• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I believe it's North America in general that got the shaft in terms of copies of Xenoblade and Gamestop exclusivity. Seems to me that Gamestop is selling the game at a more...reasonable price (meaning not $90) as of late, and I'd get it there if you can. I'm not completely sure about the prices online, but they're usually pretty steep. Although, really, this is just my under-researched sleep-deprived mind talking, I'd Google it if I were you.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I support this. One thing to add to OP is the fact that Xenoblade was so well liked that there's another Xenoblade Chronicles game coming out.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I support this. One thing to add to OP is the fact that Xenoblade was so well liked that there's another Xenoblade Chronicles game coming out.
Indeed. Though I've noticed that the OP hasn't been updated since February :/

And yeah, I'm planning to get a used copy on the Gamestop site...once I get my next check from my family's lumber-sale xD

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Sadly the TC isn't super super active here, (though in my opinion that's sort of a good thing...) but yeah, the fact that X ended up being a spiritual sequel in name and everything is a very good thing. And the user-created protagonist means (in my opinion) that there's no way it'll get in in place Shulk in some Roy-esque promotion move.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
@ fogbadge fogbadge Well hey alright, my question then is what have we seen? I was merely listing all the things I could think of to keep track of what we've seen in Smash Run so far.
darknuts, re-deads, peahats, octorocks cuccos (in a different form from the items) and some says poes but thats the only one i havnt seen a pic for

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
On the topic of which character(s) were used throughout the game, my first playthrough was pretty much exclusively Shulk until. . .
. . . I had to battle Disciple Dorothia. I found that to be a difficult battle, and I had ended up defeating her with Melia as my lead.
After I had beaten the game, I began experimenting / doing quests I hadn't completed with other characters. I haven't yet begun my new game + run yet, but I figure I'll give myself more character variety once I do.

Last edited:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I really liked Dunban's setup of Gale Slash -> Worldly Slash/Electric Buster because it made defeating enemies quick and easy the first time I played. Riki's the next character I frequently used, then Shulk, Seven, Melia, Reyn, and Sharla being last.
I wasn't sure why people liked Xenoblade (I'm really not a fan of huge RPGs because I find them tedious).

But... that scene. Just... wow.

Shulk get in this game already!

I'm a supporter now.

Any ideas on how to get a hold of this game? I need it now. :p
EB Games has it at $39.99!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I really liked Dunban's setup of Gale Slash -> Worldly Slash/Electric Buster because it made defeating enemies quick and easy the first time I played. Riki's the next character I frequently used, then Shulk, Seven, Melia, Reyn, and Sharla being last.

EB Games has it at $39.99!
There's no way they have it new for $49.99

Right?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I started playing Xenoblade again last night... kind of forgot how easy it is to get caught up in, I played till like 4 AM which is something I hardly ever do anymore.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Not new, though, right? That place is listing new at $49.99.
It was used, yes, but he sent me everything that would've come with a unopened copy, even the extra artwork booklet (which is beautiful btw). In fact besides the missing plastic wrapping it's like new.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Um, I was talking to a friend about which Amiibo I'm going to get....and I just realized Shulk will have one if he actually makes it in.

HYPE!

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Um, I was talking to a friend about which Amiibo I'm going to get....and I just realized Shulk will have one if he actually makes it in.

HYPE!
That's one of the great things about Amiibos. For many characters in the roster this will be their first piece of physical merchandise in a long time, if not the first time.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Could this hint something?!
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/28qta7/even_more_evidence_towards_shulks_eventual/
https://twitter.com/A_HOWDZ/status/468458294223581184

Adam Howden's Twitter
"Done some VO on several very exciting games so far this year. I'll tell you what they are when I know my balls won't be cut off for telling."
Well, I think he's already mentioned working on a project he can't mention anything about... But it's nice to have even more re-emphasis that Shulk is gonna be in. With the extreme popularity of Xenoblade Chronicles, X coming out next year, the Gematsu leak, Shulk's VA working on a "mysterious project", I'd say he's all but confirmed.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That's one of the great things about Amiibos. For many characters in the roster this will be their first piece of physical merchandise in a long time, if not the first time.
Because I'm curious, I'm going to list all of them (based only off of a quick internet search, so may be inaccuracies).

In a long time:
Sheik (2007, not that long, but notable)
R.O.B. (1985, Never if we don't count the original R.O.B.)
Captain Olimar (~2004)
Fox (2002ish)
Falco (1993, extremely rare Japan-only UFO Catcher plush)
Marth
Ness
Lucas
Villager (Not so much not recent as limited.)

Ever:
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Captain Falcon
Ike?
Mr. Game and Watch (if you don't count the games, which I don't.)
Palutena (All we have is AR cards)
Wii Fit Trainer
Mii Fighters

However, we might want to be careful about getting our hopes up...

[Reggie] also declined to say how that first round of Amiibo would be released. For instance, would any come with Smash Bros.?

"We have nothing to announce at this point," he said, adding that the plan now was to launch Amiibo at the same time as Smash with "about 10" figures.

"We will continue to make new figures available through the balance of holiday 2014 and then we're going to continuously launch new figures throughout 2015," he said. "For us, we're not putting a numerical limit on how many varied figures we can launch. Our potential catalog of figures in the space is quite broad."

That's because, he said, they're based on characters from the Nintendo universe that have tremendous popularity.

"Even a figure like Marth, which, from a broad population, may not be well known but for that Smash playing audience, they know Marth," he said. "A lot of them enjoy playing as Marth. And then we believe that, given the lineup of figures, we're going to have a more diverse ownership base, not only male and female (because of Peach and Yoshi that appeal to girls) but also from an aging up standpoint because people are going to want to collect Samus. You're going to have people who want to collect Link, all these fantastic characters. So we think our footprint is going to be much larger than what the other people in this space have been able to accomplish."
So, basically, we have to buy some to convince Nintendo to do one for every fighter. I hope they at least do one for every newcomer.

Last edited:

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
Adam Howden's Twitter
"Done some VO on several very exciting games so far this year. I'll tell you what they are when I know my balls won't be cut off for telling."
Yeah, that has to be Nintendo. I don't know of any other gaming company that injects so much fear into each and every one of their employees. haha

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Normally I'd be super jittery and excited over more evidence for Shulk, but lately I've just been chilling out maxing relaxing all cool playing some B-ball outside of my school while waiting for his inevitable reveal. I'm simply expecting it at this point.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Normally I'd be super jittery and excited over more evidence for Shulk, but lately I've just been chilling out maxing relaxing all cool playing some B-ball outside of my school while waiting for his inevitable reveal. I'm simply expecting it at this point.
Maybe we need a couple 'a guys up to no good to make some trouble in this neighborhood.

That might make things more exciting in a relative sort of way.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
So hello. I've been wanting Shulk to be in since almost last year when I bought Xenoblade(I still haven't gotten around to playing it ;-;) in August of Last year. And now with the Gematsu Leak, Xenoblade X, and the tweet previously mentioned... I'm 100% sure we'll get Shulk. But something tells me he'll be a secret Character.. Not sure why, but I think that. But if he's not secret I hope we get a kick ass trailer soon!

Interloper

Smash Cadet
NNID
interloper323
Speaking of that; what series to we have confirmed enemies for? Here's what I can think of...

Mario: Bowser minions (Goombas, Kamek, Koopas)
DK: Tikis and Kremlings
Zelda: Stalfos
Pokemon: Various Pokemon (Gastly, Koffing, Chandelure)
Kid Icarus: A whole ton of things.
Pikmin: Bulborbs
Metroid: Kihunters
Rhythm Heaven: Sneaky Spirits
Megaman :Mets
Sanic: Egg Robos
Pac-man: Pookas (Technically Dig-Dug, but Namco, whatever.)
Smash Bros.: Subspace Baddies

Is there anything else? Some series, like Animal Crossing and Punch-Out!! it wouldn't make sense to have anything. Starfox and Fire Emblem have some choices. Aparoids, Risen, etc. Have we seen any of that yet?
I saw a darknut from Twilight Princess when I played the Smash run demo.

Interloper

Smash Cadet
NNID
interloper323
So hello. I've been wanting Shulk to be in since almost last year when I bought Xenoblade(I still haven't gotten around to playing it ;-;) in August of Last year. And now with the Gematsu Leak, Xenoblade X, and the tweet previously mentioned... I'm 100% sure we'll get Shulk. But something tells me he'll be a secret Character.. Not sure why, but I think that. But if he's not secret I hope we get a kick *** trailer soon!
We might see a trailer for shulk or Chrom during TGS. considering Xenoblade Chronicles has a bigger following in Japan, it would make sense.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Because I'm curious, I'm going to list all of them (based only off of a quick internet search, so may be inaccuracies).

In a long time:
Sheik (2007, not that long, but notable)
R.O.B. (1985, Never if we don't count the original R.O.B.)
Captain Olimar (~2004)
Fox (2002ish)
Falco (1993, extremely rare Japan-only UFO Catcher plush)
Marth
Ness
Lucas

Ever:
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Captain Falcon
Ike?
Mr. Game and Watch (if you don't count the games, which I don't.)
Palutena (All we have is AR cards)
Villager (Only ever had the animals as plushies and whatnot)
Wii Fit Trainer
Mii Fighters

However, we might want to be careful about getting our hopes up...

[Reggie] also declined to say how that first round of Amiibo would be released. For instance, would any come with Smash Bros.?

"We have nothing to announce at this point," he said, adding that the plan now was to launch Amiibo at the same time as Smash with "about 10" figures.

"We will continue to make new figures available through the balance of holiday 2014 and then we're going to continuously launch new figures throughout 2015," he said. "For us, we're not putting a numerical limit on how many varied figures we can launch. Our potential catalog of figures in the space is quite broad."

That's because, he said, they're based on characters from the Nintendo universe that have tremendous popularity.

"Even a figure like Marth, which, from a broad population, may not be well known but for that Smash playing audience, they know Marth," he said. "A lot of them enjoy playing as Marth. And then we believe that, given the lineup of figures, we're going to have a more diverse ownership base, not only male and female (because of Peach and Yoshi that appeal to girls) but also from an aging up standpoint because people are going to want to collect Samus. You're going to have people who want to collect Link, all these fantastic characters. So we think our footprint is going to be much larger than what the other people in this space have been able to accomplish."
So, basically, we have to buy some to convince Nintendo to do one for every fighter. I hope they at least do one for every newcomer.
They did do some key chain figurines of human villagers for Wild World (which are apparently the ones Sakurai is basing the costumes on).

Anyway, on topic...yeah, I'd bet money Adam Howden is under an NDA from Nintendo. I would imagine any project he's involved with (and already done voicework for) would be far enough into development that it would have been shown at E3. Given that most other games are ones where knowing Howden is involved would no longer be too revealing, there aren't many other things he could still be under an NDA for.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it? I mean, it doesn't seem too farfetched to me.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah I saw that Tweet earlier and it certainly got me a bit excited... I mean, it would honestly be silly to assume that there's way now he's talking about other games of which we aren't aware (especially since he does specifically say "games") but if there's any game you could get in trouble for revealing info about, it's Smash.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Speaking of that; what series to we have confirmed enemies for? Here's what I can think of...

Mario: Bowser minions (Goombas, Kamek, Koopas)
DK: Tikis and Kremlings
Zelda: Stalfos
Pokemon: Various Pokemon (Gastly, Koffing, Chandelure)
Kid Icarus: A whole ton of things.
Pikmin: Bulborbs
Metroid: Kihunters
Rhythm Heaven: Sneaky Spirits
Megaman :Mets
Sanic: Egg Robos
Pac-man: Pookas (Technically Dig-Dug, but Namco, whatever.)
Smash Bros.: Subspace Baddies

Is there anything else? Some series, like Animal Crossing and Punch-Out!! it wouldn't make sense to have anything. Starfox and Fire Emblem have some choices. Aparoids, Risen, etc. Have we seen any of that yet?
You forgot Kirby.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I dunno what to think about the Tweet. I won't take it as "Shulk confirmed" since he could be hypothetically be talking about any game.
If Shulk is in Smash (which I'm 95% confident in), then I bet that Adam would reprise his role as Shulk.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
We might see a trailer for shulk or Chrom during TGS. considering Xenoblade Chronicles has a bigger following in Japan, it would make sense.
Apologies for my ignorance, but what is TGS, and when is it? If it has a chance to reveal Shulk, I want to be keeping an eye out.

Also, reserved a copy of Chronicles, gonna go pick it up when it's ready. I can't wait!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Apologies for my ignorance, but what is TGS, and when is it? If it has a chance to reveal Shulk, I want to be keeping an eye out.

Also, reserved a copy of Chronicles, gonna go pick it up when it's ready. I can't wait!
TGS is the Tokyo Game Show, an anual trade show for game devs.

One problem is that, Nintendo never attended TGS, and they won't attend this one. In fact, since they started doing Directs they never attended any show that isn't E3.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
TGS is the Tokyo Game Show, an anual trade show for game devs.

One problem is that, Nintendo never attended TGS, and they won't attend this one. In fact, since they started doing Directs they never attended any show that isn't E3.
Ah, thanks for the info. That's a shame. I guess we're back to waiting on the next Direct then?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yep. Considering all newcomers were revealed in a Direct (bar WFT and Pac Man I guess), that's all we can go with. Although the question is which of three remaining Gematsu characters are we going to get? Unless Sakurai decided to reveal them all at once, which is possible but pretty unlikely.

Also, TGS is held after Smash 3DS gets released in Japan anyway. Just checked the date. =P

D

Deleted member

Although the question is which of three remaining Gematsu characters are we going to get?
I hope that it's Shulk...
But, I have a feeling that it's going to be Chrom...
Who knows? Maybe there would be a duel reveal trailer where Shulk and Chrom fight against each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom