• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
No offense, but that Xenoblade test really needs some improvement. I ended up getting Dunban. From the answers I chose, I am surprised I did not get Egil or Metal Face. And anyway, just how is Shulk pessimistic? The way I have always seen it, Shulk was never cynical so much as he was logical. [Shrugs] Maybe I missed something; I don't know.
Shulk's pessimistic because he often doubted himself, I guess.

D

Deleted member

Those results sum up my personality in a nutshell. I'm now considering changing my avatar to Melia, but at the same time, everyone sees me as Fierce Deity Link.

I'm sorry for those who are still anxiously waiting for Fiora or Sharla.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I just played through the first three hours of the game for the second time and all I can say is wow...it is just as great as I remember. The sequences leading up to when Shulk and Reyn set out on their adventure are fantastic. If only I could play the game as if it were my first time again. X hype in two days.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I thought of an idea recently regarding Shulk's in-game... feel, I guess? Basically, I just think it'd be cool if the devs made some creative use of the rumble feature for Shulk. They could use it to sort of transfer the feeling of wielding a powerful and hard-to-control weapon to the player by putting rumble into the startup of his more powerful attacks and/or attacks that charge. Some might find that kind of annoying, but I think it'd be pretty neat.

D

Deleted member

I thought of an idea recently regarding Shulk's in-game... feel, I guess? Basically, I just think it'd be cool if the devs made some creative use of the rumble feature for Shulk. They could use it to sort of transfer the feeling of wielding a powerful and hard-to-control weapon to the player by putting rumble into the startup of his more powerful attacks and/or attacks that charge. Some might find that kind of annoying, but I think it'd be pretty neat.
Hmm... I say that should be a more visual effect. The rumble idea is nice (and I like it indeed!), but unfortunately, not everyone has the grace of using a controller with a rumble feature and could potentially be at a disadvantage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Hmm... I say that should be a more visual effect. The rumble idea is nice (and I like it indeed!), but unfortunately, not everyone has the grace of using a controller with a rumble feature and could potentially be at a disadvantage.
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. There should of course be some visual indication of an attack's charge or startup, but I'm saying there could be a rumble along with it.

For example, if Ike's Eruption caused the player's controller to slowly rumble harder and harder as it charged, that would be what I'm talking about. And since rumble is already a feature within the game, I'm not sure how it would be any more unfair to some players in this circumstance.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Shulk should have some telegraphed characteristics for any attacks that have incredibly ridiculous range. Like if he has Slit Edge as one of his attacks, give the attack a decent amount of lag to compensate for the incredible range. But it should only apply some attacks, because Shulk should still have a selection of fast attacks in order to give the character mix-up and combo potential.

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. There should of course be some visual indication of an attack's charge or startup, but I'm saying there could be a rumble along with it.

For example, if Ike's Eruption caused the player's controller to slowly rumble harder and harder as it charged, that would be what I'm talking about. And since rumble is already a feature within the game, I'm not sure how it would be any more unfair to some players in this circumstance.
Oh! I thought you meant that the rumble feature should be incorporated into his gameplay (like for example, you know Wario Waft is fully charged by the rumble and not a visual cue). My bad.

Shulk should have some telegraphed characteristics for any attacks that have incredibly ridiculous range. Like if he has Slit Edge as one of his attacks, give the attack a decent amount of lag to compensate for the incredible range. But it should only apply some attacks, because Shulk should still have a selection of fast attacks in order to give the character mix-up and combo potential.
I imagine Shulk would be like that in Smash. Seeing as how all of his Arts take a while to execute, I can only imagine that his attacks will be heavily telegraphed in Smash.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Oh! I thought you meant that the rumble feature should be incorporated into his gameplay (like for example, you know Wario Waft is fully charged by the rumble and not a visual cue). My bad.

I imagine Shulk would be like that in Smash. Seeing as how all of his Arts take a while to execute, I can only imagine that his attacks will be heavily telegraphed in Smash.
Yeah, I probably should have used an example in the first place, especially since I was struggling with how to word my explanation while typing it.

And about the telegraphing thing. One thing I noticed while playing Xenoblade recently and watching Shulk's auto-attacks is that he's a bit stiff in his posture when attacking. He doesn't really lean in to his attacks very much and his arms are usually bent during his swings. Contrast with Marth, who extends his arm to its full length and pushes his shoulders far ahead of his waist with most of his strikes. I think Shulk's basic attacks, such as jabs and a tilt or two, might draw into this aspect of Shulk's style to balance out the Monado's reach.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
OI imagine Shulk would be like that in Smash. Seeing as how all of his Arts take a while to execute, I can only imagine that his attacks will be heavily telegraphed in Smash.
It would mostly be more comparable to Ky from Guily Gear.

Except for Slit Edge, I can see that being more comparable to Faust's Rerere's Thrust attack.

Also, yes, I am going to make Guilty Gear references.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
SO UM SPOILERS BELOW ABOUT MY PLAYTHROUGH
WHAT. THE. WHAT. SO. I beat Egil. That fight was crazy cool. Dickson shot Shulk. He was always ambiguous so i wanted to know his reason. Then Zanza came out of Shulk. I was blown away by that. Insanity. From here on, it's been a roller-coaster of "wut wut wut" and "gotta grind it out". Wut moments include the High Entia being Telethia, the destruction of Mechonis, and Alvis still being ambiguous. Disciple Lorithia was a stupid fight that i just had to grind until i was 75 myself just to stand a chance. I'm in prison island, saved in front of where Dickson is, after going through the kitchen and banquet hall and flipping switches. Currently level 77 and using Shulk, Fiora, and Riki.
I'm hoping to beat the game before Nintendo's conference tomorrow in case X has spoilers to the end of Xenoblade. Oh, and of course in case Shulk's reveal trailer has some spoilers.

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
WHAT. THE. WHAT. SO. I beat Egil. That fight was crazy cool. ****son shot Shulk. He was always ambiguous so i wanted to know his reason. Then Zanza came out of Shulk. I was blown away by that. Insanity. From here on, it's been a roller-coaster of "wut wut wut" and "gotta grind it out". Wut moments include the High Entia being Telethia, the destruction of Mechonis, and Alvis still being ambiguous. Disciple Lorithia was a stupid fight that i just had to grind until i was 75 myself just to stand a chance. I'm in prison island, saved in front of where ****son is, after going through the kitchen and banquet hall and flipping switches. Currently level 77 and using Shulk, Fiora, and Riki.
I'm hoping to beat the game before Nintendo's conference tomorrow in case X has spoilers to the end of Xenoblade. Oh, and of course in case Shulk's reveal trailer has some spoilers.
Heheh. Can't wait until you reach the last bit. XD

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
WHAT. THE. WHAT. SO. I beat Egil. That fight was crazy cool. ****son shot Shulk. He was always ambiguous so i wanted to know his reason. Then Zanza came out of Shulk. I was blown away by that. Insanity. From here on, it's been a roller-coaster of "wut wut wut" and "gotta grind it out". Wut moments include the High Entia being Telethia, the destruction of Mechonis, and Alvis still being ambiguous. Disciple Lorithia was a stupid fight that i just had to grind until i was 75 myself just to stand a chance. I'm in prison island, saved in front of where ****son is, after going through the kitchen and banquet hall and flipping switches. Currently level 77 and using Shulk, Fiora, and Riki.
I told you you had a few more levels to go. You should be able to beat the game in a night from where you're at.

I'm kind of nervous for tomorrow. Anyone else nervous?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
It's Xenoblade's fourth anniversary in Japan! I'm so hyped for X. *o*

Did you grind inside the Bionis' Interior? You would've saved a ton of time in Bionis' Leg instead, where there's already a lot of level 70-78 monsters. :p

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
https://twitter.com/sogorukyo/status/476017276584333313

Japanese Shulk's voice actor, Shintaro Asanuma
Tweeted this morning that He hopes he can tell us some good news soon.
I may be jumping the gun here for us, but. . . Shulk confirmed!

Edit: I mean, if it's not SSB4, then it'll be Shulk returning as a character in Monolith Soft's upcoming "X". . . I can't see us not seeing or hearing about Shulk in the near-future now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm really scared! Especially after...

https://twitter.com/sogorukyo/status/476017276584333313

Japanese Shulk's voice actor, Shintaro Asanuma
Tweeted this morning that He hopes he can tell us some good news soon.
THIS.
I'm scared out of my wits! I really hope that they confirm Shulk tomorrow! THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN! PLEASE LET THE FUTURE BELONG TO SHULK! MONADO, LEND US YOUR POWER!

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
HOLY JESUS. SHULK CONFIRMED FOR... WELL SOMETHING TOMORROW. I AM SO HYPED RIGHT NOW.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy that, even if he doesn't end up in the new Smash... that X will at least soften the blow for me. Rofl. XD

As much as I want Shulk in the most out of any other character, I'm still trying to keep everything in check as best I can. The fear, the fear and hype.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
It's Xenoblade's fourth anniversary in Japan! I'm so hyped for X. *o*

Did you grind inside the Bionis' Interior? You would've saved a ton of time in Bionis' Leg instead, where there's already a lot of level 70-78 monsters. :p
Nope, i'm a dope and grinded in the interior. Levels 71-75. Took me about 3 hours. Was monotonous.

This is great, wish I've beaten Xenoblade before the potential reveal tomorrow though. :(
By the quote below, it sounds like i might be able to. :chuckle:
I told you you had a few more levels to go. You should be able to beat the game in a night from where you're at.

And I've got from when i get home from work (read: 7 after eating dinner) until around midnight to finish. Hopefully that's enough time. And if not, i can wake up at 8 tomorrow and play until ~11 before E3 starts, considering i took the day off from my office job to watch it :awesome:

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
D

Deleted member

Stay calm... stay focused...
Let's not lose our heads, let's stay alert, and we cannot be reckless. Hopefully everyone do good at that!
And, most importantly, DON'T DROP YOUR GUARDS! After all, we mustn't be careless.

I'm nervous though... our journey might come to an end...
Hopefully our Vision is true.

Morbi

Scavenger
HOLY ****ING JESUS.

Alright. Alright. Got to remain calm. Either Shulk is in X, or he's in Smash, or both. Wait, that's not me being calm. My hype levels aren't going to stop. Onward!

Let's not lose our heads though!
As I asserted earlier; I would find it odd if Shulk as in X, but not in Smash. Still, both voice actors have big reveals in mind; so regardless, Shulk is going to be in something. That is good enough for me.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Your Hype....it did not cut deep enough

I'm so pumped for tomorrow. I'm happy the original VA is returning to something. I never understood the complaints about the actors

Last edited:

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you guys went ham while I was away for a bit.

Like everyone else has said, I'm super hyped for tomorrow. The chance of Shulk returning to X or Smash Bros. makes me super excited. I can't wait.

And here's a small picture that made me chuckle a little.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/sogorukyo/status/476023132621258753 Here's another tweet from Shulk's voice actor. I don't know Japanese at all so I just translated it roughly from what Google Translate did.

"Oh, I didn't mean anything in particular by that tweet. I wish there is something to celebrate. Anyways, *Sakurai laughter* I celebrate the 4th year anniversary because the future cannot be viewed!"

Sorry if this is inaccurate, I tried my best, haha. Seems like he's trying to troll us if anything, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Like everyone else has said, I'm super hyped for tomorrow. The chance of Shulk returning to X or Smash Bros. makes me super excited. I can't wait.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/sogorukyo/status/476023132621258753 Here's another tweet from Shulk's voice actor. I don't know Japanese at all so I just translated it roughly from what Google Translate did.

"Oh, I didn't mean anything in particular by that tweet. I wish there is something to celebrate. Anyways, *Sakurai laughter* I celebrate the 4th year anniversary because the future cannot be viewed!"

Sorry if this is inaccurate, I tried my best, haha. Seems like he's trying to troll us if anything, but we'll see.
I am not too worried about his retraction, that cat is out of the bag. Shulk is inevitable in at least one major Nintendo. Hopefully both, by the power of the Monado!

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Awww, all that hype for nothing. (Better to kill my hype now, just in case.)

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean, he couldn't exactly reveal anything, now could he? :shades:

Also, don't let that kill your hype. They may not show anything, but I remember Next Level games tweeting before the February direct, and everyone went to their twitter and went "OH MY ****ING GOD LITTLE MAC CONFIRMED" and they were like "Nah man, we're just excited about the Direct tomorrow is all."

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I feel like Shulk has a pretty good chance of getting revealed tomorrow. Especially when you consider that X is probably going to get a title and bit of information.

One can only hope. I'm praying we get to celebrate by this time tomorrow!

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Here's hoping Shulk is revealed as a playable character tomorrow. :)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Anyone notice the reply he got?

@sogorukyo 一月送ったプレゼントに書いたモナドの絵、覚えていますか?
Picture of monado wrote a present that sent in January, do you remember?

He responded to that with:
@Rimi_KOS_MOS もちろんです!ありがとうございます!
@Rimi_KOS_MOS Yes, of course! Thank you!

I think he just acknowledged that picture of the Monado that Sakurai tweeted out, but I'm not positive.

Can you translate, @Venus of the Desert Bloom ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom