• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Rich fight Sonic thread

RichBrown

Smash Master
sadjghaskjdfhsgkadjfhgkasjdfhgjkasdhfgsjkafga I see a lot of my mistakes now, they were mostly just stupid tired mistakes since I had to SPRINT to the venue to make it on time, and I play miserably when I don't warm up, johns, etc

3spy vs rich game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqaQxHBwOCI
2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tc1PVc1uQI
3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBYUruBvESA
4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt-LVpyDvqA
5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi-0zqdgsvw (WTF AT MY DI ON MY FIRST STOCK, I WAS LIVING TO AT LEAST 150% ON EVERY OTHER STOCK THE WHOLE SET, UGH YOU HAVE TO BE PERFECT WITH OLIMAR IF YOU WANNA PLAY AT THE TOP LEVEL ASDKGASJDHGASKJDHGAKJSDGHAKJSDHGKAHDAL:KFJGAKSJDHG:AKJFGAJSDHG:AKSJFGJH)

Despite playing the worst I've played in a really long time I still managed to bring it to last hit, but couldn't get it done, ****ing heartbreaking.... I'm going to Whobo solely to ****ing **** 3spy, I don't even care about the rest of the tournament, so help me out guys :3

Dnyce

Smash Master
i beat 3spy last hobo so by inui logic im the best olimar

:yeahboi:
I read this... and for some reason though that inui and logic teaming together would be the best team name ever.

Just sayin... :3

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
Zori has a great point.

I will play 35PY more, and see what I come out with. I do not know the mu very much though, other then he is supposed to get in Oli and stop him from picking or doing anything that has to do with Pikmin. Cause he's that fast.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I get matched up against 3spy at like... EVERY ****ing tournament I go to and I still don't understand this match-up.

I know we're supposed to throw out a lot of Fsmash, stutterstepped Fsmash to stutterstepped Fsmash, Fsmash to pivot grab, etc. and you should watch out when respawning because he can be a douche and lay a spring under us.
Strike YI Brawl and ban Picto, Lylat and BF are good choices, umm...
I think he can do some weird invincibility **** on RC, too.
Yellows are good, but they die easily so if you plan on trying to use pikmin to slow his spindash try not to use them. :<

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
First mistake I noticed was letting the first stage strike down to FD. That's one of his counterpicks against us. The lack of platforms makes his run-the-hell-away game harder to punish.

Don't fsmash when he gets too close. It isn't a spacing tool, it's a trap he has to run into. It's laggy, and Sonic is good at getting around it and punishing it.

Running around a lot in general in the Sonic matchup is bad. You want to sit pretty stationary. Standing grab is better than pivot grab. Dash grab isn't a whole lot worse than the others in this matchup. If Sonic can punish a dash grab, he can punish any of the others, due to his speed. So don't be too afraid to dash grab.

I'm not sure if you can usmash oos against his bair, but I'm pretty sure you can.

You pretty much only throw pikmin from the air, which makes it easier for him to get in. Switch it up between grounded and aerial pikmin toss, because Sonic is going to be looking for openings the entire time to approach through. You need to hide these openings.

Sometimes it's best to just throw out random neutral airs against Sonic. It's our best move at beating out his priority, and, like fsmash, Sonic will sometimes run into it. It's not as punishable as likely to hit as fsmash, but it isn't as punishable.

Nice usmash juggles at about 6:40. Thinking usmash as our main juggling tool is best in this matchup, instead of going aerial.

Don't just charge usmashes against Sonic. He isn't going to run into them and if he just waits a moment, he will punish it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You CP'd FD????

Nice Fair at the beginning. You should try to fair more.

At about 0:45 you used pivot grab in the main way you need to use it. As a punish. Don't try to space with pivot grabs like you would against other characters, it doesn't work like that against Sonic.

Same with nair at about 1:38. That's what I meant earlier about Nair.

You're playing a lot better this game, even considering you're on FD against Sonic, lol.

lol stop falling onto the spring at the beginning of each stock.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the beginning, you did dthrow -> white pimin toss. It probably would have been better to go for the usmash for one reason. The missiles appeared on picto, and Sonic would have been sent right up towards the left one. It wouldn't have hit him, but it would have scared him into air dodging, and you would have been able to punish the air dodge with another usmash, into the missile.

Stop trying to hit sonic when he's spinning from the slanted edges. You can't hit him, haha. All that happens is you'll get hit.

lol liking the green greens cp

You're staling the hell out of your uthrow. The yellow damage is good, but it'd be better to save it for a blue kill.

Yep, usmash oos beats bair.

Don't be afraid to land on the ledge. You go for the stage a lot when you're recovering, and Sonic's always goign to be there to punish it. Not that landing on the stage is always a bad idea, but just be careful.

I'll watch the sets more after awhile and see if I can notice anything else.

Edit: Glad to hear you're going to Whobo!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Guys, what do you think about UTilt in this mu? I use it when I figure Sonic's going to attempt to crossup, or do anything that hits Olimar, really. Iirc, it beats a lot of his approaches, but I've wondered if this is just because I've played bad Sonics.

I asked this in the social, but now that I know this thread exists it seems much more appropriate :)

Dnyce

Smash Master
TL;DR Fsmash + Pivot Grab wins the MU, how the **** did you lose?
Yeah, I didn't watch the vids yet... but I have a feeling my critique is going to look like that too when I get the chance. <3

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Better question, why are you here Max10n? o_o

Dnyce

Smash Master
You say this as if this is something new; you, I, and anyone who frequents the serious threads on this board know Dnyce never reads anything

still <3 Fino tho :)
Yeah, pretty much this.

Going back and actually reading Hilt's post makes me think that these vids are going to be some of the most fail I will ever witness from RB =/

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Lmao, because I frequently lurk character boards, especially on characters relevant to my city and character. You guys are a 0-100 MU for me, so it pays to know little details.

It's comical to think 3spi doesn't know about this thread though, for what it's worth. (try spelling it like I did, much less likely to be namesearched)

Edit: For what it's worth though, since I did stop by, I'll admit Hilt's right about trying to hit Sonic on Picto or Yoshi's when he's spinning on the slants. He becomes invincible. But that's common knowledge, so take it however you want.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The best part is how hard Hilt is editing the names to avoid name searches by me!

Guys, seriously.
Reverse pivot grab.
We're powerless to stop it.

You're making this match up so much more complicated than it is.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
He's got a point there. Also, fun fact: We just learned, like, 3 days ago about the U-Air on ledge to reshuffle Pikmin thing.

He's right though, your grabs are killer. Not to mention the whistle superarmor, like R1ch Br0wn did in game 5. It was sick. Everyone thought he'd U-smash for the win there.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The best part is that Rich will probably never see another Sonic for months. The odds of him running into a Sonic in tournament again are hilariously slim.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
so many mistakes in those matches by rich...all he had to do was fsmash at the right times, side b a lot more, and throw out lots of anti-air moves once sonic is limited by fsmash...and DI away from sonic's stuff better, seriously, so many mistakes @_@

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
so many mistakes in those matches by rich...all he had to do was fsmash at the right times, side b a lot more, and throw out lots of anti-air moves once sonic is limited by fsmash...and DI away from sonic's stuff better, seriously, so many mistakes @_@

You know...

1: Sonic can punish your fsmash.
2: His use of sideB is what allows me to get into his range to begin with.

What Rich Brown needs to do is avoid that little sideB pattern he gets into. It'll make approaching with Sonic much more difficult.

Fsmash is a decent idea, but again, given the proper spacing, a Sonic can and will punish you without any real problem.

Olimar beats Sonic by keeping away from him via spacing those pivot grabs. I'm not joking when I say how much his pivot grab limits Sonic's ground approach.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Details, furry.

Fsmash at the right time? What defines the "right time"?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
right time=the point where sonic is outside the maximum range of fsmash or not in the air...pretty much any other time is the right time, unless you see sonic charging spindash, then olimar waits for the release

RichBrown

Smash Master
I usually sideB when I have no idea wtf is going on lmao

and yeah we have 1 sonic in so cal and he doesn't show up to much

But I have a feeling there will be more sonics thanks to the success of you and X (did you see how many Olis there were at Dallas?! Yes I'm taking credit for that loool)

Eh I just jumped too much Oli should almost never jump

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Well, I wonder how well I play this MU according to Hilt then? Like pivot grab doesn't bother me too much as I usually stop short of the grab range.

@Rich: I doubt it. Nobody is really WILLING to play Sonic unless they are diehard fans. Even then, they'd rather just play a better character and not give Sonic a 2nd thought.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
there are A LOT of olimars in the dallas region compared to every other region, just sayin ;)

rich brown is on the left, im on the right

Coney

Smash Master
But I have a feeling there will be more sonics thanks to the success of you and X (did you see how many Olis there were at Dallas?! Yes I'm taking credit for that loool)
midwest is like, the land of the olimars + warios, you were pretty close to there

btw rich i definitely had you winning in my aib bracket, you let me down bro...you owe me a $15 steam game imo

but tbh who would have expected the guy to get that far in the first place, christ what a talent

hello olimars and sonic

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It'll be just like Pikachu.
They'll pick him up, realize how much work you need to put into him to be of any success, then leave. There's a reason why Shugo and Malcolm quit, while Kai has secondaries.

Of course, none of them just won 1K+. :p

Dnyce

Smash Master
there are A LOT of olimars in the dallas region compared to every other region, just sayin ;)

rich brown is on the left, im on the right
If you're REALLY saying Rich is Nozomi Kiriya, then I would bone him SOOOO fast...

One of my all time favorite anime characters, lmao.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
yeah it's pretty much don't let him approach, and you have like 10 ways to stop his ground approach, and a few to stop his air approach. try to time him out, run away/sideb and wait for him to do whatever he does and then just pivot grab/fsmash/shield and respond. i say try to time him out because that means you will be extremely defensive, and there isn't much he can do about it. just be patient, i didnt watch your matches but that's generally what to do vs sonic =]

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
yeah it's pretty much don't let him approach, and you have like 10 ways to stop his ground approach, and a few to stop his air approach. try to time him out, run away/sideb and wait for him to do whatever he does and then just pivot grab/fsmash/shield and respond. i say try to time him out because that means you will be extremely defensive, and there isn't much he can do about it. just be patient, i didnt watch your matches but that's generally what to do vs sonic =]
How many of them know the match-up? I mean being defensive is definitely the way to go but you've gotta do more than just pivot grab/fsmash/latch. Unless you have an entire line-up of purples, latch isn't a threat. We're gonna approach regardless. Assuming the Sonic knows the match-up, the better question you should ask yourself is "What do I do if Sonic gets the lead?" Sonic does to Olimar what Olimar does to everyone else.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I could've sworn that it was Brood vs M2K first.

Well, I wonder how well I play this MU according to Hilt then? Like pivot grab doesn't bother me too much as I usually stop short of the grab range.
Do you name search Espy and follow him or something?

It'll be just like Pikachu.
They'll pick him up, realize how much work you need to put into him to be of any success, then leave. There's a reason why Shugo and Malcolm quit, while Kai has secondaries.
Nope, I am going pick up Sonic and stick with him.

Top Bottom