• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey guys.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Ganon can combo? Ganon for top tie- oh wait...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's probably because anyone he's grabbing with his ears is generally falling on him. His grab box is positioned weird because of his posture (Weirdest grab posture ever?), so it apparently lets him grab things that are positioned too weirdly for other characters to grab.

That's my theory, anyways. It's a really weird posture on both forcepalm grab, and regular grab. I think it seems to also be positioned pretty high for a grab. .
Pretty sound theory.

Also Lucario vs IC is 60:40 Lucario IMO.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I meant in the capacity that combos aren't nearly as useful because of low hitstun. You don't get a huge reward from the required effort and risk when say compared to Melee. But it's Brawl, so oh well...

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
How does that even matter?
Lucario's grab sucks outright. Everyone needs to accept this and stop making **** up about it to make it seem like it doesn't.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It gives you good reward though for something "that sucks", even has okay cooldown (not exactly "unpunishable", but it isn't like falco dashgrab).
Even pivot grab has a decent range, and having a bad grab range doesn't always mean you have a bad grab game. Look at Pika and ICs (extreme concept, but you get my point, they have less grab range than Lucario).
Good point though Stauffy, Lucario's grab shouldn't be wholly relied on when punishing unless it's a character that overextends themself a lot or has a close range zoning game, otherwise it's more of a punish.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I won't get into pivot grab because I'm not as familiar with that, although I'd be pretty surprised if it turned out to have good range in comparison to the rest of the cast.
I said his grab sucks and it's a fact that it sucks. Talk all you want about his grab game in general, I just get annoyed that people say nonsense like "Oh, but it has great vertical range!" to try to make it seem otherwise.
I'm fairly certain Pikachu has more grab range by the way.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
I don't think anyone said that his grab range was good in the least lol. We just noticed that it seems we have a weird vertical grab range, cause judging by that vid, it doesn't make sense that I can grab snake when he's above my head.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'll find the thread, but Pika's indeed has less grab range than ours.

Oh, and even if it were "grabbing with his ears", vertical grab range isn't always something exactly as useful as horizontal, especially considering that everyone you'd grab from that high also is pretty safe on block.

Edit: wait, nope nevermind, it was updated, and it's only his dash grab that's really bad.

Although I was correct that we have some of the faster grabs in the game.

Here's the link: http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Grab

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Pivot grab isn't MK speed, but it's faster than most of the others.
Plus he doesn't have really terribad cooldown on them. Granted it shares the same weakness of most grabs when you miss, but it still is a bit faster on down time than others.
I'm not saying his grab's a godsend, but for the reward you get esp. in some MUs, there's a reason why it's not nonexistent.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
19 don't if I counted correctly, 16 minus the really sucky tether ones.

Being average isn't bad.

This also doesn't take cooldown into consideration, of which most dashgrabs are really bad in.

Lucario still gotta grab.

iRJi

Smash Champion
19 don't if I counted correctly, 16 minus the really sucky tether ones.

Being average isn't bad.

This also doesn't take cooldown into consideration, of which most dashgrabs are really bad in.

Lucario still gotta grab.
Lucario's grabs overall are decently good. Need to take advantage of them. I think people need to stop looking at the flaws and look at the positives. There might be 16 who match ore do better in speed, but then just think about the rest of the cast which he does better in. He has a good solid grab over all.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It is fast, MK's dash grab is 40 frames of endlag iirc.
I'm saying that you're implying to me that because his grab is bad, it shouldn't be used.
I'm not saying it's good, but saying that the grab range of my first comment is irrelevant is a bit odd, considering I wasn't exactly saying it's the best, like I said, even if we did have the ability to "grab with our ears" hitbox wise, how useful is that? I'd say little to none.

iRJi

Smash Champion
It is fast, MK's dash grab is 40 frames of endlag iirc.
I'm saying that you're implying to me that because his grab is bad, it shouldn't be used.
Which in what case, isn't true.

Also, I am not ignoring the flaws of it, but what I think you are doing is ignoring any benefits from it. Its a good solid grab. Not going to change that statement.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Calling it a good grab is as laughable as calling ZSS's grab a good grab.

I'd really like to hear what positive aspects of it even come close to outweighing that atrocious range. Please, tell me.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Snake MU

10snakes

And no Stauffy, ZSS is on a whole other level of suckitude with grabbing.

Edit: This is getting a little off-topic, let's talk about moves that I think this gave light to, imo dsmash and dtilt in particular really surprised me.
This would explain how often I'd hit on the fringes with the bursts of dsmash and still get it.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Sorry for not getting a better video out, USPS-delivering-my-actual-capture-card-so-I-don't-have-to-use-DVD-recorder johns...

iRJi

Smash Champion
Snake MU

10snakes
^^ This.

Also, A frame 4 Throw that stays within the limit of the "10 frame reaction time"
A down-throw that sets up people in the air pretty high for potential baiting.
A Uthrow that goes up to a good damage output while you are at decent percents, and if the person is at a low percent also can lead to potential baiting.
A back-throw that does a good solid 10 damage and is not varied on Aura, the same goes for Dthrow.

Having all of this, while still having good solid frame data on each of the 3 sections of grabs (6, 8, 9) and having average cool down on each of them, is what makes it a solid grab. If its the grab range that makes it bad for you, play someone who has more. I dont like to **** on my character, and while doing that I admit his flaws. The way you go about Lucario overall that I have noticed is that there is always something wrong. If their is, why do you play him? I am sure their are other characters who are better, obviously. Metaknight, Diddy, Falco? Instead of complaining about something, work with it. It can only help you if it's apply-able to any type of playing.

Explained it enough?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's okay, I'm aware that Lucario's grab range is terribad.

But it's definitely not "unusable". It's definitely manageable with what sorts of stuff happens in this game, especially v. characters with large extending hurtboxes when they attack.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Also, I don't want to come off mean if it feels like it. It is not my intention for I am a good loving person all around, and I am the last person who will troll anyone (As people may notice I am an Anti-troll). I just really believe that his grab is solid.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Whoops, I was inaccurate, MK's dash grab is about the same in cooldown as ours.
A better example of decent characters with some bad cooldown that use grabs are sheik, wario, fox, and ROB's dash grab.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Throws throws throws throws
Did I say anything about Lucario's grab game? In fact, I think I specifically said I wasn't talking about Lucario's grab game in general.

Having all of this, while still having good solid frame data on each of the 3 sections of grabs (6, 8, 9) and having average cool down on each of them, is what makes it a solid grab.
No, it doesn't. I feel sorry for you if you think average grab speed and somewhat above average cooldown (by a frame or 2, doesn't exactly make it much harder to punish) makes up for having such poor range.

If its the grab range that makes it bad for you, play someone who has more.
That's a real good way to make a case that it's a good grab.

I dont like to **** on my character, and while doing that I admit his flaws. The way you go about Lucario overall that I have noticed is that there is always something wrong. If their is, why do you play him? I am sure their are other characters who are better, obviously. Metaknight, Diddy, Falco? Instead of complaining about something, work with it. It can only help you if it's apply-able to any type of playing.
I play the realist because people like you spread misinformation and act like his flaws aren't there. It's very misleading to people who don't know better, of which I'm sure there are quite a lot of on SWF.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
People don't put in flaws because if we were to, this game would consist of more MK mains. Our job is to look at what works.
Lucario's grab works and manages, even if it's trashy in range.

Comparing Lucario to ZSS is definitely NOT realistic. ZSS grabs can be counted on one hand for a set.

Lucario's grab won't be used as punishment for most things unfortunately in terms of characters with strong zoning patterns (like Marth).

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
If you want to ignore flaws, good for you. Have fun losing to everyone good who DOESN'T ignore them and exploits them.

Looking at what works is no more important than looking at what doesn't work. Sorry if I have to be the bad guy and point this out, but that's life.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Naw, I'm sure that people don't ignore flaws when they're common knowledge. Although it's all a matter of perspective.

If Lucario grabs still work and serve to the base, and if proven they still do that, I'm sure we don't have to go into how bad they are, if anything, a more productive plan is to tell how they shouldn't be used because of those attributes. For example, if a Marth were to go fair zoning properly, that would be where Lucario grab range could be problematic for ooS, that's where we (if we didn't know already) proclaim that Lucario's abysmal grab range "is not useful in said scenario", or for more generic cases as well.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Stauffy's gotta remember though, a grab is still a grab.

In all honesty, what I think this really shows us is just how freaking good it is to have a grab that leans inwards. In reality, the grab box for Force Palm is MUCH smaller than the standing/dash/pivot grab boxes. (2.5 and 3 compared to two 4-sized boxes), but because Lucario leans inwards so much, his grab range gets extended by a ****load, just like DDD or Marth.

BTW, I updated it so he turns blue on the invincibility frames on double team. I'll put a download soon.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I really wish people could just take what I say at face value and not look for hidden meanings I never said anything about. It's not that ****ing hard.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh yeah, so why is it that despite Lucario usmash having that behavior of clanking with everything on that certain frame, it isn't noted in the PSA?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, so why is it that despite Lucario usmash having that behavior of clanking with everything on that certain frame, it isn't noted in the PSA?
It's probably noted in PSA, but it's probably either in the flags, or is a part of the game mechanics with bone/hitbubble interaction. I'll try to figure that out soon. I have a few theories, but I can't prove any of them yet.

Btw, on the status of wtf at the moment, here's something you may not know. I think Usmash... has wind. o.o

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
If only it were like M2's where it could suck up people into it, although I'm glad it's more of a one hit deal, especially in Brawl.

Top Bottom