• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

CAL 2000

Smash Rookie
Yeah I'd perfer level up. Always felt like I accomplished more compared to a regular battle. Or both? Does anyone have multiple victory themes?
Joker but it's dependent on what Persona game's music is playing on Mementos and it only changes on that stage. I can still definitely see them doing multiple victory themes for Hero, it wouldn't be too wild or insane of a move.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It should be like this: similarly to how Joker ending the match with his final smash sends the game immediately to the results screen while his finisher portrait is on the screen, The Hero ending the match with one of their attacks causes the Dragon Quest victory tone to play instead of the announcer saying "GAME!" In fact, "GAME!" doesn't show up onscreen at all, instead a text box that says "The enemies are defeated / [specific opponent if it was a 1 on 1] is defeated", and when it transitions to the results screen it plays the level-up jingle from Dragon Quest.

Edit: I finally did it everyone

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It should be like this: similarly to how Joker ending the match with his final smash sends the game immediately to the results screen while his finisher portrait is on the screen, The Hero ending the match with one of their attacks causes the Dragon Quest victory tone to play instead of the announcer saying "GAME!" In fact, "GAME!" doesn't show up onscreen at all, instead a text box that says "The enemies are defeated / [specific opponent if it was a 1 on 1] is defeated", and when it transitions to the results screen it plays the level-up jingle from Dragon Quest.
Oh yeah something could feel like the numbers showing up are like level up stats or something :D

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

I don't know. It was a novelty with Joker. If they do it with more characters it won't be as cool anymore.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't know. It was a novelty with Joker. If they do it with more characters it won't be as cool anymore.
*looks at your avatar*

Ahh, I see what's goin' on ;)

Edit: I'm just doin' some playful teasing

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Heyyyy, nice job! Welcome to the "I got THAT equipment" club!

You still have to fuse it with a Liquid Metal Sword though. :p

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Heyyyy, nice job! Welcome to the "I got THAT equipment" club!

You still have to fuse it with a Liquid Metal Sword though. :p
I did, one of the residents told me the recipe, haha.

I don't plan on committing to clearing all the trials, I'm only attempting them while I wait for The Hero to drop. So far I've beaten the Silver Dragon.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
I agree, Joker is from a really unique series that's umbrella'd under an even more unique franchise. Not to say any of the other series in smash aren't unique, more that they're all a little more traditional than MegaTen is. Like, the only other series that would be comparable would be Xenoblade but even then it still doesn't have stuff like Lucifer turning you into a demon so you can lead his army against YHVH or going in-between the real world and an abstract dimension via TVs to solve a small town murder mystery.

At the same time though, this is Dragon Quest. I think they could get something like a unique victory animation for ending it with an FS after the match ends. Like all the Heroes from the FS are there to congratulate the player Hero on winning or something akin to that. No straight cut to the result screen but it would still be neat.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I agree, Joker is from a really unique series that's umbrella'd under an even more unique franchise. Not to say any of the other series in smash aren't unique, more that they're all a little more traditional than MegaTen is. Like, the only other series that would be comparable would be Xenoblade but even then it still doesn't have stuff like Lucifer turning you into a demon so you can lead his army against YHVH or going in-between the real world and an abstract dimension via TVs to solve a small town murder mystery.

At the same time though, this is Dragon Quest. I think they could get something like a unique victory animation for ending it with an FS after the match ends. Like all the Heroes from the FS are there to congratulate the player Hero on winning or something akin to that. No straight cut to the result screen but it would still be neat.
The problem is that if you do it for multiple characters it's not unique anymore. I'm all for Hero having a unique victory situation, but not just doing the same thing as Joker. The reason it worked with Joker is because in P5, ending a battle with an all out attack replaces the end battle stats with the AoA splash screen. So ending a battle with an AoA in smash does the same thing. It was a unique reason that DQ doesn't have. If we start doing it for other characters that don't have a reason for it, it stops being unique. I'm sure there are plenty of other ways Hero's victory screen could be made unique.

I actually want to see every fighter pass character get a unique victory screen. Like Banjo and Kazooie could have dialogue boxes on the victory screen that break the fourth wall, like asking the players to hurry up and move to the next screen so they can stop posing or something.

I like the idea of Hero having the DQ end of battle stuff, especially the "X was defeated" part. I just think there could be a different way to implement it other than ending the battle with a final smash.

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
The idea sounds cool, but I'd kinda prefer if Hero had traditional victory animations for once. As nice as his gimmick was, Joker made me miss them.

As for the victory fanfare, I think a clip of the Overture would be best. Something like this:
Maybe they could incorporate the actual victory jingle into the last note, too.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
The idea sounds cool, but I'd kinda prefer if Hero had traditional victory animations for once. As nice as his gimmick was, Joker made me miss them.

As for the victory fanfare, I think a clip of the Overture would be best. Something like this:
Maybe they could incorporate the actual victory jingle into the last note, too.
This is perfect

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Perfect that he stole my art and my edited music clip to make the exact same thing.

But yeah, I dig the idea of having a text screen showing off gold obtained exp obtained etc, although it isn't really needed imo. There's nothing close to a unique after battle sequence to my knowledge in DQ. And I'm ok with that.

The only way I see Victory Beep + Level Up jingle working is by them orchestrating the heck put of them both to fit a 7 second theme. Otherwise it will just sound too barren.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Perfect that he stole my art and my edited music clip to make the exact same thing.

But yeah, I dig the idea of having a text screen showing off gold obtained exp obtained etc, although it isn't really needed imo. There's nothing close to a unique after battle sequence to my knowledge in DQ. And I'm ok with that.

The only way I see Victory Beep + Level Up jingle working is by them orchestrating the heck put of them both to fit a 7 second theme. Otherwise it will just sound too barren.
I KNEW I recognized that art. If it's not too much trouble on your end, you should call them out, stealing art and stuff isn't cool.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Today hopefully
The less you expect him, the more likely he'll be to arrive, is the lesson these past few weeks have taught me.

It will almost definitely be this week or EVO.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Beat the Golden Dragon and got the Dragovian shield, now my character has the exact same look in Smash Ultimate~

Edit: I tried to fight the Darksteel Dragon three times and lost pretty quickly every time. I think I'm gonna call it here for the Dragovian Trials, my character looks like the Smash version and that satisfies me enough.

Last edited:

TAL15MAN

Smash Rookie
The less you expect him, the more likely he'll be to arrive, is the lesson these past few weeks have taught me.

It will almost definitely be this week or EVO.
Dude I'm getting Blue Balls over this though.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
Beat the Golden Dragon and got the Dragovian shield, now my character has the exact same look in Smash Ultimate~

Edit: I tried to fight the Darksteel Dragon three times and lost pretty quickly every time. I think I'm gonna call it here for the Dragovian Trials, my character looks like the Smash version and that satisfies me enough.
You want to use the move hero learns at 70, or the critical skills(hero spears and yangus axes to deal damage), but congrats! Darksteel was always the hardest until you learn that move at 70.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
You want to use the move hero learns at 70, or the critical skills(hero spears and yangus axes to deal damage), but congrats! Darksteel was always the hardest until you learn that move at 70.
Thank you, but yeah, my party is, on average, level 45, and I don't feel like leveling up all the way to 70 (especially since I maxed out Clubs and Humanity on Yangus and ignored axes, which, apparently, is a rookie mistake, oh well). Maybe if I feel like revisiting the game sometime.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
祝え!時空を超えて闇を破壊する者、そして伝説の救世主… 勇者たちあらわれた!

Iwae! Jikū wo koete Yami wo hakai suru mono, so****e densetsu no kyūseishu... Yūshatachi arawareta!

Celebrate! Those who shall destroy the darkness through the Time and Space, the legendary saviors... The Heroes Draws Near!

I'm prepared to say this since last month.

(Edit: And I can't believe that the censor bot messed it up x,D)

Last edited:

lukinator1

Smash Apprentice
Finally!

Why the morning though? That's annoying, but oh well.
probably because it's a more reasonable time for japan, i also wonder if they will release him on the same day of this video, but it's good to see there's a date for something

kirbsmash

Smash Champion

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
HOO BOY I'M EXCITED

Still though, 22 minutes? No way it'll JUST be about Hero. Considering it's 4.0, we're bound to have another surprise or two along with them.

I'm really hoping he'll just go "The Hero will be released after this presentation" Like he had done with Ryu, Roy and Lucas. Or at least the next day like with Joker.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>Hero coverage is at 9 AM in the morning
This isn't funny guys, I have to dodge the Internet yet again to avoid spoilers since I'll be at work until after lunchtime.

In any case, I don't mind being proven wrong again. I honestly wonder if they got him ready for EVO after all.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
HOO BOY I'M EXCITED

Still though, 22 minutes? No way it'll JUST be about Hero. Considering it's 4.0, we're bound to have another surprise or two along with them.

I'm really hoping he'll just go "The Hero will be released after this presentation" Like he had done with Ryu, Roy and Lucas. Or at least the next day like with Joker.
Most likely it'll be next day due to the July video. If he's not out in July that could be wired.

Also apparently home run contest was datamined so maybe that? Word of light expansion(enemies in his trailer a wierd darkness effect) we will get something for sure.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
This isn't funny guys, I have to dodge the Internet yet again to avoid spoilers since I'll be at work until after lunchtime.

In any case, I don't mind being proven wrong again. I honestly wonder if they got him ready for EVO after all.
Will be 1h before my dental procedure. Will be the calm before the storm for me.

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice

He won't be at EVO. The cutoff date for patches was on July 17th, IIRC.
HOO BOY I'M EXCITED

I wouldn't say it would have more content that 3.0.0, necessarily, but the fact that it's being livestreamed when Joker's video wasn't is interesting.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It took me an hour to get the "best" ending in Dragon Quest VIII, but wow, perfect timing!

I know I'm getting up early. Best part is, unlike Joker, the overview trailer isn't shadow dropped so we can actually make time to see it, even if it's on short notice.

Top Bottom