead of computers).
Mine were practice at a smashfest, I had other matches but that was when the video recording wasn't working, because I was an idiot that didn't put yellow to yellow and white to white.

Rizen

Smash Legend

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Ahh! I'm sorry Arizen, I completely forgot about your vids. I'm currently studying for a Pharmacology test right now (well, procrastinating from it for a few minutes) but I'll get them up later today for you. Sorry about that, I completely didn't realize I hadn't uploaded them.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I agree, Smasher is a lot of fun to watch.

Sorry I lied again guys. I got busy again with Pharmacology and Med Chem. I'll try to get this done and try to clean it up a bit tonight, although it might not be until this weekend. I'll get to it as soon as I can.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Only problem with japanese players is that they have trouble adapting to new things.

Like they know how to space and keep safe, probably why that Link made me think of Kirinblaze, but they have trouble adapting to new or different situations.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I thought it was funny how Snake taunted early and then lost in the first match. lol

I like how aggressive you are, constantly chasing snake. Though for some reason you always have a terrible start and racking up like 60%ish damage each time.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Jajjaja... Jeos is my little trainee; it's too good you join us in the forum.

How I said you in msn; you best fight was the last one, and, how Arizen said, you must not enter in Snake range without make him lost his balance (with spacing or out-spam).

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
@Ryos4: for the taunt, yeah he didn't count on my DI, now about getting a bad start, well I need to get on my mind from the very beggining and not after receiving some damage.

about how to improve, i'm thinking about moving more into the spacing and mindgames field, that means, i'm moving to the adaptative link, mostly because the agressive doesn't work enough and i really have a lack of mindgames, let me know what do you think about this please.

IYM! are you on SBC? if so then you could tell me who you are :p
if not then you can join us.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Why have 2 threads where 1 will do? Good idea.

I have a few new wifi vids. After playing FFXIII (Great game by the way) my spacing got terrible. Wifis always look worse when I watch the replay. 'Still need to up load them.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I moved your most recent post Huggles, so now you have the third post.

Now that I look at this thread more closely it actually looks really nice. So good work Huggles sorry I doubted before!

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
All right, tried to make the thread look a little nicer. Dug through all the lines of code to get the underlining under everyone's name work right, haha. Got the Critique section up and running. Tell me if you guys think it still needs work.

EDIT: All of the videos are updated now. Even put up all 50 bazillion of Izaw's vids. I'm still not sure how he gets so many views (the 2 day old ones already have like 1,000 views) when guys like Legan and Kirin only get like 200, haha.

Rizen

Smash Legend

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Hmmm.... that Marth video is really hard to critique, haha. It's pretty clear 95% of what happened is thanks to lag. Like that arrow at the beginning, or you charging an fsmash into his counter, or several of the dairs that landed and he just took, recovery fails (for both of you), etc.

When playing Marth, I find spacing more difficult than many other matches. Marth has range on his attacks in addition to speed. Normally Marth is very defensive, waiting for people to get in his zone and punishes with well-placed spacing; in this matchup Link outranges Marth but only marginally. We can force the approach but have a hard time dealing with it because our spacing has to be spot on or Marth's speed will win out over what little range advantage we have. I try to bait sloppy approaches; spam proectiles, seem as if you've kinda gotten bored and dash towards Marth as if you're going aggressive, and try to bait a fair. Do a retreating zair or fair. Try to pull back or forward with him keeping right in the sweetspot of where we outrange him with zair but don't let him catch his breath. I don't know if there's a surefire "do this" against Marth that will work; I think the key is predicting his moves and punishing accordingly. Plan ahead and try to leave multiple possibilities open and don't hesitate to switch it up and change tempo. I don't think we can win in a flat out fight by a long shot; perfect spacing and mindgames are gonna be big in this matchup is my guess.

/ultra-generic matchup info

Dunno how much this helps, but hey, I tried, haha.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Yeah that match is pretty terrible. Marth kept getting owned by obvious Dairs, and edge hogged. He made terrible choices and overall was really bad. Though i dont think you had a serious problem spacing this Marth. Dancing Blade hit you alot just because its a really good punisher. You will be hit by it regardless for the most part. Only thing you can do is SDI up and out of it and hope for the best.

Against Marth. Its pretty hard to say what is the best thing to do. It really depends on how they play. Dancing blade spammers should never be spot dodged unless you see a grab coming.

If he likes to spam Fair. Just predict the path hes going to go and either step back and set up a counter with projectiles or Zair. Or roll past his approach and avoid it completely. The average Marth with thoughtlessly fair approach so its pretty easy to get around.

Fsmash spammy Marths are all about just shielding grabbing and stuff. You can spot dodge to attack, but only real safe thing is jabs, maybe Utilt.

You also want to try saving ur Fsmash. I was watching ur other matches and you tend to use it a lot, so that it doesn't kill for a while. Like the match vs Lucas, his first stocked lived a 140% fsmash and he really should have been dead. But you hit him with like 4 or 5 Fsmashes before hand. Anyway Marth can kill Link pretty easily with a tipper or just off stage Fair to gimp. So Link is going to have to kill him early as possible.

Anyway as hugs said, this is a very hard match to critique.

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ Huggles and Ryos:
Thanks for the advice. Wifis are bad for critiques, we played several other others where I lost that exceeded 3 minutes.
Small stages, especially YI (brawl), make it hard to space without getting edge pinned so I tried to keep away from ledges. My wifi DI is worse and an aggressive Marth's hard to space anyway. I never play Marths so he's almost as hard as MK for me.
Rolling past Fairs is good advice. I tried to airdodge that intercepting Fair but the lag made it too late. Marth approaches fast and has a major advantage up close. TBH, he was a good Marth but the only replay I could save was c****y. Wifail's obviously a large factor but at least that lets Dairs connect.

-------------------------
I HATE Ike on wifi, offline he's manageable. Does anyone feel this way about certain MUs?

-----------------------

My strategy is use a good attack for the situation and not save kill moves because Link has so many. Fsmash has great range and auto turns (using 'C' for smash) for attacking after small retreats. Dsmash is fast. I can Zair/Bair/Nair/jab/spam them fresh or kill with Spin attack/Utilt/Ftilt/USmash/Fair/Dair/Uair depending on what is fresh. Plus Fsmash2 is always fresh as a spotdodge punisher, so I'm willing to deal damage with kill moves.
--------
Edit: The Lucas match I was rusty and spamming stupidly. ^This strategy is better shown in the Lucario one.

I can't get a decent Marth match up:urg:.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
mmm... hard to critique wifi matches, sorry but i don't have anything else to offer 'cause that's all been said.
just try to not waste so much your Fsmash and cut the usage of the Dsmash because it can do more harm than good if the opponent catch the habit.

i'm posting some MM so you can critique me again, they're all offline:

i'm losing the first round so i hope you see the first 2 to get the best feedback
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAqWUmUJSTg 1/2 (round 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEgISROFtc0 2/2 (round 1)

recoverin my money, yesh!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP5pgzPfnkQ 1/2 (round 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gEiOsyZp8k 2/2 (round 2)

thanks beforehand and enjoy ^^

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Okay, I watched the first set. Some of the things I notices, Jeos:

First off, your Link is good. The number one thing I would work on is spacing. You approached with nair several times, which is dangerous if you miss. I would use fair more to approach, and then after the first swing, if it misses, pull back. After a zair up close, you did dsmash a lot. Dsmash lags if it misses so be careful of that; also, try doing other things after a zair to keep your opponent guessing; try jabbing, try doing another zair but retreating. Also be careful with ftilt; it is too slow to use a lot. Only use it occasionally to surprise your opponent. And try to use more bombs; bombs are very good!

I hope this helps.

Su Link es muy bueno, pero es un poco agresivo. Necesitas jugar defensivo tambien. (Tuve una clase de espanol en la universidad; hablo espanol un poquito, jaja)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Lies!!! Ftilt is awesome. lol. I use it tons with lots of good outcomes. Especially if you abuse the huge amount of slide you can get out of it. Like Zair to sliding Ftilt is soo much safer and can kill earlier then a Zair to DAC.

I find Usmash so much more unsafe and punishable then Ftilt could ever be.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
First Match...
You must use any other movement in the final part that Utilt! I don't know, Spin Attack, Dsmash, Usmash, Dtilt, Grab... any other move would kill Dragon's Captain Falcon.

Second Match...
You could punish too much mistake of Dragon's Falcon. Although, good DI.

Third Match...
Good Fair spacing in the first stock. Good Punishment of Dragon's Mistake. Never use Clawshot when your opponent is near of the edge! Good finish xd

Fourth Match...
Good DI, 'nuff said.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
The only thing i can really say that you might want to work on in your matches is the use of your aerial jump. You use it really early and it can and probably will cause you trouble when you try to recover. Using the second jump too early will often lead to your death if your not careful.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I like the way Izaw uses bombs in his latest vids. I've been thinking that bombs should be used more defensively and it was good to see Izaw using them to defensively to great effect.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the feedback everyone, i'm posting some videos again (sorry for the spam but these are the last ones until the next month, college you know)

these matches are friendlies and were played BEFORE the money matches I posted before, anyway I always suck against this guy, I believe he is an amazing lucas, he has killed me with every single move lucas has (except for Dtilt... and yes he has killed me with jabs :|).

since I lost on every match, I hope to get the best feedback than any of the previous vids, thanks beforehand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1LITSSnt8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iYpyFWSnBg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2E9rpjc6vg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jj2X1_QnHQ

Just_Jo

Smash Rookie
Link vs Metaknight/King Dedede

Here’s a set from a recent tournament I was thinking maybe someone can critique.

Link vs Metaknight/King Dedede:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu0OCAfoeps

Besides the gimp at the beginning of the MK match I think I managed to pressure him pretty well, that’s why he switched.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Nice Hawaii Link. lol. Almost makes me wanna go to the HM's but i dont think i can sit around for that long. lol.

As far as I can tell with the MK match, you had a bit of trouble spacing things correctly. Link has a fairly long sword to work with and you ended up being face to face with MK a few times after an approach. Idk thats all i can really see aside from what Bobby was pointing out during the matches.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
well, I can't say too much about it, on metaknight you lacked some spacing, and you roll too much, you almost cross the stage with rolls! you have to change that cause Link's roll is one of the worsts, so run more, jump more and try better spacing.

good Link anyway

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Other things I would recommend would be to work on your DI and momentum canceling (especially vertically; if you get hit hard going up use dair; Link actually gets the biggest benefit of anyone from vertical momentum cancelling). I would also say to practice that recovery; some of your recoveries were kinda dicey. You need to mix it up because Link has no room for error when recovering. Mixing it up in general is also really important, not just when recovering. Link can't afford to get predictable. You also tend to stay still; try to keep moving if you can and stay on the move; Link needs to be doing something.

Hope this helps. Keep working on that Link. He looks pretty good.

Top Bottom