• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Hey Guys. I keep watching Shulk's trailer over and over. Does anybody know the name of the song in his trailer?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Does anyone else think the volume level of "You will know our names," in the trailer is kind of low?

Also, count me in with group that would have rather seen Reyn in the FS or Melia as an assist then see Riki double dip. Not that I dislike Riki in either role, I just want to see more Xenoblade characters represented. Maybe it was one for practical purposes? They may have used Riki for the assist because they already made his model for the FS.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Does anyone else think the volume level of "You will know our names," in the trailer is kind of low?

Also, count me in with group that would have rather seen Reyn in the FS or Melia as an assist then see Riki double dip. Not that I dislike Riki in either role, I just want to see more Xenoblade characters represented. Maybe it was one for practical purposes? They may have used Riki for the assist because they already made his model for the FS.
So far its been quite male centric in the Xenoblade representation. I mean I can see Sharla not being reped since she wasn't THAT important, and seven is rather spoilery, but if Melia isn't in in some way, I'm going to be slightly annoyed! the fact that Riki is in two roles is insulting to the other party members, so i'm personally hoping for the 'random party members' theory and sakuri chose those two specifically to throw us off with two riki's, and a character with not TOO much significance (plot wise) after the first half or so. Honestly though, Melia would make an awesome assist trophy and work well, since she could summon her elementals and give you buffs like regeneration and stuff.

Last edited:

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
if Melia isn't in in some way, I'm going to be slightly annoyed! the fact that Riki is in two roles is insulting to the other party members, so i'm personally hoping for the 'random party members' theory and sakuri chose those two specifically to throw us off with two riki's,
I think the random party members theory is going to be the one. I think that the leaks forced Sakurai to push the trailer out ahead of intended release, maybe meaning the trailer had to be edited and completed in a short amount of time - so they only needed one quick recording of the Final Smash for the end of the (as you'll notice relatively formulaic) trailer.

Another theory is that Monolith Soft want to have Nopon as signature characters, a mark of auteurship perhaps, as they're the most unique designs. I doubt they'd put too much attention on Riki, though, when there are plenty of other (actually better) characters they could use like Melia, Seven and Reyn.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
I always thought that Riki would be the Assist Trophy, but why is Riki still in the Final Smash? Where's Reyn!!?

Tomorrow have a music update Sakurai! I want a Main Theme remix!!!!

rogue_shade

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rogue_Shade
3DS FC
4210-4476-8602
I think the random party members theory is going to be the one. I think that the leaks forced Sakurai to push the trailer out ahead of intended release, maybe meaning the trailer had to be edited and completed in a short amount of time - so they only needed one quick recording of the Final Smash for the end of the (as you'll notice relatively formulaic) trailer.
I don't think that's the case. I'm pretty sure they finished all these newcomer trailers a long time ago (Possibly at the beginning of development, when the roster was decided) and just pick out one to show on special occasions.
And I don't think it came out earlier than intended either. The trailer was during a general Direct, which was how Little Mac was revealed. Not to mention we hadn't had a newcomer trailer in a while and it was close to release in Japan. It was almost certainly planned for that time.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So far its been quite male centric in the Xenoblade representation. I mean I can see Sharla not being reped since she wasn't THAT important, and seven is rather spoilery, but if Melia isn't in in some way, I'm going to be slightly annoyed! the fact that Riki is in two roles is insulting to the other party members, so i'm personally hoping for the 'random party members' theory and sakuri chose those two specifically to throw us off with two riki's, and a character with not TOO much significance (plot wise) after the first half or so. Honestly though, Melia would make an awesome assist trophy and work well, since she could summon her elementals and give you buffs like regeneration and stuff.
Sharla is most likely not included because she uses a realistic looking gun. (Also, the popularity thing.)
YES.
As for Reyn, I don't think his quotes are as popular in Japanese. It's an english dub thing.
Reyn isn't as popular in Japan. The localization team and voice actor did a great job of making him relatable to a Western audience, and almost all of his lines are extremely meme friendly. Plus I think his character type is something that people in the West tend to be attracted to more then people in the East. He is a big, lovable, cocky, and fiercely loyal meat head.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Just picked up Xenoblade at gamestop yesterday for $40 with my power up card. Anyway, my copy was basically brand-spanking new, and even the Club Nintendo code was still active, so I consider myself lucky. Thank you to the confused, unaware Call of Dutying/DIsney Infinitying citizens of Forest Hills. The gameplay is fine though not necessarily my first choice in JRPGs, but the way they hype up that sword is unlike anything I've ever seen. The Monado actually is menacing, and so I'm sure it's glorious once Shulk can finally wield it.

Jje09

Smash Apprentice
Just picked up Xenoblade at gamestop yesterday for $40 with my power up card. Anyway, my copy was basically brand-spanking new, and even the Club Nintendo code was still active, so I consider myself lucky. Thank you to the confused, unaware Call of Dutying/DIsney Infinitying citizens of Forest Hills. The gameplay is fine though not necessarily my first choice in JRPGs, but the way they hype up that sword is unlike anything I've ever seen. The Monado actually is menacing, and so I'm sure it's glorious once Shulk can finally wield it.
Knowing gamestop it probably was new D:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Knowing gamestop it probably was new D:
wow. Well, the disk was completely undisturbed and everything.

I'm not intending on getting the new 3DS - at least not at first and I had been playing a ton of old RPGs, so I figured why not.

Another note: we should let the brits localize RPGs first from now on, they're way better than our LA - based obnoxious anime actors.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
wow. Well, the disk was completely undisturbed and everything.

I'm not intending on getting the new 3DS - at least not at first and I had been playing a ton of old RPGs, so I figured why not.

Another note: we should let the brits localize RPGs first from now on, they're way better than our LA - based obnoxious anime actors.
Yes, please, thankyou

Give us an actual voice acting industry that isn't just the role of fancy butler

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I had to pinch myself today (again) to make sure I wasn't dreaming about Shulk being in Smash.

I haven't been this happy for a Smash 4 reveal since Greninja (which I wasn't even expecting), but the problem is that it just... came out of nowhere.

A Japan-only direct around 3/4:AM my time. I didn't even know the direct was on that day, much less that a character would be shown.

If there had been a build-up to it, like a tweet about an upcoming reveal, like Sakurai did with Robin, or a second Smash-centered direct, then it would've been better.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Just reached the boss in the mine..Xord or whatever... and, keep in mind, i like this game but this bossfight is so incredibly badly designed and so freaking CHEAP. There is no way to fill up your teamgauge beforehand, so you will most likely fill it by wiping at that boss. Because Sharla always dies, where i ask HOW THE HELL DOES SHE EVEN PULL AGGRO. Well, she does, and then she dies in 2-3 hits. Yay. No use reviving her because you'll simply reset the teamgauge before you wipe. Then if you manage to finish the team gauge... you CAN NOT (and i know somebody posted something along those lines before), i reapeat, NOT even do 1/5th of his health with one team attack. And you need to somehow get him down to half. I guess I'm gonna grind for a few hours to reach level 30 or something, because this boss is a JOKE. One of the worst bosses design-wise i have ever had the questionable honor of fighting. SHEESH, I'm mad.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522

Seriously, I'd like to see some of the reasoning people had for saying Shulk was impossible. Why would anyone be so absolutely confident that Shulk would never be in Smash?
  1. generic animu swordsman.
  2. too many of ^.
  3. niche game w/ no future (the future is... changing!).
  4. no way irrelevant generic niche animu swordsman is getting in over (insert character that may or may not be more niche and/or irrelevant than Shulk here).
That's all the arguments I ever found against the guy.

rogue_shade

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rogue_Shade
3DS FC
4210-4476-8602
  1. generic animu swordsman.
  2. too many of ^.
  3. niche game w/ no future (the future is... changing!).
  4. no way irrelevant generic niche animu swordsman is getting in over (insert character that may or may not be more niche and/or irrelevant than Shulk here).
That's all the arguments I ever found against the guy.
You missed a few.

5. Not a DK character.
6. Not Ridley.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
How many is going to buy the New 3DS with the port of Xenoblade? I know I am. Am I the only one that thinks Guar Plains is the most beautiful stage so far. I just hope it isn't a scrolling stage.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Just reached the boss in the mine..Xord or whatever... and, keep in mind, i like this game but this bossfight is so incredibly badly designed and so freaking CHEAP. There is no way to fill up your teamgauge beforehand, so you will most likely fill it by wiping at that boss. Because Sharla always dies, where i ask HOW THE HELL DOES SHE EVEN PULL AGGRO. Well, she does, and then she dies in 2-3 hits. Yay. No use reviving her because you'll simply reset the teamgauge before you wipe. Then if you manage to finish the team gauge... you CAN NOT (and i know somebody posted something along those lines before), i reapeat, NOT even do 1/5th of his health with one team attack. And you need to somehow get him down to half. I guess I'm gonna grind for a few hours to reach level 30 or something, because this boss is a JOKE. One of the worst bosses design-wise i have ever had the questionable honor of fighting. SHEESH, I'm mad.
Xord spawns enemies, that's what I used to build the party gauge. And you're supposed to topple him with the team attack, to start damaging him normally.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Xord spawns enemies, that's what I used to build the party gauge. And you're supposed to topple him with the team attack, to start damaging him normally.
Yeah, make sure you topple him. I was literally on that boss fight for about 3 hours my first playthrough because I never toppled him.

TTrain

Official Terminator Train
NNID
ThomasTerminator
3DS FC
4613-7026-8628
How many is going to buy the New 3DS with the port of Xenoblade? I know I am. Am I the only one that thinks Guar Plains is the most beautiful stage so far. I just hope it isn't a scrolling stage.
I already have the money set aside for the new blue 3DS :D

and I love the Guar Plains stage as well :D <3

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I just hope that the Gaur Plain stage doesn't end up like Wily's Castle in that an intrusive boss makes the stage really annoying to play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom