• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with my dog

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Link to original post: [drupal=5282]Help with my dog[/drupal]

I went on vacation with my dog down the shore from the 3rd to about the 7th (not my idea, my parents had the bright idea). After we got back, we had a thunderstorm that was really bad that lasted like an hour or two and my dog was completely shaking. We went to my local fireworks a few hours later (didn't bring my dog) and since we got back, she won't move. She's been laying on her bed and hasn't gone outside or pee/pooped since. If you stand her up, she'll just sit there and when she DID move yesterday, she dragged herself and didn't move her hind legs.

Do you think she's scared stiff or is do you think she hurt herself? My mom is taking her to the vet later, but she thinks I stepped on her and am not telling her.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I dunno, but fireworks scare the **** out of dogs and most animals.

Jet300

Smash Ace
Dogs are scared by loud noise period. But I don't know why it didn't move, hope your dog gets better soon.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Dogs are scared by loud noise period.
Not actually true.

Have you ever heard of hunting dogs?

They are constantly in close range of gunfire, and can't be scared by it. My dog, who is a hunting dog, isn't phased by it at all. There's actually a test that we were supposed to do to see if he would be scared by gunfire. We held a gun next to his head, and shot it at the ground. He didn't even flinch.

He still gets scared ****less by fireworks though, I think it's because they don't know where the noise is coming from, whereas with hunting dogs they know the noise is coming from the gun, because the first time they hear it they see the gun making the noise.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Link to original post: [drupal=5282]Help with my dog[/drupal]

I went on vacation with my dog down the shore from the 3rd to about the 7th (not my idea, my parents had the bright idea). After we got back, we had a thunderstorm that was really bad that lasted like an hour or two and my dog was completely shaking. We went to my local fireworks a few hours later (didn't bring my dog) and since we got back, she won't move. She's been laying on her bed and hasn't gone outside or pee/pooped since. If you stand her up, she'll just sit there and when she DID move yesterday, she dragged herself and didn't move her hind legs.

Do you think she's scared stiff or is do you think she hurt herself? My mom is taking her to the vet later, but she thinks I stepped on her and am not telling her.
She's fine. It is disturbing when a dog is frightened like that but unless your dog is especially atypical it is fairly normal behavior. My dog sometimes looks like she's having a seizure when fireworks go off. Afaik there's not really much you can do but she's not gonna physically hurt herself in a dramatic fashion. the leg thing could be cramps from the constant tensing of the muscles.

edit: oh wait, this is over the course of several days? that's a little stranger, but I would wait a little while and do some simple comforting things as well as bring food and drink to her and try to get her to at least drink something.

Jet300

Smash Ace
Not actually true.

Have you ever heard of hunting dogs?

They are constantly in close range of gunfire, and can't be scared by it. My dog, who is a hunting dog, isn't phased by it at all. There's actually a test that we were supposed to do to see if he would be scared by gunfire. We held a gun next to his head, and shot it at the ground. He didn't even flinch.

He still gets scared ****less by fireworks though, I think it's because they don't know where the noise is coming from, whereas with hunting dogs they know the noise is coming from the gun, because the first time they hear it they see the gun making the noise.
Well maybe not gun shot, but they still scared by thunder and fireworks. My jack Russell terrier isn't scared of thunder, but he just ****s him self when somebody pops fireworks.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Well maybe not gun shot, but they still scared by thunder and fireworks. My jack Russell terrier isn't scared of thunder, but he just ****s him self when somebody pops fireworks.
Yeah, like I said before, it's probably due to them not knowing where the Thunder/Fireworks come from.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
You shouldn't take your dog's health lightly. When in doubt, ask your vet. Your vet knows way more about your dog than any of us ever could.

:phone:

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I think taking him to the vet is the best idea.

If they're just scared from the fireworks still, I'd just give them time. Try and be normal with them and make sure nothing else scares them. Eventually they'll come round. They got to eat/play/do something eventually. Kinda weird to last for so long...

Our dog gets seriously bad motion sickness. He refuses to move after car journeys for the first day (I have to carry all 25kg of him to bed at night) and is still kinda off for the second day.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Ok she went to the vet and as expected, there was nothing wrong with her. They charged her 400 bucks to give her some pain meds. Oh, and she's basically fine now.

BSP

Smash Legend
Good to hear she's ok.

My dog won't leave my side if there's thunder or fireworks going off.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
$400? That just makes me mad right there. I would have waited a bit longer but I do understand the concern.

Good to hear she's ok.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Healthcare is so ******** in the USA, even for animals O_o. Better off being sick and hoping you don't die instead of paying $12,000 dollar bills.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
LMFAO at $400.
Glad your dog is okay, dude.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Healthcare is so ******** in the USA, even for animals O_o. Better off being sick and hoping you don't die instead of paying $12,000 dollar bills.
Vets are ridiculously expensive anywhere.

A lot of people over here become vets for the money, I mean you can charge huge sums just to pump a really ill animal with the death jab.

Ayup.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah, I love Australia in terms of healthcare to an extent. :3

But yeah i'd be really worried if my dog wasn't acting normal for days on end. I know it sounds bad but i'd be glad to hear my dog was ok even if it did cost me 400. My vision of that could be a little skewed however, seeing as i've just come in to working age and 400 doesn't have as much value for me as it would for someone who actually works. Still, I love my dog to bits so....

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah, I love Australia in terms of healthcare to an extent. :3
Jealous. Kinda funny that the US is the only modern country without proper healthcare. Not that we should get into an off topic arguement on this thead.

Kinda weird. My dog doesn't care about fireworks at all. They'll go off and she'll just lay down and take a nap. But then again she's from Canada and wasn't born in America. lol

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Jealous. Kinda funny that the US is the only modern country without proper healthcare. Not that we should get into an off topic arguement on this thead.

Kinda weird. My dog doesn't care about fireworks at all. They'll go off and she'll just lay down and take a nap. But then again she's from Canada and wasn't born in America. lol
Well it's not really an argument if we all agree on it. :p

In any case, you're right. But the main thing stands: Glad to know your dog is safe. Humans often under-estimate the power of having pets and don't understand fully their power until they are in danger of losing that pet or the pet dies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Ok she went to the vet and as expected, there was nothing wrong with her. They charged her 400 bucks to give her some pain meds. Oh, and she's basically fine now.
$400? That's upsetting :glare:. At least your dog is okay!

Top Bottom