• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I just want Shulk revealed so people can stop with the double standard crap.

Also I would like Shulk to be revealed because my pool of newcomers I've wanted is ever shrinking.

("I want Shulk" is starting to become ironic)

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
The excess of confidence with Shulk and Palutena fanbase is quite annoying.

Groose

Smash Champion

Well, he is my favorite Xenoblade character. I would have no objections if the impossible happens and he were chosen over Shulk.

Morbi

Scavenger

Well, he is my favorite Xenoblade character. I would have no objections if the impossible happens and he were chosen over Shulk.
I got Dunban as well; and just the same, I would not mind if Dunban were selected over Shulk. Although, if any other "Xenoblade" character were to be chosen, I assume it would be "X" protagonist. Shulk is fine in my book though.

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
*doing what everybody else is doing*

What do you know, I'm the character I want in SSB4 the most! Perhaps our fates were predetermined after all.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks

I took the quiz, like, three times. Two times I chose everything that had to do with Dunban (no shame), but I still got Melia every time.

I want Dunban, dang it. He is best.

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354

I took the quiz, like, three times. Two times I chose everything that had to do with Dunban (no shame), but I still got Melia every time.

I want Dunban, dang it. He is best.
I can't help but laugh at the weirdness of this situation.

Manipulating the results of the quiz, which is rather unbecoming of someone allegedly similar to Melia, got you a result you didn't want, and that result was Melia.

See, that's irony.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
The confidence in this thread only annoys me in that it's infectious. So my potentially dashed hopes are on your heads...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, since I'll be just as disappointed as you, but can't contain my optimism, I accept.

Also, my results was:

Y'know, it fits. It really does.

GloriousV

Smash Cadet
Hello, I hope is not to late to add one more supporter. I have to admit that I have never played this game, Im completely ignorant to it so my reasons for Shulk being added to Smash 4 don't have anything to do with the character. My reason for supporting this character is solely based on the influence of the game Xenoblade.

I probably don't need to tell you guys how much a phenomenon this game was for Nintendo, Nintendo themselves didn't think it would sell that well in North America and Europe which is why they didn't initially released it there. To their surprise, the games sold out and racked up a good 800k. If you want to find out a little more about Xenoblade sells, check out this article.

http://playeressence.com/xenoblades-sales-numbers-point-to-a-bright-future-for-x-on-wii-u/

From a business perspective it makes complete sense for Shulk to be added to this game.

1. Shulk isn't just a popular requested character for smash, Shulk is a popular requested character from a popular game. Nintendo takes no gamble here by using resources for development of this character, quite the opposite, this is a safe bet. Given the game's popularity and good reviews, people will obviously be interested in using this character in Smash 4, which means more sells for Smash 4.

2. This is a perfect series to establish in Smash. With the success of Xenoblade and the much awaited "X", is to be expected this series to do well for many years to come. Smash should take this opportunity to establish the series early so when the next Smash game comes, you don't have to catch up to a series that might be one of the best Nintendo exclusives by that point. Also is an RPG with many characters, so coming up with character ideas in the future shouldn't be a hassle.

These are my two main reasons for supporting this character, Id be very shocked if I don't see Shulk in Smash and Id be quite dissapointed at Nintendo for letting such an obvious decision just slip away.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
It's hard for me to decide who my favorite character is. I love all of them so much. One thing is undeniable for me though: Dunban is a certified bad***.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If you think so, then you certainly won't mind me quoting this for great justice in case of a couple potential reveals.

We'll see whose confidence is unwarranted! :shades:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My excess of confidence comes from the fact that I believe Sal Romano and always felt the Shulk was underrated by a lot of people until recently.

I'm pretty sure Shulk is in.

D

Deleted member

My confidence mainly comes from the situation that Shulk is in. There is just so much going for him that it would be odd if he was excluded.

I won't deny the fact that he could be an Assist Trophy, but I think that he's playable.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ah, the Smash community, where optimism and positive thinking are thought of as negative traits.

Don't know why you are bringing Palutena into this by the way, but she is in a safer position then any other newcomer and it has NOTHING to do with any leaks.

Is there any fanbase you think SHOULD be confident, by the way?

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Ah, the Smash community, where optimism and positive thinking are thought of as negative traits.

Don't know why you are bringing Palutena into this by the way, but she is in a safer position then any other newcomer and it has NOTHING to do with any leaks.

Is there any fanbase you think SHOULD be confident, by the way?
Keyword is excess.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I may ask, why morbidaltruism giving likes to all the post replies of this page in the thread...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Congratulations to everyone who took the "Which Xenoblade character are you quiz" for not getting Sharla. We're all winners.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Did anyone get Shulk or Fiora, come to think of it? Or Riki.

I just saw a bunch of Melia, Dunban and Reyn.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Did anyone get Shulk or Fiora, come to think of it? Or Riki.

I just saw a bunch of Melia, Dunban and Reyn.
*doing what everybody else is doing*

What do you know, I'm the character I want in SSB4 the most! Perhaps our fates were predetermined after all.
Dunno about Fiora, but I definitely saw someone with Shulk. (I didn't take it. I'd rather play the game first, and unfortunately I find it highly unlikely I'll ever get my hands on it. :p)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
No offense, but that Xenoblade test really needs some improvement. I ended up getting Dunban. From the answers I chose, I am surprised I did not get Egil or Metal Face. And anyway, just how is Shulk pessimistic? The way I have always seen it, Shulk was never cynical so much as he was logical. [Shrugs] Maybe I missed something; I don't know.

Anyhow, I just thought I would post this moveset of Shulk that I have been writing--or at least what I have written so far. Most of the moves derive from Shulk's own arts, whilst others were inspired by various cutscenes throughout the game. Any constructive criticism is welcome. I will definitely post the finished version if I manage to complete it before E3.

Oh, and if Shulk does make it in the game as playable, I hope he will have his goggles.

[collapse="Shulk moveset"]
Index
1). Jab & Dash Attack
2). Tilt Attacks
*3). Smash Attacks
*4). Aerial Attacks
5). Special Attacks
*6). Grab Attacks
*7). Taunts, Poses, Etc.
*8). Final Smash

1). Jab & Dash Attack:

Jab 1: Shulk performs a swift downward vertical slash of his sword.
Jab 2: Shulk follows up with a swift horizontal slash of his sword.

Dash Attack: Shulk jumps forward and brings his sword to the ground with a two-handed vertial slash that sends the opponent flying a medium distance. (Author's Note: This move derives from the cutscene in which an enraged Shulk charges at Metal Face after Metal Face taunts him.)

2). Tilts Attacks:

Note: All of Shulk's tilts can be jab-cancelled into.

Forward Tilt (Stream Edge): Shulk steps backward whilst drawing his sword back, gathering momentum, then performs a strong horizontal slash that covers a long distance. If the opponent is on the ground, this move does not deal much knockback, but it does lots of damage and has a high chance of tripping the opponent. If the opponent is in the air, he/she will be sent flying or even KO'ed, depending on their damage percentage. Slow startup.

Upward Tilt: Shulk swiftly swing his sword above him in an arc, sending any nearby opponent flying upward a short distance. Quick startup.

Downward Tilt (Slit Edge): Shulk draws his sword close to his body with both hands, then performs a powerful thrust that pushes the opponent away. Very slightly slow startup.

3). Smash Attacks (incomplete):

Forward Smash (Back Slash): Shulk raises his sword whilst leaping in the air, then brings his sword down on the opponent with bone-breaking force, sending the opponent flying. Very slightly slow startup. Can kill at high percentages. This move will do twice the damage and knockback if it hits the opponent from behind.

Upward Smash ():

Downward Smash (Shaker Edge): Shulk slowly spins around whilst raising his sword, then brings his down onto the opponent with bone-breaking force. Slow startup. This move does not knock the oppent very far, but does lots of damage. If the opponent is sitting down (due to being tripped), lying down, or asleep when this attack hits, he or she will be dazed for several seconds.

4). Aerial Attacks (incomplete):

Neutral Aerial: Shulk spins around in a circle with his sword arm held outward, performing a 360-degree horizontal slash that knocks the opponent(s) away a short distance. Quick startup.

Forward Aerial (Air Slash): Shulk performs a swift rising vertical slash of his sword. Very slightly slow startup. Whilst Shulk is using this move, he will be kept afloat.

Backward Aerial (Reverse Air Slash): Shulk turns around and performs a swift rising vertical slash of his sword. Very slightly slow startup. Whilst Shulk is using this move, he will be kept afloat. Just like Marth's backward aerial in Brawl, this move will cause Shulk to switch directions.

Upward Aerial:

Downward Aerial: Shulk plummets downward a short distance whilst performing a strong descending two-handing strike with his sword, spiking the opponent. Very slightly slow startup. (Author's Note: This move derives from the cutscene in which Shulk first weilds the Monado.)

5). Special Attacks:

Standard Special (Monado Buster): Shulk extends the blade of his sword, then performs a strong vertical slash that sends the opponent(s) flying. Extremely powerful, covers a wide range, and can kill at less than 50% damage, but very slow startup.

Side Special (Monado Purge): Shulk leaps into the air, then swings his sword upward at a vertical angle, conjuring a green wave of energy that temporarily stuns the opponent. Very slightly slow startup. If Shulk uses this move in the air, he will enter helpless frames after.

Upward Special (Monado Cyclone): Shulk leaps into the air whilst raising his sword, then conjures around him a field of energy that damages opponents whislt sending them falling on their butt. If the opponent is in the air, he/she will be spiked. Slightly slow startup.

Downward Special (Shadow Eye): Shulk crouches, ninja-like. At the same time, there is a brief glint in his eye. If the player presses the special button again, Shulk will disappear. If an opponent attacks Shulk whilst he is crouching, he will automatically disappear. Shulk will then instantly reappear either in the same spot at which he disappeared, or in the direction in which the player holds the control stick. This move is very similar to Meta-Knight's downward special in Brawl, except Shulk does not attack upon reappearing. It also travels further. Quick startup. Can be used as a recovery move. After Shulk uses this move, his next attack will deal increased damage and knockback.

6). Grab Attacks (incomplete):

Grab:
Pummel:
Forward Throw:
Backward Throw:
Upward Throw:
Downward Throw:

7). Taunts, Poses, Etc. (incomplete):

"You never stood a chance."
"I need to be even stronger!"
"Piece of cake!"

On-stage appearance:

8). Final Smash (incomplete):

Final Smash (Chain Attack?):
[/collapse]

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
No offense, but that Xenoblade test really needs some improvement. I ended up getting Dunban. From the answers I chose, I am surprised I did not get Egil or Metal Face. And anyway, just how is Shulk pessimistic? The way I have always seen it, Shulk was never cynical so much as he was logical. [Shrugs] Maybe I missed something; I don't know.
It's based on each characters skill trees. Shulk's 5 skill trees are Integrity, Humanity, Intuition, Pessimism, and Bravery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom