• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
I'm really hoping that character customization does not come at the expense of the main character. I'd be really disappointed by this. I want to see him involved with other characters. The Shulk and Fiora relationship was one of my favorite parts of the 1st game and avenging Fiora is basically Shulk's driving force. Imagine how different the game would be if Shulk didn't talk.

Also something to note is that they're called humans instead of Homs now.

Last edited:

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I'm really hoping that character customization does not come at the expense of the main character. I'd be really disappointed by this.

Also something to note is that they're called humans instead of Homs now.
Thats because they are Humans and not Homs, wich basically could mean that:
1) X is a prequel.
2) The X universe is a recreation of the universe that existed before the first Xenoblade.

Well this time YOU, are the protagonist of Xenoblade. You or anyone you want (like with the Miis in SSB, Ridley Mii please). I just hope that they allow you to express and determinate a personality if they really want to introduce you inside the history.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit that I've been a lesser fan of silent protagonists, over ones with a voice. Yeah... you can give silent ones your own voice in a way, but I have always disliked how characters talk to them and they never respond.

Loved everything about the demo, aside from when Elma introduced herself and the main character kind of just stared at her until she responded.

Edit: I think it bugged me more when she basically acknowledged that you weren't speaking. How do you fit your own characters voice into that? Urhg.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm watching the Live Treehouse Stream and the demo players are talking about characters they prefer. One of the guys said he is leaning towards some characters that have yet to be revealed......

I'm happy with the E3 information we got but I still can't wait to find out more

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking about the prequel idea for a while. I was thinking, if that were the case, the Shulk look-a-like at the end of the first trailer would be...well, y'know.

I'm also a little disappointed by the customization character being silent, I know it's supposed to represent the player him/herself in the game, but I can never relate with silent characters. I hope there's a good variety of answer choices. From calm nice guy answers to snarky rude answers. That's my only concern for XCX though. Loving everything else so far.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, I don't like the fact the main protagonist is the player and he's silent. It gives me a hard time to relate to the character.

Ah well. The rest of the game looks amazing as is.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I don't like the fact the main protagonist is the player and he's silent. It gives me a hard time to relate to the character.

Ah well. The rest of the game looks amazing as is.
At the very least, I wonder if the choices they give you to say will affect character relationships. Would rather have a MeliaxShulk situation after all. XD

D

Deleted member

At the very least, I wonder if the choices they give you to say will affect character relationships. Would rather have a MeliaxShulk situation after all. XD
I think that it could happen. It depends if Monolith Soft would want X (I will still refer this game by that title BTW) to go in that direction with some fan service and shipping.

If anything, I just hope that the choices we make will impact the story in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
The thought of the X protagonist in smash is pretty much abolished at this point. Not that anyone found it likely anyway.

I love when player choice affects story. Here's hoping

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm doubting any more newcomer reveals at E3. That being said, I will gladly accept any more newcomer reveals at E3.

D

Deleted member

I doubt that we will get Shulk with the remaining time at E3... but I want it to happen!

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Shulk is all but confirmed right now because of the Gematsu leak... when he is confirmed, he's definitely my main or second main.

unless he plays like arse

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Believe me, Shulk is not going to be as terrible as Kirby in Melee.

You'll have to try really hard to stoop to those pathetic levels.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Hey guys, major lurker here and I just wanted to pop in to say that I have fully supported Shulk for this game since day one. Didn't bother to post this sooner because i'm kinda shy so yeah.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, major lurker here and I just wanted to pop in to say that I have fully supported Shulk for this game since day one. Didn't bother to post this sooner because i'm kinda shy so yeah.
Well then, allow me to welcome you to the Shulk Support Thread, where we have supported shulk getting into the game and have scraped for evidence pointing in his direction. XD

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Well then, allow me to welcome you to the Shulk Support Thread, where we have supported shulk getting into the game and have scraped for evidence pointing in his direction. XD
So have I, so have I. Well, atleast it finally looks like he has gained some serious ground!

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Frankly, they should just make the Shulk forum now, it's really a formality at this point lol.

In all seriousness though, can't wait to see him. Chrom and Chorus Men are w/e, so Shulk's the biggest form of hype I know about to look forward too.

On the note of X's protagonist, I appreciate silent protags because it lets you better immerse yourself into the world, because it's essentially an avatar of you. That being said, I much prefer the likes of main characters like Shulk, because it gives the story a much better emotional feel in seeing the character change and grow. It can be hard to be invested after all when your avatar is all like "..." while facing down a being who wants to destroy the universe.

Also I want to say it's a sequel, set after Shulk reforms the universe, because we've seen Shulk used in earlier trailers (just his face, but still shown), and I don't think Shulk would even exist if this was a prequel.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
At the very least, if Sakurai can make a Swordfighting Mii have a unique moveset, he can definitely do it with Chrom.

(He should've just given Chrom that moveset and made a different character, but whatever...)

Oh well, now I'm just sitting here wanting to see Shulk, because he's the only character left that is legitimately exciting to me. Chrom is neat and all, but Shulk is all I actually need...(Well, apart from characters that apparently are worth less than 3 ****ing Miis.)

:salt:

D

Deleted member

Shulk is the only newcomer of the three that I'm the most hyped for.
I never played Rhythm Heaven, so I can't be hyped with Chorus Men...

The odd thing is that I recently got Fire Emblem: Awakening and I absolutely love this game, but the thought of Chrom in Smash doesn't hype me. I can't see his potential as a fighter while playing the game and I can't relate to him at all (hell, I would take some Awakening characters over him).

This is the exact opposite with Shulk. See potential in him as a fighter. I see what they can do with him to make him one of the most interesting and unique fighters in Smash. When I started to play Xenoblade, I liked Shulk from the start. I honestly can relate to Shulk... but I can't with Chrom...

So, I am only hyped by one of the Gematsu characters. I just hope that we see him in August because this wait is agonizing me!

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how being able to connect to Shulk is possible. I don't think many people have witnessed the girl they like get murdered by a robot and go searching for revenge, haha.

All jokes aside, I would have to disagree, though. I think all three are hype-worthy. I'm hyped for Chorus Men even though I've never played a Rhythm Heaven game cause they're so adorable. I haven't gotten far in Awakening and I'm still excited for Chrom and if they can give Miis a swordsman moveset, Chrom should be no exception. Maybe it's because I like the Fire Emblem series so much.

But I would have to agree that Shulk has me super hyped. I can't wait to see how he'll play. It's going to be fantastic. I was hoping we'd see him today but that was just wishful thinking. Guess we'll have to wait.

D

Deleted member

I don't see how being able to connect to Shulk is possible. I don't think many people have witnessed the girl they like get murdered by a robot and go searching for revenge, haha.

All jokes aside, I would have to disagree, though. I think all three are hype-worthy. I'm hyped for Chorus Men even though I've never played a Rhythm Heaven game cause they're so adorable. I haven't gotten far in Awakening and I'm still excited for Chrom and if they can give Miis a swordsman moveset, Chrom should be no exception. Maybe it's because I like the Fire Emblem series so much.

But I would have to agree that Shulk has me super hyped. I can't wait to see how he'll play. It's going to be fantastic. I was hoping we'd see him today but that was just wishful thinking. Guess we'll have to wait.
There is a part of me that is excited to see what the Chorus Men can do. Yet, at the same time, I have never played Rhythm Heaven to truly be excited for them. As for Chrom, it's merely due to the pessimism of him possibly being in the middle road of Marth and Ike. I will say this though, if there was a trailer where Shulk and Chrom were fighting each other, I would be pretty hyped.

I hope that we get a major Smash Direct in August and Shulk gets confirmed. I mean, they have to make a Smash Direct since they would be nearing the release of the game in Japan.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Shulk is the only newcomer of the three that I'm the most hyped for.
I never played Rhythm Heaven, so I can't be hyped with Chorus Men...

The odd thing is that I recently got Fire Emblem: Awakening and I absolutely love this game, but the thought of Chrom in Smash doesn't hype me. I can't see his potential as a fighter while playing the game and I can't relate to him at all (hell, I would take some Awakening characters over him).

This is the exact opposite with Shulk. See potential in him as a fighter. I see what they can do with him to make him one of the most interesting and unique fighters in Smash. When I started to play Xenoblade, I liked Shulk from the start. I honestly can relate to Shulk... but I can't with Chrom...

So, I am only hyped by one of the Gematsu characters. I just hope that we see him in August because this wait is agonizing me!
I agree, the only remaining known character I'm really interested in is Shulk. Chrom is... meh to me. I can't see him as anything but an "in-between" of Ike and Marth. And I can't stand rhythm games and the Chorus Men just don't look that interesting to me. I've always wanted to play Xenoblade and Shulk sounds neat, so it'll be interesting to see how he plays.

Blue Fang

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedIdol82
New guy here, giving my support for Shulk! I've practically beaten Xenoblade Chronicles (stuck on the final boss), and Shulk is for sure my most wanted character. All the E3 hype, especially how the Gematsu leak is looking to be more and more legit, convinced me to make an account here. I was kinda hoping for Shulk to be revealed yesterday, but I was more than happy with Palutena's reveal, for the time being.

The chances against Shulk are weak, BUT DON'T DROP YOUR GUARD!

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Frankly, they should just make the Shulk forum now, it's really a formality at this point lol.

In all seriousness though, can't wait to see him. Chrom and Chorus Men are w/e, so Shulk's the biggest form of hype I know about to look forward too.

On the note of X's protagonist, I appreciate silent protags because it lets you better immerse yourself into the world, because it's essentially an avatar of you. That being said, I much prefer the likes of main characters like Shulk, because it gives the story a much better emotional feel in seeing the character change and grow. It can be hard to be invested after all when your avatar is all like "..." while facing down a being who wants to destroy the universe.

Also I want to say it's a sequel, set after Shulk reforms the universe, because we've seen Shulk used in earlier trailers (just his face, but still shown), and I don't think Shulk would even exist if this was a prequel.
What if it is not Shulk? Could be Zanza (since he looked like Shulk even when he was a human) thus still making it possible for it to be a prequel.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
That particular comment about the roster stood out to me too, and of course as always, I instantly thought of Shulk for no reason. Still, I can't wait to see him if he's in. It'll be a great pick me up after having to deal with so much damn complaining about the game in general over the last few hours...

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I really hope he keeps his english voice actor, I don't know why but british accents get me extremely pumped!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
With X being confirmed as part of Xenoblade Chronicles' mythology (because we really needed that apparently) there is no way Shulk's not in. I'm actually even expecting a stage based on XCX, because why not, Sonic Lost World had one.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I still think a stage is a possibility. Did anything ever come out of Shulk's japanese VA tweeting that message? Was he confirmed for anything?

D

Deleted member

Whatever what will happen now, we can all agree that the "one-shot" argument has been shot down with the confirmation that X and Xenoblade shape a series.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Congratulations, Shulk is in.

There are Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run, this basically confirms Gematsu as true, and as you all know, Shulk is on that list.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Congratulations, Shulk is in.

There are Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run, this basically confirms Gematsu as true, and as you all know, Shulk is on that list.
I was going to come in here and get giddy with y'all, but it seems we know this. Also, if anyone's watching the Treehouse live, Xenoblade Chronicles X is about to be shown, so maybe we'll get a hint at Shulk there? WHO KNOWS!?

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I just read what Zero posting about a big upcoming announcement. If it was a newcomer then I'd put my money on Shulk, but I'm skeptical that he would have insider information.

Hopefully the demo doesn't spoil too much. I like to go into JRPGs practically blind.

Tons of nods to Xenoblade confirmed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom