• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help needed performing pill moves.

Kino

Smash Cadet
Alright, thanks for reading, and thanks if you reply, im having trouble doing some moves.

First is i can seem to waveland after fulljump pill, it wont let me, its like it isnt meant to work, can someone go into depth to explain how i do it??

Secondly i cant seem to do a fulljump pill then dj pill? it wont let me, what am i doing wrong?

Questor96

Smash Journeyman
You're probably not hitting B early enough, you need to hit it as soon as you leave the ground, in order to jump or waveland after the Pill ends.

That, or you're trying to waveland or jump to early, which is unlikely, but could happen.

Kino

Smash Cadet
thanks i reckon i will be able to fj pil to waveland now, but how do i pill then doublejump pill?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Just learn the timing use your index finger to hit the jump button and like practically at the same time do your first pill (this is why using your index finger is good, you can do other moves at the same exact time) and then lets say when mario is a foot or so above the ground hit jump again and do your second pill ^_^

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
There's no need to use your index finger. That's just extrenous work, but he's right about hitting B as early as possible. After you do your first pill, you have to wait for the pill animation to end before you can double jump and do another one. And for the wave land pill, you might be fast falling, too.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
zlofl. No, if you can use the claw method of holding the controller it will improve your aerial game phenominally. It allows you to hit more buttons in less amount of time.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
thanks i reckon i will be able to fj pil to waveland now, but how do i pill then doublejump pill?
Full jump, and as you rise, pill. The la will end early enough for you to DJ and pill again.
For these pill techniques, the rule is generally the same: Don't pill at the peak of your jump, but instead, as you rise.
If you don't do this, the lag will cut into the point in which you land, or maybe grab the edge in the ledgecancelled pill (Which is real bad).

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Lmao, "claw method." Did you name that? Anyways, it's still unnecessary. You're fumbling around making hand movements that don't need to be made, you get lost or don't have your fingers where you need them, and you get punished for it. Not something I see necessary to fiddle around with and, "master." Could you give me a few more examples when it would be beneficial to you in combat?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Lmao, "claw method." Did you name that? Anyways, it's still unnecessary. You're fumbling around making hand movements that don't need to be made, you get lost or don't have your fingers where you need them, and you get punished for it. Not something I see necessary to fiddle around with and, "master." Could you give me a few more examples when it would be beneficial to you in combat?
Are you dead ******* serious?

>_>

I mean some people have never heard of it, sure, but asking how it can be used? It's simple logic, being able to hit more buttons at the same time allows more possibilities...

Faster aerials = easy short hop double fair with marth, easy/faster uair shuffling with mario/doc/cap, easy double missle with samus, easy short hop double laser with fox, faster jumping out of shine... etc...

I'm somewhat baffled and somewhat disgusted...

FOB

Smash Ace
I don't think its really neccesary to learn the claw method because the the second analog stick (C-stick) isn't used nearly as much as in Halo.

I take it you play Halo or used to?

I think you should just get used to the distance between y/x and the c stick. Learning pill tricks is frustrating but I don't think that changing your hand style is really neccessary. I also don't think that your index finger is fast enough to hit the buttons at the same speed that your thumb can. (unless you train of course)

Unlike Halo, Smash uses the buttons much more than the C stick.

*if you don't play Halo then w/e*

Eitherway, go into vs. mode against a unmaned controller or training if you don't a have an extra controller. Then just practice pressing b immediatly after pressing y/x. After that just press R/L. You don't need to get to wave landing yet. Wavelanding is the easiest part so just try to be able to air dodge after your FJP.
Once you get that down try implementing a wave land and then an attack. I first did down smash because I could just slide my thumb from b all the way down.

EazyP

Smash Ace
Are you dead ******* serious?

>_>

I mean some people have never heard of it, sure, but asking how it can be used? It's simple logic, being able to hit more buttons at the same time allows more possibilities...

Faster aerials = easy short hop double fair with marth, easy/faster uair shuffling with mario/doc/cap, easy double missle with samus, easy short hop double laser with fox, faster jumping out of shine... etc...

I'm somewhat baffled and somewhat disgusted...
The claw method should make minimal if no difference. It's just like driving. I know some people who drive with both feet on both pedals at once, saying that if they drive that way, they'll drive with faster reactions, which isn't the truth. The point is you just gotta practice the timing, not move your hands around. Then again, it's just about what makes you comfortable and what works

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Yes, I play Halo just as much as I play SSBM, and it carried over.

And the claw method requires your fingers to move around less, therefore increasing button input. It does make a difference, I can do things I never could before D: But that's probably because I play fast characters... when I'm slow characters I don't claw, only when I'm falcon (my main) and characters I need to do multi aerial moves with, it just makes it easier. *shrug*

And driving is nothing like using a controller but hey whatev xD

magnebula

Smash Journeyman
the claw method is incredibly unecessary for play with doc... its very feasible to complete all advanced techniques with doc holding the controler in a normal manner. I have some pretty hefty pill work, and all i do is move my thumb from x to b, just like that. that is not to say the claw method doesnt work, i just find it ridiculous to consider for doc.

all pill work includes is using a combonation of standing, sh'd, and fj's pills while moving back and forth using wavelands by doing a rising pill. nothing more to it. a rising pill is ever so simply done by jumping and immediately pressing b to shoot a pill. a pill dj pill is just as easy, u do a fj rising pill followed by the dj instead of a waveland.

Its not hard, you guys put in a little bit of practice, cant get something right away, dont bother reading up on how to do it, then complain about not being able to. I dont mean to respond harshly, but people just dont bother practicing a bit more n reading up on things.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
It is ridiculous for Doc, which is why I only use it to to do the double pill ;_;

But I switch from normal to claw for all characters, very sub consciously, people watching me say it's crazy :O

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
Why does everybody jump with the x button :/
I always jump with Y :)
I can then Shine -> Jump cancel shine infinite :)

With doc it is easy. Double missle with Samus and SHDL with fox is harder then Double Pills imo

7ak

Smash Journeyman
The claw is so dumb for Halo and SSBM. It just hurts your hands unless you have very small hands or a huge controller. Most of those tricks that are easier to do if you have two fingers on the right side aren't very useful in a real match.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
In reply to the topic, to do another move after the first full-jumped pill (in general), you usually have to press B during the beginning of the animation of the full-jump. You'll know you'll be able to perform another aerial/waveland/move before hitting the ground when you see the little circle of smoke a little bit under the mid point of the full-jump from throwing the pill.

technomancer

Smash Champion
M2K uses the claw, as well as several other pros... Generally it's a Fox/Falco thing that allows you to JC shines faster, or for someone who C-sticks alot of aerials, because it's hard to c-stick and jump and c-stick back and forth.

Kino

Smash Cadet
id rather have my hands comftorble than try and change how i hold it. tbh. i have got fj pil to dj pill thanks to everyones help, j ust needa work those buttons quicker, and iev done wavelandeing frm it a few times but not nearly done it. thanks for the help and continue debating.

FOB

Smash Ace
The claw is so dumb for Halo and SSBM. It just hurts your hands unless you have very small hands or a huge controller. Most of those tricks that are easier to do if you have two fingers on the right side aren't very useful in a real match.
*STAMPED* OPINION!

FOB

Smash Ace
Yeah in shooter games its really important because you got to use both thumbs to use the anolog sticks. This makes it hard to hit buttons at the same time. So Walshy decided to use his Index Finder to hit the buttons while he could still use both sticks

Enigmatics

Smash Rookie
l dunno about doc, but l'm able to shdl and shffl a LOT closer to frame-perfect using the "claw". before l was using my wrist to move the c-stick as fast as l could, but being able to do it nearly the same time you press jump is a huge improvement, imo.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
The claw does make a difference, it just takes time to get used to. And for me at least it makes WDing, using fox (quicker WDs out of shines because you aren't using the thumb to hit b and then x/y). As many of Fox's tricks involve jumping and doing attacks immediately, being able to use on finger to jump and one to hit b is useful---no chance of hitting 'a' as you try and slide the thumb.

However, Docs tricks are not that intensive (pill tricks, SHBAWD, etc.) except for the up-B cancel, but that involves analog stick speed, not right hand speed. Thus using the claw isn't really necessary. The closest Doc gets would be the SHBAWD, but there is lots of room for error there, as opposed to Fox's SHDL, where you have to be perfect.

lets try and keep this on-topic... :)

Mix

Smash Cadet
this is it... Rising pill... as soon as you leave the ground, pill. this will allow you to either waveland or do a DJ then do another pill. XD

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
Or! If you don't want to completely switch up how you hold the controller, you can do the full-jump with the C-stick, since it uses your left hand, leaving your right thumb to Pill sooner in the jump.

Top Bottom